[IC] Myriad AoW Chapter 1 - Rise from the Cinders

Notus

Bargus

For once Haze showed clear signs of being taken aback by Bargus´ statements. After a moment to let the information sink, he smiled and continued the conversation. "I see, I see... Well, that comes in pretty handy, having more people to guard our backs, even if indiretly. If there´s anything I can do to help, don´t exitate in asking."

Jesse

"Meh, I don´t need him to keep me safe! I can defend myself you know? After all I am the best mage in the world!" Cana said, sounding angry. Despite of her size and looks, the three guards lying knocked out on the floor behind her kind of supported that statement.

"As I said, I´m here for learning more about magic, though I doubt these grown ups can teach me anything. Mister Haze says I should focus more on healing and building magic, but I like fighting more. That other stuff is much more complicated, and it´s so laaaame!"

Misara & Karol

“Now, if you don’t mind maybe taking my sister and I on a tour, we’d truly appreciate that.”

"Oh, sure thing. I am just leaving work, but on my way home I have to pass through the rest of the meeting complex, so it´s no problem. My name is Hesediel by the way." He then pointed towards the huge doors behind him. "And starting the tour, that´s the main Ceremony Hall, where the opening and closing ceremonies of the Student Meeting will be held. We´re remodelling it for the event, so you´ll have to wait for the opening to see how big it is!" He said excitedly.

After that, Hesediel took them for the other parts of the meeting complex: several lecture rooms, some equipped with magical research equipment, laboratories for mana handling, and of course some leisure lounges and restaurants for the participants.

Finally, they arrived at another exit of the mountain city. "Well, that was it. I wish I could show you the rest of the city´s important points, like the Portal House, but trust me: the place is huge inside there." He said pointing towards the caves. "I hope you two enjoy a great time here! Oh, and if you´re looking for a good place to relax after the lectures, look for my wife´s book store." he suggested, handing a little card with the name "Hanna´s Story Box" written on it.

Gabriel

Ledoroch nodded in response and watched as Gabriel disppeared in the night. Then he shook his head and went on his way, thinking about how people always had much more to them then what they showed others.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bargus

"Well, we need all the clues we could get, so how about you interrogate the thugs for me and see if they spill any beans? We aren't really planning on taking the defense here, with there being so many possible targets, so any clue that can get us closer to the assassins' plans, identities and their base of operation would be much appreciated."

Jesse

Jesse sits there quietly and remains calm as Cana went on a rant. Sure this girl can take down three ordinary bodyguards in one go but what if someone par with her talents? or even some mugger with the same mystical glove attack her? this child has a larger bullseye on her back than I though seeing how impulsive she is. I better keep an eye on her just in case that happens. The sharpshooter makes a mental note in his mind.

"My, what a rebellious lady you are, choosing violence and what not." He said with a smile. "How about we calm down and tell me all about it. Where exactly is Haze forcing you to study? and while on the subject, Got any enemies or someone in particular who dislikes you ever since you come here in this city?" Jesse asked Cana, in search of any possible suspect seeing she could be a potential victim.

Edited by Ragnar

Raziel, Prisoner

"Yes, that would be kind of you." Raziel said, keeping his eye on his captive and moving to follow the attendant. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't eaten anything all day. He doubted the prisoner had either. "Anything specific on the menu tonight?" he asked.

Karol, with Misara

“Thank you for your time, kind sir.” Karol gave a respectful bow to Hesediel, making sure to hold back any of her overly patronizing remarks. “My sister and I appreciate your help.”

“So, the Student Meeting is going to be held around here, huh?” A thought crossed Karol’s mind. Hoping to confirm it, she continued speaking. “Is there maybe someone special coming to speak for the ceremony? I’d bet a bunch of people would come to see a big speaking.” And witnesses to some particularly distressing events that could damage the relationships of the races. Best we maybe keep watch if someone important shows up.

Gabriel cursed quietly to himself at the time outside. I shouldn't have stayed so long; I compromised our meeting time. He began to look about, walking at a measured pace as to not draw excessive attention and asking passerby if they'd seen the large metal man. It couldn't have been that difficult to find the man; he wasn't exactly the type to blend with the crowd.

Raziel & Bargus

The attendant started describing in details multiple different dishes while he walked Raziel and his prisoner towards the restaurant. It wasn´t long until the mage heard the familiar voice of the red demon.

"...so any clue that can get us closer to the assassins' plans, identities and their base of operation would be much appreciated."

"Well of course. It´ll be a pleasure to help you in any way I can" Haze answered to Bargus. He then noticed the angels getting closer, eyes immediately drawn to the prisoner´s hand, which he grabbed with a painful expression, hidden in a pocket.
"Mr Bargus, are those by any chance the ones you were talking about?"

Jesse

"Naaah we just got here. The classes will start in two days, but he still says I can´t go out and play alone while I wait!" Cana answered, clearly referring to the meeting. "And no... Though there is that lady from the registration counter. She may be angry that I set fire to her wig."

Karol & Misara

"Oh, of course! Haven´t you heard? Lord Caspiel himself will make an appearance to welcome everyone at the opening, and it´s rumored that Damian Brume will make the ending speech!"

Damian Brume was the highest ranking human representative in the Alliance. Having him and Caspiel in the event meant two of the Alliance´s founders would be in town practically at the same time.

Meanwhile, Misara succeeded in sliping by without being noticed and proceeded to the Hall. The heavy doors were still open as the last workers left the place.

It was huge. Surely the space was capable of confortably receiving everyone involved with the meeting. The floor, apparently white marbel with black patterns resembling runes, was being covered with an elegant red carpet, and flying angels were hanging various crystal chandeliers to the roof in a beautiful spiral pattern.

One of those noticed Misara and hurriedly flew down. "Sorry miss, but we´re working here. Could you please come back another time?"

((Dobby, Lucille and Murdoc are free to join any of the scenes))

Jesse

"I see," Jesse said as his inquiry in finding any leads with Cana comes to a dead end. Well, I got nothing, all I know is: this little girl is quite a troublemaker and her skill as a mage is far too advanced considering how young she is, the only possible lead I got is her school starts in two days, something is bound to occur within that period and not enough information to prevent an incident from happening. Jesse thought to himself and sighed. The sniper's eyes briefly glow whites as his vision penetrates through the wall as he peeks at the other room to see how Bargus is doing, only to find out the place was empty. Bargus and Haze probably left off or something while he was spending his time talking with Cana.

"Well then, It seems your bodyguard Haze left you along with my demon friend, Bargus in the other room. I suppose I should keep you company while your three bodyguards slack off in their jobs" Jesse said as he shifted his eyes to the three grown man pass out on the floor.

"So, What should we play while we wait for them?" Jesse asked Cana as he tries to keep her busy and accidentally becomes this girl's babysitter for the night. I mean he can't just leave this troublesome child here alone, unguarded without any supervision or anything and besides, that's what angels were built to do right? it's their duty watch over something and protect them where no one else would.

Rhaeza, with Jarvis and Alliance Operative

"I'm a operative in the Vampiric STR, which I do have my badge here." Rhaeza said, pulling out a small piece of metal in the shape of what looked like a Dagger. "That is not who I am currently operating for though. The only name from whomever assigned this mission was the Demon named Vermillio who briefed our group on the mission. I wouldn't be surprised if you had no Idea what I'm talking about, but if you know anything please do tell. We have very little to go off of in terms of the insurgents who are behind the attacks." He said, not revealing too much information, but just enough that if the operative did know he would recognize their purpose.

Lucille (since my homework is apparently fucked and it's impossible for me to resume it... screw it, might as well post instead)

The crowd had thinned considerably as she stalked through the streets in utter silence, letting nothing but the ambient noise of the tired city guide her path. Though she lacked sight, the way ahead was clear as day, a sonogram of black and white perfectly outlying countless buildings and facades The texture of the cobbled streets was oddly smooth against her bare feet. Most passersby either outright crossed the street or took extra care to avoid her path, doubtlessly put a bit off by the woman whose very presence more closely resembled that of a beast than any human being. Not like it was anything she hadn't gotten used to though...

"One little girl..." She thought as her stroll back towards the hotel continued. Finding a suitable place closeby had proven a bit more problematic than they'd thought... in the end, Bora had begrudgingly agreed to just go back to the grove and wait to be called. He never did like her being too far... "One, blind little blonde girl, dressed in furs... they never expected it. All they saw was someone small and helpless...'surely, she must be lost...' my how that presumption seemed to fade so quickly... only took word of a few units being wiped out before they realized I was nothing like them at all."

It was just then that a familiar scent caught her nose... "A half-elf...that little stale-one..." She followed the trail around the corner, not even needing Desperaux's prompt squeak of recognition to know the boy was just a few meters ahead in the distance. It was easy for her to pick up the questions he slung at passing strangers, looking about as lost as one would expect a small child alone in such a sprawling metropolis would be... or well, something that at the very least looked like a child.

"Last I saw that Metal Face, he was busy hopping up buildings and distracting guards" Her approach had been totally silent, subtle as the night itself as she stood directly behind Gabriel, eyes like blank moons as she stared at him. "If he wasn't captured with that little diversion, chances are he's been laying low ever since. Either way, you're probably wasting your time trying to get a lead out of these walking Pigeons."

"How unfortunate..." he responded, rather unflappably. She is quite stealthy, isn't she? "I suppose that was to be expected. It does leave me with no way to meet up with the rest of the group, though, unless you've established contact with them." A definite note of frustration entered his typically even tone at this, though it quickly faded. "We should also likely find a more secure location than this to discuss matters of import. . . or, at the very least, less exposed than the midst of the street." I wonder. . . I do need to obtain some assistance, but she seems to be some sort of animal empath. She might take offense. He nodded toward the road ahead. "At minimum we should keep moving. An observer following is easier to track than one standing still."

Lucille

"What's wrong with here?" the girl asked. In that very moment, all the ambient noise of the city's night life instantly faded away to nothing, deafening silence reigning supreme before she broke it with her own voice. "Anyone listening will only hear what I damn well want them to, and you're the only one my voice was being projected to just now. But fine... the others have apparently taken care of things. I was just on the way back anyway"

and with that said, the protective silence that had blanketed them seemed to drop away and the ambient bustle again filled the space like clockwork. Lucille turned on her heels and headed back towards the way she was going in the first place, not bothering to look to see if the boy followed... given she couldn't see at all to begin with.

Bargus

"Yeah, that's him alright." Bargus answered. "Unfortunately, this isn't exactly the best place to interrogate a prisoner. I'll go and relay some information to him real quick." He stood up from his seat and made his way to the angel.

"When you're done eating, come over to my table. I'll take you to a more appropriate location for catching up and dealing with our...guest over there." He quietly told Raziel.

"Discussing covert operations in the midst of the street is generally regarded as bad practice. . . though I suppose that in this case, our target catching wind of us might actually scare them off, which would be good overall." He followed the empath as she began to walk off, falling silent for a few moments as he pondered. So, she has some sort of sound manipulation abilities as well? Or does it tie into her empathy... An intriguing individual, to be sure. "I have spoken a bit with a few students here, and found that narrowing down the potential victims will be. . . difficult. There are a large number of eminent scholars and politicians attending, of course, and I wasn't quite able to single out who would be the most likely to be assaulted."

"Then why_not just assault everyone?" She said idly as she kept walking. "think about it. It only makes sense here, if there are so many potential targets whose deaths could all accomplish the same goal. Why_not go for them all, create a spectacle for the cause, get greedy and take all the fish from the stream? They've already proven they can flaunt alliance security when they killed representatives, getting a bomb or some other even more destructive, perhaps arcane device into one of the proceedings here probably isn't beyond them. And it would certainly go a long way towards destabilizing relations among the races further and sowing paranoia; isolated assassinations are one thing... but focused mass killings are on an entirely different level. "

The way she said it all though.... no real concern or compassion for the potential victims, or outrage at the ethical violations... just the methodical and efficient analysis of a predator gauging out what her prey might try next. She killed killers afterall, it was what she excelled at, had been her sole job for years before the peace. Mapping out the tactics of whatever these terrorist might attempt for their next stunt was no different than evaluating what tactics a unit might react with, whether they would attempt to fight back or just retreat, and how hard or how fast in either case.

Gabriel shook his head. "Whoever this is, they're trying to drive a wedge between the races. Make us fight among ourselves, crack and break apart the alliance with suspicion. A mass, indiscriminate killing would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is terrorism rather than betrayal. Selectively offing individuals of one race at a time, however..." He wasn't fazed by the emotionless manner. He'd been on the other end of this equation enough times that it didn't bother him unduly.

"Well guarding a specific target is going to be impossible if you can't even narrow down who it's most likely to be..." She muttered. Desperaux's attention perked up at the flashing light of the Central Hotel just another block or two away, and so too did Lucille's as she followed the mouse's gaze. "Either way, there needs to be something in place by morning. You and the others will have to figure out who'll be the priority without me though... I honestly don't have the patience to just sit around talking in some gilded prison cell. Once that moron of a mage spills whatever he knows to Raziel, I'm out of that place... well, ex-mage, more like it. Not like bird-boy will ever be using his magic again...or his hand."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow. "I take it there was an altercation of some variety while I was occupied. I'll have to ask Raziel for the details later, I suppose." Asking shouldn't hurt, no? "By the way, you seem to dislike being in the city. I must request a favor that would likely involve leaving it for a short time, though I am not sure you will be amenable to it in all honesty." There was the slightest hint of nervousness in the half-elf's voice, all but undetectable, but still creeping through his facade nonetheless. The people around here have been the understanding sort thus far; she may at least understand my plight, if she does not empathize with it.

"Oh really?" She asked, raising a brow herself at the vague change in subject. Slight though the slip of nerves might've been, she picked up the change in tone like clockwork. She stopped and turned back to face the boy, eyes about as scrutinizing as blank pupils could be. A few brief moments of silence passed, just her and her blank gaze until finally "Well, spit it out then. I know you're no child despite your looks, don't go getting shy all of a sudden after talking to me about assassinations and false flags."

"It's a sensitive issue. The short version is that I require a live animal of a fair size for my own personal devices, and I was wondering if you could obtain one for me. I hesitate to ask you for I fear that you may take offense to this request - you are an animal empath, no? Unlike some you don't seem to hide your true nature." Really, he would be surprised if she didn't put two and two together from that. The clues were there... but then, he wasn't a slavering monster like the rest.

"..." She stared at him blankly a moment more. Despereaux as well, sitting perched on her shoulder in full view as he stroked his whiskers. She concentrated for a moment... let the lurking awareness of the supernatural, or in this case, the unnatural that had constantly surged through her mind like an overrun stream actually flood into the forefront of her thought; ever since she'd gotten to this damn city and even weeks earlier in the thousand, she'd been relatively ignoring all but the most powerful of signatures, Luna's having been case and point.... the thing was that there were just so damn many of them, it had been simpler and less taxing on herself to restrain her sense to filter them out according to orders of magnitude...

But as she unleashed that innate detection now, she could feel it plain as day, and she honestly wondered why she hadn't put the whole thing together from how off his scent was alone. Perhaps distraction, or agitation at the fact that in all honesty, she wasn't at all happy about the circumstances of her involvement in this little Co-op. Regardless though, sure as day, she picked him right up, right along with all the angels and other shit inhabiting or visiting this damn city.

"...is that so?" She began, letting the sense recede into the background of her mind again, though with a higher sensitivity than she'd been allowing it before. This whole thing about not even realizing was embarrassing regardless of her reasons for missing it. "'It's a sensitive issue' you say...look, if you're a vamp, you should've just cut straight to the point. Just take a good look at me for a moment, who do you think I fought for before all this?" As if to provide a very easy answer, she let her teeth sharpen till they were all little more than jagged edged daggers in her mouth, her irides instantly losing their blank, pearl like appearance only to be replaced with twin reptilian slits surrounded by radiant green that seemed to burn like shimmering twin flames in the night air.

"How big does thing need to be?" she sighed idly, letting the teeth transformation fade, though her eyes remained with their draconic radiance. Honestly, she didn't know why she was even bothering...perhaps because even though they were undead, she couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor bastards like him in the past. Most of them had been rendered into their state entirely against their freewill, given that despite the unnatural nature of what it did to it's victims, Vampirism truly was more or less akin to a chronic disease in how it operated... not some process that was freely and voluntarily entered into, like the preparations for a wizard transforming into a fucking lich.

"I can probably find some random merchant's wagon... there's certainly more than enough of those bastards in this city right now, it wouldn't be hard to arrange for a horse or two to...wonder away while it was unhitched."

At her reaction, Gabriel's hand crept toward his hidden knives. It fell back to his side once it was clear she was still non-hostile. "A horse is about the right size, yes. And, as for my not being forthcoming... people are rarely understanding, and I cannot blame them. Most vampires are mindless killers, given in to their basal urges and nothing that could be called a person. Many of the rest cloak their lust in false elegance, devouring innocent souls in the dark until suspicions grow too great and they move on to their next hiding spot." He shook his head. "I apologize for not being forthcoming, but I am sure you can at least understand my reasons."

Lucille was more than a bit perplexed at his...rather low regard towards other fellows of his kind. Sure, a good portion of them were little more than beasts mad with hunger, but even those who were strong enough to retain some form of sentience despite the disease's influence were still just predators doing what was needed... and most of the time, the victims were human, so who cared? Honestly though, she didn't feel like getting too far into his past. It was late, she had a prisoner to help interrogate, and the rest of the city layout to still memorize for tomorrow. Best to just get this out of the way...

"Well, where I come from most individuals wouldn't be called a 'person' by the other races either. Just a bunch of derogatory shouts and slurs...with humans and elves alike having the biggest knack for getting creative with them." She admitted rather bitterly, in the same moment letting the power welled within her soul expand outward across the entire cityscape, rolling through the air like an unseen force intangible to all but those of a beastial nature. "Though, even I'm not usually so...accommodating...towards the undead, but given that most vamps don't exactly choose this fate willingly...you're better than those who go seeking to defy the laws of nature out of personal gain or power. Whatever beef you might have with the traditional prey methods of other sane vamps is your own business though."

Just as she finished, the sound of hooves clopping hard on cobbled stone and an liberated whinny sounded through the air as a dark shape emerged from down the road, the sliced rope and muzzle that had obviously once restrained the equine to his post flailing behind him as he galloped... how Lucille could've remotely cut the bindings to free him though, was honestly Gabriel's guess. The young stallion slowed to trott not too far from them, closing the rest of the way and staring rather... intently at the boy vamp. Almost as if he had some inkling as to his purpose here...

"I only ask that you make it quick." She said as she let her power recede and her eyes returned to their normal state. "It's not exactly like me being connected to something as it gets torn apart and fed on feels terribly pleasant. So, please...do me a favor and try not to toy with him; right now my influence is the only thing convincing him that everything's alright here and that this is simply the way of things... how his fate is supposed to go. But if I let my hold go, that calm will fade fast and he'll run like hell; animals can sense the supernatural... and they tend to get a bit skittish around those towards the darker end of the spectrum."