Winter/Spring Anime Season 2015

Felicity

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I already like this season a lot more than last season honestly- if only because not everything I'm planning to watch or am watching is all clumped up on saturday/sunday.

Since my last post I also watched the first episodes of Haruchika, the PSO2 animation, and Aokana. There's a lot of stuff that isn't on crunchyroll that I wasn't aware had already aired like 4-5 days ago and some things that dana and wes friends are making me consider adding to the list so whenever I get around to it I'll probably update that last list with all the other stuff I've decided to watch/forgot about.

As for the above three that I HAVE watched, I don't feel terribly strongly about Haruchika and only checked it out because recommendations included both Hibike! and Hyouka (obviously, Hyouka swayed me a little more) and I can kind of see it, but... idk. Maybe I'll feel differently about it as it goes on but right now I was only caught off guard by the happening at the end and if that's the center of the plot for the rest of the series I'm probably not going to finish it. Chika's cute though, I guess.

The PSO2 animation is... well, it's a thing. I really enjoyed the game even if I did have to jump through a lot of hoops (and I feel like the guard at the beginning was a subtle (not so subtle?) joke about that which amused me) to play it. With any luck I'm hoping it's more than a glorified advertisement. Don't feel terribly strongly about this one either but just because of the attachment to the game I'll probably keep watching. Please give the MC a weapon that isn't a gunslash ;-;

Aokana on the other hand was something I was expecting to watch from the get go and being a VN adaptation, obviously slightly wary of it. I don't know why but I feel like it's going to make me very sad. haha thats just the clannad and angel beats speaking The idea of grav boots was something I've always found really cool, admittedly stemming from Shadow the Hedgehog's air skates (if that's what they're called?), and like I said above I played PSO2 a lot and my main class was Bouncer (or Fighter, but I used all-class jet boots anyway so it may as well have been Bouncer); unfortunately, as we know, I am an incredible casual and know nothing of the source so I don't have any preconceptions or things I expect to look forward to just yet. I do like the contrast in all the characters so far, even with just the first two female leads seen here. Also Hinata's obvious reluctance to fly and instead choosing to run to school - until pressured by the aforementioned characters - makes me think some shit happened. But he doesn't seem outright afraid to do it when he does follow them and just seems to prefer the alternative. idk what to expect.

May update later after I watch the second Phantom World episode but for now I have other stuff to do.

EDIT: before dana kills me yes i know angel beats was not a VN adaptation it still made me sad okay

EDIT2: I got around to watching the new Phantom World episode. I think Minase is going to be my favorite (to probably no one's surprise), and I'll give the fanservice a pass because that aside the show still has pretty sick animation and cute girls as I tend to expect from KyoAni if nothing else. I'm looking forward to Haruhiko eventually summoning something actually cool and effective, if he ever gets promoted from his current verbal/physical punching bag position. I'm not terribly smart or something so I'm not sure how accurate the references and scientific explanations he has for things are, but assuming they ARE accurate, I can appreciate the research put into them. That was one of my favorite things about Aldnoah.Zero, in retrospect. This episode in particular opened up with commentary on the difference between reality and illusion because what we see is a model of the world our brains make; personally I think the way we individually see the world vs others potentially seeing things differently than us is a fun thing to think about. Kind of like this - http://www.livescience.com/21275-color-red-blue-scientists.html - but maybe that's just me.

also their disgusted condescending faces are still on point.

• Administrators

I'm not sure if shounen manga vs visual novel is a fair comparison, much less by referring to the VN as a harem... not that I know for sure, but presumably as a VN each character probably has their own route (although vndb had the tag "long common route" so idk) and I'm willing to bet there'll be one specific love interest if any. Bit of a stretch to call that a harem, I think.

On another note, Erased episode 2 happened and I think I'm going to get a little ahead of myself and call that this will be my favorite this season. Unlike the other anime I already find myself wanting to know what's going to happen next or how it's going to end and considering possibilities like, "how is this going to go wrong" or "is he going to just relive his entire life from where he is now, or will he go back to his normal time when everything he was supposed to fix is resolved" and "if he does go back to his normal time has he been arrested or did he just straight up disappear" or "will the future change more than he expected because of the butterfly effect", "what if he ended up making things worse" and the opening/ending are great both visually and in terms of apparent symbolism

more pls

• Support Squad

Same feelings about Erased ep 2. It's hit me as my favourite so far. The idea to go back and fix your mistakes is one I've been toying around with for years, so this story is perfect. It also looks really nice with the cinematic blacklines. Interesting to note though, that those weren't present in the scene with all the projector tape(?) stuff.

And the concepts are near identical for Air gear and Ao Kana, the main difference being Ao Kana having outright flying shoes and not just superbly awesome rollerskates.

what the two above me said. this might even end up being my favorite anime of the year, which says a lot because 2016 is filled with some pretty amazing shows.

It also looks really nice with the cinematic blacklines. Interesting to note though, that those weren't present in the scene with all the projector tape(?) stuff.

ye, pretty sure they weren't present on the original timeline either.

Edited by Gore

Well, seeing as we are a week into the season, I think I shall give my first impressions for the season.
New Series:

• Koukaku no Pandora: Ghost Urn- Honestly, this one's pretty fun. It's got a nice sense of whimsy and knows how to not take itself seriously and just have fun. This is definitely a good one if you just want a ride of pure fun and whimsy. Oh, and Clarion is best girl.
  • Dagashi Kashi- Another one that just knows how to have fun. The characters are nice and quirky and it creates an fun little premise which it just rolls with. Though, since it does center around a rural candy shop, I do wonder how far this series can go before it starts to get stale. I guess as long as it can keep the character dynamics going while keeping the humor fresh, it should be just fine. (Now the question is, are you with #TeamHotaru or #TeamSaya?)
  • Durarara!!x2 Ketsu- A dullahan, some doctor with a gas mask, a crazy couple…Okay, I can't go on with this. First episode was just a demonstration of just how crazy everyone in this series is. With the exception of Togusa and Egor, there is not a single person in this episode who I would consider sane. I want to see tensions finally boil over. Let's see that happen soon, 'kay?
  • Luck and Logic- This first episode reminded me so much of Bleach's first episode and that's a good thing. While the MC seems to be OP, I like the fact that he's a veteran returning to battle and I like the fact that his powers are more defense oriented. The latter is something I rarely see and honestly, I definitely want to see where this goes.
  • Dimension W- That dance scene in the OP. I want to learn it. All jokes aside, this gives a nice Darker than Black vibe (though that could just be because of Kyouma's weapon of choice). As much as the concept of the 4th spatial dimension kinda irks me, it's at a level where my suspension of disbelief is satisfactory. Plus, I quite enjoy Kyouma as an MC. So, this is definitely well worth the watch.
  • Hai to Gensou to Grimgar- This one is visually a treat. It gives off such a nice vibe and has the protagonist squad starting at what is essentially Level 1. It has a lot of opportunity for character growth considering that the characters are all amnesiacs lost in an unfamiliar fantasy world. The episode also is nice and slow and doesn't feel like it's cramming everything in.
  • Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara- A 4 minute episode animu that is fairly self-aware and is having fun with the modern magical girl anime. Seems like kinda hit-and-miss.
  • Ooyasama wa Shishunki- A 2 minute episode animu about a guy who moves into an apartment complex with a middle schooler for a landlord. It seems to put a lot of weight into its cuteness more than anything else but seems to be kinda hit-and-miss as well.
  • Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm-I like it. The Flying Circus idea feels nice and dynamic without some crazy over the top fighting added in. The tone of the episode just gives this nice and lazy feel like floating in the sky. Plus, I quite enjoy the MC and just feel like rooting for her when I watch it. Though, I'm the opposite of Dobby. I could never get into Air Gear but I honestly love this. Meh.

Carry-overs from Previous Seasons:

• Heavy Object-Qwenser's and Heivia's wild ride continues. With a brand new OP to pump the blood, their quest to blow up mechs and walk away without looking at the 'splosions like true badasses continues. Honestly, I can't wait for the finale so I can finally start reading the novels where the anime leaves off, which will likely be the end of Volume 3 of the novels given the pacing.
  • Yu-gi-oh! Arc-V: I'm the only person here watching this but whatever. The Synchro Dimension arc is finally picking up and the invasion is starting. Let the hype begin as absolute chaos breaks out.

I hope you watched the previous seasons of Durarara otherwise you won't understand most of the stuff that is going on.

Yeah, I have. I was watching them when they aired so don't worry. I understand…to a certain extent…what's going on.

i like bubuki buranki's op. the red haired chick reminds me of zumi for some reason.

also, speaking of cgi anime, the first episode of ajin came out earlier (in shitty subs) and i'm really liking how it's being done so far. the cgi isn't as good as bubuki buranki's, but it's still decent, to some extent. i just wish it didn't feel like watching some fucking 10 fps gameplay, it really doesn't feel smooth most of the times. at least the ajin fighting scenes seem pretty good from the preview, so i'll just wait for those.

other than the cgi, it's pretty solid so far. the soundtrack easily makes up for the animation, it's so fucking good. opening is also amazing, probably my favorite of the season along with divine gate's:

this comment tho lmao. had me in tears.

Wph64nT.png

gonna wait till 5-6 episodes have aired for each show to talk about my favorite ones.

• Veterans

Started watching Erased! I like it so far tbh so I'm really curious where the story will go :0

Also, is there any chance the person who made the music is Kajiura Yuki, because the OST is giving me heavy pmmm/sao vibes whoops

• Support Squad

Started watching Erased! I like it so far tbh so I'm really curious where the story will go :0

Also, is there any chance the person who made the music is Kajiura Yuki, because the OST is giving me heavy pmmm/sao vibes whoops

Yeah, Yuki Kajira is on board for Erased's ost

Just got on board the erased train, and I'm loving the ride so far. It was the only one that stood out to me among the new anime being produced this season so I ain't watching anything else at the moment. Seinen is by far my favorite genre of anime though, so maybe that's why nothing else grabbed my attention.

Just got on board the erased train, and I'm loving the ride so far. It was the only one that stood out to me among the new anime being produced this season so I ain't watching anything else at the moment. Seinen is by far my favorite genre of anime though, so maybe that's why nothing else grabbed my attention.

ajin is the only other seinen airing this season and it's pretty good. only drawback is the cgi animation, which sometimes has low fps, but every now and then it has some pretty well animated scenes. the death scene at the end of episode 2 was so freaking epic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Support Squad

mk lemme nerd out over ERASED again.

Plot aside, I've never been good at guessing this stuff (IT WAS THE FUCKING BUTLER TEACHER) One thing I know for certain now with the new ep is that they are specifically making the past seem like a film. In the opening you see the MC sitting in a thatre with his kid self, there's a lot of film tape used in transitional scenes (iirc) and then you have the cinematic black lines only in the past.

Mark my words, when we see the past without those black lines, things will change. The MC will no longer be a part of the audience powerless to change anything.

mk lemme nerd out over ERASED again.

Plot aside, I've never been good at guessing this stuff (IT WAS THE FUCKING BUTLER TEACHER) One thing I know for certain now with the new ep is that they are specifically making the past seem like a film. In the opening you see the MC sitting in a thatre with his kid self, there's a lot of film tape used in transitional scenes (iirc) and then you have the cinematic black lines only in the past.

Mark my words, when we see the past without those black lines, things will change. The MC will no longer be a part of the audience powerless to change anything.

I've actually thought about it being the teacher too (Even though I really hope it isn't because he's such a nice guy :c), but I kind of brushed it aside due to a lack of evidence at this point. (Plus the guy we do see in the present doesn't look quite the same as the teacher to me. It could be, but I don't see it.)

I do like your hypothesis about the cinematic lines though. I noticed them, but never really gave them much thought. Your last line there is actually a really cool concept. Erased is my favorite anime of the season so far, so I'm really excited to see where things go.

Hehe, the manga readers know what happens :]]]]]]]]]]]

But I will say this is definitely the anime of the season.

So far, I'm only watching Erased, Assasination Classroom 2nd Season, Niijiro Days, Musaigen no Phantom World, Dragon Ball Super, Koyomonogatari, and Durarara x2 Ketsu.

ERASED is definitely looking like a great series and I reckon everything is caused by multiple people (including the teacher) involved with each of the incidences.

I'm also really liking Grimgar, the music and visuals can be amazing at times and the pacing of the story is nice. I just wonder if it will be left in limbo with only 12 episodes and a heap of source material left afterwards.

*Edit Grammar

Edited by mrverifyme