[IC] The Castle (Clash of Fate)

Chevaleresse

"I dunno. Back in tempest, they seemed to just sorta... bump into us as an attack or something. Like I said, it was... kinda annoying. And bizarre. But-" she turned and looked at the blob, a look half between skepticism and a willingness to fry him in an instant on her face, "Well, you got anything else to your name besides bumping into people? Nows the time to show i-"

Before tesla could even finish the waddle doo leapt up into the air, summersaulting before a strange twinkle came to his eye, and the instant immediately after something resembling a cross between a whip, a lightning bolt, and a laser emerged from his eye, filling the air with the stench of burned ozone and the deafening crack of lightning and thunder. As he landed, the whip construct faded, and the little blob turned and gave a deep bow to his audience.

"Well damn. Never saw him do that during the fights...ya know what, I take everything back. There's definitely stuff I could use it for... yeh, I think this might just work out- if you agree to become my little assistant." She smirked, getting down to eye level with the thing "We got a deal, little dude?"

The waddle doo nodded without skipping a beat, giving tesla a salute that actually looked fairly well executed.

"Good" She nodded and stood back up. "That still leaves the issue of where we are and what's happened though. Anyone got any ideas?"

"I do not. But, as I have mentioned, I have caked the entrances with Magic absorbing and deflecting substances, to prevent any undue spellwork towards those doors, and we have, as you yourself know, completed our heavy duty weaponry. All we can do is wait and watch.  There appears to be a barrier around this place, preventing us leaving as well."  Mar dictates simply.

"Be prepared as though to fight for your life.  I have a sick and sinister feeling."

• 3 months later...

Tesla

Having borne witness to the battle beyond the gates and the subsequent departure of the party, Tesla could only stand there, eyes twitching. The bastards had left without even trying to lift the barrier. They had left them all trapped inside of here.... all of them, all of a gods know how many of them (in all seriousness though, she had no idea how many were even alive in here, given she'd only been able to find a handful). 

Motherfuckers.

God damn motherfuckers...

As their forms faded in the far distance, she ground her teeth, as it become quite clear that indeed, they weren't going to help fix this mess, and at last she gave up trying to hold back, summoning her mech and leveling every once of focus she had on the damn surge of purple energy and ethereal chains before her. And with the amount of raw power she began to charge up, filling the air around her with deafening static and the stench of burning ozone, it would've been clear to anyone who happened upon her to know what she was doing. 

They'd yet to try actually breaking it by force, and well... if the bloody barrier bounced her own assault right back at her, it wouldn't matter, her body had become immune to her own power long ago, and all it would do would feed right back into her mech's power supply...

Mar takes the moments leading up to her snapping to calmly walk behind one of the many steel walls nearby from the hastily erected enhancements, upgrades, and work areas sprawled around.

He'll need to clean that up sooner or later now that the Siege Weapons for the Castle are complete.

"Tell me when you are done, Tesla."  he says simply, knowing she is unlikely to stop trying simply because he asked.

It's honestly surprising to him that someone with her technological savvy would succumb to the urge to simply blast something when she could be assembling something stronger to truly blast it open.

"Stand back, Mar." A soulless, dead voice commanded in crystal clear audio quality from the mech. It barely even sounded like the woman at all 

It was the only warning she gave, as the charge finished. She gave a few moments for the Orc to follow her advice and get somewhere he'd be safe from any backlash. Everything she was, everything she might've been, every person she had killed and the reason she had killed them, it all culminated in that one moment as memories flashed before her eyes like water spewing from a broken flood gate.

But strongest among them was the memory of being a imprisoned. The memory of living her life as a caged animal, to be poked and prodded and cut up as her captors so desired, to be used, abused, and finally cast aside when they had no more need of her. The memory of being rendered less than human, time and time again, nothing but a letter and number, restrained on the examination table, those god forsaken fucks hovering over her with no end of tools. And then the day when they, all of them, were tossed out of the facility like trash, those who were not already dead from the experiments and already lay motionless in the dust, now left to the wasteland, left to meet a far crueler demise than anything the scientists could've conjured.

And in that one moment, for the first time in her life, she finally understood the type of emotion that gripped David and Solomon when they became one with their demons, the type of emotion that could turn men into beasts.and then with an utterly furious, nigh primal shreik of malice, the world around her vanished in a violet blaze of glory as every ounce of power she could spare was unleashed at once in a directional burst centered immediately in front of her, at the barrier.

In that moment....

She understood what it meant, to bare the name "Ryke"

The mere sound of the assault alone would've been enough to shake the castle's very foundations and carry through it's ancient halls to every room and every space- the sounds of a mad woman's unbridled, unfiltered rage and the subsequent explosive peel of thunder it preambled.

Blown back from around the corner by the sheer wind of the assault, Mar is thrown to the ground painfully on his back.  He grits his teeth however, and begins trying to lift himself to his feet.  Old age hasn't treated him as well as he wishes, and his memory of more vigor and youth unfortunately chooses to come back in times like this.

He eventually gives up, waiting on the ground to recover his energy so he can stand once more as the roaring shots of Tesla's assault assault the ears of anyone in earshot.

Minutes passed. Minutes that seemed to drag on into hours, in Tesla's eyes, and hours extended into days, and days extended into weeks, weeks into months. Months became years. Years of darkness, years of being a plaything for the sake of science. Years that stretched on into eternity. She didn't even know how long she'd been focusing her fire, by the time the warnings began to flash across her cerebral connections. She'd gotten to the point where her rate of her fire was vastly exceeding the rate at which the storm core could even generate juice to replenish the supply, and as a direct result, the mech itself was slowly losing more and more power with every shot. 

And even worse, inbetween the hail of thunder and fury, countless electrons halted by favor and projected out as insanely deadly bolts that carried just as much raw impact force as they did heat and light... she could already tell...

"Nothing."

nothing at all. The stones of the entryway itself were utterly devastated, pockmarked with thousands of deep holes burrowed by the electron beams, warped and melted in countless places, some spots still red hot and dripping. But the barrier was totally unscathed. She had might as well have fucking sneezed on it, for all the response it showed. 

The violet light died down, as she gave the impulse, and the suit halted it's ungodly assault on both everyone's ears, and their eyes. The castle stopped it's shaking, her hellish scream faded, until finally, the Mirrored Virtue became visible again. It simply hovered there, silent, blazing with pure white light as it's own heat compensatory worked overtime to cope with the steadily mounting intensity of her now-ceased attacks. There was a flash of violet once more, and the mech was gone- in it's place, Tesla. 

Standing there, glaring at the barrier, at the utter destruction it had somehow survived. Parts of her still wanted to attack, to break this thing that had dared made her a slave and a guinea pig again, but slowly and surely, the more rational parts of her mind took control once again. She was capable of exerting hundreds of orders of magnitude more destructive power in her mech than she ever could outside of it- going at this thing again would be foolish, futile. And it was that part of her mind which forced her to turn, and walk away... accepting the situation for what it was at this moment.

Futile.

"By all the gods... enough destructive force to easily disable an opposing mech, wipe its pilot and everything standing within a good hundred meter radius around them off the fucking face of tempest without leaving so much as the shit stain they made in their final moments, and this thing takes it like it's nothing..." She muttered as she began searching for wherever mar had hidden, calling out to the orc "I'm done, Mar! The damn thing is tougher than one of the fucking gods of tempest..."

"Damn..." she muttered, rushing over to where he was and... sure enough, finding the old Orc flat on his back. Perhaps her attack had even more force behind it than she thought, not that it mattered to getting out of here. She walked closer, looking over the Orc, before offering her hand to him "Here take my hand, see if you can get to your feet. And uh... sorry. I just... look, me and cages- or stuff thats the equivalent of a cage -we don't mix well, at all. I've kinda been feeling antsy about it all the way till now, but seeing those assholes just walk away without even trying to contact or help us when they have to know by now that there are still folks trapped in here.... it sent me over the god damn edge. Reminded me of a type of people I used to hunt down..."

"You were angry.  There is no further explanation needed.  I and those like me treat anger differently than humans.  Whether it's as trivial as stubbing your toe, or as soul-wrenching as grief, anger should be respected by one's peers."

"You should respect your anger as well, if it brought you to acting like that."  Mar says, stumbling back to his feet.  His back aches, but crossing an arm behind his back helps support it as he pulls out his glaive to use as a walking stick, his hand gripping the large stone sphere sheathing it's deadly and invisible blade.

She thought about it for a moment, as the old man got up. Respect her own anger? She never really thought of it like that before; now, she hadn't nessacarily been ashmed of the emotions she felt towards the type of people who bred their own kids to be used and discarded as subjects in experiments as need, not at all, she knew full well that hatred that had blossomed over the years and been fostered by TOM after they met was well justified. 

But she also hadn't nessacarily been proud of it, either. Considering all she had done in her life, anger had not exactly been helpful in preventing her going down this blood-stained avenue, and it certainly hadn't helped ignore the fact that justified or no, there was blood on her hands, there was blood on her heart, and it would always stay there. She had thought that she merely had to accept it, if it meant that younger ones would grow up to have a better childhood and life overall than she had known, that it did not matter that she became tainted and warped with the drive to kill and destroy, to take vengeance not only for herself, but those without the power to, children who'd been murdered in the past and would doubtlessly be so in the future... by their own damn parents.

But... maybe... maybe this blood didn't taint her, in truth. Maybe rather than the mark of murder, the blood she'd split in the past was a sign of karmic retribution, of justice of the purest and simplest variety being meted out. Perhaps she should not damn herself, for what she did, how she did it, what she felt while doing it. 

For everyone she had ever slain had their own fair share of sins that had gone on with impunity. Every last person she'd slain had sewn unknowable suffering over the course of their careers, and had not been apologetic about it in the least, when the day of reckoning came. Maybe she wasn't a devil after all. 

Maybe she was simply an angel of death, come to dole out the judgement the authorities were too weak or complacent to. And in the end, that simple fact may not put her totally in the right, but it most certainly did not sink anywhere near as deep into the wrong as the Rogue Science Guilds of Tempest.

"....maybe you're right" she said, glancing down at her hands, for a long, long time "maybe I should start respecting it. Maybe I should start respecting myself too. Maybe what I do and how I do it isn't really so bad, in the grand scheme of things..." She lowered her hands to her side, before taking a look around the place, and for the first time, seeing the FULL extent of the destruction. It hadn't simply been the front entrance she'd practically obliterated, for much of the entrance hall, from the point she'd been standing beyond, now bore the obvious signs of melting and the countless pock marks of the withering assault. Perhaps her fire had not been as a focused as she'd thought.... 

"Well... at least now we know... that trying to blow it to kingdom come won't work. That was just about everything I got, probably would've outright destroyed most of the hall if I'd gone any longer. Yet, not so much as a scratch on the damn barrier. You got any ideas what to try next?"

"You are right to respect yourself.  You are, after all, the one at the helm of your actions, the seat of your Will."

Mar pauses, before shrugging.

"I suspected we would not be able to escape it so easily, in truth.  The ones outside need us and this place to give them a ride off world.  They'll be back."

"As for what we do next, it's simple.  We shall treat this as an opportunity to exploit.  Sitting before us is a perfect surface which resists harm, I presume there is one below us as well."

"A barrier this large and powerful, sitting right within our grasp, where we can do as we please with it.  There's an old poem that speaks of this."

"Our enemies leave us arrows,

(poor as they are),

they give gifts,

worn blades,

bones."

Demonstrating, Mar synthesizes a pile of silicon dust, and throws it at the barrier in a blob of mana.

"The reflected mana should carry a pattern from the barrier, which will be preserved in silicon."  he says as the non-elemental mana bolt bounces off the barrier, and into the cloud of silicon dust.

The result is a pile of gold letters on the ground.

They spell out "MONGREL"

Mar looks significantly less amused than he did when he was doing this experiment.

"I will enjoy utilizing this barrier for purposes it's creator never intended."

Edited by Hal Henderics

"Huh, well that's...." Tesla stared at the words for a few moments, trying to come up with a suitable.... way to lighten the obvious insult that had been thrust right back into the old man's face... in the most literal sense possible "Interesting... yeh, interesting. Plus, hey look man, it's free gold, that'll come in handy for something down the line." With that said, she looked back up at the barrier

"You got anymore weird stuff to throw at it... what did you call it just now- 'mana'? Who knows, maybe we might get a few more useful things out of it..."

"Hm.  That's almost certainly a sign that the barrier is still being monitored," Alexandria moves up behind Mar and Tesla, astonishingly quiet for someone so large.  "If only there was some way to gain access to its root controls, I might be able to wrest control of it away from its creator.  Or at the least, give him one huge slagging headache."

"Tesla, I know something far more interesting than mere mana testing."

"Instead of a Barrier, it will now be an Anvil."

"With the assistance of both of you, I would like to sacrifice one of our rooms to attempt to breach this barrier using a Thaumic Collapse, which involves compressing Matter, Information, and Energy into a single point until it breaches 3D space and spills out over the surrounding area, creating a dungeon of wildly altered objects and twisted space."

"That warping in reality, I theorize, we could pass through to escape the barrier through another dimension."

"It will require two things, A room full of distinct and unique objects, and a massive concentration of energy, magic. information and matter that collapses space."

"The barrier itself will serve to protect us from the naked singularity, as the space warping of it would cause all escaping energy and matter to simply be driven deeper into the singularity, or into the indestructible barrier that has been twisted around it."

Mar finishes, breathing after his explanation.

"I can jump start the reaction using Galvinium Silicate, but Tesla's Incredible energy output will be needed to sustain and grow it to a stable size, and you, Alexandria, may be useful in helping us predict the results and manage the energy."

Edited by Hal Henderics

"You want to make a magical black hole?  Energy can substitute for matter to a degree in such a substance, but I don't think we have enough of either," Alexandria posits, "It takes a lot of energy and mass to pass the Schwartzschild Radius of anything, and my power plant couldn't come close.  The castle's power plant couldn't even come close.  We'd need something of extraordinary energy density.  Maybe if you somehow transmuted a large piece of matter to electrons?  I'm not a theoretical physicist...

"Also, black holes are incredibly dangerous to most things nearby, but I'd probably be fine, and I kind of want to see what happens."

Edited by DragonRage

"Tesla very nearly shook the castle's foundations apart with her own energy generation."

"I also can run Lensite Cables from the Reactor to feed more if needed."

"The barrier itself seems to reflect a certain amount of energy impacting it as well.  Once space begins to warp, it will prevent energy escaping as quickly."

"Finally, I have a machine which can convert Matter into Magic arbitrarily.  We can use this to produce more energy from any material we have enough of."

Edited by Hal Henderics

"I suppose our failures teach us as much as our successes.  We have an excellent backstop.  And I always wanted to throw a black hole at something," Alexandria decides, "Very well!  Let us inflict SCIENCE upon this prison of ours."  Her left arm reconfigures into its gatling pulse cannon configuration, several ports extending to the side.  "Assuming we have sufficient power flow, my cannons should be able to direct the energy needed in a controllable fashion.  I can cut them off the instant before things become too dangerous to continue.  I doubt the arrogant mage or engineer who created this wall has ever encountered dark energy in measurable quantities before, so it might be a blind spot in his safeguards."  The cannon barrels start to rotate, slowly at first, but quickly becoming too fast to follow with the naked eye.  "Hook me up!  Let us begin the experiments!"