Any Tips For a Beginner Like Me?

Chillds

Remember: Brute Force will not work in most battles. Unless you have a team that is extremely heavily stacked against someone, you will need to employ certain tactics. Don't be afraid to lose and learn their teams and their gimmicks.

Having a large variety of Mons for all situations was mentioned and this is good advice, if not 100% necessary (I for one just get a singular team of six, swap a Mon in/out from time to time and that's it, and was able to get through...mostly fine.)

Ame has been an absolute God at making your life as difficult as possible. Reborn is like Pokemon - Dark Souls level.

As many others have already said, PAY ATTENTION TO TERRAIN. They are extremely important.

If you don't have much starter preference, pick either Torchic or Charmander. Charmander's Dragon Rage will rip first two to three gyms to shreds and Torchic's Speed Boost will tear down everyone late-game.

Many of the leaders are especially hard and will use the field effects to maximum advantage; but you can also use the effects against them! I've got some tips on how to fight each gym:

1. Julia (Electric)

She's fast and hits hard, and two members (voltorbs) has aftermath and last one (electrode) will carry SonicBoom. However, one major advantage is that many of her pokemon are under the level cap.

So catch the Bunnelby next to the Reborn center and level it to 20, as well as having more back-up just in case it falls. Make sure that they have about 40hp to survive the Sonic Booms, and you'll come out on top.

2. Florinia (Grass)

Although much of her pokemon are slow as heck, they are tanky and along with the terrain, will try to wear you down with poison, sand and absorb. Here, you'll need several hard hitting fire/flying types, as well as a fighting type (if you can help it) to combat her last Cradlilly. Here, don't worry about any stat except for attacking. You'll need to burn her up as soon as possible, before she has a chance to really set up on you. She's tough to beat at first, but if stars align for you, you will make it through~

2.5 Corey (Poison)

A gym leader fallen from grace, he has two modes in which to fight; Toxic Field and Toxic Mist. Either case, he is quite tough, though if you have any ground types in spare, you can use it and chomp through much of his team, since except for his lead Skrelp and ace Crobat, they don't have much to counter ground types. If you pissed him off enough, he'll activate Toxic Mist, but this can be broken into Toxic Field by using any fire type specials; the growlithe you pick up from the Policeman Quest will be very handy to sacrifice for this battle.

3. Shelly (Bug)

First doubles! Though if you have a flying type, you'll have no trouble in this one. Shelly's strategy mostly depends on using Rain Dance with Illumise and cover her fire weakness; but she still misses out on her flying weakness. Also, Illumise is the only one who carries Rain Dance, so if you don't have a flying type, you can simply wait it out since she don't do much damage. Just make sure to watch out for her Anorith with Rock Tomb, and this gym will be cheese.

4. Shade (Ghost)

Dark type. You'll really need some dark type to take him out. Combined with his field effect, his ghost type moves hit very hard, though his pokemon are often fragile. Alternatively, you can opt to down his first 2 'mons (Gengar and Trevanent) and bait his Rotom to use Discharge, a move that would break his own terrain. After that, you can power through the rest of his team with tanky pokemon. If you're really having trouble, get the Pangoro, level it to 42 using XP share or Rare Candies, learn Crunch, and de-level it back down.

5. Aya (Poison)

Opposite to Corey, DON'T use Ground types. She covers her Ground type weakness through both moveset and terrain, so opt for the Psyhic weakness instead. The wasteland will also consume entry hazards and damage you, which she loves doing with her lead duo, Tentacruel and Nidoking. Out of the two, Nidoking tends to be the more hazardous one (carrying Crunch and several entry hazard moves) so take it out as fast as possible. Other than that, with the exception of Drapion and Gengar, her team seems to be extremely prone to the Psyhic types, so ride the Hard-Carry train to victory!

6. Serra (Ice)

Contrary to her choice of typing, Serra is perhaps the most difficult boss fight, purely because much of your victory rates will be on a dice-roll. Her strategy hinges on the Mirror Terrain, lowering your accuracy whilst boosting her evasion and crit rates. If you manage to break the terrain, the rest of her team is as easy as swiss cheese, but most of the times, you'd find that breaking the terrain is extremely hard. So here's the neat thing - special attacks tend to miss, but reflect on a mirror and hit anyway. So if you have access to Flamethrower, you can literally spam it away and her team will be in cinders. Other than that, may Helix have mercy upon your soul.

7. Noel (Normal)

Arguably the easiest of the gym leaders, you'll find that if you have any fighting types on your team, you won't even need any strategy to defeat him. Just power through everyone with a fighting type, but watch out for his last 3 members; Guts-Boosted-Facade Swellow, King's-Rock-FlinchHax Cincinno and finally Technically-Not-Normal-Type Clefable. Solution? Steel types. Swellow can't touch it with any of its moves, Cincinno has HP Fire but considering its special attack stat, you'll shrug it off, and finally Clefable, being weak to Steel types and only having HP Ground to cover its weakness.

8. Radomous (Psyhic)

Grandmaster Ramadous (do you even King's Gambit, m8?) will attempt to cover his low speed team with Trick Room Reuniculus and Slowking, though I found that half the time he'll forget to use Trick Room anyway :/ His team is quite tanky and tend to cover his Dark and Bug weaknesses well, though misses out often on Ghost coverage (save Gallade and Not-Contrary-For-Some-Reason Malamar). If you can take out his Trick-Roomers before he can set up, you'll only have to face Gossip Gardevoir as a major challenge.

9. Luna (Dark)

Luna's team is slow and her field doesn't do too much harm, but she will sweep you easily when falling prey to her arsenal of status inflicting attacks. She seems to have decent coverage across all her teams, countering Fairy with lead Bisharp, Fighting with Prankster Sable-eye and Bug with Honchkrow. But after her first three members, the rest of her team is slow and fragile. Just make sure to counter each of her first three leads with their respective weaknesses, and you'll have no trouble sweeping the rest of her team.

10. Samson (Fighting)

Yet another luck-dependent gym leader, Samson's potency is greatly increased due to his powerful field effect; boosting his attacks to up to x2.5, which is extremely overpowered. But he does seem to lack a team synergy; all of his team are set-up sweepers, and each carry only one coverage move. So you can have a fast flying type and fairy type (I reccomend Staraptor and Gardevoir) and play rock-paper-scissors with him, sending out a pokemon that his pokemon can't cover. Alternatively, you can sweep his team by just spamming Strength and hope to Helix that they get high damage rolls.

11. Charlotte (Fire)

Charlotte, I'd argue, is the toughest gym battle you'll face that's not luck depedendent (suck it, Serra!). Her wide range of strong coverage moves as well as much of her team base possessing above-average speed, you'll have a hell of a time defeating her. Her pokemon tend to be fragile, and be prone to 2HKOs. Her rock-type coverage seems to be the weakest, but that's not to say she's forgotten it. Top-tier threat is her Typlosion, hitting hard and fast with Solar Beam and Eruption. However, if you can set up with a good, fast water type, and take out the Typlosion before she can Solar Beam your face, the field effect fails to nerf your water type moves much (only 0.9x). Good luck!

12. Terra / T3RR4 / Terrawr (Ground)

Terra, besides being the embodiment of the Internet, is not as strong as the other end-game gym leaders. This is accredited to the fact that her field effect doesn't assist her typing much. Her team is very bulky, and she tends to try and tank out the damage whilst increasing her SpD and Defence stats. Thankfully, she doesn't hit neither as fast nor hard as Charlotte, so you can take time to set up on her team after felling her offensive lead Nidoking. She doesn't have a good coverage base, so as long as you have set-up moves, or powerful pokemon, you'll end up on top (if u no what i mean bby) <--- Yes, that's how she speaks all the time.

13. Ciel (Flying)

Second hardest, in my opinion, after Charlotte. Ciel uses several competitive sets to try and rip you apart, having above average speed base and a Mega as her ace. She leads with the Helix-condemned FlinchHax Togekiss, to show an example of how hard she is. Add to that, she spams Acrobatics and Boomburst/Hyper Voice, both of which are boosted by the field effect. To defeat her, you need to try to be faster than the majority of her team, so you can take them down before they use their coverage moves. Her electric type coverage seems to be lacking, save for Archeops and Gliscor's Earthquake. Archeops, however, conviently has Choice Band which locks it into a specific coverage move, so you can bait it into locking into Earthquake and setting up with a flying type. Her Mega Altaria hits extremely hard with Field-And-Pixellate-Boosted Hyper Voice, though I found out that a Gardevoir can live it and OHKO it with a Moonblast, so there's that.

So, that's all the major bosses covered. I hope you have a good run of Pokemon Reborn, and may Helix guide your steps!

7. Noel (Normal)
Arguably the easiest of the gym leaders, you'll find that if you have any fighting types on your team, you won't even need any strategy to defeat him. Just power through everyone with a fighting type, but watch out for his last 3 members; Guts-Boosted-Facade Swellow, King's-Rock-FlinchHax Cincinno and finally Technically-Not-Normal-Type Clefable. Solution? Steel types. Swellow can't touch it with any of its moves, Cincinno has HP Fire but considering its special attack stat, you'll shrug it off, and finally Clefable, being weak to Steel types and only having HP Ground to cover its weakness.

It seems my life was a lie. I struggled hard and fast with noel, and had to try a total of 15 times to beat him. On the other hand serra was so easy that I hardly remember the battle so I guess its a subjective experience :P

Stuff like shards, snax and Common Candies are useful, the first, later on can be exchanged for useful stuff, the Poke Snax let you get Event Pokemon and you might wanna keep an eye on the level cap, it's not fun to have your party start disobeying you mid battle.

EXPLORE. PLEASE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND EXPLORE EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY. You will find so many good and useful things simply because you decided to talk to Random Npc #3002.

T H I S

Don't bother with Noibat. It's not really better than any other flying type in the game at the moment you get it, and by the time it starts to be useful (e.g. when it turns into Noivern) you can find them again, already only a couple level ups away from evolving.

It seems my life was a lie. I struggled hard and fast with noel, and had to try a total of 15 times to beat him. On the other hand serra was so easy that I hardly remember the battle so I guess its a subjective experience :P

Completely agree with you. The only reason I didn't struggle too much against Noel was because of my heavily Poison-oriented team that made it easy to turn the field against him. Otherwise he is a very well-rounded opponent with 1 or 2 fearsome mons *cough PORYGON Z cough*.

Serra on the other hand is a complete pushover if you have anything whose name starts with Magne and ends with Ton. Disappointing leader.

In the end difficulty really depends on your team. That's why Reborn is so good. It forces you to adopt a strategic view when building your team and not just power through everything with OP sweepers.

In all of my playthroughs, I destroyed him in one go. Huh, strange world.

I had a bad time with Serra :/. On the first playthrough, I got so annoyed I decided to level Wigglypuff to level 50 just to learn Hyper Voice and find a Focus Sash so that it could break the damned terrain. After that, I found out that Sp Attacks deflected and I destroyed her with my Charizard, RIP.

T H I S

Don't bother with Noibat. It's not really better than any other flying type in the game at the moment you get it, and by the time it starts to be useful (e.g. when it turns into Noivern) you can find them again, already only a couple level ups away from evolving.

Urgh, I had such a pain trying to evolve Noibat, and when I did get Noivern, it turned out to be not very good anyways :/

Disappointment after disappointment...

Depends on your playstyle and the stats of the Noibat - you need to remember that with the wrong nature and poor IVs, Noibat is crippled.

Not really, at least not early in the game.. a favorable nature will improve a given stat by 10%, which won't make that much of a difference when you're at a low level and it goes from 70 to 77.. This is even worse when it comes to IVs.. at level 50, a perfect IV of 31will boost that stat by 15 extra points.. Not expectacular for early gameplay..

Having a good nature and IVs is important, I'm just saying there's not much you can do for noibat in the early game.. it kind of sucks until you get to evolve it..

Have fun! Enjoy the game, and think about every battle and gym as a puzzle/challenge! This is a wonderfully well-made game where everything has the potential to be viable to the extent that you're creative with it! You'll get through, but just try to have as much fun as possible!

I'd take Hiker's gym guide with a pretty big punch of salt - it REALLY depends on your team. For example, Noel was kinda hard for me, Charlotte was average, and I 6-0d Ciel.

(That said, it's still a good guide, but a leader can be completely flipped in difficulty level if you have an unusual team)

Reborn is in many ways a higher difficulty experience compared to more traditional Pokemon games, though you'll find that if you look hard enough, it provides you with a fair bit more resources than other games, just in creative ways. Never sleep on something because it is generally weak and unpopular, you would be surprised how many would be rejects are juggernauts of destruction early game. Don't feel intimidated by Reborn either, it's a game and games are designed to be beaten, Ame has done a good job balancing everything out to be fair but challenging to make every battle (and I mean every battle) engaging but winnable.
Consider gym badges to be keys, each one unlocks a myriad of new items and pokemon to find so you are consistently given opportunity to upgrade.

Above all else though, have fun! Because holy shit is this game fun as hell.