Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

We can all agree that the map in the trailer is definitely not the whole game and we'll be exploring different islands right? Well I'm predicting that June 2nd will be official confirmation of that. And maybe they'll finally tell the games' place on the timeline?

I also agree that new info should be put in spoilers from here on out. I would suggest something like maybe a format of delivering news to this thread

For example: Maybe without spoiler tags, state the kind of info that was revealed without spoiling what it is and then provide the actual info in spoiler tags (also comment on it in spoiler tags) i.e. so today we got info on features/ legends/region/pokedex/typings -spoiler tag- info- spoiler tag-

I think that allows people who are still waiting for only a certain type of info to see whether they want to click the spoiler or not.

For example , if I'm waiting to see info on the starters, I'd be able to know info was revealed about them without actually spoiling myself with the info itself if I see some person write without spoiler tags "we got starters info"

Does that even make sense? It made sense in my head, I swear :ph34r:

But either way, it seems that final evos of starters (and typings) were only ever revealed before launch via leaks so there is not much hope for official news apart seeing the 2nd stage evos

Poor Torterra. It should have had Solid Rock as a HA and gotten access to Shell Smash. It'd have been excellent then.

But yes, I suggest the following simple format:

[Revealed: Name or label of new info, but no specifics]

[spoilered text]

As an example:

Revealed: Starter Evos / Player Characters / Region Map / New Gameplay trailer / Evil Team / etc.

And this is where I'd put the sample text, CoroCoro scan, serebii news or video link....IF I HAD ONE!

New topic is too cumbersome and specific, IMO, not to mention that it'll shut this one, which I am somewhat iffy about. Maybe someone can just ask Godot to modify the first post and make a nice large bold one about format of spoilers?

Since trainers now appear in the backgrounds in battles, I kind of wonder if they'll bring back trainers making comments when they're on their last Pokemon and such. That's something I liked in Gen 4 and 5 and was kind of disappointed wasn't in Gen 6.

Already mentioned how I'll be very disappointed if trainers do nothing but stand there in the background

I wonder how the online features of Sun and Moon will pan out. Will they effectively be the same as what we had with the PSS in Gen 6? Heck, could Gen 7 games be compatible with Gen 6 online battles?

On the assumption that Winter Trade will return, what new and exotic Route 1 fodder can we look forward to receiving 80% of the time?

Wonder Trade is nice. Seriously, spend half an hour and you're bound to get an Eevee, Charmander, Froakie or other popular breedjects, often with 3 or more 31 IV, a good nature and the competitively most viable ability.

I'm not sure why you would want news to be in spoilers. Isn't open discussion about Sun and Moon the whole point of this thread?

Every thread anywhere on the internet has a respectful spoiler policy so I think it's only natural. Some people may find it the easiest place to find out what sort of information was revealed without seeing the actual content (because on serebii or such, you'd simply directly see the info spoiled ). I think it's reasonable enough to put info in spoilers for people who don't want to see it

On a random note, do you guys have any theories or know any videos discussing the forehead stuff on the legends' heads?

KIXiMaw.png

kbfVNxd.png

Nvm the lion since its forehead thingy just looks like the sun logo but the moon bat.. That looks like a third eye/near full moon thingy. Could we be dealing with a hint of a hindu myth ?

Edited by Masquerain

Hm. Given the shapes' likenesses to the Sun and the Moon, it's quite possible that at the point where they appear, the Pokémon are drawing power from their respective celestial bodies by whatever means. I couldn't really tell from the trailer whether the symbols were appearing in a cutscene or during battle. If the latter is the case, this close-up shot may be the initiation of each one's signature move.

Alternatively, it could simply be a visual effect added for no particular reason other than to look cool.

I think I was going more for a "symbolism" theorizing , cause yeah, they power up their signature move with that and with glowing eyes, we know that much. But could these symbols give us a hint to something about the lore of these legends maybe? That third eye especially is quite clearly a third eye (even if it can double as a moon) Tbh the moon bat looks like a pokemon version of Olympia but yea

It might also have something to do with the way you encounter them. We haven't battled a legendary that gets boosted by a terrain it's in, time of battle (day-night) or any other special circumstances. Even the Hoehn ones, which one would say have rain/sun going on for them, we battle them in a cave, in which the weather effects are not in effect. Perhaps the evil team is trying to add something in what they do with the legends here and the symbols are a way to signify this.

That, or it's just a cool design. I don't remember Hindu have anything to do with lions. They usually use Tigers to represent divine presences. I guess Viri could tell us more about this, since I think he's a local.

That, or it's just a cool design. I don't remember Hindu have anything to do with lions. They usually use Tigers to represent divine presences. I guess Viri could tell us more about this, since I think he's a local.

I doubt it will have any Hindu Mythology connection. Seems out of place for a region based in Hawaii. But there is a lion in Hindu mythology...or a half-lion I guess. Meet one of Vishnu's avatars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narasimha

I doubt it will have any Hindu Mythology connection. Seems out of place for a region based in Hawaii. But there is a lion in Hindu mythology...or a half-lion I guess. Meet one of Vishnu's avatars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narasimha

If you trace back other regions' mythologies, not all of them belong to the real world place they're based off of (hoenn and jewish myths/ unova and taoism) I personally think ancient things aren't out of place for Hawaii since the place itself harbours a lot of traditional, spiritual and ancient artefacts . I think hindu myths and beliefs could fit in this kind of place , especially since we're dealing with astrological signs that are known to represent the soul and spirit (if we really are going to delve into alchemy/azoth ritual as speculated, these concept fit even more)

Mmh, seems like the right time to chime in.

First off, noting again that save for Johto, none of the regions' legendaries actually had any particular connection to the mythos of the real world places their regions were based on. So it is not implausible for Indic myths to exist as a basis here.

And to give an opinion, I know of no lunar bats with third eyes in any of our mythology. Bats themselves are rarely mentioned, and have no ties with any major epics or legends. The concept of a third eye is associated with Shiva, and he is not connected with bats either. We can conclude with reasonable certainty, then, that MoonBat's forehead symbol is purely aesthetic and may hint at a Psychic type, and may have associations with astrology rather than with Vedic mythology at any rate.

Lions, however, are significant. India being the only place where lions as well as tigers coincide, both feature greatly as symbols in many legends, and both appear as the steeds of goddesses in particular. Narashimaswami is another noteworthy presence of leonine figures. It is still a bit of a stretch to associate Mega Pyroar with Indic myth, as it doesn't particularly draw any connection yet...apart from being a lion, of course.

If the connection to Indic legend had to be made, I'd have gone for things like eagles, cobras, and elephants, which feature in myths more than bats.