Random Video Game Discussion Thread

Commander

Have you ever played a video game that you go like: "Wow, I kind of want to talk about this stuff." Then you realize the topic doesn't exist and you have to make a brand new topic on the forums...which could die within the very same day. It also feels like you gotta make a big long post so that people understand what you're saying.

Basically, this is the lazy an efficient way to bring up a game without having to make a post. It could be anything from "Hey guys, have you seen the new SMT game coming out." Then people can either discuss it or bring fourth another topic. Other than obeying the community rules, I'm fine with whatever pops up in this topic.

Let's see...random game I could bring up. Hmm...how about the last story? It's a very short game that I had quite a bit of fun with especially because the characters have unique conversations every battle. In a way, it felt like an interactive novel, where bosses were similar to zelda type bosses. It's a very fast-paced game so if you're short on time you can still enjoy it. Seems like it went through a price jump now because I got it for $30 new.

This is a cool thread idea Commander so good job coming up with it. :)

I haven't played anything recently I could bring up except maybe a Pokemon app using GPS and trying to be a champion in as many regions as possible and you meet pokemon for each half km area. It's called GPS Monster Scouter and I've been playing it for a month and a half now and it's awesome. It is not like Pokemon Go which the creator wants to make very clear for anyone who checks it out. :) Also there's a base code which can be used to make other data packs other than Pokemon so its very versatile for anyone interested in doing their own data pack. The creator is a fan of pokemon so he did a pokemon one.

It's on Google Play Store and he has thread on PokeCommunity if you want to check it out. I'm trying to convince to post a thread here on Reborn because I'm sure someone could use his base code and make other data packs for things they like like Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or something.

Again awesome idea so thanks Commander.

I considered making a topic like this but never got around to it. Anyone hear of a little game called I am Setsuna?

I looked this one up and the Chrono Trigger design interests me. I'll wait and see what people say about it since the thing I liked about Chrono Trigger was the time conception (the combat was meh to me).

So with the steam sale going on, I can finally recommend buying a couple games. The one I strongly recommend giving a shot is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's a text heavy RPG with a ton of little things, but man is it a well done story. For a game that's 9.99, that could push you away, but I logged 60 hours in one run of the game (though it can be done in 40). The sequel is a bit more pricey, which I need to finish, but the series has 7 games with are slowly coming to the us.

Day 1 of the Steam Summer sale: I have bought about 7 or 8 games so far, only 1 of which I will probably play in the near future. My wallet/bank account won't make it through this alive. Tell my family I love them.

I can't exactly remember if there was a thread for it or not already, but the game in question that I've already began playing is Darkest Dungeon. Are you a masochist but miss that side-scrolling dungeon-crawling feeling that Dark Souls just doesn't bring to the table? Well do I have the game for you! Darkest Dungeon, come watch your heroes slip into a world of paranoia fueled by desire and the death that comes from it!

...seriously though, that game is hard.

I bought Darkest Dungeon, Broforce, Paper's Please, Pillars of Eternity, Prison Architect, Portal 1, Titan Souls, Tales of Zesteria, and Enter the Gungeon.

And yet I'm still just sitting here playing Smash 4 instead lol.

Good luck playing those...

On a sidenote, I just bought a game called Lyne, it seems interesting from what I've played of it so far.

Man don't you just miss those great old platform games? I would really like if more of the new games were at least kind of similar to them. And then after their success, even better sequals happen. Better, but not much different in controls or graphics and all that jazz. For some reason that makes me like them even more.

Crash bandicoot warped, Tomba2, Banjo-Tooie, Spyro are just some of my favorites. These were about the actual gameplay, no bizzare or dramatic story was necessary. A joke here and there, fun gameplay from easy to challanging maybe a puzzle or an easter egg, I love it.

I'm actually playing all of those again after all these years since there are no interesting games that my laptop can run right now. Has anyone played any of the above? Those were some careless times.

Edited by LemonJones

Gaming experts agree that Tokyo Mirage Sessions should have had multiple Fire Emblem persona per character.

And that Itsuki is more like Marth but they gave him Chrom, while Tsubasa is more like Sumia, but they gave her Caeda.

• 3 weeks later...

Enter the Gungeon has been taking up a bit of my time recently. The game is pretty fun and rather addicting in some regards.

Gaming experts agree that Tokyo Mirage Sessions should have had multiple Fire Emblem persona per character.

And that Itsuki is more like Marth but they gave him Chrom, while Tsubasa is more like Sumia, but they gave her Caeda.

So, tell me, is Tokyo Mirage Sessions worth buying at all? Or is it just a mediocre game that has a popular series crossover to help and cover it?

The story is mediocre. And really, the story is in the same vein as Dancing All Night. But I enjoyed the battles themselves. But I really can't recommend it based on just that. So yeah, mediocre game with two brand names trying to sell it.

Ah, was afraid of that. I'm not too familiar with Shin Megami Tensei, and honestly probably don't plan to get familiar with it either, but my ears perked up when I heard Fire Emblem was in the game. Sad to hear that it's just a mediocre fanfiction game.

The story is mediocre. And really, the story is in the same vein as Dancing All Night. But I enjoyed the battles themselves. But I really can't recommend it based on just that. So yeah, mediocre game with two brand names trying to sell it.

I've only played the Prologue and Chapter 1 but yeah I can't really say the story is anything special. Average at best, but combat is fun and fast paced so there's that. I suppose my favorite part of the game is the epic Chrom fist bump (I'm not kidding this happens in the game). The FE perspective isn't really done that well since Caeda doesn't feel like Caeda which is sad since pretty much anyone else from Shadow Dragon didn't have a personality. Missed opportunity but I'd say it's worth picking up if you don't mind JRPGs (unless you haven't played Xenoblade X then buy that instead).

Depending on what you're looking for and your systems, I probably could name an RPG that does what Tokyo Mirage Sessions does but better. Not the worst purchase you could make for a Wii U.

I've only played the Prologue and Chapter 1 but yeah I can't really say the story is anything special. Average at best, but combat is fun and fast paced so there's that. I suppose my favorite part of the game is the epic Chrom fist bump (I'm not kidding this happens in the game). The FE perspective isn't really done that well since Caeda doesn't feel like Caeda which is sad since pretty much anyone else from Shadow Dragon didn't have a personality. Missed opportunity but I'd say it's worth picking up if you don't mind JRPGs (unless you haven't played Xenoblade X then buy that instead).

Depending on what you're looking for and your systems, I probably could name an RPG that does what Tokyo Mirage Sessions does but better. Not the worst purchase you could make for a Wii U.

Trust me, Xenoblade is one of the games I am planning on getting, but right now it isn't a high priority. There are a lot of other titles that I would like to get before it, they just aren't all on Wii U.

That being said, I love JRPGs, so if you can suggest any for Wii U, PC, or 3DS (the main three I play on anymore), I'd love to hear 'em.

Xenoblade isn't very good. The hitboxes are wonky and things hit when they clearly shouldn't and a lot of the game is waiting on cooldowns while your character autoattacks and it just isn't very fun. At least to me.

The combat is both a step up and a step down from its predecessor. I thought it was pretty bad until I got used to it. There comes a point where you probably won't even realize your moves are cooling down (especially in the mechs where you can go through a strand of 100 attacks without waiting if you're really, really good). It's more about positioning and breaking weak points over being the most realistic combat. My biggest gripe is the inflation of enemy health prolonging how long it takes to kill them whereas Xenoblade took a minute at most to kill non unique enemies or bosses.

As for RPGs to recommend the Wii U just straight up lacks them sadly. The Last Story is a Wii game that comes to mind other than Xenoblade (and you don't want to cough up that much money for FE Radiant Dawn). The 3DS is easy since there's Persona Q (not my style of game), FE games, Bravely Default/Second, and...eh nothing else stands out. I mean there are other RPGs, but I mostly play on the playstation for them outside a few franchises (cough FE cough).

Now for PC you must play Under...bwahahahahaha sorry to bash on it, but that game doesn't really uphold as much as it did. Sure it was great but it just is talked about so much. I suppose the two I played and really liked are Valkyria Profile (originally a PS3 or maybe 2 game) and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC (originally a PSP game, but the Steam version is so much better). Another one that can only be played as a ROM is Mother 3 which is...a bizarre but well written game).

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard of/played most of them already, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Honestly, I've been meaning to get Mother 3 in some shape or form for quite a while now but, once again, it is not exactly high on the priority list. I'll probably be looking into it after I finish up my time with Enter the Gungeon and actually sit down and finish Ori and the Blind Forest. Like, I already know how the game ends and I'm quite close to beating it, I just haven't gotten around to actually just sitting down for a solid session of it and just finishing it.

Yes, I do believe Undertale has been over-hyped especially since its been almost a full year since its release. That being said, I enjoy watching speedruns of it. Some of the glitches found in the game are somewhat ludicrous. Even so, the quickest run for Neutral Ending Any% is like 55 minutes or something like that.

Edited by DiLimiter

So...anyone else played the Epic Battle Fantasy series?

I'm currently replaying the 4'th game on Epic difficulty, made it to the last dungeon and decided to head over to Battle Mountain.

For those wondering, I bought the game on Steam. Yes, it can be played for free, but I feel like the game is good enough that it deserves to be bought.