I can't choose which starter! Closed! Popplio won!

Nue

K, this is my first run through I really can't choose between these guys:

Decidueye

Primarina

Torterra

I know most people just use Speed Boost Blaziken but I wanna use a different starter for once so of the above who's the best?

Edited by Nue

Guest Relinquished

Why don't you try out, Magician Delphox? Early item thief, plus fire and psychic is an ideal typing in Reborn and against its content (enemy trainers, leaders, etc).

Before gen 7 implementation too, it was also a one way ticket Roflstomp, against both first 2 gyms (it's still useful, though, but quite a bit less).

2 hours ago, GS BALL said:

Why don't you try out, Magician Delphox? Early item thief, plus fire and psychic is an ideal typing in Reborn and against its content (enemy trainers, leaders, etc).

Before gen 7 implementation too, it was also a one way ticket Roflstomp, against both first 2 gyms (it's still useful, though, but quite a bit less).

Well I kinda hope to use Gardevoir or Alolan Raichu later on whenever I can get them.  My Pokemon OCD doesn't like having two pokemon with the same types on the same team.

Though you do add on another great starter to use...

The 3 of them are very interesting , but most of people here will probably say primarina , which is probably the best option cause water/fairy dual type is strong indeed : only 3 weakness for 7 resists.

Imo, a good starter it's mudkip, swampert suffers only 1 weakness easily covered by flying types, like Fearow or Pidgeot, easily foundable at the begin of the game.

If i should choose between Decidueye Primarina and Torterra, i would go for Decidueye

I'd say Primarina (not at all because it's my favorite starter and I'm biased or something, nonononono). but considering you don't want a type dupe and you wanna use Gardevoir, Decidueye would be your best bet. May the Greatest Archer of Great Britain aid your in your Quest, MAAARRRRK NUUUUUUTTTTTTT

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I'd say Primarina (not at all because it's my favorite starter and I'm biased or something, nonononono). but considering you don't want a type dupe and you wanna use Gardevoir, Decidueye would be your best bet. May the Greatest Archer of Great Britain aid your in your Quest, MAAARRRRK NUUUUUUTTTTTTT

I'm open to using Primarina due to just switching to Raichu as my Psychic user. It just depends with who I start with. But I may choose Primarina if it has so many resistances.  It just comes down to Grass type or good water type first.

Just now, Nue said:

I'm open to using Primarina due to just switching to Raichu as my Psychic user. It just depends with who I start with. But I may choose Primarina if it has so many resistances.  It just comes down to Grass type or good water type first.

as much as I love Primarina, using Gardevoir over Alolan Chu would be the better idea. More potential Synergy (like with Magnezone and Mamo) and such. Plus, ghost types are quite Scarce in Reborn, so having a good one right off the bad is never a bad thing

as much as I love Primarina, using Gardevoir over Alolan Chu would be the better idea. More potential Synergy (like with Magnezone and Mamo) and such. Plus, ghost types are quite Scarce in Reborn, so having a good one right off the bad is never a bad thing

So Torterra is out of running.

Now its down to the Owl or the Seal.

Having a ghost type would be nice as well.

Question without major spoilers...of the Owl and the Seal which one can you get first in story or side quests? I know starters can be found in game but no clue where or which ones can.  (Can you even get them in the current release?)

that I have no idea about, actually

K, Have one more thing to decide between them...

Is Energy Ball or any good special grass move tm in the game? Owl has makes a good mix attacker and I'd rather not waste it on not having any special moves.

2 minutes ago, Nue said:

K, Have one more thing to decide between them...

Is Energy Ball or any good special grass move tm in the game? Owl has makes a good mix attacker and I'd rather not waste it on not having any special moves.

again, I don't really know. sorry that I'm not much help

2 hours ago, TheVentusX said:

i don´t know when you can catch popplio but rowlet is catchable only far late in the story (after 14th badge)

Hmm wonder if it would spoil to much if I look up when/if I can get a Popplio.  Don't want the storyline to be spoiled to much.

They may as well be right next to each other...

Would it be cheap to ask someone to give me a Rowlet also? Cause thinking I'm going with the Seal cause of the resistances but I also need a good ghost type if what you say about no good ghosts in the game is true

you can get popplio after you come back from agate circus while rowlet is available after you beat the fairy leader 

well i always give my decidueye physical attacks because its ability makes physical moves into special (like if you use leaf blade on a pokemon with rough skin it wont take damage)

i dont know which pokemon i should choose but for me i always choose starter that is not available in the game (torchic,froakie,snivy,oshawot/litten)

If you are looking for a good ghost how is it with Alolan-Marowak (fire/ghost) ? You can get Cubone before 5th gym and it evolve at lvl 28 at night to his Alolan evolution. BUT it becomes only a real Powerhouse if you get a cubone holding thick Club which doubles his Attack power. Altough it only has 5% to hold it if you bring a pokemon with combound eyes like joltik/dustox/yanma/venonat/scatterbug at the top of you team it will be 20%

2 hours ago, TheVentusX said:

If you are looking for a good ghost how is it with Alolan-Marowak ? You can get Cubone before 5th gym and it evolve at lvl 28 at night to his Alolan evolution. BUT it becomes only a real Powerhouse if you get a cubone holding thick Club which doubles his Attack power. Altough it only has 5% to hold it if you bring a pokemon with combound eyes like joltik/dustox/yanma/venonat/scatterbug it will be 20%

Well. The Seal has officially won then. So I guess I'm resetting for a Modest nature then?

good idea or if you want more more defense against physical take bold/ against special take calm

Also another clue if you go after A-Marowak: after evolving it reset its Lvl to 10 with common candys if you dont want to use your heart scales for it`s STAB attacks it will be a great help against the 5th leader if you learn his Stomping Tantrum at lvl 43( or lvl 37 as Cubone)

Oh and btw Decidueye is not a mixed attacker - he has a higher attack stat than special attack, and learns Leaf Blade + Spirit Shackle (signature, and you can get his own Z-stone to upgrade it) + Sucker Punch + Brave Bird naturally in terms of attack moves, and even more through TMs like if you want Acrobatics and no item instead of Brave Bird recoil, or Roost/Synthesis instead of Brave Bird or Sucker Punch. His main set in competitive play includes Swords Dance and no Brave Bird, but he doesn't learn that naturally or through breeding and there's no TM for it yet in the game.

I've had a run with both Torterra and Primarina and while Torterra is great with it's bulk and no-crit ability, Primarina has more power behind it, especially since it tends to rain more in the region and Shelly will still setup the rain for you with her Prankster mons. The only difficulty is with Florinia (there's lots of Flying type and Fighting type options for that, though) and Corey (Lycanroc can help cover that).