Jaggi's Ground Monotype Run [Amaria down - see you again in Ep18!]

Gentleman Jaggi

We follow Titania to Celestinine Cascade to check up on Amaria, but upon arrival it turns out that the two had a fight so now we have to go play hide and seek with Amaria in her "underwater playground". Did I ever mention that I hate water? Because I do. This is hell.

Finding Amaria a bunch of times leads to her telling us about how she wouldn't mind to die right now and that therefore there'd be no point in us challenging her right now. Also, she knows that Titania is just faking her part of their relationship, and that Amaria is going along with it because Titania is apparently the only one who stayed with her. I don't like Amaria anymore.

After finding her for the third time she finally agrees to a Gym battle, so we head back to the battle area for another scene with her and Titania. Then it's time for our battle.

VS Flotsam Amaria

capture000gnre1.png

Spoiler

capture001xvrjo.png

I chose Singles since I've only really got one Pokémon that can properly deal with Water Types.

Thanks to his Air Balloon Mamoswine doesn't get slowed down by the Field, allowing him to freeze it over with Blizzard. It misses, but the Field gets frozen anyway before he goes down to Rotom's Hydro Pump.

capture002wlq91.png

With the Water Surface gone Rotom can't oneshot Claydol so instead it sets up Light Screen. Claydol, naturally, uses Trick Room.

capture0031qqfy.png

I switch Torterra into Rotom's Hydro Pump, but it luckily misses.

Next turn Rotom goes down to Wood Hammer.

capture0049ho7i.png

Nidoking's Iron Ball slows him down enough to act first. A crit Megahorn puts Ludicolo into critical HP before Nidoking goes down to a field-boosted Ice Beam.

capture005lkryp.png

Amaria heals, but Ludicolo goes down to two of Swampert's Ice Punches.

capture006jeo4i.png

Amaria's own Swampert gets obliterated by Wood Hammer.

capture007e2o0b.png

It's the last turn of Trick Room (and Light Screen, but that doesn't matter) now.

Krookodile's Iron Ball lets him act first, but Outrage only puts Kingdra into critical HP and he goes down to Ice Beam.

capture0082wqev.png

Claydol sets another Trick Room while Amaria heals. Two Earth Powers put Kingdra down to a third of HP before Claydol gets itself taken out by two Icea beams.

capture009xgpcm.png

Ice Punch finishes off Kingdra.

capture010klrgj.png

Wishiwashi goes down to Wood Hammer; the recoil from that leaves Torterra at a whopping 8HP.

capture011l1rbp.png

Amaria is finally down to her Ace Lapras. Unfortunately it knows Ice Shard and uses that to finish off Torterra.

No, I don't know what that "more options" is doing there.

capture012svrlp.png

We're down to Ace vs Ace. Two turns of Trick Room left.

A Fighting Gem-powered Hammer Arm leaves Lapras with half HP before it uses Dive. Surf deals a little bit of damage during the diving phase, then Swampert takes a third of HP damage.

Trick Room ends.

Swampert tanks an Ice Shard, then finishes off Lapras with another Hammer Arm, finally ending this battle.

capture013n0piq.png

If I have to fight one more Rotom I will murder someone.

This battle took me way too many tries. I had to find just the right sequence for freezing the field over and setting Trick Room while somehow getting Rotom to not set up Reflect. I also tried various combinations with Grassy Field, as well as trying to get rid of Reflect with Brick Break, all the while trying to avoid having Torterra get murdered with Ice attacks.

On the bright side: it ended with an Ace vs Ace match, and I always like ending fights that way. Also glad I didn't have to resort to using healing items to win that battle, although I would have used them if I had to. I wouldn't have wanted to try again.

This victory earns us the Torrent badge which does nothing to our Level Cap, but does allow us to use Rock Climb outside of battles... once Ep18 releases, that is. We also get the TM for Scald, not sure if I got any use for that though.

Well, that's it for current content. Let's have a round of applause for the Pokémon that gave their best this episode:

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_260_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_034_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_553_Schillernd_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_473_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_344_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_530_XY.gifPok%C3%A9monsprite_389_XY.gif

• Upvote 1

Good job @Gentleman Jaggi! You defeated the final one of the banes of your Earthy existence!

Trick Room works very well with Ground types indeed.

Now, just a tiny bit of info...

It was better that you froze the Field, because, if you had gone for the Grassy Terrain strategy, you'd have to worry about setting Grassy Terrain up again as well (it would last 5 or 8 turns, if Torterra was holding an Amplified Rock). In general, any field you create by using Grassy/Misty/Psychic/Electric Terrain, with or without combination with any other moves (e.g Grassy + Heat Wave for Burning field), will last only for the amount of turns the Terrain move would last. Then, it will revert to the original field. In this case, the Water Surface field. This way, you only had to worry about setting up Trick Room again (and maybe Light Screen as well).

Thanks! I'm really glad to have all of my weaknesses behind me now. Until I inevitably have to battle Laura for whichever reason.

13 minutes ago, Jess said:

It was better that you froze the Field, because, if you had gone for the Grassy Terrain strategy, you'd have to worry about setting Grassy Terrain up again as well (it would last 5 or 8 turns, if Torterra was holding an Amplified Rock).

Yeah, I fiddled around with it a bit, since Amaria's team can abuse both the ater Surface and Icy Fields, but only Ludicolo can know a Grass attack.

Didn't work out tho; it was a lot more important to set up Trick Room and to keep Rotom from setting up a Reflect. Torterra had to oneshot everything that he attacked, otherwise he'd quickly go down.

Setting up an Electric Terrain probably would've worked very well in this battle, but the only Pokémon that might have worked for that would be Stunfisk... xD

The AI also can't really handle moves that gain secondary Types from fields, so that would've been somewhat cheap.

Edited by Gentleman Jaggi

I was in this situation when I faced Titania in my Poison mono. Grassy Terrain'ed and Flame Burst'ed it up, but then, I had a timer on my head to defeat her as quickly as possible. I could never get her Aegislash down during this time (cause stupid Magical Seed in her field stalled it out), so I had to make adjustments and have more aces up my sleeve to defeat her...

By the way, I doubt that any Ground types can learn Electric Terrain anyways, so, cheap or not, it was out of the question by default for you :D 

• Veterans

@Gentleman Jaggi

Aww. No Gastrodon solo. Pretty cool strategy none the less. Surprised you didn't try using Sludge Wave with Swampert to set the stage for Excadrill to go ham though, what with him now being immune to all water moves and being able to set up on Rotom for free. I guess you thought you'd at least give her a fighting chance, or forgot Swampert got that. Surprised you didn't hunt for a choice band so Torterra's wood hammer could barrel through more easily. I'd personally wager to say if you use more of Ground's Pokemon, Amaria could've been among the easiest leaders in the game for you.

Honestly, Stunfisk would've been godlike in Trick Room with Water Surface Field on. I'm not sure about whether it could OHKO Ludicolo, Rotom and Kingdra though... Maybe after Stealth Rocks? Who knows...

2 minutes ago, Azeria said:

Surprised you didn't try using Sludge Wave with Swampert to set the stage for Excadrill to go ham though, what with him now being immune to all water moves and being able to set up on Rotom for free.

That's... something I could have done. Right. Damnit.

*ahem*, yeah, uh, giving her a fighting chance, that's exactly what I was doing. |D

I thought about using the Murkwater Field, but it'd still have disabled Earhquake and Water resists Steel, so Excadrill got mentally sorted as "not useful in this battle". Totally forgot that he would be immune to her Water attacks on that Field. That would've made things a lot easier. Not sure if I had wanted to do that though, since it would've been abusing the AI's inability to consider secondary Types added by the Field. Could've been useful as a last resort.

I didn't feel like training any more Pokémon than I already have and I've already got one Water/Ground in Swampert, so no Gastrodon.

Choice Band is only (legally) available from the Aqua/Magme Jobs sidequest, right? Don't know which version of the quest that would be though. With Wood Hammer's recoil I didn't really want to brute force down every single one of her 'Mons with that and rather keep it alive for Lapras on the off chance it doesn't know Ice Shard. The beginning was the most troublesome part of this battle anyway, everything past taking out Ludicolo went pretty smoothly.

@Jess Them Seeds be broken, yo! Don't know how many of them you can have on a fresh Ep17 run, but coming from Ep16 you'd only have a handful that you picked up somewhere in the desert. Kind of an imbalance there, but that's natural when something gets retroactively included.

Stunfisk is kind of, well, Stunfisk. Yeah, the Field boosts Electric moves, but its base Atk is a measly 66; its SpAtk is a bit better, but most of Amaria's Pokémon are Special bulky anyway. Between Rotom, Kingdra, Swampert and Ludicolo her Singles team also really isn't particularly weak to Electric, so Torterra was just more worthwile.

Plus, stunfisk is weak to Water and has shitty Speed, so Trick Room would've been neccessary again anyway.

@Gentleman Jaggi Damn, forgot about her Swampert. Yes. Not really weak to Electricity indeed. By the way, I wonder why you didn't go for Poison Jab/Sludge Wave with Nidoking against her Ludicolo and opted for Megahorn. A Sheer Force-boosted STAB Poison Jab would've probably OHKO Ludicolo...