[Outdated] Site/Forum Suggestions, Maintenance, and Discussion

Arkhi

That's always bugged me. Additionally, try comparing this method to viewing posts located in a users' "Reputation" section in their profile. That links correctly, so selecting the Post Number in the upper right of a reply should work similarly, but does not. I'll add this to the OP.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I suppose more accurately, I should say that I can probably fix it, but I don't know where to look. I'll have a look around and see if Ame knows anything as well.

As a little test, if you click the post number, you can see "#entrynumber". So, for Ikaru's post above, the end of the link was "showtopic=10965entry263461". To obtain the exact page and post, the end of the link must be as follows:

"showtopic=10965&page=4#entry263461". The entry number is the same, but this includes the page=number for whatever page the post entry is on.

Edit: Whatever algorithm is used to determine the entry number, it isn't linear. Post #76 and #77 have a difference of two, but #77 and #78 have a difference of three. In comparison to other posts, the entry number is seen to increase as reply number increases, but not in any easily identifiable pattern.

Edited by Arkhidon

As a little test, if you click the post number, you can see "#entrynumber". So, for Ikaru's post above, the end of the link was "showtopic=10965entry263461". To obtain the exact page and post, the end of the link must be as follows:

"showtopic=10965&page=4#entry263461". The entry number is the same, but this includes the page=number for whatever page the post entry is on.

Edit: Whatever algorithm is used to determine the entry number, it isn't linear. Post #76 and #77 have a difference of two, but #77 and #78 have a difference of three. In comparison to other posts, the entry number is seen to increase as reply number increases, but not in any easily identifiable pattern.

My guess is it's just post number in reference to the entire website.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested or if it's even possible. But maybe a "lite" version of the forums for mobile devices? I'm not expecting this to be a major deal or something that should have a lot of attention; but it would be nice having the forums a bit more accessible when I'm let's say on break at work or riding in a car for a long trip.

I know this may sound a little bit narcissistic, but I was wondering if perhaps my guide (or even better: a link) could be moved or at least be added in a more easily seen section of the site, such as the Game Download page or the Reborn City forum. I constantly ponder how many Mac users are discouraged by the fact that they cannot play the game under normal circumstances, and in turn, miss out on a great experience if they never discover the guide. I even checked google and I haven't seen any reliable sources detailing how to do so, and mine isn't even on the first page (didn't see it at all actually). I often times even see bugs that could be prevented, most pertaining to the sound files, because people most likely have installed wine, but don't know the extra precautions to smoothly run the game. Just decided to throw the idea out there.

To hell with modesty. You wrote a great guide that more people need to read, else they miss out on the game, as you mentioned, or run into game-breaking bugs. Editing the OP now.

Edit: Also, if possible, you should go through the guide and see if any adjustments need be made. For each release, a patch may be required to allow the game to run on Mac.

Edited by Arkhidon

To hell with modesty. You wrote a great guide that more people need to read, else they miss out on the game, as you mentioned, or run into game-breaking bugs. Editing the OP now.

Edit: Also, if possible, you should go through the guide and see if any adjustments need be made. For each release, a patch may be required to allow the game to run on Mac.

I normally update it to the newest versions of Wine that are released, but only after I've tested and approved them, as sometimes, they can be unstable. The reason there are currently two different options in the guide is because both work well, but have different areas in which the save file is located. One is stable, while one is more updated. I've already detailed how to upgrade or downgrade episodes within the guides.

Perfect! Then your guide really should be placed in the Game Download page under "System Requirements" for reference. I'll reflect this as I edit.
On the note of updating the main site, someone should update the main site. Only eight badges, what is this? Editing the OP now.

• Administrators

If Ame approves I can add that with my eyes closed. Will go ahead and update the things that need to be updated, though.

As for direct links to posts, as an update, I... have no idea where to look to even start to fix it. Sorry.

• Administrators

You know what, I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions! >:C

Mac topic relocated to Reborn City (why was it in the bug reporting section in the first place?) and added to the Game Download page (y)

Mac topic relocated to Reborn City (why was it in the bug reporting section in the first place?) and added to the Game Download page (y)

I was thinking of adding a "Getting Started" sort of thread with this linked to it, but this works just as well for now.

Don't apologize for that mate, the move you made is probably cleaner. Only reason I would look to do it is because there isn't really an intro to the game thread ("So you want to play Pokemon Reborn" isn't the kind of intro I'd be looking for ...) and if something like that could clean up the bug reports that have a similar feel to "ok so i downloaded the game now what" and "how do i play this game" and the like, maybe we could use one? I donno, what do you guys think?

• Administrators

It sounds a bit like a certain non-updated FAQ...
Perhaps we could take that and turn it into a beginner's guide as opposed to an outdated forgettable link that I'm not sure many people use, rather than another forum topic.

Did tinkerbell mix in some testosterone with that there pixie dust? You need to remember this more, as do certain people around here who aren't even 18 yet.

People were chosen for certain positions because they made good decisions and made a noticeable effort. Please be a little more confident in yourself. You're less likely to be stepping on anybody's toes as much as supplementing whatever else they may have done. Even if you made a mistake, remember that it's reversible.

• Administrators

Yeah, you guys are fine. Both of you know what you're doing and have the access; I'll trust your decisions.

It will be worth making distinct pages on the website for Mac instructions, Getting Started instructions, and possibly sectioning out the game FAQ into two pages, one for general game questions and one for common error messages, a la corrupt save messages, RGSS stopped working, script hanging, etc. We mostly see the same things a lot. I've wanted to do these things for a while and (naturally) haven't gotten around to it

If a common error message page is created, I'd like to request the addition of an error message commonly seen on Macs that says: "DirectX 8.0 or higher not installed." This is normally caused by the Wine Prefix not being in its own folder or being created in the wrong place. Although I have detailed in the guide that it is essential to create a new wine prefix to prevent this, some people do forget, and in turn, experience the error.

It sounds a bit like a certain non-updated FAQ...

Perhaps we could take that and turn it into a beginner's guide as opposed to an outdated forgettable link that I'm not sure many people use, rather than another forum topic.

'kay so first I have actually started updating that since been given access to it ><

It's a WIP thing because I have a lot of projects all the time but I'm likely going to be working with Jericho to update these kinds of pages.

Yeah, you guys are fine. Both of you know what you're doing and have the access; I'll trust your decisions.

It will be worth making distinct pages on the website for Mac instructions, Getting Started instructions, and possibly sectioning out the game FAQ into two pages, one for general game questions and one for common error messages, a la corrupt save messages, RGSS stopped working, script hanging, etc. We mostly see the same things a lot. I've wanted to do these things for a while and (naturally) haven't gotten around to it

Alright, I'll probably talk to you when I get the chance so I can figure out exactly what you're looking for from them and then start working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't large enough a problem to edit the main post.
From the Hall of Fame, Season 1, when Icey-Kun's profile is accessed from that hyperlink, the redirect is incorrect. It takes users to http://www.pokemonreborne.com/forum/index.php?showuser=10

Now I'm not British, but I think reborn is still spelled without an "e".