What's your favorite breathtaking or "Wow" moment in a video game?

Grizzlybrand

There were many moments in Video games that really just floored you, where you had to stop and catch your breath because what you saw was THAT cool. Any good stories? My personal favorite was when I first started really getting into Fallout 3, I was walking around a corner and ran into a Super Mutant, this big angry green guy. I go into the V.A.T.S Mode (which is this super targeting mode that makes combat happen in slow time) and get the commands;

Head Shot

Reload

Head Shot

What followed was the smoothest transition I had ever seen, my character was right in front of the guy, and from the first person view pointed up and unloaded the first shot, blinding the super mutant. and while the big guy covered his eye and keeled backwards. While he was distracted my guy casually flicked open the revolver's chamber, reloaded, spun the chamber and flicked the chamber back into place before unloading the finishing cap in the big guy. It was like the first person executions for skyrim and it was completely unscripted, and one of the coolest thing my Lone Wanderer had done up to that point.

Though if we're going for music that just takes the breath away from the LoZ series, The Legendary Hero theme fills me with that nostalgia, specially since it tells the Story of Ocarina (or rather, another timeline at the end of Ocarina)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWCn6c7naSA

I'm pretty sure that the Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement is my favorite piece. Its given me so many chills

Edited by Skullgasher

• Administrators

Kamui in Okami.

I loved everything about that area, from the visuals to the tone it set up and the final dungeon was just, so amazing to me at the time (partly maybe because it was an escape from what I was dealing with at the time, but... details..). I only lamented that the boss of that area was as easy as it was. Even so, it was more than a lasting impression for me.

For me, I think most of Final Fantasy game series always catches me off-guard. I still remember back when I was still playing FFXII and entered boss area on 4-hours worth of exploration still unsaved, unprepared, and under-leveled. It feels like I am really fighting for my life and the suspense of losing 4 hours worth of perfect exploration and rare-item looting is really harsh. The music is dope and the battle was very vicious. With very much effort, luckily I won, but the feels are totally on whole other level. There's never been a greater joy for me than passing through a boss battle unprepared.

Final Fantasy 6 completely blew me away. Lockes story was something I was not expecting. Most of the games I played at that time didn't have that kind of dramatic tension. Plus having a 30 minute opera, a banging soundtrack overall, we'll developed characters (except maybe Mog, Umaru, and Gogo lel), and being nearly twice as long as I expected it to be was just a great experience.

Personally 4 Golden hit me hard on an emotional level though. It also has an amazing soundtrack.

there are some... the first however was this:

Final Fantasy VII

FFVII was my first real JRPG and I just wasn't prepared for what was coming... I played hours and hours, I beat boss after boss... end everything they talk about is how they have to take down down Shin-Ra...

then you climb your way up that giant tower of Sector 0 ... inflitrate their headquarters and battle your way up to their boss... only to find him dead already... with no idea what is actually happening just now, you make your escape... out of that giant city... just for your screen turn suddenly into a frickin' WORLD MAP!!

I was like "what the hell???" - I openend up the big view of the map to see it clearly and then I was like: "wait... I played XY hours of this game... and I only completed this tiny bit of the world... how could anyone finish a game that is soooooo huge???"

the sheer size of the world had me so overwhelmed... well it was my first JRPG after all... but it just got me hooked on the genre.

Number 2:

Breath of Fire 3

it was my second JRPG... I played a file together with a friend... which we had over 100 hours in before we challanged the final boss...

hell we had a sleepover at his place for beating that boss... It was the most intense boss-fight I ever had (to this day!!!)

- why was it so intense? - because it took us frickin' 4 hours to beat it... a 4 hour boss fight!!! without re-starts!!!!!!

that was like 20 years ago... there were no internet guides back then (and no fast internet in the first place)... we had no idea how to beat this boss, so we just threw everything we had at it... the characters died like a hundred times with us reviving them etc.

If we only knew back then how to transform into the Almighty CONTROLLABLE Kaiser-Dragon... (the uncontrollable version is partially to blame for these numerous character deaths)

Number 3:

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt

although my PC can't run it with steady 30 FPS... and I therefore have still not completed it (it just pains me to play with all those frame-drops... I really need a PC Upgrade...)

Even on low quality... in the tutorial when I walked around and out on the balcony... It was... like magic happening...

This game just looks so awesome... I just stood there, thinking where I could go to... where the boundaries were.

Number 4:

Tales of Eternia (PSP)

beating the optional Boss "Sekundes" the elemental of Time... yeah fluff him!

that guy is a monster that is only beatable with a certain trick

that guy has extremely high offense and defense and an enormous HP-pool like 2 million or something... meaning he easily kills you, while taking very little damage... and he is immune to staggering.

once you manage to bring him to to 50% health you have to cast a certain spell that only one certain character can learn - it's a Holy/Lighting combo called "Indignation".

When you successfully cast the spell on him when he is at 50% or below a special quote will play and instant kill him.

It was nerve-wrecking to fight him over and over and over again... but on the other hand I love it when games do stuff like this

Honestly for me, and this might seem cliche (then again this was when the first game came out) but the scene where you see the Castalia bridge in b/w is breathtaking. From the polished look of Hg/ss (at the time) the scene topped that! At first, I was like, 'can a Pokemon game do that' but I was pleasantly supposed by that scene :P

(like I said, cliche)

True Pacifist ending in Undertale without a doubt. I know many people who have cried at the ending, and while I wasn't one of them, I've never felt so attached to characters in games before, and I definitely felt something that's left a lasting impression.

Not to mention just how completely wonderful every song in Undertale is, it's probably my favorite soundtrack from any recent game. Also probably my game of the year, but that's for another time.

The first time I played Planet side 2 I was completely lost for words. I had heard from some friends it was big but I had never expected to see on my first time joining a small army of tanks lined along the top of a valley firing into a nearby by outpost while a massive fight raged underneath. The sheer scale was enough to leave me speechless to see so many people in one place in one battle the closest thing I had seen was play Star Wars Battlefront 1 on my Xbox. The vibrant and alive atmosphere from that battle is how I have judged large scale PVP since.

Without a doubt, it has got to be the evil ending to Infamous 2. At the time, I was just so into everything about that game; the characters, the story, the game play, and so on. And so, when

Cole is basically choosing his powers over his best friend Zeke by killing him,

I got a bit misty-eyed. What's even worse is that the developers MAKE you do it, so there's no choice involved there. I was waiting forever for something else to happen, but it never did I just ended up having to finish the job. :(

Mine would have to be at the end of Okami when the prayers of the entire world Amaterasu and gives her her full power gave me chills. Then the music started. That part never gets old for me.

Also, pretty much anything involving Undertale. That game impacted me so much. My friends on there are better than my friends in real life.