[E16] Gym Leader music

enu

Gym music  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gym music you consider more fitting for the Gym leaders?

• Old Gym music from E15
    • New Gym music from E16
  2. 2. What do you think about my suggestion to use new Gym music for Victoria instead?

• Yes
    • No

• Developers

So am I the only one who thinks the old Gym and Reverse-Gym tracks were better than the new ones?

It's not like I dislike the new ones, I wouldn't mind if they were used somewhere. They're just not fitting as Gym music if you ask me.

I don't exacly want this reverted if other people like the new ones. It's easy enough to swap them. But if there are other people with the same opinion then I do have a suggestion. I'm not too fond of the Rival music and it doesn't feel right for both Fern and Victoria using the same music. So my suggestion would be like this:

- old Gym music - use for gyms (except Terra & Shade)

- old Reverse Gym music - use for Shade

- new Gym music - use for Victoria

- new Reverse Gym music - use for Victoria's E16 battle

- Rival music - leave that to the Loser

3 hours ago, Slicster said:

The old Gym music nostalgic as it is, it just seems too intense for most of the Gym Leaders.  Shade's version should use the original theme though.

I personally like the intensity of the old Gym Leader music, it serves to show that they are extremely hard battles that shouldn't be taken lightly. This might be nostalgia glasses but I prefer the old version, the new one isn't as catchy. The new gym leader music would actually fit better as Fern's rival theme rather than Victoria (she should keep the current one) imo.

EDIT:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the old gym music is much more 'epic' than the new one. Gym battles just feels less important/intense with the new music.

Edited by Farnsworth
grammar

• Global Mods

Wait, Victoria's rival theme changed? I don't think I noticed that. 

Musically, I prefer the new gym leader theme since it has more noise and energy, but as a Gym Leader theme I think the old one fits more.

The fact that some legendary theme tracks have been used for different purposes (XYZ trio for Gym Leaders and Legendary Beasts for Meteor underlings) makes me wonder what tracks legendaries will use. 

• Developers
3 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Wait, Victoria's rival theme changed? I don't think I noticed that.

No it did not. Or at least I don't remember it. I'm suggesting it to be changed to what is currently the new Gym music. Farnsworth above said that he would use the new gym music for Fern instead and Victoria should use the old Rival music. Well maybe - I didn't give that much thought honestly.

The old music is indeed way more epic which is why I prefer it for Gym leaders. Especially in Hardcore but even in regular Reborn since my restrictions make even those fights quite intense sometimes.

At first I didn't believe too much in the new Gym Leader music either, but it grew on me. I can see why it's being used as a replacement for the Red/Lance remix. The new one fits a variety of leaders, notably light-hearted ones, in a more satisfying fashion. Besides, the old one is still there as the Meteor Admin theme, so it's not like it's lost. The former Admin theme however...

I do agree about the old Reverse Gym being much better for Shade though. It almost sounds like it was designed to be played reversed and still sound awesome. The new one just doesn't work well for me.

However I would not agree with giving Victoria the new Gym Leader theme. The player faces her only a few times, mostly for short and easy battles, so it would be a waste of good music imo.

Besides, that would imply finding a new theme for Cain and/or Fern too. Why wouldn't they get their own music if Victoria does?

Yeah, I prefer the old gym leader music. I like the new tracks, but they have too much of a mystical, legendary feel to them (fitting, since they're for the legendaries) for me to accept them as tracks for the gym leaders. The old music was very intense and better suited how hard the fights are.

It's kinda the same deal with the rest of the replaced battle music, even the wild music, but especially with the Meteors. I can buy the Johto legendary remix for, maybe, the New World Cultist trainers or anyone more directly connected to Arceusism or whatever it is El follows, but not for Meteor grunts. Personally, I was hoping that track would be saved for Lin or someone else high up on the totem pole. And the Meteor admin music had a sinister feel to it that its replacement (the old gym leader music, ironically) doesn't have. I mean, the very first time I heard it during the first PULSE Tangrowth battle, I could instantly tell that shit was going down the hole. It's not the same with the new track.

That's not to say that I think the new tracks would be fitting for Victoria and/or Fern either. I never really liked the current rival music, but I'd still prefer to save the legendary tracks for something actually legendary.

The change in the Gym Leader's battle theme didn't really bother me; I would say the new theme is equally fitting, unlike the new themes for the Meteor Grunts and Admins. I don't know, for me they just lack the intensity and that "evil" feeling the older themes had.

I'll admit that I haven't been paying attention but the whole ZEL and Magnezone thing felt super weird and I had no idea that the older themes changed. I was okay with it if this was the only change for this episode. Here's what I feel about the battle themes:

New Meteor Theme: It's too slow and I actually used that song for the cult guys (aka Helix room) as it felt very mythical as it worked well for fighting on holy/sacred ground. Doesn't sound right when facing guys who kill and murder people to get what they want. Something fast paced, harsh, gritty, and rogue like would best fit this theme. That's why I say the old theme suits this better. Seriously just revive the old one as I can't think of a better one that suits them.

Gym Leader theme: NGL, I think both are on equal footing in terms of how good they are. IMO though, the old theme should be used for all leader up until Ciel/Adrienn aka the top of the pack leaders. That's just me as I feel that the top leaders should get their own shared theme to make them a bit more special in that regard (and give you the impression that the game has been holding back until now). The only reason I loved the old leader theme more is just due to that sound of the intro going into the battle. I'll never get tired of hearing that.

Rival Theme: I've never actually minded this one tbh. Only theme I could think of replacing it with is the super training one. Never understand the one where super training is used in the wild as it felt more like a battle theme tbh, but that one doesn't bother me so much as others.

New Meteor Admin Theme: N's theme did it's job here, but I get that it's broken. What I don't get is why a champion theme would replace it. What I liked about the old theme was that it sounded a bit ominous. The old gym leader theme does not suit it at all. The gym theme is made for suspense and gives you the feeling that what your facing will be difficult and may take many times to overcome. Never does it sound like your in actual danger, but you aren't in for a good time.

I suppose for a substitute this theme would work better for the Meteor Admin theme: