Winter/Spring Anime Season 2015

Felicity

• Support Squad

Dimension W hasn't caught my interest so far.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash has strangely enough.

It's super chill and, I hesitate to say this tbh, realistic in the issues new adventurers would face.

As for Erased

FUCKING

CALLED

IT

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually about to watch the newest episode of gate. And I'm excited. There's gonna be a battle at the embassy and it's about time. Not only that, they're using paratroopers.

You know those guys sitting on the runway by the plane with their ruck sacks on their legs? The ones that obvious moron doucheclown reporter thinks are sitting around doing nothing?

I recognized those guys instantly, because that's what I used to do in the army- Sit around waiting to jump out of planes and seize locations.

Not only is it gonna be a battle, which I really enjoy in Gate (aside from the hotspring bullshit), but it feels like its kind of pandering to me specifically in this episode.

Now time to sit down and watch it and see if I should have been excited or not.

Edit: Aww, it's just another filler episode. Only two more episodes left in the season.

Watched Thursday's episode of Erased just now.

Well, it was the teacher, and as I said before, it makes me a little bit disappointed, but it's an understandable choice for the killer. I'm partially upset because I really didn't want it to be him, but mostly because I think they gave away too many hints. I'm a believer that in a mystery anime, the audience should be able to deduce it, but it shouldn't be that obvious. With all the close up pans of Yashiro's face, the shots where he has darkness covering his eyes, and all the other stuff, it was all set up a bit too openly imo. But to be honest, he's definitely the best option story-wise. Nobody else had enough screen time to make it mean anything. Even Nishizono would've seemed kind of random, since he was only in the one episode, and only for a few minutes at that. Yshiro makes the most sens, so I can't say I'm that disappointeed. Just a little bit. Erased is still at the top of my list for this season with Grimgar as of now.

Watched Thursday's episode of Erased just now.

Well, it was the teacher, and as I said before, it makes me a little bit disappointed, but it's an understandable choice for the killer. I'm partially upset because I really didn't want it to be him, but mostly because I think they gave away too many hints. I'm a believer that in a mystery anime, the audience should be able to deduce it, but it shouldn't be that obvious. With all the close up pans of Yashiro's face, the shots where he has darkness covering his eyes, and all the other stuff, it was all set up a bit too openly imo. But to be honest, he's definitely the best option story-wise. Nobody else had enough screen time to make it mean anything. Even Nishizono would've seemed kind of random, since he was only in the one episode, and only for a few minutes at that. Yshiro makes the most sens, so I can't say I'm that disappointeed. Just a little bit. Erased is still at the top of my list for this season with Grimgar as of now.

I didn't want to believe it. It was way too obvious, and I just didn't want it to be him. Ahh it feels like so much wasted potential, I was constantly thinking "it can't be the teacher because the show's making it out to be the teacher".

On a "still Erased but unrelated to the killer" note, can I point out how weird this image of the teacher's desk is? (No plot spoilers in this one, just a picture and some non-spoiler text.)

0fNvUbo.jpg

Like seriously. He has a hamster wheel, but no hamster. It just sits there. Why?!

Was not expecting an actual answer to this. O_O

Kinda late and forgot to post this here, but here are some of trailers that came out recently regarding the gems of Spring 2016 (Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable and Boku No Hero Academia)

Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable Trailer

Boku No Hero Academia Trailer

So I finally got around to watching the last episodes of both Grimgar and Dimension W and figured I'd share some random thoughts about them. Obvious spoilers are obvious, so don't read if you haven't watched to the end.

Dimension W

So right off the bat I have to say that the last episode -maybe even the last couple episodes- felt pretty rushed. I feel like this story had a lot more to say, but not enough time to do it. I would have loved to learn more about Dimension W itself, coils, the Numbers (Were there only five? Loser said he now had "all five of the Numbers," but I was under the impression that there were many more than that. Why else would they be labeled as high as 07, and some even higher?), and especially the coil Mira was given at the end. We see it react to Ellie/Loser when Loser dies, but we never get an explanation for that. All we know is that the Dr. told Mira to "Learn about people's emotions" (or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording.) I suppose it's also worth mentioning that as per usual in any anime with action and battles, my favorite character died. (RIP Loser. I thought you were going to make it, but apparently it wasn't meant to be.) The ending as a whole whole was pretty tropey and ambiguous, but I mostly attribute that to a lack of time. I feel like with more time and more episodes, things could have been a lot better. Still, it was an entertaining series to watch as a whole, probably a 6 or 7 in my book. It doesn't hold a candle to Darker Than Black, but I also never expected it to. DTB is something like 4th on my all-time favorite anime list, and Hei's probably my favorite anime character in general, so those are some higher standards for comparison if I'm the judge. That being said, I'd definitely watch a season two if it ever happened. I'm not really sure what the plot would be, as most things were wrapped up in season one, but I feel like there's just a lot of stuff about the world itself and coils that could be explained.

Grimgar

Once again, a series with action and battles where my favorite character died. (RIP Manato. You will forever be loved, and you somehow got to stay in the opening/ending and final portrait despite dying before the season was halfway done.) But anyway, I reeeeally enjoyed Grimgar. I learned about the anime adaptation about a year or two before it actually aired and had been planning on reading the LNs until I learned an anime was in the works, so I have to say, I've been excited for Grimgar for a while. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Grimgar accomplished something that pretty much never happens with me, by which I mean my two favorite characters were both clerics (Manato and Mary), which is usually one of my least favorite classes in any medium. Grimgar did a good job separating itself from the other "trapped in a fantasy world" anime in my opinion, taking a more realistic stance and how things would be. They had to fight just to survive in the beginning, as even getting food was a struggle. It felt like they were really from that world, rather than just being trapped there. I really like how slow the anime took things as well. I really hope it gets a season two because at this pace, there'll be a lot more Grimgar to watch. There were some noticeable animation issues though, especially in the last episode. There was a glaring continuity error involving Ranta's helmet and some other animation "shortcuts." The final fight with Death Spots is kind of weird. The animation was really low quality, but it was done in a way that left me questioning whether it was artistic or lazy. I feel like the producers were like, "We're running out of money, but this can pass for artistic merit based on the circumstances, so we'll leave it like this and nobody will know." Either way, it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully Grimgar sold well enough that a season two could polish up a little bit. Animation aside, I really liked the story and most of the characters. The setting is interesting, and I'd love to see what they encounter as they get stronger and how things progress. If the anime doesn't manage to get a second season, I'll definitely be reading the LNs for this one. All in all, I'd give it around an 8, maaaaybe a 9. It was really good.

I would say Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable, but you probably didn't see the other parts to it so I'll say to watch Boku No Hero Academia, Sakamoto desu ga, or Sousei no Onmyouji (I can't say if this is a good adaptation yet since it's only has had one episode).

I don't know what to watch this season except for Asterisk S2 ):

This has literally been my exact thought. Asterisk S1 wasn't great, but it was good enough to be entertaining, so I'm down for S2. Nothing else really looks very interesting though.

• Support Squad

I'm watchin'

-Re:Zero

-The Zombie "Kabane" thing. I legit find it creepy but I also get creeped out by the idea of infection. The zombies being stupidly hard to kill opposing the worldview CoD brought me up with doesn't help.

-Onmyouji. Mmmmmmm but you can see a lot of the same things the writer did in Binbougami ga. Funnily enough, the old lady who attends Benio is pretty much a total character design rip from a character in Binbougami ga. I want this to be good but they already introduced a cute mascotty character who, even if he gets dismissed real easy, is annoying for me. Momou is cuter. I'll also be constantly comparing the two shows liek I just did so it's like hnnnnng

-Boku no hero academia. I read ahead on the manga for a while so I know what's happening in this first cour at least. You'll really want to watch it. Think if Naruto and OP were like prototypes for this show and they used superheroes instead.

-Bungou stray dogs. The first episode was pretty dope. I do have a pretty pessimistic feeling about there being any kind of story payoff though. No basis for it, but it's there.

-O yeah and Kiznaiver. With the people behind TTGL and KLK behind this you gotta at least keep an eye on it for a while.

First Impressions:

• Jojo: DiU: As someone who has read the manga, I will be speaking of this from an adaptation standpoint, but I'm glad to see my favorite arc from the pre-AU arcs is doing it justice. They studios got the atmosphere down perfectly.
  • Mayoiga: Hmm....*tilts head* Lovepon best gril?
  • Re:Zero: As someone who has experienced Higurashi, Steins;Gate, and Madoka and Index NT09, I can see this getting real depressing really quickly. This kind of story can get really sadistic on the main character and I wonder where this will end up going. We're about to see the main character go through hell and that's all I can honestly say.
  • Sakamoto desu ga?: Over the top as hell. As expected from the source material. Plus, I'm glad to see Studio DEEN has done a pretty good job with this one.
  • Bungou Stray Dogs: Not much to say. We have a solid introduction and a fun cast of characters so far. Beyond that, can't say much else.
  • Kiznaiver: What Dobby said.
  • Flying Witch: This show is so damn refreshing. Really does feel like you're in the countryside with these characters as you watch them. Take a load off and just watch this one for a good series to relax to. (My favorite of the season so far)

My favorite ones so far are boku no hero academia, re: zero and joker game. Finally a non boring hero show, a non shit mmorpg fantasy anime and an actual (good) seinen. This season surprised me a lot, especially the latter two.

I'm also enjoying big order and mayoiga for how bad they are. This level of comedy is way higher than sakamoto. I legit can't help but laugh everytime they give the characters that edgy face with the eyes resized to 1 pixel. Executioner-chan best girl.

Also happened to check out bungo stray dogs, kiznaiver, attack on kabane and sousei no omnyouji. The first two I found to be decent, they're not bad but they're nothing special so far. Kabaneri I'm just watching for the lols, it's like playing a "find the difference(s)" type of game, a hard one too. As for sousei no omnyouji I liked the first episode, but the latest two were complete shit. The annoying useless pet and the tropes are so damn strong (rest in peace big tits childhood friend). I don't even know how good the manga is, but this show is looking like it's going to turn out really bad. Oh pierrot why must you be such a terrible studio.

Yea, Studio Pierrot ruined another one like usual. I would say read the manga if you really wanna see the difference as they took out alot of scenes and placed new ones that sucked. I still can't believe they actually put that little shit pet in the anime when it was never there in the manga I believe. Like why???

• Support Squad

See, one of the strengths of the manga writer that puts it above other action manga is the sheer amount of content. Like, I'm not claiming I read much manga but Binbougami ga and Sousei are the only ones I know to have 50~ pages per chapter, most everything else I've seen was like 20~ pages. So compared to a good chunk of action manga, Sousei's manga stands out for that, you know? Quantity over quality with enough quality to make it feel worth going through. A mediocre feast rather than a fine meal if you get me.

Obviously that won't translate well into anime because anime is simply paced differently. So it ends up feeling like less quality. A mediocre meal now.

As for the tropeyness, Binbougami ga had a lot of this too but the writer showed a capability to toy with these tropes on numerous occasions. Including later on into the series when it began transitioning into something much more similar to Sousei. I don't know if it'll get better, If Pierrot is just that bad then I'll be sad, but if you don't like the anime just check the manga.

The last episode really was just meh though. Like, really meh.

See, one of the strengths of the manga writer that puts it above other action manga is the sheer amount of content. Like, I'm not claiming I read much manga but Binbougami ga and Sousei are the only ones I know to have 50~ pages per chapter, most everything else I've seen was like 20~ pages. So compared to a good chunk of action manga, Sousei's manga stands out for that, you know? Quantity over quality with enough quality to make it feel worth going through. A mediocre feast rather than a fine meal if you get me.

Obviously that won't translate well into anime because anime is simply paced differently. So it ends up feeling like less quality. A mediocre meal now.

As for the tropeyness, Binbougami ga had a lot of this too but the writer showed a capability to toy with these tropes on numerous occasions. Including later on into the series when it began transitioning into something much more similar to Sousei. I don't know if it'll get better, If Pierrot is just that bad then I'll be sad, but if you don't like the anime just check the manga.

The last episode really was just meh though. Like, really meh.

What other action manga are you referring to? Because Sousei is released monthly. Most series with 18 pages per chapter are the ones released weekly. There's bound to be a difference in pages per chapter from that alone and that's not barring a wide variety of other factors. Just saying.

• Support Squad

aight part of me figured it was a monthly release. P much everything I read is online and typically finished, so I never see anything regularly released. My point still kinda stands in that you get what feels like more content at one moment when compared to something released piecemeal like bleach, naruto etc, other shounens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Support Squad

I mean Subaru was throwing up, which makes me think poison. If we assume the first reset in the mansion was caused by Subaru dying in his sleep by poison, or choking on his own vomit, we gotta figure it has to be Rem. I think Rem is actually the one who does everything, right? Including cooking.

Then there's the sounds of armour we heard clanking through the hallway. For that, I unno, a part of me thinks that's just like an enchanted piece of armour set to guard the house and kill intruders, which they saw Subaru as considering he was a new face. The maids might all have "forgotten" to make arrangements to prevent late night death. The fabulous guy, his name eludes me, is a real strong mage after all and has reason to zealously guard his property. Hell, he is constantly manipulating space just to protect his books, as well as having a guardian with them most of the time. He's also a bit of a creeper what with having his maids sit on his lap in the middle of the night and seeing his staff as his property.

For the change in routine, I think that was just Rem and Ram spiting him when he tried to push them along with that stuff rather than letting them get on with it.

It is interesting that Rem seems to have an inferiority complex. Maybe Ram is just the master's favourite and she gets shut out all the time.