[Interest Check] Fate: Full Moon

Bfroger6

This is my first attempt at hosting an rp... I'm so nervous, I can't even bring myself to click the "Post New Topic" button! >-<

24 years have passed since the destruction of the Greater Grail and the death of Shirou Emiya during the fifth Holy Grail war...

But if the Grail was truly destroyed that day... How is it that the 6th Holy Grail war is about to begin?

14th June, 2030. Fuyuki city

I turn to Rider. His hair waves like the sea as he swings his red bandana around his finger. His eyes are set upwards into the night sky. A full moon shines even brighter at us than the neon lights below. Two sabres, tied to his waist, dangle a bit as he notices my gaze and shifts his head towards me. His determined look and smug smirk tell me he is ready for it.

"Maria." He calls out my name as the wind blows stronger, reminding me of our position high up on a skyscraper. "Don't tell me you're having second thoughts?" He apparently sees right through my concerns. He is good at reading people like that...

"Like I have a choice..." I frown and respond to his pathetic attempt at mocking me. "Besides, I had 12 years to prepare myself for this..." I turn my face away from him and begin walking to the edge of the building. "I must be ready for it..." A silent whisper leaves my lips as I hear my servant's laughter.

"Alright then." He says as he comes near me. The distant howls of passerby cars echo through our ears as he grabs my wrist. "I hope you're ready this time. Or are you gonna scream like a little girl like last time?"

"You wish!" I hear him laugh for the last time before he jumps, pulling me with him into the neon glow of the night...

Into our destiny...

Kind of a short prologue to my rp. A Fate franchise rp if you haven't noticed. Basically, it's about the "final" Holy Grail war. A war involving not only 7 Servants and Masters, but 12 or 14, depending on what you guys would want. 14 would be ideal 'cause there would be 2 Servants of each class, but 12 ties in nicely with the whole 12 + 12 years and 12 on the clock showing midnight thingy. If you choose 12, then there might be a few new classes of servants introduced, including Maria's Rider, whose class will be changed. (the wiki says sometimes alterations can happen regarding Servant classes [like Avenger] and I know there should only be 7 peeps in the war; everything will be explained in due time)

I created this thread just to see if people are even willing to do something like this ~

If people show interest in this, I'll reveal more info tomorrow when I get back from school, and, if not, I'll just have to find some other forum to post this in. :)

For now, bye bye ~ I'm off to sleep. I've got school tomorrow.

p.s. All the info about the universe can be found here: http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Fate_series , although I will sum up the most basic information about it if people start showing up. It's a really complex world.

(and yup, I have only ever seen Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero but I've been busy resarching all the other stuff during my scarce free time these last few days)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a huge fan of both Type-MOON (mainly Fate/ Zero) and an avid role player, I would like to see this happen. Since you're still doing research, I know quite a bit about the world of Fate/ so I would absolutely love to be of any assistance.

Fate is super complex, like I still don't understand that series like at all sometimes. XD I am just going to warn you, there was one of these that tried to get going before and it kinda fell flat. I am not saying yours will, it is just the Fate/ sereis is super confusing for those that don't know about it. ((heck, I have seen it and I still don't understand the Magic in this series.)) If you need any general Hosting tips I would be glad to help.

Either way, if you think you are up to the task just go for it. Don't forget to just look everywhere in history and mythology for interesting historical figures if you don't have them all decided on already. Good luck, I may get a bit more excited about this later down the line if you start showing more info for now I am just going to watch how this develops.

Another Fate style RP huh? I watched the death of the last one, Hukuna's on the money in that the challenge will be in finding the people with enough knowledge to join. I'd drop your number of master and servant pairs back down to 7, or at least anticipate having to do so.

As for me? I could maybe give it a shot. It's no lie that I am one of the most knowledgeable people on the site when it comes to Fate. I'm no roleplayer though, and I didn't participate in the last one 'cause I had life to worry about. I'm approaching holidays now though so like I said, I might join.

As far as servants go, are you planning them all out or are masters free to pick their own? Obviously the latter would require an impartial figure to register the servants with in order to avoid double summoning. Also are there bans on servants like Gilgamesh/Herakles who will just win the war on their own if allowed in?

Finally a list of good sources to consider when looking for servants: The type moon wiki (if the servant already exists that makes the job easier), Arthurian legend, Greek/Roman mythology, Norse mythology, Asian mythology, Indian mythology, and the old testament.

*Potential Spoilers. So...*

In regards to certain Servants being far too over powered, Fate/ has intentionally created a way to shovel away too much excess power from Servants such as Karna and Gilgamesh (Lancelot > Heracles). This can also apply to this RP. Masters have their own set of specific standards in which you can be a high quality master such as Tohsaka Rin, or a poor quality Master such as Matou Kariya. If your Servant is Gilgamesh, then your qualities of a Master are poor. A Servant can only draw as much power as the Master can provide. We've seen many powerful and not-so-powerful Servants that have been crippled or held high by their Master's own capabilities, with a few exceptions. But in general, the same standards should apply here.

In the anime, those who are conscious of their role in the war find a specific Heroic Spirit they wish to command. So the choice of your Servant should be viable. Also, in regards to choosing a Servant never seen in the Fate/ series, you simply explain their passive powers (Arturia's ability to walk on water), as well as their Noble Phantasm(s) (up to say, two but with an obvious limitation. F/Z Lancer had two which "counted as one" but not really, since it was a part of the same magic, wheres Gilgamesh had straight up three, with access to infinity. Also, one thing to keep in mind is the Heroic Spirits range from a vast range. From Jack the Ripper (who was actually just a little girl who wanted her mommy) to Alexander the Great (Al Izkandar).

Edited by Flynn

(Lancelot > Heracles).

While Lancelot is one of the only servants actually able to kill Heracles this doesn't make him stronger than Heracles. The only reason he can win in a one on one is his very specific set of skills combined with his strength rank of A. In general Heracles' noble phantasm "God Hand" is enough to guarantee his master an automatic win in a 7 way war, unless he's very unlucky with who else is summoned. Lancelot is a very powerful servant, but he's not on Heracles' level. Still, this isn't the place for this sort of thing.

In regards to certain Servants being far too over powered, Fate/ has intentionally created a way to shovel away too much excess power from Servants such as Karna and Gilgamesh (Lancelot > Heracles). This can also apply to this RP. Masters have their own set of specific standards in which you can be a high quality master such as Tohsaka Rin, or a poor quality Master such as Matou Kariya. If your Servant is Gilgamesh, then your qualities of a Master are poor. A Servant can only draw as much power as the Master can provide. We've seen many powerful and not-so-powerful Servants that have been crippled or held high by their Master's own capabilities, with a few exceptions. But in general, the same standards should apply here.

This has been the case in the past, but doesn't have to be. Tokiomi summoning Gilgamesh is evidence of that. In fact I'd say it's more likely that powerful servants would be summoned by powerful masters. Besides, I doubt anyone wants to play as a master that can't do anything.

In the anime, those who are conscious of their role in the war find a specific Heroic Spirit they wish to command. So the choice of your Servant should be viable.

While I agree with you, ultimately it's not our decision to make.

While Lancelot is one of the only servants actually able to kill Heracles this doesn't make him stronger than Heracles. The only reason he can win in a one on one is his very specific set of skills combined with his strength rank of A. In general Heracles' noble phantasm "God Hand" is enough to guarantee his master an automatic win in a 7 way war, unless he's very unlucky with who else is summoned. Lancelot is a very powerful servant, but he's not on Heracles' level. Still, this isn't the place for this sort of thing.

This has been the case in the past, but doesn't have to be. Tokiomi summoning Gilgamesh is evidence of that. In fact I'd say it's more likely that powerful servants would be summoned by powerful masters. Besides, I doubt anyone wants to play as a master that can't do anything.

While I agree with you, ultimately it's not our decision to make.

In regards to Heracles and Lancelot, I simply prefer Lancelot as a character. It's heavily debated which could defeat who with no solid standing, even with equal masters. Berserker is my favourite Class in general.

I suggested the ratio of weak to strong and strong to weak in regards to Masters and Servants just to make things a little more fair while also enabling the chance at using your canon favourites. You can be a very efficient Master such as Kiritsugu while at the same time being a horrid source of power. Case and point being Shirou outside of plot armour.

I might try this if you're a better host, to be blunt.

now that's a bit mean but i am aware i am not a good host. though all you had to do was just fight the monster for a bit and carvery would have came anyway.....

So yeah its me the guy who tried to do one of these before. So to say the least i am more then willing to join and help, hell I will give you the seven servants I made more mine to use if you want.

also to you guys nether Hercules or Lancelot where fighting at there full potential in those wars because they where summoned under the berserker class which because of the mad enhancement skill also sealed away their ability to use activated NP(such as the full power of aeonlight for Lancelot and Hercules' bow) such is the down side of that class.

in regards to the other classes like Avenger and Ruler there is very specific criteria for them. Avenger was summoned because the Einsberns tried to summon a god. and Ruler is only summoned for the great holy grail war which is between two factions of seven servants each to act as a mediator. and Launcher was just something someone started calling their servant because it fit them better then lancer because of there skills.

Lets see what else was i going to say oh....in regards to the summoning the original way it was suppose to work was that the grail would match a master with most compatible servant for them. but most of the time people just bypasted that by using a catalyst(such as Avolan for Saber, and the first ever shed skin of snakes for Gil.) to summon powerful servants with no care for compatibility.(which was the problem for most of the pairs in Fat/Zero except for Caster and his master, and Rider and his at the end.) also tecnically there is a time limit for the grail in regards to the time from which heroic spirits can be summoned usually it cuts off at the start of the 1900's Archer from Fate/Stay Night is the only exception that I know of.

Oh yeah last thing with the weak master strong servant thing keep in mind the servants have their own minds. most powerful servants won't fallow someone they do not find worthy.(like how in Fate/Stay Night Caster kills her original master right off the back because she believed that person was to weak).Rider also mentions something like this in Zero. So that's something to keep in mind. Servants aren't mindless familiars they have their own beliefs, morals and motivations.

(and technically the same aliment system that Dungeons and Dragons uses)

Okay i think that's enough from me for now so need any help just ask.

Oh, activity ~ I'll reply more thouroughly when I get on my laptop, but for now, I can say Im glad that people are interested and I have already thought up Servants of the Rider, Lancer, Saber, Caster, Berserker and Assassin class.

I have already faced the fact I would probably have to normalize the number of Masters/Servants back to 7. I alsp realized maybe including new classes aint gonna be a good idea, so Im just gonna use the 7 normal classes of servants, doubling some of them in case the number exceeds 7.

About the servants... I'll gladly accept your ideas for new servants if you happen to have a few. We're going to have to come up with a way to pull that off fairly though.

(my apologies for any grammatical mistakes, I'm on my phone...)

Edited by Bfroger6

I saw the anime but I still don't understand everything. xD So I'm going to wait to see how this plays out.

And Diarmuid got screwed over or he would've won

I have already thought up Servants of the Rider, Lancer, Saber, Caster, Berserker and Assassin class.

About the servants... I'll gladly accept your ideas for new servants if you happen to have a few. We're going to have to come up with a way to pull that off fairly though.

So you're saying that you've got servants in mind but others can choose their own so long as their balanced, while keeping the theme that no-one originally knows who the others are? If you were already going to know the other servants identities wouldn't you be able to balance it? Otherwise we'd need someone else to sit out of the game and create character sheets for the servants that the participants come to them with.

Honestly if people want to choose their own servant then the second option is better. I can see the potential for disputes as to who's servant is stronger than who's, and it would probably help to have someone acting as "word of god" for those situations. When it comes down to that sort of thing, who's better to make the call than the impartial creator of the characters?

So you're saying that you've got servants in mind but others can choose their own so long as their balanced, while keeping the theme that no-one originally knows who the others are? If you were already going to know the other servants identities wouldn't you be able to balance it? Otherwise we'd need someone else to sit out of the game and create character sheets for the servants that the participants come to them with.

Honestly if people want to choose their own servant then the second option is better. I can see the potential for disputes as to who's servant is stronger than who's, and it would probably help to have someone acting as "word of god" for those situations. When it comes down to that sort of thing, who's better to make the call than the impartial creator of the characters?

Now, it's up to the people, I believe. I would gladly serve that role, but I can see people complaining because I would ultimatively have all the information about all the servants. The whole idea of people choosing their own servants was brought up by me because of that.

I do play by the rules though (Maria Lockeheart (my PC) and her Rider are far from powerful) and I did not ever think of misusing the information in any way to my PC's advantage.

So yeah, if you want to choose your own Servants, you can PM me their information and then we can talk about it over the Private Messenger. And if you want one of my Servants, just give me your character's profile and I'll choose a suitable Servant for you.

Do the servants have to be drawn from real-life mythology, or could they potentially be from literature? For example, and this wouldn't be my choice, what if someone wanted Legolas for their servant?

Literature is fine as long as they're famous enough. There have been instances of fictional character being summoned as Servants in various Fate thingies.

But I'm not sure about modern literature like Lotr though it could potentially work out. Let me think about it for a bit ~

Do the servants have to be drawn from real-life mythology, or could they potentially be from literature? For example, and this wouldn't be my choice, what if someone wanted Legolas for their servant?

Literature is fine as long as they're famous enough. There have been instances of fictional character being summoned as Servants in various Fate thingies.

But I'm not sure about modern literature like Lotr though it could potentially work out. Let me think about it for a bit ~

There's certainly no rule that states a servant has to have lived in order to be summoned by the grail, but I'm not sure literature as you're defining it works either. There have been many cases where the real life existence of the servant summoned is dubious, but in each case it is plausible that someone lived and a legend was later created around their life, with certain falsified and inflated elements to it. Therefore in each of these cases, there have been people in human culture at some point in time who have believed that the servants did live, even if they are considered fictional characters now. Different from a character from a book written recently about whom there has never been any doubt that they are of fictional existence.

The literal definition of a servant is the manifestation, by the grail, of a heroic spirit. A heroic spirit being the spirit of a person, which is elevated to a higher position than an ordinary spirit by the belief of the masses that they are special. Whether they are actually special or not doesn't matter. A servant isn't a representation of who they were in real life, but who they are believed to have been. In the same way, the older, more famous, and more worshiped a heroic spirit is, the stronger the servant derived from it is.

For example, if I were to summon Vlad III, he would most likely have vampiric properties in his skills list because the legend of Dracula originates with him, even though we know he wasn't a vampire.

Make sense?

Okay, so Mage's Association's probably gonna have their fingers in this whole situation, as well as the Holy Church. I got an idea that maybe some of the Masters have been recruited by the Association as soon as the word about the 6th Grail War got out 12 years ago. Those Masters would be in direct contact with the Association and each other throughout the war, serving their cause since the Association would like nothing more than getting their hands on the Grail at this point. They wouldn't do it for free, oh nonono. The Association would grant particular resources to those Masters, like money, place to stay, certain magical thingies

That would split the Masters into two groups. Those with the MA and the lone riders. The first objective of the MA mages would be to eliminate the others as quickly as possible to ensure victory for the Association. It would involve teaming up against other Masters just to ensure the kill, which would probably make the other masters team up as well in order to survive.

Also, don't think the MA guys are some mindless MA drones. If you choose that option, your characters would still probably seek the Grail for their own benefit while simply exploiting the offerings of the MA. Considering that MA is stubborn, please do prepare yourself because they aren't going to let you just walk away with the Grail after spending their funds. They want the Grail for themselves and to find out exactly why did it reactivate and how, don't forget.

Maria falls under this group, but only because she herself is weak (because of reasons currently unknown), although she keeps her distance from the other members of the MA group. She gets what she needs from the Association even before the war even began, so she isn't going to stay with them if she doesn't need to. Sure, she is now one of the hunted ones, but she doesn't care. Her Rider can get her out of a pinch.

About the Church... It's just there, nothing special. A new priest has been sent to the now empty Kotomine church in Fuyuki so the Church still serves as a safe place for Servant-less Masters.

There's also the question regarding the 3 founding families, Tohsaka, Einzbern and Matou/Makiri. The Grail isn't picky this time though. It doesn't have time or resources currently to throw around just so it could get the 3 families involved in the war. However, if any of you really want your PCs to be a part of one of the families, feel free to do so, but pay attention to the genetics and family stuff when figuring out your character. Do some resarch about them ~

(and yes, you can say your PC is a child of one of the already established Fate serioes characters like Sakura Matou or Rin, though I won't accept the Rin proposal cuz I have plans for her)

Post your complaints about this in the comments below ~ I'm off to sleep.

Cya

The problem with making your own servants has to be the fact that it is hard to be impartial or infuse their qualities in their abilities and their Noble Phantasm.

I am going to say, I haven't seen the Light Novels of the Fate Series, I have only seen the anime. However, I can tell you that I knew most of the Super Iconic Servants instantly without having to see their abilities. ((Saber I knew instantly, along with Lancelot and Herc since they oozed their characters from their respective legends. Lancelot was actually the easiest for me, since his NP that made anything his NP was such a sure-fire clue to who he was if you knew anything of Arthurian Legend. [which I do lol.]))

Basically, what I am saying is, not only when making a servant for yourself, do you not have to make them op as heck, you need them to fit who they are in their legends. I imagine that is a super hard task and would be tough for anybody to just do without a lot of research.

thats actually a pretty good idea. the only thing that i have any problem with is that given that theres seven servants it would lead to a three vs four. which could end up being unbalanced in places.

• Support Squad

The problem with making your own servants has to be the fact that it is hard to be impartial or infuse their qualities in their abilities and their Noble Phantasm.

I am going to say, I haven't seen the Light Novels of the Fate Series, I have only seen the anime. However, I can tell you that I knew most of the Super Iconic Servants instantly without having to see their abilities. ((Saber I knew instantly, along with Lancelot and Herc since they oozed their characters from their respective legends. Lancelot was actually the easiest for me, since his NP that made anything his NP was such a sure-fire clue to who he was if you knew anything of Arthurian Legend. [which I do lol.]))

Basically, what I am saying is, not only when making a servant for yourself, do you not have to make them op as heck, you need them to fit who they are in their legends. I imagine that is a super hard task and would be tough for anybody to just do without a lot of research.

Another problem with using the respective figment of legend is that there could be many different interpretations of these characters and who they were, what made them legends and such. This could lead to some confusion as to why who has what NP