Noel Gym Battle

boneezus

So finally, after hours of constant grinding and changing around move sets, adding entirely new pokemon to my team, performing soft resets, and take taking numerous trips to and from Reborn city, I finally beat Noel. I love how metagame strategies were incorporated into his character, but I do believe it pushes the boundaries for how hard a gym leader should be. If you have a powerful steel type, you can beat him. If not, good luck, also you better level your team up to get the max speed, because you will need it.

Or you can just burn them. Burn them all! I was using double fire type back then because of Serra, so with the burning field the fight was much easier, and I unlocked new dialogue after the battle. Something about Charlotte and the scars in her face.

Oh, and I also pp stalled Clefable so it killed itself using struggle.

My first ever battle against Noel also came down to a struggle. Basically (this was pre-gen6 reborn), the clefable could not KO my maxed spdef set up Luxray, nor could my Luxray KO the maxed meteor mash Clefable... so I kept healing when needed, the field healed the clefable too, as did its lefties. Eventually, it struggled and the damage it did to itself overwhelmed the heals it got per turn until it KO'd itself. The end.

Post-gen 6, I never had real issues with Noel

My original problem was that my team was still around the previous level cap, I lacked a steel type (I ended up training magneton), and I didn't have a counter for porygon Z, which I ended up paralyzing. I either poisoned or put the rest of his team to sleep, but it was still difficult as most of his pokemon are extremely speedy compared to my team.

Or you can just burn them. Burn them all!

Guts Swellow. Actually you don't need to burn it. It was a flame orb itself. And it rips you to shreds. Swellow was my only problem with Noel, and the only reason i reseted the battle countless times. I killed everything else he had pretty easily. Even Clefable, was taken care by my butterfree after a battle of sleep + quiver dance vs cosmic powers + trainer potions.

Noel was always a stop sign for me. Once I got to him, I would always end up having to get another pokemon. On my mono dark run, Drapion was the mvp against him, good defense, not weak to fairy, and destroys Clefable with Cross Poison. After that, I kinda just default to Drapion for help against him, or well, just torch the field with eruption like I did on my last run. Typhlosion rocks against him.

I remember that the first time I was up against him, he kind of caught me off guard with his part fairy and flying types, since I had planned to use a fighting type against him. I think I ended up burning the field with my Delphox.

Second time? A breeze, I had a Mawile with iron head, so I didn't really have too much trouble as I thought I would have against him.

• Developers

Noel has one more weakness. As his battle happens outside you can wait for the right weather to help you. Sunny weather + Burning Field = Dead Noel. :-P

The same weakness applies for Kiki as well although I have didn't try it yet. You can wait for sunny/rainy/thunderstorm weather and reverse it to create Rainbow Field and then just take Kiki down with Flying types.

Weather doesn't work on Kiki anymore. When you try and set up weather you get a message saying "the mysterious wind blows anyway" or something like that.

Because you happened to challenge her on a windy day. It has been stated somewhere in this forum that the weather during windy days is Mega Rayquaza's Delta Stream. Thats why you failed to set up another weather.

It has also been stated that it will be modified someday and you will be able to set up weather during windy days, except if it is brought by a Mega Rayquaza personally during battle.

Edited by DemICE

Noel sent out Wiggly

DemICE sent out Venusaur

Venusaur used Leed Seed

DemICE sent out Nidoqueen

Nidoqueen used Toxic Spikes

DemICE sent out Roserade (level 45 Adamant)

Roserade used Grasswhistle (80% accurate in field)

Roserade used Growth x3 (field boosted)

DemICE used X-Speed x2 (i hate Swellow)

<start loop x6>

Roserade used Venoshock

<%target> fainted

Noel sent out <%target>

<end loop>

Its funny that in my main run where i could use any pokemon i wanted, i struggled so much against certain leaders, and now that i do a mono-poison most of them are just so much easier

Edited by DemICE