[IC] TFW Chapter 2: Wrath

Shamitako

Anemone

"No no, l get that. But it is 100% your magic. l know you can't see what l do however... the signatures of that little balloon and this creature are identical other than power level. They share an origin, that would be you. However, knowing how they work might explain somethings about how thi..." Anemone suddenly just stopped talking and moving entirely. lt appeared she had shut down entirely at least on surface level. She stopped swaying her focus everything. She just sat there, entirely still. The only evidence she was still in the world o the living was the slow rise and fall of her chest. She was still clearly breathing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheryn

No sign of aggression, no attempt to flee... just standing there not even caring as the fires tore up her legs. Cheryn stared right back at the little criminal, from behind the Rad barrier. Her face was an unreadable mask, taking stock of not only the girl, but the destruction that had been wrought be her apparent death wish. Already she was calculating the size of the place, the rate the fire was spreading, how much longer Caliber's Favor would last in this madness...

"Burning up is a pretty shitty way to go," She said, "If you wanted to off yourself, there are quicker, easier, and less painful ways..." Her eyes narrowed, becoming dangerous slits of crimson, as she brought up her hands and clapped them together like thunder. In the next moment her palms slammed on either side of the door frame, scarlet lightning crackling from them. Simultaneously, another barrier formed, this one surrounding Caliber's body with a Sphere, protecting her from the fury of the very fire she'd caused. Cheryn took special care to lower the ambient radiation as much as possible, just as she had with Tallow... for now.

But at any sign of hostility, any sign of trying to break out, the first thing Cheryn was prepared to do would be to shrink the barrier down to uncomfortable size and increase the rads.

"Not that it matters, cause there's no way in hell I'm giving you the chance to try any of them. You know the type of shit you could've unleashed here? What would've gone down if this thing had spread to the rest of the place? What about Tallow, what about the other kids, huh?

Best case scenario, me and the others would manage to detect this mess in time and get everyone out, and the only thing lost is a place to stay... which would carry it's own metric shit ton of problems. Worse case though- we wouldn't catch it in time, and everyone of us would bite the dust along with you. What was your game plan here, Caliber? Why'd you pull this shit?"

Loki

Loki perked up happily. "I like this name, it sounds cool." she said, "Miss Scary-Eyes said it had something to do with an ancient trickster or whatever." She was well aware of and genuinely took pride in her nature as a prankster, so the name was more than welcome.

It was at this point that Genie reentered the room, she waved off any attention and headed over into a curtained off area of the room separate from Ice and Loki.

Caliber

"The fire wouldn't spread far enough to harm anyone, it would only have a chance to burn this room and the one attached." Caliber told Cheryn, her voice hollow, "I couldn't let this horrible place and all these torturous machines stay intact so that they could be used again, no matter how low that chance. I couldn't risk it. You say what about Tallow. This is about Tallow. So just leave me alone."

Wendy

Wendy and the eye both froze along with Anemone.

Cheryn

She went silent. The glow in her eyes faded until it was non-existent, she removed her hands from the door frame, though the protective barrier around Caliber and the entry way remained. She stared at the other girl, there in the flames, with an unreadable expression. All that filled the silence between them was the roar of the flames. Until finally...

"...I get it, Caliber. But I can't leave you alone. Not like this," she gestured to the chaos that had engulfed the room, and already would've moved into the Pod area had she not put up a roadblock to it's expansion. Despite the various thoughts storming in her head, the accusative tone once in her voice had vanished, replaced by... something else. Something not even she was entirely sure of. "At least come out of there, would you? It's done, they're gone now... there's no reason for you stay. and I ca-...won't just let you burn up."

Caliber

Caliber seemed to think for a while before nodding. "Alright." She started walking towards Cheryn inside the shield bubble with the expectation that it would either dissipate or follow.

Cheryn herself was beginning to feel the strain of maintaining her barriers. It was only the slightest sensation, but the feedback told her just how dangerous this fire was. If Caliber was wrong about the damage potential, it could prove disastrous.

"I see." She would have to let Chernobyl know about that, if she didn't already know. Genie's appearance drew a quick glance from her; she would have to ask Loki to retrieve the woman after they were finished with their questions. Speaking of, the next was likely a favorite of growing teenaged girls and their mothers everywhere. "Have you noticed any changes in your body since the last check?" she asked, expression as flat and neutral as always.

Anemone

The young woman didn't even notice the room freeze around her. She was lost in thought trying to puzzle together the strands she knew were floating around in this very room. Suddenly, her good arm flung up the skies with a violent jerking, and her palm collided with her forehead, with a resounding smack. With just as much energy, words started to just flow out of her at high velocity. "OH, MY, MERLlN! l'M AN lDlOT!!!" lt didn't stop at this exclaimation. Anemone kept going and there was definitely not a time for Wendy to interrupt the cascade of words.

"How did l not guess it sooner? lt was clear if l opened my eyes to where we are... but to what extent is such the case? Could it really be this? lt has to be. There's no other way... not if she can't remember creating the more powerful one. lt has to be through something involuntary, something she'd not have conscience thought to guide doing. That's how she'd not be able to remember it. Of course, that must be that answer. lt's the only logical conclusion. How did l not see this sooner? lt makes perfect sense. Perfect... PERFECT! lt's clearly the key to all this and it must be the answer. The mind is capable of so much more than usual in a dreamlike state, or when one is not in full control of it. lt's how we humans are. We're so much more powerful when we aren't actually thinking about it! lt's how these two creations are from the same creator despite one being bounds and leaps stronger than the other."

Loki

Loki seemed visibly upset by this question. "No, still nothing. At all. No height, no boobs, not even weird body hair." She scowled towards the curtain where Genie had disappeared.

Wendy

Wendy jumped back in surprise at Anemone's outbreak, it was of course rather startling in the wake of the previous stillness. "Whoa! Slow down, what?" Wendy couldn't keep up with the sheer volume of information spouting from Anemone. Hopefully some part of it would provide answers once Anemone calmed down and elaborated.

Anemone

"Ah, can't you see? lt's so simple Wendy!" She suddenly grabbed her by the side of her arm with the same intensity as her talking. She'd not hurt the other girl but she definitely jostle her around a bit. lt was a strange scene, if Anemone's other arm was working she'd have surely absentmindedly reached out without that one as well. However it just flailed dead and useless at her side. At this moment in time, she might've well only had one arm like the girl in front of her. She'd heal in the future though... Wendy would not. Regardless this moment didn't stand in her mind, as it was blazing at the speed of light. lt did not have time to ponder the moment occuring.

She quickly stepped around and flourished at the bed. "l presume these are your quarters? This being your bed?"

That faint twitch upward of the corner of her mouth appeared again as Ice made a quick note of Loki's response. "I see." A small portion of her was glad the girl was, well, still a girl and not a woman. If she grew, she might look EXACTLY like Merlin, and quite frankly Ice wasn't sure how to deal with that. Moving on, though, she had a goal here. "Just one more question. Have you developed any magical abilities or signs of such since the last check?" 

Loki

Loki stood up. "I've been waiting to show off all morning." She tipped forward towards the ground. Ice wasn't initially sure what was going on, but it seemed like Loki both braced herself with her arms and shifted into a roll. One Loki thudded into the floor and the other jumped back to her feet, because now there were somehow two Lokis. Both Loki's moaned and rubbed their noses. "I need a better way to do that." The one on the floor grumbled.

Wendy

"Um, yes? I thought that was obvious." Wendy told Anemone. "I asked for one of the manager's rooms so I could have greater privacy and nobody raised any objections." She wasn't sure what Anemone was getting at, at all. Apparently Anemone had found a piece of the puzzle that Wendigo hadn't, but Wendy already knew this was her room so that couldn't be the missing piece.

If Ice showed any reaction, it was a slight widening of the eyes before she quickly smoothed it over. "I see. Can you describe how that works and feels to me?" Her pencil scribbled furiously at the page, noting down the display of her apparently newfound powers and an idea or two on how they might operate. "It would help in understanding. Additionally, can you do anything else?" Suddenly splitting herself into two halves was not what Ice had expected from Loki; but then, the girl was probably happy about doing something unexpected. This seemed to be some sort of Spark ability, unless it was merely a quite convincing illusion. This seemed to be outside the realm of typical spellcasting, to say the least. . .

Tallow

Forge received a burst of pain and various images of pain before Tallow's voice came to her. "This is our body now, it follows our thoughts." He explained. To illustrate, Tallow thought about moving through the nearest wall and they moved through it. Strangely, Forge felt as if this were her own thought propelling them, and along with this feeling came another burst of pain and imagery. While in the wall their vision could see nothing, it was rather claustrophobic to have your vision cut off in the instant it began, but soon they exited back into one of the narrow hallways.

Loki

"It feels-" both Lokis started to speak. "Oops, sorry." Only the standing one continued, "It feels really weird, I'm both of me at the same time but if I focus I can separate all the sensations out and distinguish which is which. I can get up to four of me going at once, but more than two and it gets way too disorienting. I'm not really sure how it works, but it seems to only happen when I have to make a really fast decision on how to deal with something. Right now falling on my face is the easiest." Both Lokis moved back to sitting on the bed, the one standing stumbled a bit while the fallen one got up. "I don't think I can do anything else, but I didn't try much. I was way too busy figuring this out all morning."

Ice once again scribbled down her reply. "Genie would be very interested in this. Merlin, as well." Merlin seemed to like children, and this seemed to be an indicator of magical ability; perhaps it would aid the recovery process she was more than likely going through after the last mission. After the brief moment she took to ponder this, she asked the last question on the list. "Did you have any other questions or concerns?" Loki's talent was quite remarkable. She wondered, sometimes, what determined one's Spark - if this was her Spark, anyway, and not some other thing. Ice's spark wasn't something she had an issue with, per se - it had stopped Ansuz in his tracks, after all - but she did question why her unique ability revolved around injuring herself.

Loki

The Lokis grabbed each others' hands and leaned into each other, quite literally as the action recombined them into a single Loki. Loki breathed heavily for a moment before answering. "I think that's everything." she said, smiling.

Genie

Just then, Genie (who was definitely not waiting for this precise moment) reappeared from the curtained off area. "Perfect. Then if you would, Loki?" she gestured to the curtain. Loki hopped off the bed she was sitting on and headed inside. Genie warily watched the curtain for a moment. It was soundproof, but nothing stopped Loki from peeking out. Once she was certain the girl was gone, she shifted her attention back to Ice. "How did it go?" she asked, holding out her hand for the question sheets. Something clearly had her on edge, and it seemed likely that it involved Loki somehow.

"Loki reported some negative symptoms. I've detailed them as she told me." She turned the clipboard around and held it out toward Genie, watching the woman's reactions. The symptoms the girl expressed earlier were concerning - but Genie wouldn't have any way of knowing about those unless she had been eavesdropping, which sort of defeated the point of having Ice conduct the interview. Which meant she was worried about the manifestation of Loki's abilities. Why that was concerning, Ice didn't know.

Exile

So that was that huh? Just blast through, so much for surprise, so much for caution. Who knows what lay behind each wall, what trap or snare, how awfully dreary, a game of chance is fine but a blind and of all things, fair toss of the coin? That's boring, there's nothing to influence, no puzzle, no challenge, it's just there. Hmph! What a pain! 

Conjuring an illusory lance of energy, stands aside and manifests the spell, driving it into a nearby wall while standing to the side just in case something fun was on the other side. Like an ambush. Or a trap. Or... okay yeah it's really just those two.

Anemone

"AHHHHHH! So, let's take that with the fact this creature has manifested underneath your bed and you don't remember or have any idea with how it got here. You can create these creatures... but thus far nothing this powerful. However what if you weren't in control when you created it? What if..." Anemone paused for a moment, recollected. She itched her nose forgetting she was talking for a moment, then suddenly sparking up.

"What if you were sleeping when you summoned it? You'd not have been conscious at the time and perhaps... that removed the limited factors from your ability to use your spark when actively thinking about it. Did you have a nightmare last night?" She leaned in really close to Wendy. Almost too close. Her face was the spitting image of excitement at the moment. ln fact... this would be the most emotional Wendy would remember Anemone being around her. Typically she seemed rather uninterested... passive. However right now she was a bundle of energy... so much so Wendy would swear her ponytail was wagging like a dog's tail.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheryn

As Caliber made it closer to the doorway, Cheryn extended the barrier she already maintained there and merged it with the sphere protecting the girl, closing said sphere off and at the same time opening a small breach to let her into the pod room... much like an airlock. If anyone in tempest even knew what an airlock was, given well.... whatever, not important. 

With the rebel out of the flames, and Cheryn's own hunch telling her that Caliber was likely underestimating the strength of what she'd set into motion here, the shield meister once more condensed her focus to a razor fine point. The barrier she maintained burst outward with a flash of crimson, expanding further into the burning room like snaking tendrils of crimson, tendrils that sought out and took refuge in each and every last ventilation point present, and expanded to block them off, as she began uttering a modified version of her gas charm, tweaked ever so slightly to prevent even safe air from passing through the barriers, effectively creating what would eventually become a vacuum around the blaze....

Hopefully, nothing in the lab had served as too great an accelerant to the flames, while caliber had been going on her rampage. But then again, it shouldn't have mattered- this was mundane fire afterall, sustained not by favor, but by fuel, heat, and above all...oxygen. And with it's supply of oxygen now choked out at the sources... it was only a matter of time until it ran out of juice.

Genie

Genie accepted the clipboard, but something was still off. "Do you know if Merlin has any children? Or maybe siblings?" She asked, but immediately shook her head. "No, nevermind, it's still impossible..." She went to grab the next set of questions for Ice.

Ice shook her head slightly. "If Merlin has notable family, I am not aware of their existence." Not that she would likely share such. The woman was helpful, but she would not place her full trust in the woman. Not yet. It wasn't right, what the woman had been part of previously. Though Ice could see why she would wonder. . . the resemblance the girl had to Merlin was uncanny. Not to mention the unusual, and potentially quite powerful, magical ability. Her intuition told her that this was simply one of those bizarre coincidences - she'd seen one or two who looked enough like her to act as a body double as long as the person looking didn't know her personally, it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine looking even closer.

Tallow

Forge received a burst of pain and various images of pain before Tallow's voice came to her. "This is our body now, it follows our thoughts." He explained. To illustrate, Tallow thought about moving through the nearest wall and they moved through it. Strangely, Forge felt as if this were her own thought propelling them, and along with this feeling came another burst of pain and imagery. While in the wall their vision could see nothing, it was rather claustrophobic to have your vision cut off in the instant it began, but soon they exited back into one of the narrow hallways.

Forge

"Right, then..." Forge thought. This was certainly... a unique experience. As they floated into the narrow hallway, she sent back more thoughts - confusion, some pain, and then resolve colored her voice as she asked a question. "Do we know where we're going?" The body, propelled by thought, began to go down the hall unless Tallow actually had an idea of where to start. 

Merlin

Though pretty much every attack managed to at least damage the walls, the one that actually got them free was Dreaming Guardian as she used to her power to convert an entire section of mobile wall into a golem for her own control. Unfortunately, behind the wall was not an empty hallway, but instead a large square room, the floor made entirely of Wrath's lava. It didn't pose an immediate threat, but considering it had no obvious exits, neither did it seem like a particularly useful path to take. "Well, that can't be good." Merlin pointed out the obvious, "Great job on that wall though."

Wendy

Wendigo looked rather dumbfounded. "Yes, it happened in my sleep. I thought that was obvious." Wendy was becoming increasingly convinced that Anemone was not as smart as Wendy had thought, or at least a little slow. But it seemed Anemone was finally up to speed and could provide new insight. "I don't recall any nightmares, but we can't rule it out."

Tallow

Forge received a negative response, akin to a shake of the head. "Maybe near the middle?" Tallow suggested. He didn't seem worried about it. It didn't take long for Forge to see why. They suddenly darted to the end of the hall, paused for a moment, and then darted through the wall into the next hallway. Dashing like that could be disorienting, but as long as he didn't go too far in a single burst, Tallow was usually fine.

Genie

Genie still seemed off as she switched out the question sheets on the clipboard. "It's just... Loki's mother's genetic records were kept from me for some reason. But since I have the run of the place now, I decided to look into them." She said as she handed Ice the new set of questions, "And, well, they were impossible. According to our records, Loki is an exact genetic copy of her mother." She shook her head to clear it again. "Sorry, I shouldn't dump weird stuff on you when we don't have time to deal with it. Let's just deal with the next patient. Oh, and use this to call me if you have any issues." She handed Ice a palm-sized plastic button.

"Next up is I234, I believe she's been named Tensi, though I didn't catch who by." Genie explained, "Her record isn't too long: I234: No Alias. Age nine. Female. No outsider parents. Generates heat uncontrollably, requires constant regulation. Subject of internal power generation study: Failure. Subject of magic installation: Failure. No other experiments on record. Highly volatile temper. Correction: In progress. No useful genetic prospects. Record end. Personal addendum (C1111): Heat output seems to be increasing with age."

Tensi specific questions:

Spoiler

Note: If she seems to be overheating or starts steaming uncontrollably, get help immediately, something is likely wrong with her regulator gloves.

1. Ask how she feels about her name.

2. Ask if she's had any issues with her regulator gloves.

3. Make sure she's been doing her anger management exercises on a regular basis.

4. Ask if she's noticed any more yellow spots on her skin.

Caliber

Caliber watched in silence as Cheryn slowly smothered the fire. She could see that the shield mage was at her limit just as the fire was finally snuffed out. Caliber didn't exactly feel guilty over what she'd done, but she did feel sort of relieved that Cheryn had stopped her from killing herself. In hindsight it felt like a worthless way to go. "Thanks for that." she mumbled in Cheryn's general direction. "So, um, I guess we should head back and help supervise the little ones? ...Though I think the ones who really need supervision, aside from myself obviously, are Meltdown and Accelerator." Though she didn't like to show it, Caliber cared deeply about all of her fellow freaks, not just Tallow. Even if they tended to avoid her, she had watched them all from afar and knew much about them. Perhaps she was lonely at heart, she wasn't sure what exactly. Something had drawn her to watch over the others. It was from that very watching that she had come to despise this horrible, horrible room.

"I see." Ice took the button and set it lightly next to herself, where it was at little risk of falling into the tub she was stuck in. She didn't anticipate having many issues; the worst-case scenario was that the girl lost her temper. She had no magical ability, so Tensi would likely pose more threat to herself than to Ice, despite the latter's condition. Only nine years old. . . There it was again, that faint ember of anger. She didn't know what these people did with the ones they deemed failures, but the logical line of thought dictated that they were likely disposed of. Though some evidence pointed to the contrary, if they were still trying to correct the girl's behavioral issues. "I am ready for her whenever she is."

Anemone

"Well, you could've told me that and it'd have saved time ya know? lnstead of acting like you had no idea what it was and how it got here. l thought l was unraveling something important but you already knew the whole time..." Anemone pouted and nearly instantly deflated. Her features losing a lot of the excitement she previously had. She sat looking quite forlorn for a moment, until she realized she still had something to address. She took a breath before continuing.

"Anyway, l mention it as it could easily be the cause of how you could summon a much more powerful version of your normal capabilities. Our sub-consciousness is capable of breaking typical limiters that our active mind puts in our way. A nightmare is about the best trigger for an ability like yours due to it's protective nature. Either one with you protecting yourself from something or another from sort of attack perhaps. ln any case, one's magic can often be more powerful when they aren't in direct control of it at the time. The human body quite often can do quite unhuman feats when under the influence of instinct or the id." Anemone put her index finger to her chin while she began to ponder at it. She supposed this meant... Wendy was capable of this level of summoning, her spark had latent potential she had yet to reach.

"lt does prove that your spark is full of a lot of unrealized potential, power that you're not capable of replicating while awake. So, we've a goal to work towards but how do we move forward is the question? l suppose we could find answers through your dreams. Hmmm... but observing dreams isn't exactly easy. l'm not entirely sure if that's something magic is capable of. Perhaps through telepathy magic of some kind? lf l could observe them however, perhaps we'd find the root of how your Spark works. lf that's not really feasible, We can always default to the good ol' fashioned 'practice until you find results' method. l dunno it's up to you Wendy. lt's your mind l'd be digging in, and if it works correctly, l dunno if you'll be able to hide things you don't want me to see. Magic like that's quite intrusive so it's not something l'd do without your express permission."