Thoughts on Gen 6?

fireheart4560

X and Y were very disappointing to be quite honest. I played it a lot and gen 6's competitive scene is fun as it always is, but X and Y themselves are rather dull. Kalos is an ok region, I love areas like Lumiose city due all that there is to do and parfum palace + geosenge town because of their lore. It's just that everywhere else is sort of one off.

The story was so underwhelming coming off of gen 5. Lack of real character development and lack of real threat from the villains. Then suddenly, genocide out of nowhere. I think it's the series worst rivals too. Az was a cool character same with Sycamore.

The game was also really easy. What were they thinking when they gave each gym leader minus the first two only 3 pokemon. The e4 have only 4 pokemon each as we.

\Alpha Sapphire pleasantly surprised me as a person who DID NOT like gen 3. It still has too many HMs BUT surfing wasn't that bad due to the increased speed. The story was pretty eventful and had lots of development with both your rivals and the main antagonists. I loved surfing on kyogre to the cave of origin. The delta episode was hands down one of the most hype moments in Pokemon! Flying on a rayquaza into space to smash through a meteor! I just like how the story is more eventful. I looked forward to what was added at every turn. The region saw a revamp which was nice. I also love the different type of battle back grounds in this game.

The game was still easy but not to the extent of x and y. Turning off the exp share was pretty risky. Also they experimented with different types of music. Wally's battle theme and Zinnia were amazing! Hope the next games aren't as easy but I'm happy to say I enjoyed it.

• Developers

I liked Gen 6's Pokemon. However, I did not like the games at all. X/Y were alright only because it was the transition into 3D. However, they got increasingly stale the more you played them. (Not to mention that the writing was god-awful.) Everything felt so static.

For me, Oras was incredibly boring. I was so excited to play them, and found the game feeling like a drag to play after a certain point in time.

Delta episode was interesting, but all it was-was flying from place to place until the end.

Gen six just seemed too easy... granted the addition of Mega pokemon made it that easy. I liked the concept but it needed to be more difficult. Gen 3 to this day holds my most played game and I have high hopes that they will remake it.

I never used a mega evolution in X and Y or ORAS.

I was 10 levels under and I still had an easy time.

It's a combination of dumb AI and trainers strong pokemon having weaker moves.

Edited by fireheart4560

X/Y were horrible in my opinion, ORAS was solid, here's hoping XZ/YZ are redeeming for Kalos.

Reasons why XY were awful:

• The difficulty: Even with the EXP Share off, I was always at least 5 levels higher than every gym leader without doing any grinding what so ever.
  • Team Flare was a gosh darn joke. The look like idiotic disco robots. They weren't intimidating at all, and their goal was stupid. Lysandre was Emo and looked like a mook. Cyrus was an badass insane psychopath. You could practically see Lysandre breaking down in tears all the time. Oh and that hair, are you for real?
  • Diantha played little role in the actual story and truthfully was an incredibly boring character. She looks like a Balerina and was the least intimidating (and easiest) champion to date.
  • The rest of the characters. They were completely boring and irrelevant as well. The entire Elite 4? I can't remember anything about a single one of them, not even what they look like. The 'rivals' were boring and it was just a chore to battle their pathetic excuses for teams. Serena eventually becomes halfways respectable AFTER the games over with Mega Absol. The Gym Leaders... ummmm wow, I remember the first one... the camera lady right?
  • There were only like what? 60 new pokemon, come on now, you're better than that gamefreak.
  • While I like revisiting the the old starters with the Gen 1 starters. You get two starters more or less which in game, is kind of broken. You're also given a free Mega Lucario less than half way through the game....
  • The parts of the post game that actually existed were done well, but it was still incredibly lacking and outside of breeding and the Battle Chateau there was next to nothing to do once you beat the easier than normal story mode.

There were good features such as super training, and the friend safari, breeding mechanic changes, but this was more directed towards getting legit competitive pokemon plausible. The story was completely lacking.

What if this is what Game Freak was trying to do? What of they were just trying to make competitive battling easier and just shoehorned a region in so that they could focus on it in a sequel so that the transition from 2D to 3D was easier. My point is that maybe Kalos wasn't meant to be so much of a region in X and Y and more a transition to get use to everything new. They've set themselves up for a completely easy time making a sequel to this game because now they can actually put more effort in seeing as everything is already there and fine tuned. It's really interesting. By giving us such crappy stuff, we set our expectations lower for the next game and then they blow our minds with something... Hopefully.

X/Y were horrible in my opinion, ORAS was solid, here's hoping XZ/YZ are redeeming for Kalos.

• The difficulty: Even with the EXP Share off, I was always at least 5 levels higher than every gym leader without doing any grinding what so ever.
  • Team Flare was a gosh darn joke. The look like idiotic disco robots. They weren't intimidating at all, and their goal was stupid. Lysandre was Emo and looked like a mook. Cyrus was an badass insane psychopath. You could practically see Lysandre breaking down in tears all the time. Oh and that hair, are you for real?
  • Diantha played little role in the actual story and truthfully was an incredibly boring character. She looks like a Balerina and was the least intimidating (and easiest) champion to date.
  • The rest of the characters. They were completely boring and irrelevant as well. The entire Elite 4? I can't remember anything about a single one of them, not even what they look like. The 'rivals' were boring and it was just a chore to battle their pathetic excuses for teams. Serena eventually becomes halfways respectable AFTER the games over with Mega Absol. The Gym Leaders... ummmm wow, I remember the first one... the camera lady right?
  • There were only like what? 60 new pokemon, come on now, you're better than that gamefreak.
  • While I like revisiting the the old starters with the Gen 1 starters. You get two starters more or less which in game, is kind of broken. You're also given a free Mega Lucario less than half way through the game....
  • The parts of the post game that actually existed were done well, but it was still incredibly lacking and outside of breeding and the Battle Chateau there was next to nothing to do once you beat the easier than normal story mode.

There were good features such as super training, and the friend safari, breeding mechanic changes, but this was more directed towards getting legit competitive pokemon plausible. The story was completely lacking.

I agree with some of this but I wouldn't say it was horrible. After creating 150+ new pokemon in generation 5 I completely cut them slack for the 69 good ones. Especially since quite a few of them were pretty good!

The Looker part of the post game was really good. I feel bad for forgetting about it since it gave him some character and depth.

Compared to X and Y, Black and White/2 just seems so much more better. The pretty good story, how much scale the Unova region had even though it was pretty small. I guess the areas just feel bigger than they actually are. I like Cheren, not so much Bianca but I found her tolerable. Hugh and Colress have some symbolism to them Hugh is a combination of Barry and Silver, where he is antsy and impatient while fighting for his own reasons. A simple term to put it is that he is doing the right thing but for the wrong reasons. He only wants to stop team plasma over his sisters purrloin, he doesn't really care about their motives. Colress is the opposite where he's only with team plasma to enhance pokemon abilities. He cares little of their motives as well.

N is without a doubt the most fleshed out character in the series. He grew up manipulated by his "father" to think all people do is abuse pokemon. The second he starts exploring Unova he doubts all he is taught and instantly has inner turmoil. At the end we have a huge clash with him that is one of the most defining moments of the series.

Ghetsis is a straight up bad ass. His goal was to take over unova, but jesus his plan was smart. Manipulate a whole region to let go of their pokemon so no one can stop him. It was working too.

Gen 4, 5 and 6 (as a whole Pokemon/story/music/region etc) are best on my book (games and remakes)

I don't mind the cons of X/Y like "too easy" b/c it's a game for kids and not for adults like us

The pros are more of the cons on my book and the Big part for me on cons are the 3D models

For sure gen 4 and 5 are above 6 on things like story but still gen 6 are top

Well maybe XZ/YZ will have some more to show like B2/W2 are in lot of terms better than the B/W

I agree with more or less everything Jericho said here. I'll also add that I hate Mega Evolution, for a plethora of reasons I have explained elsewhere. Truthfully, as of now I am in pure Fanon Discontinuity more: B2/W2 is where the series ends as far as I am concerned... Although that might also have to do with the fact that I own no Nintendo console, so I can only play on emulators, meaning I have no access to 3DS games...

I was really excited about Gen 6 at first... and X/Y almost made me get the 3DS. But after reading the feedback from players who have already completed the game, I thought twice about purchasing it. The updated graphics did look interesting, but the overall game difficulty and plot kinda put me off. I find the latter point very important in games such as Pokemon (which is why I love the PMD series so much (except GoI) - although it may be my personal preference) - which is what X/Y lacked in my opinion. I know I may be wrong - because I never played X/Y, but that's my overall impression of it.

ORAS, however, is another story. I probably have played R/S/E about 50 times, and it plays an important part of my childhood - so I'm really curious to find out how they remade it. I refrained from reading major spoilers - so hopefully I will be satisfied with ORAS once I get it... eventually.

• Global Mods

XY were just okay for me. I was expecting them to be amazing, but after the main adventure, it felt mostly empty. I really liked the Looker Bureau sidequest, but that was the only postgame part that I found interesting. The Mega Stones available for only one hour a day was a turn off from hunting them, especially since the ones I actually wanted to use are given by NPCs anyway. I'm glad ORAS changed that. And I've never cared about the Pokedex (collecting just for the sake of collecting is boring and tedious for me), so "catching them all" was never an incentive to keep playing, especially since I can't do online/multiplayer stuff so it's impossible anyway.

The League members didn't show up very often outside their post, and the only ones I really liked out of the 13 of them were Valerie and Wulfric. There's not even any bonding time with the Champion, which always happened up until these games.

Team Flare didn't really make any sense to me. I don't know why there wasn't at least someone keeping an eye on Lysandre to make sure he doesn't do anything dangerous, considering he's open about his crazy ideas. I'm not a fan of gloom and doom everything sucks characters, so I don't like him for the same reasons I didn't like Cyrus. I liked the scientists more. I thought they had neat designs and some of them were entertaining. I also wish we could've seen Xerneas/Yveltal in their natural habitat before they get captured and put in a lab.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, though. The first two games of a region usually are empty or have some issues, and the one(s) after usually fix a lot of those issues. I thought the region itself was beautiful. I liked being able to change my character's outfit, riding Pokemon, the XYZ trio, a lot of the music, and the Fairy type.

I really liked ORAS, though. They're my favorite games in the series so far :D

Edited by StrawberryLoveIntervention