Good turn base RPG (for PC) suggestions

Gaunt

A little while ago i ran out of things to play and turn base (or "old" isometric) RPG are my favorite thing so do you have any suggestions for new (or old) good games that i might have missed?

For the record i recently played:

"Tales of the Drunken Paladin" - fantastic game with good humor

"Shadowrun: Dragonfall" - a good game but the mechanics are a bit difficult to understand at first

"Wasteland 2" - great game but a little too easy

"Pillars of Eternity" - disappointing really, combat and music are good but the characters (except 2) and the world are just kinda bland and uninteresting.

If you're a fan of older turn based (similar to final fantasy), you should definitely check out Last Dream if you haven't already. It's essentially a game that takes from the early FF series and mixes with new ideas and styles. Pretty cheap on steam, with an expansion in progress, as well as another game. Here's the link for the main page. http://whitegiantrpg.com/games/last-dream/

You could try some of the old Infinity Engine games, Balder's Gate and Planescape Torment etc... ((A.K.A the games that put Bioware on the map as a company in the first place.))They are still widely considered some of the best cRPGs created and among that some of the best RPGs out of all RPGs. Thing is... you expressed not liking Pillars of Eternity. Which does make me hesitate to recommend them. Pillars tried to emulate these games in both combat, and in the Roleplaying aspect of characters etc... so it takes a lot of notes from them. However, as the issues you expressed are with the World Lore etc of Pillars, I recommend these games because they are steeped in Lore from Established Franchises and Dungeons and Dragons. Balder's Gate for example is set within the Forgotten Realms setting a campaign setting for DnD that became so popular... it almost supersede DnD itself lol. WARNING: These games are old at this point... so they might be a bit rough to look at lol. However, they are very much worth it lol. THe combat etc from Pillars is largely similar. Also, while it might not be an Infinity Engine Game, alos check out NeverWinter Knights, it is much in the same vein as them. ((as a sidenote, there have been updated versions of the Balder's Gate games... I forgot about that... but if you are having trouble finding them they are pretty easy to find on GoG or Good Old Games. It is Steam-esque service in that it provides a place to find games and gives heavy discounts on them. However, unlike Steam there is nothing that you are required to download and there is no DRM. They also spend a lot of time reworking classic games. [like Planescape Torment etc...] to Properly work on newer machines and operating systems. So, it is a good site to look at now and again lol.))

I can note... the reason the Shadowrun game was weird at first... is cause Shadowrun is needlessly complicated in it's rule set. ((it is an adaption of a TRPG, like the Infinity engines games are adaption of Dungeons and Dragons. However Shadowrun... is pretty noob unfriendly, and always has been lol.))

Divinity: Original Sin would be a pretty good pick-up if you got someone to come along with you. It is an old style cRPG that you can play with another and there as systems that your characters can agree or disagree on etc, and it affects the interactions with the world. ((Like they can each comment on things NPCs say or in conversations. Your character can actually grow to dislike each other due to the choices both players make... or even fall in love eventually I believe lol.))

You probably know aobut a bunch of these lol, but Imma throw them out there anyway, hope you find something you like XD.

Pokemon Reborn

Oh this one seems intriguing i'll try it ^_^

Thanks for your replies everyone but i already played all the games you suggested except Baldur's Gate (that i'm playing right now, don't know how i missed it so far ^_^) and Last Dream (that i will try after finishing Baldur's Gate 1&2) then maybe i'll play Icewind Dale (another one i forgot about) if nothing good comes out...still waiting for Torment: Tides of Numenera if it's at least half as good as the previous Torment i will die of happiness.

Well to be honest, on the PC you have almost nothing. If you want a very silly, waifu-ish, dumb 4th wall breaking one you have Hyper Dimension Neptunia which was recently on sale on Steam. It's pretty good, the port is kinda bad but the game is silly fun.

And then you have Valkyria Chronicles, which is anime World War II using Fire Emblem mechanics combined with a third person shooter. It's also pretty weird, but not silly and a also really good.

Have you tried Divinity: Original Sin? It's a recent oldschool cRPG (like what Pillars of Eternity tried to do, but better.) and it's quite impressive.

Yes i tried it but didn't go very far, at the time there were many new games and i ended up (temporary) dropping it. I'll probably try it again after completing the ones already suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Child of Light, if you haven't played it, is quite a charming game.

Is it an RPG? I remember it being a platform (which i don't like) but maybe i mistake it for another game

Hmm. Have you tried Banner Saga? It's based off Norse Mythology and it is an interesting game that's kinda like Oregon Trail meets Fire Emblem.

I looked it up but i'm not a fan of the "cartoon" art and i'm still not sure if it has RPG mechanics or only tactics

Child of Light, if you haven't played it, is quite a charming game.

I second this, Child Of Light is beautiful and amazing. There are PC and PS Vita ports.

Most of the turn-based RPGs I know are JRPGs. You could download an emulator and search for PS1/PS2/PSP/DS RPGs.