Yooka-Laylee Disscusion Thread

Godot

So the original Rareware team came back together to start their own company called Playtonic Games. Their first game project, Yooka-Laylee, just entered kick starter and got fully funded almost immediately. So far the game sounds promising. It serves as a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and is virtually Banjo-Threeie. One thing that is interesting is that some game play footage and Music samples were released today. Here is a song by David Wise, the Composer of the Donkey Kong Country Games.

What are your guy's thoughts and opinions on this?

As a big fan of Kecleon in Pokémon (and Chameleons in general), and Rareware's games AND Donkey Kong soundtracks, I'm very interested.

What console/s is it going to?

I've never played Banjo Kazooie either but I'm not really interested in it. I think alot of the people hyping for it are those who want to feel the nostalgia again. Not a bad thing, but don't over expect the same thing.

• Developers

its kinda weird to see kickstarted games that are spirited concessors being put on multiple consoles when the originals were reserved for 1 console exclusively. Mighty No 9 has done it and now Yooka-Laylee

• 1 year later...

LMMdQXG.png

tbh I'm kinda glad they delayed it. After the (lack of) success of some other rushed games this shows that they're caring wholly about the product and making it as quality as can be.

Y'know, with all of the hype that surrounded Yooka-Laylee's announcement when it was first revealed on Kickstarter, I was kind of expecting (and mostly hoping) for Microsoft to finally budge and make an actual Banjo-Kazooie game instead of whatever it was that they tried to feed us back in...what year was it? 2008? 2009? Alas, it seems that we won't really ever hear that announcement anytime soon with the exception (and hope) of E3. Doubt it'll happen, but I can't ever really push the idea out of my head.

That trailer for Yooka-Laylee completely blew away my expectations for the game and what I was expecting it to look like at this stage of development. It already LOOKS like a beautiful and complete package and here's Playtonic saying that they want to delay it to add even further polish to it. I just absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it whenever it comes out. I wasn't ever able to support them through the Kickstarter as I didn't really have any access to any funds at the time and I'm not entirely sure if I would've backed it anyways just because of how many failed Kickstarter attempts there have been when it comes to gaming, but damn isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? I hope Yooka-Laylee is as good as it looks.

I don't think Microsoft will touch Banjo-Kazooie, Conker or any of the Rare series outside of Killer Instinct; the majority of those games' fans are loyal to Nintendo and thus the games likely wouldn't sell on their own. The Conker's Bad Fur Day remake and Banjo/Perfect Dark sequel doing commercially poorly showed just show this.

Yooka-Laylee looks like a fantastic spiritual successor, however.

Oh hey, I didn't know this thread existed. I haven't actually played Banjo Kazooie, but I got Rare Replay free with my Xbox, so I'll probably give it and the sequel a go at some point. As I understand it, there's a lot of nostalgia for it and its sequel. Yooka Laylee looks very nice so far, so hopefully it'll live up to the potential.

While I agree that there are Nintendo purists when it comes to those two series, it's still such a waste to leave two great IPs just sitting there collecting dust. And the reason that the Banjo-Kazooie game for Xbox did so poorly wasn't just because of a loyal Nintendo fanbase, but also because it wasn't really Banjo-Kazooie. They created a Lego car-building game and slapped Banjo-Kazooie onto the title. It would've been a fine game if it were any other character(s) that didn't already have an established game-type. Banjo-Kazooie is a collectathon platformer where you get around this vast and beautiful landscape through unique interactions with the duo, not a build-and-race game where you're monotonously trying to do your best to collect better and better parts for your car.

I just think that if they had actually ever given Banjo-Kazooie a shot in a game that actually made sense for them to be in, then it would do magnificently well.

• 3 months later...

Had to dig a little for this thread, but I figured it'd be worth bringing back to life with a recent-ish trailer debuting some of the characters including a special guest character.

They've confirmed that the game will be getting a physical release alongside a digital release, so that's something to look forward to also.