Windows, Linux, or Mac

Tempest

Make your case about what you run. I'm curious.

I have Windows 10 on my Surface I just got and I'm very much enjoying it; I'm considering replacing my Linux install on my laptop.

I run OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on my laptop because I got tired of Windows 10 and I use Linux on all my servers. I love both, but not being able to run a lot of Windows games sucks. WINE works, but it feels hacky. I might just have to switch to Windows 10 on my laptop.

Also Linux doesn't work on a Surface anyways, so I mind as well do Windows so it's more seamless between the two. I can get Windows Pro and do Hyper-V for when I want Linux anyways.

I have a mac, but now I wish I had a windows laptop instead 'cause it's hard to play games on mac and I have to use wine. Also, I can't seem to use RPG Maker XP on my mac, so I have to use a virtual machine to do that. But, yeah it's a bit of pain, but overall, I think I have a good computer.

I have a mac. I can't really afford anything more, and I've had this thing since 2010. It's a pretty bad computer but at least it runs the most basic things and doesn't get viruses as often as windows, being a mac. I also can't play a lot of games. It sucks.

I have a computer running Windows 10 that I got myself in November 2015. No idea if the specs are relevant, but I'll post them regardless. I guess it's some kind of mid-tier computer thingy.

Specs: Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz, GTX 960 [4 GB VRAM] along with 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM. I never got any viruses.. O.o Scanning once a month with Kaspersky.

I'm still on this old laptop i got back on 2011, and our anniversary is soon <3 but I still am running windows 7 on this computer because 1. I don't like being forced to update and 2. I'm sure i'll break my laptop in some way if I do.update to windows 10. (The only way I'm not being forced to update is because I didn't download the update for windows which would show a popup to install windows 10.)

For servers though, even though I don't run any, I'm pretty sure linux is the best for those, no? It's open source so you can modify the code as you please and since it's free, there's no lost in cash, plus it seems more hardware friendly and just uses less resources in general.

Windows is just what I use because it's simple and straight forward and a vast majority of programs are designed to work on it, so there aren't any major compatibility issues. Plus, it's pretty easy to avoid viruses and malware as long as you know what to look for, which, having accidentally gotten malware onto my computer as kid, I do now know exactly what not to do.

I have a mac, but now I wish I had a windows laptop instead 'cause it's hard to play games on mac and I have to use wine. Also, I can't seem to use RPG Maker XP on my mac, so I have to use a virtual machine to do that. But, yeah it's a bit of pain, but overall, I think I have a good computer.

You can do RPG Maker with WINE. I had it running on Linux. It's a bitch to get it working off the bat, but it works fine once it does. Check out the scripts for play on linux to see what stuff needs to be installed and make sure you're on the latest edition of WINE.

I'm still on this old laptop i got back on 2011, and our anniversary is soon <3 but I still am running windows 7 on this computer because 1. I don't like being forced to update and 2. I'm sure i'll break my laptop in some way if I do.update to windows 10. (The only way I'm not being forced to update is because I didn't download the update for windows which would show a popup to install windows 10.)

For servers though, even though I don't run any, I'm pretty sure linux is the best for those, no? It's open source so you can modify the code as you please and since it's free, there's no lost in cash, plus it seems more hardware friendly and just uses less resources in general.

It's faster, more versatile, scales better, and, because it's open source you have more options. I.E. Windows your only option basically for webservers is IIS, whereas Linux has Apache, Nginx, Litespeed, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Running Windows 10 on a gaming tower. I considered downgrading to Windows 7 to save myself the minor inconveniences and quirks of the new software, but figured it would be too much effort.

Windows 7 is the best OS to-date in my eyes, at least from a gaming/work perspective. Windows 10 introduces a bunch of frilly designs and other worthless effects, but I suppose it's more or less the only option for people who use touch-screen software. It has a bit too much 8 in it.

Both of my laptops have run horrifically slow their entire lives, so I've more or less given up faith in their kind.

My personal experience with Mac is that it isn't open and easy to use when you want to open common Windows Apps on it, even with Wine. Windows has made things easier for me ever since I've transitioned from Mac to Windows.