OC that you relate to

Damage

So like many in this portion of the forum I have an OC or OCs that I relate to. I think mainly because like many writers characters that I create are a piece of myself. A person that is a fraction of me that reacts in scenarios that a certain part of me agrees with. #1 is a secret agent that feels powerless all too often but tries his hardest to enjoy everything around him. Is there any character that you've created you feel the same way about and why if you don't mind going in detail.

• Administrators

I won't go into detail, but I definitely have been doing the same sort of thing. Not with Reborn since the circumstances behind that are different, but with pretty much every playable character in Starlight they're representative of a specific emotional conflict I have or have had.

Sometimes if I'm like upset or crying or whatever, I'll stop myself and realize... "all right, well, this conflict belongs to X character, how are they going to get over it?" and so I sort of save it away to write into them when the time comes, and then try to jump myself to their conclusion.

Well, like just about every writer, I've written a self-insert or two

However, I think the character I relate to most is actually not one based on myself, but rather one who just happens to face similar struggles. It may come as a surprise to some, but Layla from ANKL is actually not a part of me. I put all of me into Alexus and Riley. Layla is entirely her own person, but I find that we share a lot. Both of us are very much ostracized by the people around us, and often we think they're right. But for some idiotic reason we refuse to throw in the towel. Sure there's a greater than fifty percent chance we'll end up causing someone permanent emotional damage ...or worse. But that doesn't stop us from dreaming of a world where even monsters like us can be redeemed

• Upvote 2

• Support Squad

The foundation of a writers work is their experiences. The way that you have reacted in one situation, how another may have reacted in a similar situation, seeing people deal with conflicts they hold and working towards resolutions, witnessing those rare once-in-a-lifetime moments that oddly end up in a lot of lifetimes, all of this is incorporated into a writers work and essentially makes it impossible not to relate to your writing because, in one way or another, you have had an experience similar to that.

The basis of Stanislavsky's approach to acting as a character is that you think back to a moment in your life similar to the characters and use the emotions you were feeling then to develop empathy and thus act with more sincerity, to lend the acting a note of authenticity. Writers end up doing this automatically because our characters, well, we always have some idea of what their life has been like and so we empathise. We empathise and thus we relate to them.

• Upvote 1

This is good. I guess it just makes sense that the characters we create are similar to us in one way or another. Even villanous characters have a little bit of the creator in them. Me personally the villain that I like the most that I've written is pretty much me if I was pushed farther and desperate to win. I suppose it would be a little difficult to create a character you have no connections with.