Skeleton

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody explain to me the gist of the appeal to this game? I keep hearing about it over and over, but I don't really know anything about it. The art style is so old that it bugs even me to look at (And I love old 8-bit stuff like the original LoZ and Megaman. Is it just really funny? I don't mean to sound cynical, because I know that this sounds like I'm shooting the game down when I read this post back to myself, but I assure you I'm not. I'm just curious about what makes it so good, so I know whether it'd be a good idea to play it or not.

Can somebody explain to me the gist of the appeal to this game? I keep hearing about it over and over, but I don't really know anything about it. The art style is so old that it bugs even me to look at (And I love old 8-bit stuff like the original LoZ and Megaman. Is it just really funny? I don't mean to sound cynical, because I know that this sounds like I'm shooting the game down when I read this post back to myself, but I assure you I'm not. I'm just curious about what makes it so good, so I know whether it'd be a good idea to play it or not.

I feel like the games game play isn't the central point of it. I absolutely loved Undertale, and can say it's probably one of my favorite games (along with Okami, The Last Story, and World of Goo) and feel like most of the praise is deserved. The games central focus, is not the mini games, the bullet hecks, or even the goal, but the characters. You will love the characters you meet, and in a way, they will love you back. The plot is solid, the music is great, and it was mostly made by one guy. Some of the things you see are terrifying, some parts are so cheeky you will laugh out loud, and some of the things you'll see will make you sob. While I wasn't a fan of the graphics at first, they certainly grew on me, plus, your choices actually matter in this game, unlike the Walking Dead Season Two. If you play as a good person, the feels hit you hard, and if you play as a murderer...

Your going to have a bad time...

So in short, buy it. It's only ten dollars.

Edited by Combat Medic

yep.

the characters remember/notice when you reset.

apparently there's a LOT more like the Toriel bit. especially when you reset if your boss fight didn't go the right way.

yeah, the game does it a lot. The intro bit with Flowey,reloading and killing some bosses like Sans multiple times...this is also the only way to get into Sans room

I mean, with this kinda game, it's hard to get a taste for it if you don't wanna be spoiled. why not pirate it to try it? If you end up liking the game, yiu can pay for it then or something.

Also, does anyone know anything about

Glyde? Is there any significance to Glyde or is that just a thing that exost just for the hell of it?

Also, does anyone know anything about

Glyde? Is there any significance to Glyde or is that just a thing that exost just for the hell of it?

I want to say he/she is there as a possible Easter egg, as people who encounter it might me trying to figure out how to open the mysterious door? My other guess is that it is a kick starter backer/was designed by a guess director, like So Sorry or Muffet.

"beware of the man that speaks in hands."

it's speculated that river person is referring to W.D. Gaster, but idk i think it's more befitting for the player.

us.

when we play the game, we don't really talk, that's the characters in the game's job, we just control Frisk with the keyboard, with our hands.

maybe river person is warning Frisk about us, telling them to beware when they're under "the man that speaks in hands' " control. possibly hinting at a no-mercy playthrough,...but it's debatable on whether or not it was us or Chara controlling Frisk in Genocide. cos it didnt FEEL like i was in control ok.

just a shower thought~

After seeing the later bosses, I am now prepared. Killed Toriel and fought but spared papyrus. And hunted everything before toriel.

IMO, this REALLY isn't the type of game where you should be looking anything up, since almost every boss in the game is a spoiler in itself, but whatever. Also, doing that's just gonna get you one of the 10-ish neutral endings, which are all, as the name says, neutral. They're not gonna be anything all that impressive. Either spare everything or kill everything would be my advice to you.

I can say that most of the Neutral endings are kind of lack luster. Just going for a pacifist or genocide ending would be what I would say would be a better use of ones time, but by all means, feel free to try to collect them all.

Also, even though I said you should do a genocide ending, don't. Your going to have a bad time. That, and the game will remember what you have done, and will punish you accordingly.

Just found out something about the Tem Shop. You know that, if you refuse to sell something, she ups the price. Refuse again, and Tem says, with perfect grammar "You will regret this" (and a variation of that after college). If you then encounter a Temmie enemy, any attack is an instant kill.

Also, everyone knows about the snowman piece. If you take it, leave the screen and eat the piece, the snowman gives you another. But if you eat it in front of the snowman, he'll be so horrified, he'll refuse to give you another piece. And when you're doing the victory lap of a True Pacifist run, he talks about how everyone thinks you're oh-so-great, but he knows the truth about you and that you're as cold as his butt.

What the hell is Undertale?? looks scary ;-;

Undertale is only a scary game if you make it scary. Most of the characters are lovable, and there aren't any really spooky parts in it. Just really, really sad parts that hit you in the feels.

unless of course you choose to have a bad time...

Except for the neutral end boss, that thing is freaky creepy.

Edited by Combat Medic

I knew it was coming. I thought "you know, after getting the neutral and pacifist true endings that maybe finishing it off with the genocide ending wouldn't be so bad."

and then this part

oSdGhV6.png

I expected this line of dialogue to come up but god DAMN was that a lot more ominous than i expected, with the slowed down music making things eerie as it is. I am not ready to have a bad time.

Undertale is a great game. I did a genocide run because I had watched a true pacifist run, and goodness did it leave me drained. You don't feel like you're failing to be a hero in most games with a morality system in Undertale, you feel like you're successfully being an angel of death, and it doesn't feel nice.

Deleted and reinstalled the game afterwards, so I may do a true pacifist run of the game and never touch it again afterwards.

I don't think I could ever do a genocide run. It just feels, dirty. Maybe I'm just over sentimental, but the thought of killing most of the denizens of the underground feels wrong.

Except Jerry. I wouldn't feel bad about killing him.

For those who have attempted a genocide run, know this.

Your sins will never truly be gone...