Amethyst

See first post  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Beryl Ward/Rhodocrine Jungle

2. 2. Apophyll Beach

3. 3. Byxbysion Wasteland

4. 4. Ametrine City/peak area

5. 5. Chrysolia Forest

6. 6. Route 2 (particularly the north end)

• Administrators

This is, in a sense, a continuation of this topic, which explains exactly what's going on with the lag and what we're doing about it.

However, despite my explanations in that topic, there are some areas in the game that defy expectation in regards to lag. To be more specific, I've been very surprised that I -haven't- heard more complaints of lag in these areas, for various reasons. So, consider this a double-check to make sure I haven't just missed concerns in these areas.

• Beryl Ward/Rhodochrine Jungle
  • Apophyll Beach

I'll be honest, if anything has made me question if map connections really cause lag, it's these two areas. Because quite frankly, they both have a -ton- of them. Despite that I've always gotten many more comments about Peridot, Opal and Obsidia which have only had a few around them.

• Byxbysion Wasteland
  • Ametrine City/peak area

These two maps have no map connections, but a ton of events, and I was always surprised I didn't have to split them up for that alone. That said, in my experience Ametrine City in particular has performed excellently beyond all expectation otherwise. I was anticipating it to be a disaster actually, because everything from the city to the peak is one single map. It is by far the largest map in the game and has about 200 events to boot. By contrast, the Wasteland has over 300 events.

In contrast to the above...

• Chrysolia Forest
  • Route 2

These areas have been historically problematic, and unlike the others, my understanding is that they still are, but I want to do a check to make sure and compare the poll numbers. In the past, Chrysolia Forest was plagued by hundreds of events (almost exactly 300) -and- several map connections. Route 2 is currently in that state, but I want to see how it compares to the forest itself. I currently am not 100% sure on what my solution for Route 2 will be.

Additionally, if there's another area of concern you have that I haven't mentioned, please tell me in a post.

When rating the lag in these areas, I've set up the poll for three points

1. No apparent lag
  2. It may have a little lag, but it doesn't affect your gameplay experience
  3. Lag severe enough to diminish the feel of the game

All feedback will be helpful. Thanks ahead of time!

i must say i do get a lot of lag in peridot ward especially near the bridges that go under obsidia ward (towards the railnet) but then again i usually have a few mmo clients running at the same time so i don't know how much lag i would without them on. i do tend to lag only very slightly in byxbysion wasteland and a lil near the jasper ward but other than that its fine. its only in peridot ward that i really really really lag its horrible (sorry) but yeah there is my 2cents

The Wasteland was the worst by far for me. So much that I had to take breaks off playing not to punch my laptop, and I gave up on getting that Mudkip. :wacko: Route 2 is pretty much the same.

Chrysolia is a close second to those two, but it was just not as annoying due to being simpler to navigate.

A place that isn't mentioned in the poll that lagged for me is the path from Apophyll up to the volcano. For some reason it lagged pretty badly, while both the beach and caves themselves were ok.

Pretty much and by looking at the poll some Pc Specs must be post by those people

And of course if they have open anyhting else

As for me all my votes are 1 or 2

I have only Reborn open and sometimes Chrome (plus some programs on tray like Malwarebytes)

Spec: Intel i5 2.53GHz, 8GB Ram, SSD and Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Edited by Qaaz

In terms of lag, I don't have that bad. Sporadic frame drops in the areas stated higher. Nothing major.

But if there are some weather conditions (like strong wind or rain) then the whole thing goes down and I feel like moving through butter. so yeah...

• Administrators

An additional question for people suffering from server lag in the wasteland:

Is the lag constant throughout that entire map, or do you notice some sections are distinctly faster/slower than others?

This may inform how I address some of these issues.

It will also be helpful if players suffering from lag in either Chrysolia or the Wasteland would post their system specs. (and specify which of those, or both, they have trouble with)

For players suffering heavy lag in the Beryl area, is there a specific part of it that lags for you? I.e in/towards the jungle, towards the desert/bridge, around the PULSE, so on? Or is it constant through out?

(clever readers will notice that I basically just asked the exact same question about two different areas and phrased it differently. in my defense, it's for entirely different purposes each)

• Administrators

It is not. But that doesn't really matter because for that are what's important is the map connections... Those maps are narrow enough you will almost never be far away enough from a connection so that it wouldn't lag you. ..which is why I'm confused as to why it doesn't lag more.

• 1 month later...

Okay I know this is a bit of a necro, but I have a relevant suggestion with something Ive been playing around with.

Ive been trying out a few different things to speed up Reborn for awhile now to counteract the lag I get from pretty much everywhere(especially when its raining, screw the rain!). Anyways my latest little experiment seems to be working nicely. In the script editor on RGSS2Compatibility, line 72 is Graphics.frame_rate = 40

Now apparently RMXP will let you set this value up to 120(and someone posted a work around to make it go much higher). I set mine to 120, saved, fired up the game and holy crap it was going faster then I could even get CheatEngine's speedhack! During rainy weather. Now 120 is a bit too fast, as indoors walking felt like I was the flash so now Im sitting at a fairly comfortable 80. Even 80 might be a bit much for a default value, but I recommend tweaking it up to 60 and seeing how that impacts the game. The only real concern I can think of is that since it speeds up all frame based timers as well, that means some cutscenes might move a bit quicker then originally intended. Personally I think thats a small risk for a performance boost across literally every conceivable part of the game.

I will talk about the Aphophyll Beach, which has an interesting "lag effect" in my save that probably will give you some answers (Or more questions, who knows).

The closer I get to the Academy, the laggier it gets, in the point which getting near it makes it near unpleyable, but just for some small tiles, until returning to normal speed that I like to have. To be more exact:

Lag3.png

The Academy, again, seems to be the problem, not having it in our field make the game runs at perfect speed, but as soon as it appears the lag comes with it, I personally felt this a lot when I was grinding my Helioptile against the Wingulls, mostly because if I went just one step down more, the game would practically froze for 1 or 2 seconds, and notoriously break the atmosphere.

The strange thing is when I enter the zone that is exactly called "Aphophyll Academy", there is no lag, but the lag comes when I see the Academy but I'm still in the Beach.

For Berryl and Rodocrine:

The Bridge works perfect, even better than the part that connects it to the city, also no problems with the cementery part.

But the part where the PULSE is... ugh, lag everywhere, strangelly enough, it is where the event was that it's laggy, because to the right of the PULSE the game works perfectly, but to the left it's all laggy.

Lag1.pngLag2.png

All the path I just did with those screenshots is so laggy it's something annoying, but probably because you don't need to use it ever again it's not something that bad.

For the Jungle, it felt a bit more laggy in the north part, but it may be just me and it wasn't that bad at all.

But even so, no part of ALL Berryl nor Rhodocrine works at the sheer awesome speed of the Bridge.

To end this post, I will talk about Peridot, the north part works worse than the south (The south speed is perfect, the north one is a lot laggier). Same problem with Obsidia, the north part is all laggy, but South Obsidia is a paradise.

But in general it's the WEATHERS that break the flow of the game, and the one I suffer the most is the strong winds, it makes the game fell x5 more laggier.