What's your phobia?

Solarance

Not exactly my phobia, but this is a hilarious video about phobias. Arachnaphobia warning, and BE CAREFUL AT THE END. TRUST ME

like not even kidding i fell out my chair and almost shit myself

Funny you mention that, I made the gif in the OP from that video.

I have two phobias.

Thalassophobia - Fear of the sea

"Thalassophobia can include fear of being in large bodies of water, fear of the vast emptiness of the sea, and fear of distance from land. Thalassophobes may also be afraid of encountering sea creatures rather than the sea itself."

That's why you'll never see me on the beach, or riding a boat.

I have another phobia but I don't know the name.

It's basically a fear of invertebrate animals, not all of them, just these here:

• Flatworms

• Annelids

• Nematodes

• Molluscs

Yeye, blame my Science Teacher for this.

well i do have sanityphobia but i have learned to accept it usually sometimes and katsaridaphobia the fear of cacroches(not exactly a fear more that they may make my skin crawl aint afraid to face and squish em little buggers if i have to but usually i let em be and just scare em away).

I am an entomophobe through and through. If it can colloquially be classified as "bug" it scares the shit out of me. Exceptions for butterflies and fireflies (IDK why) and gnats (or anything else too small for me to visually discern that it's an arthropod and not just a floating black speck) So no, not touching that spider thing, just seeing the picture on the video makes me panicky

I'm also somewhat telephonophobic. I can only answer the phone or make phone calls under very specific circumstances. Those being that I know with 100% certainty who is going to be on the other end and I'm comfortable with them/it's my home phone so all of the four possible answers to the question of whom I'll be speaking to are people I'm comfortable with

I have yet to find a language that can describe my fears fully and correctly, in a way that can be understood. The words do not exist, and mashing words together to make up for it is nonsensical, just like the fears.

For more general ones, minor pyrophobia (coupled with minor pyromania), and acrophobia, though that's usually only on thin ground (like a bridge), or questionably stable areas (like a ladder against a house). I can stand on a building and stare straight down off it, but I cannot descend from it on a ladder... Considering that... Climacophobia might be a bit more accurate, but only with ladders.

and homophobia :D (yeah, I have fear from crowds and strange people)

I think you're looking for Anthropophobia.

EDIT:

Thanks for reminding me, ICSW. Syringe needles are my bane. Oddly enough, I'm barely phased by 16 gauge needles, which iirc are about twice as thick. Thinner the worse.

Edited by Cobalt996

I wouldn't call it a "phobia" a lot more like a fear. I've always been scared of being in the dark. My sight is awful, and my hearing is perfect. Making it incredibly easy to imagine shadows and sounds as things they are not. I'm slowly getting over this fear though. It used to be so bad I just wouldn't be able to move in the dark, now I can actually traverse a dark location.

A list of my fears in no particular order;

-Acrophobia- Fear of heights, though I don't really have a fear of falling. Go figure.

-Claustrophobia- Fear of closed spaces.

-Believe it or not, I'm afraid of Oarfish. I'm not sure why, as they are harmless...

I feel like my list will probably different from before. I fear quite a bit. If something I am afraid of may be conceived as offensive, please know that I would have already come up to you if I felt threatened by you. I love this community for what it is. A haven for multiple people with multiple issues - and if you do cause some of these phobias to kick in, please know that I am able to work through them for the sake of being supportive to you all as people.

Monophobia - or the fear of being alone. The type of loneliness I fear isn't romantic in nature, but is just general. My life - despite being an introvert - reflects this in many ways. My complete job experience is comprised of jobs from fields such as ministry or the civic field - jobs that are heavily reliant on dealing with other people. I have a tendency to be more at home being in groups - regardless of medium - so even times when I'm at home on the computer to the eye, I usually always have Skype or Reborn up in order to communicate and avoid being left alone. I can absolutely manage being alone - and have done so - but it's not nearly as comfortable as being connected to others and is often the cause of anxiety and depression.

Atheophobia - or the fear, DISTRUST, or hatred of those who affirm an atheistic worldview to be true OR ATHEISM ITSELF. Distrust being bolded because out of three manifestations it is the most prevalent in my own life, and the 'Ism because I actually don't hold any low regard to most of those with that worldview - but rather the worldview itself. Rather than choose to be defensive and try to say "I'm sorry" for having to admit it - atheism to me is a rather dreary worldview to have - and that's the major reason I can claim to have this phobia. Call me what you want - but a meaningless life and an expiration date, among other things, DOES seem like nightmare fuel to me. I won't lay it on thick if you're afraid of spiders or people that breastfeed in public or what have you, if you don't pester me for being afraid of a worldview.

Also - this actually has it's own ties to Monophobia. If a deity is always in your pocket, it lessens the impression of feeling alone. If there is no God, then the chances I'm alone increase. Personally, that's unsettling.

and finally for this set.

Atychiphobia - or the fear of failure. Do you ever hate losing? Do you ever feel yourself grow anxious if you didn't study for a test or prepare for a presentation or performance? You all might have experienced this phobia at some point. For me though, failure led to other unfavorable consequences. I was one of those kids who fell victim to being mocked for things like losing a race (A feat I manage to do quite often at work when a kid invites me to one.) or getting a math question wrong after being called on. There's a saying that "Failure helps you learn." - and in my case it was particularly true, because being afraid isn't fun at all.

Only two that I know of.

Thalassophobia and Acrophobia.

I can't handle seeing large bodies of water like a deep lake or a Bay/Gulf/Ocean.

I hate having to deal with heights, when I have nothing beneath my feet, if I'm in the air.