Under rated and Over rated Pokemon fan made games

jamesw0102

For the first time, a thread I'd like to post in but I don't really know what to say.

For under rated.... Insurgence, maybe? some people don't want to play it because it is from the creators of the (IMO boring) zeta/omicron ones, but insurgence truly is fun (again, IMO, but is far a better job than z/omicron).

As for over rated.... I really dunno.

• Global Mods

idk what underrated and overrated mean, but:

Zeta/Omicron felt stale to me. Every city and town had the same track except for one. The rival just used Blue's sprite, but IIRC he wasn't Blue. The team leader (in Zeta at least, I'm not sure about Omicron)'s battle sprite just looked like a bald Giovanni with a blue suit instead of a black one. The challenge run idea was cool and I like the randomizer, but that's about it. I don't know how I played as far as I did because I only remember being bored.

I don't like ROM hacks in general, mostly because of extremely poor grammar and sentence structure (ex: Dark Rising and Victory Fire) and constant level spikes (both of the aforementioned + a lot of others). Pokemon Sweet Version is one of the few, maybe only, one I enjoyed. I don't bother with them anymore.

I mean no disrespect to the creators. I'm just not a fan of their games.

As much as I love Zeta/Omicron, since it was my very first pokemon game it did have a lot of flaws, especially the very limited soundtrack, recolored sprites, and stuff but it did have a lot of fun things like the 2nd Region Shadow Pokemon arc, the secret base actually feeling like a base, and plenty of post elite 4 content. I liked that the focus was on beating the enemy team rather than being the best but it was probably overhyped. Insurgence looks to be trying to avoid/fix the mistakes that were made in Zeta/Omicron.

I'm not sure if it could be considered under rated if it's still in very early alpha but Generation 0 looks like it could be very interesting since you get to play as a young Oak or Agatha. The creator said he's designing it more like a traditional, albeit very difficult RPG, rather than a typical pokemon game. Gym-wise you have to beat it all in one shot, no leaving to heal, and if you fail you are heavily penalized. Apparently if you don't look around the first town for hidden items and stuff you'll get your clock thoroughly cleaned by the first trainer you come across. All held items have a use limit, this is to offset the fact that you don't have to constantly buy new equipment for your pokemon like you do in other JRPGs. There are a lot side quests as well. I think this is one that could be worth keeping an eye on, especially if you like challenging pokemon games.