No psychic types. Not having fun w/ Kiki. Help!

Caraboo

My team as is is below. I've always had a few issues with Gym leaders in the past, but with Otachi not being able to evolve for another 10 levels, her HP and stats in general leave much to be desired right now. I got lucky, and close, once, when Hitmonchan failed at using High-Jump-Kick twice in a row and KO'd itself, but the Medicham took the rest of my team out. Ever since that, the Machamp pretty much wipes my team after using Payback and I barely get past it.

Most of my team is at level 40, or 38/39. Should I got for another grinding session? Get all of them to level 43/42? Or should I just try something else entirely?

Here are their movesets if anyone has anything to reccomend I try out;

Cassius, Serperior, LV 37: Slam, Mega Drain, Leaf Tornado, Leaf Blade

Otachi, Noibat, LV 39: Razor Wind, Tailwind, Air Cutter, Wing Attack

Ascher, Camerupt, LV 42: Take Down, Earth Power, Lava Plume, Rock Slide

Coyotl, Manectric, LV 43: Bite, Discharge, Charge Beam, Ice Fang

Unner, Floatzel, LV 39: Pursuit, Swift, Aqua Jet, Fury Cutter

Edited by Caraboo

You could actually use Swanna (make sure you can get a kill, it's kinda frail) or Azumarill (it's kinda rare, coz it's from the Mystery Egg).

Otherwise, use a flying pokemon that has keen eye and spam flying moves that reduce the accuracy of the opponent.

For Medicham, I'd suggest you kill it as fast as you can or use a pokemon with dig, bounce, etc. so that it's HJK will miss and it will hurt itself.

So its worth going back to catch a Ducklett and raising it all the way up to its 40s? I was excited to get a Noibat early on but oooh she just isn't keeping up well due to evolving late.

I've pretty much stuck to this one team the whole game, and the only 'mon I want left is Zangoose which hasn't decided to appear in Lapis yet.

I can't wait for her to evolve already. XD

Mm, I think I might go back and grab that Gothitha then, since that seems to be the closest level option. Grind it for a while around Beryl and then some of the remaining fighting type trainers out there. I almost grabbed Fennekin as a starter, now I'm sort of wishing I did.

a. Write the species names. The helm are Cassius and Unner? :P

b. A horribly hard counter to that monster named Medicham are Cofagrigus and Gourgeist. Grab one when desperation calls. Actually grab Gourgeist, it can be a better wall and a better bulky attacker. It deals with Gallade better as well.

c. I prefer Meowstic over Gothitelle for that fight. No matter how tanky, Gothitelle will get worn out from faster hits.

d. Psychic deals with Machamp, Psyshock with Hitmonlee, any psychic attack with Toxicroak.

e. Learn to enjoy Medicham in action.

f. Did you grab the mystery egg in Jasper?

A: Whoops, yes, I should have. Fixed now.

B: I can get Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist after getting Gothitha, right? (Because I actually got sidetracked and got Solrock and FINALLY got my Zangoose)

F: No, I did not. I was losely following the guide back then to save the police officers, but I didn't notice anything about a mystery egg in my skimming! I should go take a look, I suppose.

Purdy much any good bulky fairy will do against her. Granbull would be amazing.

I'll second that Granbull mention. If it doesn't do all the work, it should clear enough for the rest of your team to do it.

If you have the time though, I'm pretty sure Zubat is available in Azurine Island at night only, so you could try a Golbat/Crobat depending on your how much time you're willing to waste~

I'll second that Granbull mention. If it doesn't do all the work, it should clear enough for the rest of your team to do it.

If you have the time though, I'm pretty sure Zubat is available in Azurine Island at night only, so you could try a Golbat/Crobat depending on your how much time you're willing to waste~

I don't think you go to Azurine island until after Kiki. Ame got rid of Crobat before Kiki didn't she?

I don't think you go to Azurine island until after Kiki. Ame got rid of Crobat before Kiki didn't she?

Is it only after? Maybe that's why there are Zubats in Azurine Island now then.

I'll just go ahead and keep the Granbull mention anyway. But if you can go to Azurine before Kiki, you can get a Zubat.

If not, gg wp git rekt

But Granbull though.

The two things that stand out in this team that simply cannot hold up would be Floatzel and Noibat. I would grind Noibat up to level 48 or whatever it may be to evolve it and then feed it common candies to level it down to around 43 or 44 as it is very much dead weight unevolved :<. Floatzel of course boast great speed but at that point has such a shallow movepool that it's going to get torn apart before getting any kills, if I recall correctly the mystery egg has a fair amount of decent water types so you may get lucky, otherwise though I would recommend getting a Crawdaunt and Granbull, Crawdaunt is a solid upgrade for a water type and grants knock off support (You would probably want to grab this after beating Kiki) and good power while Granbull has decent power and intimidate support which you are really going to want around that point in the game.

Some of your pokemon need a lot more grinding.

One option you could try in order to abuse RNG is to make sure serperior has contrary and spam leaf tornado against hitmonlee and medicham who will lose accuracy from the field effect, while you gain it due to contrary.

A very quick fix for some of kiki's team would be Sawk, who has counter and can abuse sturdy + counter to KO at least one of her pokemon. Also good for her lucario depending on speed.

Seconding what someone above said. Pick up a Granbull. My Slam 'N Jam did some good work in my fight with Kiki. It also has intimidate, which can help with the right switch-in. You wanna be careful with it, because her Pokemon will almost certainly have a move to counter it.

A ghost type might not hurt, but since her Pokemon will almost certainly have Dark type moves (I forget her exact team, it's been a while since I fought her), then you might also wanna be careful there. Maybe something with bulk. I used a Dusclops with Will O' wisp to lower physical attack. That + hex might not be bad.

My Seperior actually has contrary, but the field doesn't seem to count it, I noticed. I tried that strategy, but his acuracy lowered anyways?

I do like my Floatzel but I agree, the moveset isn't exactly wonderful right now. I just really needed a water type at that point, and Buizel was the best thing. Its definitely worth replacing? Because I haven't finished the Daycare event at all, so I don't have a means to get a Growlithe egg asap. I was honestly thinking about going for that Lapras you can get later on in the game, but I don't know how much later that IS right now.

So... If I got Noibat to level 48, then lowered her level, she would keep the evolution? Huh. But won't she not listen to me at that point?

Though, as I was getting ready to head to bed and work out what I would do better tomorrow, I gave Kiki one last try, and I actually beat her with this team. Mostly due to my Manectric and a SP. Attack boosted Discharge after a few Charge Beams, but... Yay. So I beat her and have now gotten to the point of Aya, whom I think I can get past after a grinding session.

Edited by Caraboo

I have never used Psychic-types in this battle, and I have 3 Reborn save files, one for each type of starter and character. In my first save file I just swept through her team with my Typhlosion -Eruption is super powerful! Fyi Nature Power turns into Meditate there, so you can get some nice attack buffs if you use Pokemon that can learn it. The only Flying-type Pokemon I have used in this battle was Murkrow. I honestly prefer bulky and hard hitting mons like Donphan, (or Nature Power + Reflect + Petal Blizzard Meganium) because of the fact that many of Kiki's mons know Knock Off or Rock Slide, meaning that you most likely won't steamroll her with Psychic or Flying-types.

As for Aya, try Gastrodon. Seriously, that thing can take hits surprisingly well, and since Aya also uses some Water-type moves, Gastrodon gets powered up if it has Storm Drain. It can learn Recover at level 46, so just feed it a couple of Common Candies and you are good to go. Some of her Pokemon do know Grass-type moves, so beware those if you use Gastrodon.

After a grinding session, Aya wasn't too much trouble, actually! I made Floatzel start pulling her weight and got her to level 46 to learn Aqua Tail, and that move was a huge savior. It got Nidoqueen out of the way immediately. Camerupt and Manectric was still my main support due to STAB moves and Manectrics speed, but just learning that move was so helpful. Though, even though I've gotten through the ice gym now, I'm considering going back to the move tutor real quick to get Floatzel a couple of better moves to support her, and Zangoose ought to re-learn Crush Claw, though I'm loving X-Scissor and Night Slash, and Taunt is pretty awesome too.

Annnd FINALLY, my Noibat evolved. Thank goodness. Noivern is doing so much better.

Get a murkrow and save before catching it so you get brave bird. I managed to OHKO Hitmonlee, Gallade, Medicham (though it may outspeed you), Machamp, Toxicroak and killed Lucario with Arcanine. I found the opportunity to get to other pokemon to heal inbetween kills.