How do YOU deal with procrastination?

SgtNoobly

Here's the problem I have: I'm too lazy to "deal with" my procrastination. However, I do have incentive to do well. If I don't do my homework, I won't get into college; if I don't do my chores, I will get yelled at.

I'm quite good at knowing how long it will take me to handle any task I'm familiar with, so I'll usually put it off until I know I have to start it to finish on time. It also helps that I'm capable of producing high quality work quickly, and that I work best under pressure.

On a task that I'm unfamiliar with, I will get it done as soon as possible, so that I can know how long a task takes me to finish, and how much time I'll need for a similar task of a larger/smaller scale.

The downside is, when there isn't pressure of a time limit on me and I know what I'm doing, I am usually very unmotivated and will often produce work that I'm less than pleased with. So it's a blessing and a curse.

Edited by Mighty Kamina

think about how it'll affect me. like let's say i'm rping with a friend and i'm supposed to reply next. procrastination comes in and the next thing i know, im binge re-watching attack on titan instead of working on the reply. as i wait for the next episode to load, i say to myself "bitch they gon be so mad u better work on that reply" "shit thats actually true...they wont trust me anymore-"

orrrrr something like that

hah, "deal with". i'm literally posting this as i procrastinate on my psychology essay.

on a more legitimate note, i'm pretty sure it takes intense willpower and an enforcement of good habits to overcome procrastination, neither of which i've mastered yet.

• Administrators

Or just tricking yourself into starting.

Time-boxing is one of my favorite things in that regard. Basically I set a small widow of time- like, ten minutes. And I tell myself "okay, I really don't feel like it, but I'm gonna work on X for ten minutes. And that's all."

But what tends to happen is once I'm started I suddenly don't mind doing it so much. So suddenly oops I worked on it an hour and it's done. Wow cool wow.

Time-boxing is one of my favorite things in that regard. Basically I set a small widow of time- like, ten minutes. And I tell myself "okay, I really don't feel like it, but I'm gonna work on X for ten minutes. And that's all."

But what tends to happen is once I'm started I suddenly don't mind doing it so much. So suddenly oops I worked on it an hour and it's done. Wow cool wow.

Hey same!

*Works on pokémon X for ten minutes*

*Finishes game*

I really don't deal with it that well personally lol. However, it's mostly a question of motivation and getting yourself to do it. The thing Ame put up there is veeeeery true and a super good tool. A lot of Motivation comes from Momentum. It's easier to work when you are doing it, so starting for the ten minutes make you start and once you start it gets easier from there for sure. It's easier to push once you start pushing lol. The most effort is needed to start it up, once you get going it gets easier and easier to maintain this momentum and keep going until it becomes nearly effortless to some degree. That's at least what I believe since it's true for me... I don't know about everyone else since people all work very differently and things effect them different etc....

One trick I've found lately is when you think 'I'll start at blah time that will be enough to get it done, just hope I don't finish too soon....., or I could start now and have one full block of time free wuthkut splitting it up or perhaod run out of time, if I start now and not have this work interrupty leisure time later.'

:o Cool trick