Theme Tour Discussion/Suggestion Thread

Dark Desire

Hello Reborn!

As some of you know, we've been having several people host Theme Tours as of recently after Kamina's absence and it looks like I'll be primarily taking them over for the foreseeable future!

I'd like to receive some of your guys' input on things I could do to help improve our weekly Theme Tours.

Got an idea for a Tour Theme you haven't seen yet? I'd love to hear some of your ideas to keep these tours fresh and non-repetitive, I'm still considering whether or not to introduce a polling system where we can all vote for the next Theme Tour's theme by gathering the most popular ones you guys are suggesting. Feedback on this would be great!

Also, another thing I'd like input on would be the starting time for Theme Tours. Right now, Theme Tours start at 8 Pm U.S East Coast Time, which I won't be able to do for much longer, so I'd like to know whether doing tours a few hours earlier or even at a totally different day/time would work better for you all.

...That's it for now so start discussing! '-'

I'm unsure as to the level of ignorance I'm about to display as I know exceptionally little about the theme tours but...

I'm also unsure if anything like this has already been done before but...

I was playing some friends in 4 person chess and the majourity of the time, the Queen was the centerpiece of everyone's play and we all generally adapted our movements to our Queen's. So I had an idea on what might make an entertaining theme tour...

One Pokemon from each tier, PU (Yes, I consider it a tier and so does Showdown, but can easily be adopted as a second NU), NU, RU, UU, OU, and one Uber. The Uber representing the "Queen" in this instance. Building a team across the several tiers to accommodate your Uber. If you have the Great Wall of Giratina or hyper offensive Rayquaza... And go off of that!

Of course, this is just the skeleton and can be shaped to fit any mold.

Edited by Flynn

Hey! I had a chess tournament in mind.

Starting with the pieces: Queen, Rook, Bishop, Knight, Pawn, King

Queen: Has to be an OU pokemon. Has to be female

Rook: Has to be a UU pokemon.
Bishop & Knight: They can be any pokemon from RU and NU.

Pawn: Has to be a NFE

King: Can be any pokemon from OU,UU,RU,NU,PU. Has to be male. If it faints you lose.

I'm unsure as to the level of ignorance I'm about to display as I know exceptionally little about the theme tours but...

I'm also unsure if anything like this has already been done before but...

I was playing some friends in 4 person chess and the majourity of the time, the Queen was the centerpiece of everyone's play and we all generally adapted our movements to our Queen's. So I had an idea on what might make an entertaining theme tour...

One Pokemon from each tier, PU (Yes, I consider it a tier and so does Showdown, but can easily be adopted as a second NU), NU, RU, UU, OU, and one Uber. The Uber representing the "Queen" in this instance. Building a team across the several tiers to accommodate your Uber. If you have the Great Wall of Giratina or hyper offensive Rayquaza... And go off of that!

Of course, this is just the skeleton and can be shaped to fit any mold.

So basically a game of VIP, if you're Uber dies, you lose? Sounds cools.

New ideas

a) Circus freaks

One multiheaded monster (the freak)

One pokemon whose ability hinders it (clown)

One fire-breathing monster (anything that learns fire moves)

One Juggalo (anything that learns Swords Dance)

One Acrobat (anything that learns Acrobatics)

One Tankman (anything with an HP over 110)

B. Classic STAB-mons with a twist

Only pure type pokemon allowed. Can be extended for Ubers use

c) Sky-battles

Pokemon allowed are: Flying-types, Levitaters.

Optional twist 1: All pokemon with wings are also allowed

Optional twist 2: Pokemon that can learn Fly or Magnet Rise are allowed. Flying type pokemon that can't learn Fly are disallowed

Optional twist 3: No pokemon of the same secondary type are allowed.

d) WATCHMEN

This is a tourney based on the graphic novel "Watchmen" and the movie that came out on 2009. Your 6 characters are only restricted in terms of types that can be used. This could be restricted in OU or UU, depending on the threats. We might need to ban some things. Anyway:

Silk Spectre: Flying, Electric, Grass, Fairy, Rock

Dr. Manhattan: Electric, Dragon, Water, Psychic, Steel

Ozymandias: Poison, Steel, Ground, Fighting, Psychic

Rorschach: Fighting, Dark, Ghost, Dragon, Fire

Comedian: Normal, Fire, Ground, Ice, Dark

Nite Owl: Bug, Flying, Fairy, Water, Grass

Remember when you could rematch N in Black/White 2 and his team was different depending on the seasons? Why not have a seasonal tournament. E.g. Winter would be Ice and Water types while Summer would be Fire and Grass types.

We can have a tour based on where pokemon are found, or what kind of biome you'd find them in. Honestly ideas for tours are kind of hard to come across... We could do a factory based tour, inanimate object tour, 350 cup tour, gen 1 OU, gen 3 OU, I saw sky battles mentioned, maybe a mono item or no item tour. There's a lot to be done but some of it may be weird or chaotic.

Spooky Spooky Everywhere:

You are only allowed to use Pokémon with disturbing or disconcerting Pokédex entires OR their evolutions (in favor of making the most balanced tram possible). Example: Drifloon, the pokemon who carries off little children. (The most obvious problem with this tour is the fact that most of these mons will be ghosts, but there are some creepy ones with different types.)

Edited by AuthorReborn

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an idea I saw in a Dun Deal session: standard gen 6 with the old physical/special split back, so all moves of a certain type are either physical or special without exceptions. For example, all Ghost-type moves are physical, all Dark-type moves are special, etc, etc.

How about we all choose a song to base our teams off of and go on from there? we could see some interesting things, but we have to justify the mons to the host or something i don't know

That sounds pretty epic. I second that.

How about a simple tour which is a BL tour, so you can't use OU mons, but you can use anything below that (BL, UU, Bl2, ect.) It would give recognition to all sorts of nest mons that can't shine in OU, but have been deemed unhealthy in UU.

That sounds pretty epic. I second that.

How about a simple tour which is a BL tour, so you can't use OU mons, but you can use anything below that (BL, UU, Bl2, ect.) It would give recognition to all sorts of nest mons that can't shine in OU, but have been deemed unhealthy in UU.

Technically speaking, OU is just a threat list that shows percentage of usage. If you check the rankings, many BL pokemon are deemed higher than some OU.

I second that suggestion, but I'd add BL2, BL3 and not UU and RU.

Maybe some sort of "Assassin" play? Each Pokémon team of six has two "assassins" and one "target", announced before the match by both players at the same time. In order to win, you must either defeat the "target" mon of your opponent (the finishing hit must be made by one of your "Assasins"), or just defeat all six in a normal style, whichever comes first.

There could be lots of fun aspects to this, such as:

-More use of moves like Roar and Mean Look to trap Assassins and Targets to kill them. Assassins would generally be hard-hitters, but frail, so trapping them to kill them would be crucial.

-Plays revolving around keeping your Target alive, such as Wish passing.

Edited by Nova

Technically speaking, OU is just a threat list that shows percentage of usage. If you check the rankings, many BL pokemon are deemed higher than some OU.

I second that suggestion, but I'd add BL2, BL3 and not UU and RU.

That's the exact reason why I want this: there are so many excellent Pokes who never even get recognized for their power! Mons like Volcarona, Smergle, and Klefki, all of who strike fear into every team, are merely BL instead of the sort of threats that must be banned for overusage.

EDIT: Also here's another suggest:

The Luck of the Draw:

Competitive Pokemon tends to depend on using the most powerful pokemon to win a battle, although Reborn Pokemon tends to be a bit more lenient on the side of having all 721 valued. For this tour, the players would embody Reborn and have an independent and neutral party generate them six numbers from 1-721 to give them their team members. From here, the players will attempt to achieve the greatest heights possible, with Lady Luck willing, of course.

Note: this is fairly similar to random battles, although this also includes the ability to have baby pokemon and there will be no real balance to the teams, so one must tread carefully.

Edited by AuthorReborn

• 2 weeks later...

An idea I had for a while is Relay Race Theme, where every Pokemon must have the move Baton Pass and the only switching allowed is through Baton Pass (allowing or banning U-turn/Volt Switch/Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail can be discussed), although note that only 64 Pokemon can use Baton Pass so we might not see much variety but we could always have it UU or maybe even RU.

Also wanted to say I'd prefer tours on Sundays since that's the only day I can actually participate between Sat/Sun any time after 6 EST or Saturday being after 9:30 EST.

• 1 month later...