[OOC/Sign-Ups] Flight of the Tree of Knowledge--A ToAru-Verse RP

Hiss13

Oi, Nugget type person, hi. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're new to RPing and try to give you some help with stuff

Firstly, 90% of roleplaying done on this site is done in third person. If you've been through third grade then I'm sure you know what third person means so I won't demean you by trying to explain it ^_^

Part of the reason for this is to prevent confusion with everyone referring to themselves the same way. Another reason is because first person can push the character too close to the

Next, when editing a sheet, instead of just adding on to the end, delete the older stuff. This looks much neater and helps prevent clutter. However, don't delete old info before you finish revising it, since that can just make you forget things

Try filling out your personality and appearance sections better. You don't have to give every detail, but try to give at least a full paragraph for each

Backstory refers to the general story of your character's life. What you've written is what's known as an introductory post. Very few RPs on this site utilize introductory posts as a way to determine whether or not to accept a new character, if any. Instead of writing out individual actions, try to get an overview of your character's entire life

Your writing has next to zero punctuation whatsoever. Without at least some semblance of proper punctuation it's going to be next to impossible to read, which is going to make it literally impossible to roleplay with you. Good writing is key to good roleplaying

And, as Murdoc said, try reading through the other player's sheets and mimicking how they wrote their characters

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm... I'll just say that you should take a look at the existing profiles and reconsider pretty much all of yours.

Oi, Nugget type person, hi. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're new to RPing and try to give you some help with stuff

Firstly, 90% of roleplaying done on this site is done in third person. If you've been through third grade then I'm sure you know what third person means so I won't demean you by trying to explain it ^_^

Part of the reason for this is to prevent confusion with everyone referring to themselves the same way. Another reason is because first person can push the character too close to the

Next, when editing a sheet, instead of just adding on to the end, delete the older stuff. This looks much neater and helps prevent clutter. However, don't delete old info before you finish revising it, since that can just make you forget things

Try filling out your personality and appearance sections better. You don't have to give every detail, but try to give at least a full paragraph for each

Backstory refers to the general story of your character's life. What you've written is what's known as an introductory post. Very few RPs on this site utilize introductory posts as a way to determine whether or not to accept a new character, if any. Instead of writing out individual actions, try to get an overview of your character's entire life

Your writing has next to zero punctuation whatsoever. Without at least some semblance of proper punctuation it's going to be next to impossible to read, which is going to make it literally impossible to roleplay with you. Good writing is key to good roleplaying

And, as Murdoc said, try reading through the other player's sheets and mimicking how they wrote their characters

Yeah, basically everything that these two said ((As Alexus pretty much addressed all that needs to be addressed at the moment))

And feel free to take a look around at the various other RPs here as well to get a general idea for how things run and what She's talking about. If you need it, any of the three of us can easily answer any questions about role-playing you might have.

"too close to the"

Lexi, finish your sentences, please

And yes, feel free to Pm me with multitude of questions if you need to. I'm a relatively experienced RPer at this point so I should be able to give you some idea of a useful answer ^_^

@Lexi

My only problem with your profile is the *somehow slipping through the cracks* part of your backstory...seems a bit vague...

Well, I'll let it slide unless you feel like expanding it. (Of course, it can always be expanded during the RP itself.)

As for the ability, the concept is fine overall. But, I would like to ask for some details (only so that the System Scan named Hiss13 can give your character's ability a level).

1) Is the force continuous? In other words, is it a single burst or is it something she can hold and if its the latter, how long can she hold it?

2) Is the acceleration and max of an object's propulsion variable with size or is it constant. Also, what would the max speed be in the latter case if that is the case.

3) How strong must the surface she's exerting the force against be for a non-negligible reaction force to push against her?

@Strat: Let me know when you finish your character's backstory. Thanks to the hard drive issue, you have plenty of time.

@WildChalice: Yeah, the age range is on the OP. Let me know when you have your character's profile up.

@Nugget: Murdoc, Strat, and Lexi covered it far better than I could... :P

@Murdoc: I just realized that your character is going to loathe Kihara Kenbi...this is going to be fun. Heh...

Plus, there is a character I absolutely want your character to meet seeing as your character was confined in the Reformatory at some point.

@Strat: Let me know when you finish your character's backstory. Thanks to the hard drive issue, you have plenty of time.

Will do. Don't be surprised if the Appearance and Personality end up being tweaked or changed a bit as well... I've thought long and hard last night about a few things...

Pretty much the only thing that is likely to remain untouched is the power (Cause it was enough of a bitch to make the first time around. Plus, I've figured out a few techniques to make it rather handy...) and maybe the skills.

Edit: Oh dear god...it's starting to come together...

Onward, men! Onward I say! We have the upper haaaand!

1. It's a single burst, but it's a long burst if that makes sense. So, like, when it's activated it will push everything away, and it will keep pushing those things away for a certain period (although the only thing really effected by this would be the ground), probably something like four seconds, but new things entering the range won't be pushed away without another activation

2. It's constant, everything goes away at the same speed. I didn't exactly have a specific speed in mind, but it's probably something akin to a bullet from a pistol. EDIT: 270 m/s (it goes very fast) Oh, and note that the larger the surface area, the faster it's going to slow down once it exits her range. So say, a bullet, will continue to travel at bullet speeds. But her chestpiece will probably slow to much more mundane speeds within a matter of milliseconds. So like it it hits someone's head inside the field, it's probably going to smash their skull. But if it hits their head one meter outside the field it'll just knock them out... I think, I didn't do the math for that

3. ...Sigh, okay, lemme go come up with an exact speed so I can calculate the force she exerts so I can calculate the amount of counter-force needed. Gimme twenty minutes EDIT: Okay, not twenty minutes, forgot surface area would effect it. EDIT 2: owait, I'm a scrub, I just gotta find an objects inertia. EDIT 3: Okay, it's too early in the morning for me to give you actual numbers, but lemme at least explain all the stuff I need to sort out. Basically I just need to figure out how much mass (and possibly surface area) she's using her ability on, then I need to sort out how you tell if a certain amount of mass is enough to not move when an ambiguous force tries to propel it to 270 m/s

Also note that this is a threshold. So anything below this amount of mass, her ability will always set its velocity to 270 m/s away from her. there's also a second threshold farther out where the surface she's above won't be effected at all, but I won't even know where to start on that until I finish figuring out this one

You know it would have been a lot easier if you'd just let me say "it depends" so I could have her levitate on concrete floors but smash through wooden ones or whatever. Instead of having to figure out how much mass the ground has every time she uses her ability

On, and fun fact, all of these things mean a bullet moving at 270 m/s will slow to almost a complete stop if it's in the effected area when she activates her ability

Also, I'm a scrub, it's supposed to be a two meter diameter. meaning it's actually a one meter radius from her center of mass

@WildChalice: Yeah, the age range is on the OP. Let me know when you have your character's profile up.

That wasn't me asking. It was nugget. Just to clarify. Mainly working on the ability atm.

The ability I'm trying to work out would be a sort of fusion of Teleport (Telekinesis?) + Clairvoyance. She'd be able to 'fly' for short periods and snipe targets from afar.

But as I'm a clueless newbie who knows nothing, I'm spending a lot of time on the wiki trying to figure out the 'basic' stuff.

So I'll take advice (and criticism) on making the ability workable but not OP broken. So... feel free to chime in. (Prays that I don't start a firestorm...)

That wasn't me asking. It was nugget. Just to clarify. Mainly working on the ability atm.

The ability I'm trying to work out would be a sort of fusion of Teleport (Telekinesis?) + Clairvoyance. She'd be able to 'fly' for short periods and snipe targets from afar.

But as I'm a clueless newbie who knows nothing, I'm spending a lot of time on the wiki trying to figure out the 'basic' stuff.

So I'll take advice (and criticism) on making the ability workable but not OP broken. So... feel free to chime in. (Prays that I don't start a firestorm...)

Yes, I pray so as well... having had to put down the beginnings of a potential one not long ago...

Anyway... like lexi said earlier, before my... wizardly rage against the scientific machine began:

Just keep in mind that for ToAru things simplicity is almost always better than something complicated. If you find yourself having to add a lot of specific rules to keep it balanced, it's probably not going to work very well. Plus the more complex it is the more likely you are to break physics.

Pretty much this. Keep it simple overall- find a single law of physic/ closely related sets of laws, like the three of us have- Murdoc for Light/ Optics and reflectivity, Lexi for... I guess Kinetic Motion... and myself for Sound and Vibrations (And yes, I said Vibrations... cause technically, that's what causes sound). Keep it isolated to a single thing or things that go hand in hand/ are subsets of one another, but avoid trying to make a power that functions off two completely unrelated laws... cause it won't make sense.
after you;ve found the law to base the function off of, get an idea for how the ability can exploit said law or slightly bend it,
then profit...
lols, no. Just kidding, no profits for you. What you really do, is go and do a shit ton of research to make sure that the idea you have would actually be plausible and doesn't break space and time and all of heavenly creation and whatnot.
As for balance, just keep it simple and it should fall into place rather easily as a result of not being overly convoluted...
As for the deeper stuff about what you propose though, I believe I'll have to leave any specific critique or pointers to the more versed folks here who actually know something about the laws of the universe and whatnot... given I'm merely an Esoteric and Occult Dabbler who is quite literally out of his element here.

I had originally planned it as a modify gravity's affect. But air pressure also came to mind hence my dilemma. (Though I failed to say that... damn morning brain failure.)

EDIT: I think I'll go the air pressure route first. Gravity hurts my brain atm.

Edited by WildChalice

1. It's a single burst, but it's a long burst if that makes sense. So, like, when it's activated it will push everything away, and it will keep pushing those things away for a certain period (although the only thing really effected by this would be the ground), probably something like four seconds, but new things entering the range won't be pushed away without another activation

So, there's the initial push and which continues for 4 seconds max. But, if anything enters the range after the initial push, then it won't be pushed away.

2. It's constant, everything goes away at the same speed. I didn't exactly have a specific speed in mind, but it's probably something akin to a bullet from a pistol. EDIT: 270 m/s (it goes very fast) Oh, and note that the larger the surface area, the faster it's going to slow down once it exits her range. So say, a bullet, will continue to travel at bullet speeds. But her chestpiece will probably slow to much more mundane speeds within a matter of milliseconds. So like it it hits someone's head inside the field, it's probably going to smash their skull. But if it hits their head one meter outside the field it'll just knock them out... I think, I didn't do the math for that

So, 270 m/s within the 1 meter range and slows down outside said range?

And objects with larger surface area, the faster it decelerates outside of the 1 meter range (which makes sense due to how drag forces work)?

3. ...Sigh, okay, lemme go come up with an exact speed so I can calculate the force she exerts so I can calculate the amount of counter-force needed. Gimme twenty minutes EDIT: Okay, not twenty minutes, forgot surface area would effect it. EDIT 2: owait, I'm a scrub, I just gotta find an objects inertia. EDIT 3: Okay, it's too early in the morning for me to give you actual numbers, but lemme at least explain all the stuff I need to sort out. Basically I just need to figure out how much mass (and possibly surface area) she's using her ability on, then I need to sort out how you tell if a certain amount of mass is enough to not move when an ambiguous force tries to propel it to 270 m/s

Also note that this is a threshold. So anything below this amount of mass, her ability will always set its velocity to 270 m/s away from her. there's also a second threshold farther out where the surface she's above won't be effected at all, but I won't even know where to start on that until I finish figuring out this one

You know it would have been a lot easier if you'd just let me say "it depends" so I could have her levitate on concrete floors but smash through wooden ones or whatever. Instead of having to figure out how much mass the ground has every time she uses her ability

On, and fun fact, all of these things mean a bullet moving at 270 m/s will slow to almost a complete stop if it's in the effected area when she activates her ability

Also, I'm a scrub, it's supposed to be a two meter diameter. meaning it's actually a one meter radius from her center of mass

Okay, so everything up to that second to last paragraph was fine. So, it's a momentum alteration moreso than it is a force alteration, then, right?

As for floors...well, seeing as it's AC, it's highly unlikely that you will have wooden floors to break into. In the end, unless you're in certain locations, then the floors will be strong enough to prevent fracture. Basically, you're really unlikely to exert onto something to the point where it hits failure strain.

My bad. I mixed you two up.

As for that...well, that kinda breaks the whole Dual Skill rule. But if you want to focus on flight, an air flow manipulation ability works best.

As for the deeper stuff about what you propose though, I believe I'll have to leave any specific critique or pointers to the more versed folks here who actually know something about the laws of the universe and whatnot... given I'm merely an Esoteric and Occult Dabbler who is quite literally out of his element here.

Hmm...maybe I should do a magic side RP when this is done. Though, that would require me to get a lot better at scrutinizing abilities as magic is really tough to work with and involves a lot of work in getting all of the symbolism right and what not.

Well, that's something I'll shelve for later.

Edited by Hiss13

Hmm...maybe I should do a magic side RP when this is done. Though, that would require me to get a lot better at scrutinizing abilities as magic is really tough to work with and involves a lot of work in getting all of the symbolism right and what not.

Well, that's something I'll shelve for later.

and Ironically, I'd have more than enough background knowledge to do that far more easily than Science side... plus, with the magic side, the possibilities for abilities a magician can have is arguably far more varied- simply because of how many different esoteric disciplines there exists in the real world and the amount of symbolism literally everywhere...plus there are no shortage of occult websites out there that can explain it all in laymen's terms...on top of the wiki articles too.

But I digress- I'm nearly done with Makoto's Profile. I'm still working on the backstory, but everything else is more or less finsihed, and it's coming along rather far and I should have it fleshed out enough to insert it soon.

So, there's the initial push and which continues for 4 seconds max. But, if anything enters the range after the initial push, then it won't be pushed away.

So, 270 m/s within the 1 meter range and slows down outside said range?

And objects with larger surface area, the faster it decelerates outside of the 1 meter range (which makes sense due to how drag forces work)?

Okay, so everything up to that second to last paragraph was fine. So, it's a momentum alteration moreso than it is a force alteration, then, right?

As for floors...well, seeing as it's AC, it's highly unlikely that you will have wooden floors to break into. In the end, unless you're in certain locations, then the floors will be strong enough to prevent fracture. Basically, you're really unlikely to exert onto something to the point where it hits failure strain.

Yes

Yes

Yes and no. It's not momentum, it's velocity (I mean, they're related, but the variable she's directly effecting is velocity) As it says in the original description, it sets the velocity to "fast" (AKA 270m/s) on a vector directly away from her

And yeah, I know, I don't plan on her crashing through many floors. In general I just expect her to dent them slightly. But you went and asked me to be more specific than I had been when I wrote it (what I wrote is literally a fancy way of saying "it depends") which means I needa find numbers to be certain ;n;

Yes

Yes

Yes and no. It's not momentum, it's velocity (I mean, they're related, but the variable she's directly effecting is velocity) As it says in the original description, it sets the velocity to "fast" (AKA 270m/s) on a vector directly away from her

And yeah, I know, I don't plan on her crashing through many floors. In general I just expect her to dent them slightly. But you went and asked me to be more specific than I had been when I wrote it (what I wrote is literally a fancy way of saying "it depends") which means I needa find numbers to be certain ;n;

Alright. Level 4 Effervescent Thrust-Fukui Kiyoko approved.

On another note, I come with wonderful news. My hard drive was not the issue! My dear old HDD is working wonderfully like the trooper it is. In other words, everything will proceed as planned and I have lost no files. Hoorah~

So, after a shit ton of work and dead ends and reworking, I've finally finished Makoto's profile.

And as for the ability, again I've discussed it at length with hiss, and this time I know with absolute certainty that everything about it is physically possible given there are modern day military technologies that have been researched and deployed using the same basic principles, as well as tech existing with the canon To Aru verse. So none of ya'll should have any reasons whatsoever to go throwing monkey wrenches into the works this time.

anyway, Hiss, you will find it in Post #41, on page 3 of this thread.

So, after a shit ton of work and dead ends and reworking, I've finally finished Makoto's profile.

And as for the ability, again I've discussed it at length with hiss, and this time I know with absolute certainty that everything about it is physically possible given there are modern day military technologies that have been researched and deployed using the same basic principles, as well as tech existing with the canon To Aru verse. So none of ya'll should have any reasons whatsoever to go throwing monkey wrenches into the works this time.

anyway, Hiss, you will find it in Post #41, on page 3 of this thread.

Alright.

Komuri Makoto-Level 4 Howling Dirge

Approved.

Now, then…I should probably contact WildChalice to see if she's still interested but she hasn't been on for a few days so I'm not sure what to do…

Alright.

Komuri Makoto-Level 4 Howling Dirge

Approved.

Now, then…I should probably contact WildChalice to see if she's still interested but she hasn't been on for a few days so I'm not sure what to do…

well, She said last night in Ymora's OOC that she's been more or less out of commission fighting Tonsillitis for the past few days, so... that probably explains it.

well, She said last night in Ymora's OOC that she's been more or less out of commission fighting Tonsillitis for the past few days, so... that probably explains it.

Yeah. So it seems. Alright. I'll wait a bit before contacting her.

In the meantime, I'll start writing up the first IC Post.

Excuse the Double Post but the OP for the IC is complete. I just have to want on a response from WildChalice and if she's interested, I have to wait on the character profile.

Once that's all figured out, I'll have the IC up shortly after.

Sorry. I have an OP ready. I'm just waiting on WildChalice to make her profile. She said she's still interested. Though she did say she's okay if we start without her. So, if she hasn't contacted me or put up a profile for approval by tomorrow, I'll start the IC without her tomorrow and work her in midway when she does finish her profile.

Edited by Hiss13

• 1 month later...

So yeah, something occured to me recently that I probably should've done from the start, but I didn't think of it, so... better late than never.

Anyway, I'm gonna start switching up the pronouns I use for Makoto depending on the pitch of voice they're using and how they're intending to portray themselves in that particular scene. So basically, when their explicitly using a more feminine voice to pass themself off as female ((Which is rather easy given their appearance and the fact that 'Makoto' is technically a gender neutral name... and the fact that they already get mistaken for one quite a bit anyway and have for pretty much their entire life...)), I'll swap over to using 'She' and the like. When he's explicitly using a masculine voice, it'll be vica-versa.

Most of the time when they aren't trying to pass off as either though, I'll probably be using the singular 'They', their, them, etc for the sake of simplicity, since their natural pitch is more in a neutral territory where it's hard to discern as either explicitly masculine or femine, and the fact that Makoto has honestly stopped really caring what people refer to them as.

EDIT: after going back through my previous IC posts and replacing the pronouns though...I can honestly see why many people have begun favoring the use of 'Xe/Ze' the like over the singular 'They'... sounds less redundant, works better with grammar agreements too... anyways though, that's kinda besides the overall point of the matter...