Harvard students playing Pokemon

Valkyria

In case you missed it, earlier this year The Crimson (Harvard's campus newspaper) published an article on competitive Pokemon battling. Titled "Welcome to Smogon University", it describes how one self-confessed beginner pulled an all-nighter building what she believed to be the perfect team after being introduced to PO by her roomate.

My reaction? Ah, so this is what our brightest minds are doing! In all seriousness, I was rather pleased that Pokemon had evolved (ha-ha) from being a game solely for children to one that targets older audiences as well.

What are you thoughts?

You can read the full article here: http://www.thecrimson.com/column/getting-geek-speak/article/2012/2/14/welcome_to_smogon_university/

Ha! That was a great read :) really interesting to see what someone who's living in the lap of luxury (Harvard is one of the best 3 schools in the nation- definitely ivy league!) thinks of our collective hobby. I wonder what she'd think of the different tiers here on PO?

My reaction? Ah, so this is what our brightest minds are doing! In all seriousness, I was rather pleased that Pokemon had evolved (ha-ha) from being a game solely for children to one that targets older audiences as well.

well to be fair, "children" don't play pokemon,

this game came to the states in the late 90's ('97 i think correct me if I'm wrong) and it hit the kids pretty hardcore. so take the average age group of kids around the late '90s and add 12 or 15 years... ta-Dah you got the actual age group that plays pokemon XD

the game isn't targeting new audiences... but its original audience XD

I am definitely not surprised as this is what goes on at Brown as well (its actually really fun battling against some people here) and as such, I might disagree about what those top 3 schools are hark :P

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an opinion....

well to be fair, "children" don't play pokemon,

this game came to the states in the late 90's ('97 i think correct me if I'm wrong) and it hit the kids pretty hardcore. so take the average age group of kids around the late '90s and add 12 or 15 years... ta-Dah you got the actual age group that plays pokemon XD

the game isn't targeting new audiences... but its original audience XD

Wolf summed it all up right here.

My debate partner back in high school is currently enrolled at Harvard, and while I thought her clever, it wasn't at the level of genius.

In many ways, your transcript better reflects your level of commitment rather than a gift of higher intellect.