Pokemon Glory (in development once again)

Swamp King

I'm sorry...I wrote that without thinking. It's not that they don't look like pokemon; it's just...I don't know. I guess they look a bit rugged or uneven. I think that's what is bothering me. But i'm sure that will be fixed later on in development. And I don't have any problems with fakemon. I think it's very nice that fans are making their own pokemon and a lot of them look like they'd fit right into the Pokemon world. But there is also a stigma surrounding them as well. So it's hard to look at them without comparing them to actual pokemon. These designs do look good though. My favourite is the grass bear starter. It looks kinda goofy and cool at the same time!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments! We are constantly working on our pokemon making any necessary changes that can make them look better!

The ones that have followed our progress already know how different the starters are compared to when we first posted them! So I hope we will reach a point where the designs of our pokemon will be liked by the majority of you guys!!

Thanks for the support and keep following for more updates!

• 1 month later...

woah, it's been a long time since we updated this thread! But don't worry! We haven't stopped working on this project. Over the last month the development was slower because of real life, but we are back at it again!

So, for this update, I have some early encounters for you:

image.png.5b2ccd17d0a8c1bbc584d5076e6ea4e8.png

originally, the bat had a different color but we decided to give it a more vampiric look!

As for the frog, it doesn't actually wear a suit. It's the coloration of its belly like that.

So, what are your thoughts on them? Would you feel bad when attacking our business frog?

Also, I would like to present to you our first Gym Leader!

image.png.b77fd2dfb3db93ceba86ba512b80bc9b.png

Once a gangster, now a gym leader. Hatori left his old life back and climbed his way up to become one of the most respected individuals in his city. His battle style though hasn't changed. It remains merciless! You'd better not underestimate him!

I don't want to spoil too much about him since a lot of things will be revealed in the game. You can make guesses on what type of pokemon he uses and stuff like that if you want :)

In our game, gyms won't necessarily be one-type exclusive. Some Gym Leaders may use more than one type of pokemon.

We are trying to keep the battles hard and fair at the same time. Expect lots of custom field effects!

Finally, I would like your opinion on this:

image.png.5afdae3a9a4a4798729509dba33c0897.png

left or right? We have asked a lot of people this question and we don't have a clear winner yet...

Whichever is the final choice, @Felcatty will be credited for her suggestion and coloration of the sprite.

Anyway, we hope to keep you updated more often from now on :)

Edited by groniack

The spoiler is just quoting @groniack since half the words on my end got cut off for some reason. So its really only for my benefit of seeing the sentences whole as I type this.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, groniack said:

woah, it's been a long time since we updated this thread! But don't worry! We haven't stopped working on this project. Over the last month the development was slower because of real life, but we are back at it again!

So, for this update, I have some early encounters for you:

image.png.5b2ccd17d0a8c1bbc584d5076e6ea4e8.png

originally, the bat had a different color but we decided to give it a more vampiric look!

As for the frog, it doesn't actually wear a suit. It's the coloration of its belly like that.

So, what are your thoughts on them? Would you feel bad when attacking our business frog?

Also, I would like to present to you our first Gym Leader!

image.png.b77fd2dfb3db93ceba86ba512b80bc9b.png

Once a gangster, now a gym leader. Hatori left his old life back and climbed his way up to become one of the most respected individuals in his city. His battle style though hasn't changed. It remains merciless! You'd better not underestimate him!

I don't want to spoil too much about him since a lot of things will be revealed in the game. You can make guesses on what type of pokemon he uses and stuff like that if you want :)

In our game, gyms won't necessarily be one-type exclusive. Some Gym Leaders may use more than one type of pokemon.

We are trying to keep the battles hard and fair at the same time. Expect lots of custom field effects!

Finally, I would like your opinion on this:

image.png.5afdae3a9a4a4798729509dba33c0897.png

left or right? We have asked a lot of people this question and we don't have a clear winner yet...

Whichever is the final choice, @Felcatty will be credited for her suggestion and coloration of the sprite.

Anyway, we hope to keep you updated more often from now on :)

Ahhh cute bat it's adorbs I'm in love, I like the vampiric look

As for the frog, regardless of whether the suit is real I think the concept is interesting. Would I feel bad for attacking it? No not at all.

Criticism wise:

With the bat, is the yellow colouration on its feet supposed to represent shoes? I don't exactly hate it but for some reason my eyes are drawn there. Maybe the stomach could be 'rounder' Honestly I find it hard to fault.

The frog; the blue colouration for the underside of the lip is quite bright, I'd recommend making it darker with a lower saturation, the same can also be said for the blue on the toes. I think it works well with the face but not with the rest of the body. I think some of the outlines could be darker as well in some places, more around the feet I think:

Spoiler

5ade7fa442820_image_png_5b2ccd17d0a8c1bbc584d5076e6ea4e8edit.png.79e061bfc4806b3af9f38b79b411c79e.png

I like the gym leader's design as well, I think the outline for the hair could be a bit darker, or not all the same shade. As for typing, Grass and bug seem obvious so let's change some things up and I'll guess: I'll still go with grass but also ground as well

First up, thanks for the credit, I didn't mind if you used it since was just a suggestion for colour, but again thanks. I probably like the sprite on the right just because I like the spots being lighter and more pronounced, but now I need to criticize myself by saying I left purple outline on the tail and ears. You really don't know when you make a mistake until you see it again after not seeing it in a while.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Felcatty said:

The spoiler is just quoting @groniack since half the words on my end got cut off for some reason. So its really only for my benefit of seeing the sentences whole as I type this.

Reveal hidden contents

Ahhh cute bat it's adorbs I'm in love, I like the vampiric look

As for the frog, regardless of whether the suit is real I think the concept is interesting. Would I feel bad for attacking it? No not at all.

Criticism wise:

With the bat, is the yellow colouration on its feet supposed to represent shoes? I don't exactly hate it but for some reason my eyes are drawn there. Maybe the stomach could be 'rounder' Honestly I find it hard to fault.

The frog; the blue colouration for the underside of the lip is quite bright, I'd recommend making it darker with a lower saturation, the same can also be said for the blue on the toes. I think it works well with the face but not with the rest of the body. I think some of the outlines could be darker as well in some places, more around the feet I think:

Hide contents

5ade7fa442820_image_png_5b2ccd17d0a8c1bbc584d5076e6ea4e8edit.png.79e061bfc4806b3af9f38b79b411c79e.png

I like the gym leader's design as well, I think the outline for the hair could be a bit darker, or not all the same shade. As for typing, Grass and bug seem obvious so let's change some things up and I'll guess: I'll still go with grass but also ground as well

First up, thanks for the credit, I didn't mind if you used it since was just a suggestion for colour, but again thanks. I probably like the sprite on the right just because I like the spots being lighter and more pronounced, but now I need to criticize myself by saying I left purple outline on the tail and ears. You really don't know when you make a mistake until you see it again after not seeing it in a while.

haha, the purple pixels are my bad, forgot to remove them the previous time you mentioned it :)

So about the bat... you find it cute? Lol, I tried my best to make it look intimidating! Don't let its looks fool you. It's a really cunning pokemon! 

Spritingwise: Do you think changing the color on its feet to gray (like the color of its belly) would be better?

Spoiler

image.png.0e26af89fbfdc357a035fcb066b7ee6a.png

I also made some edits on its body. Tell me if it looks better this way

As for the frog, thanks for the good job! We may end up keeping it the way you posted it. Love it!

When I said that the Gym Leaders might use more than one certain type I wasn't necessarily speaking for this one. But who knows. You might have got it right :)

Anyway, thanks for the quality feedback again! You have been a huge help so far!

@groniack 

ughhh well sorry I still find it cute, it probably is intimidating in some way but to me personally I find it cute and I want one. The bat will definitely be something that I use in a playthrough. Although even though I do find it cute, I think the vampiric look also makes it cool.

Sprite wise, again I didn't hate the yellow, but maybe you could get more than just my opinion, honestly I think I like the white better but if more people prefer the yellow I'd be fine with it. I do like the rounder body now, but again it's just my opinion. one out of however many you guys get (I hope you get a lot).

You know maybe I find it cute because of its round body shape...

I'm glad you liked the touched up frog, I wanted to get my post out before I had to leave for uni so I thought I might have rushed it a bit when I was trying to express what I meant.

Keep up the great work guys; doing awesome :) 

Hey guys! It's been quite some time since I last posted here! So here we are back with a new update!

Having lived in the ancient times, science has given these pokemon the chance to start anew centuries after their fossilization!

These fossils lived during different times! The emergence of the one meant the end of the other!

One is a fearsome predator hunting during the night while the other is a calm herbivore that has developed great defenses to protect itself from threats!

Despite all the contradictions between them, Ankor region has accepted them and provided them shelter and a chance to coexist!

Now finally scientists and anyone interested in the past can actually reach to a conclusion about which is more fearsome, Dislash's claws or Arcrino's shell?

Spoiler

image.png.c8eb60c8d0670dea6d0b12ae0e32fa34.png

@Swamp King

Was going to reply sooner, unfortunately I'm suffering from a cold right now but I want to get my thoughts off my chest

I really like Dislash's line (I would love to know if there was an origin concept for it because it just looks really cool and I want one), oddly enough I like the fact that it has two claws instead of three, usually having an odd number of something looks more appealing but in this case I would have to disagree because those two claws just complete it quite nicely.

As for the other one, it's just one of those meh times for me, but I still like its design, we need more rhino pokemon

Criticisms: (I would edit to help show what I mean, but I feel like dirt...null)

My only issue with them is that the black outlines are too prominent, I feel like some parts could be lighter. This is more towards the rhino line. Also it might just be me but the stone on the leg near mouth kinda makes it look like it's sticking its tongue out. (Please note: I am delusional while typing this...) 

The baby Dislash is actually fine though, I don't believe it needs anything. I think the outline of the claws in the final evo could be darkened slightly just to distinguish between them better. I think the back kinda looks funny, is it meant to rugged, if it is I like it, if not maybe make it more curved (?)

Great work guys null

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DemICE thanks a lot! Hope we continue bringing pokemon of the same quality.

@Felcatty have a nice recovery! I hope you get better soon.

I agree with everything you said! Dislash's design is based on a therizinosaurus. It's not a very popular dino species, so we thought it needed some more love 🙂

As for the rock on the leg near the rhino's head... I will never see this one the same way lol.

anyway, we were thinking of altering the outlines a little but too for the rhino line. It's nice that you mentioned that.

thanks a bunch!!

Edited by groniack
  • Thanks 1

@DemICE Thank you! ευχαριστούμε πολύ!

Have you checked the starter pokemon yet? If not you should definitely take a look at them!

@Felcatty  Oh! I hope you get better soon enough! Having a cold sucks! Have a swift recovery!

As for dislash, I tried making the back more curved but it didn't look right to me and then I changed it to what it is now and I really liked it 🙂 So I'll keep it like this!

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions and it means more to us since you bothered to aid us despite the cold you have! Thank you again 😉

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates lately. We have been busy studying since exams are approaching for us 😞  But that doesn't mean we don't have anything to update!

We have some new fakemon to introduce to you. Check them out:

Spoiler

image.png.b9b3483948c6599cd59572c2b3546c32.png

This line is based on a dragonfly. The first stage is a worm, the second one is a worm which tried to break out of its cocoon too soon while the third one is the fully evolved dragonfly!

Spoiler

image.png.e60825ce79d5275438eb9076a55b0075.png

The first stage is of this line is a little ant. Upon its evolution it gains armor to protect itself.

Lot's of bug Pokemon 😄 If you are a bug lover rejoice! If you are not... well... you should avoid going to the grass since there will be lots of them.

On another note, we will probably be quiet busy for a while so updates will come less often 😞

Thank you for the support till now! And a review of the above ones will be appreciated!

@groniack@Swamp King

Thank you for the kind words when I was sick; appreciated 😌

Eughhh exams.....I know how you feel I have mine starting next week too. Good luck to everyone ^,^

As for the Pokémon:

I love the dragonfly line, I'm getting electric/dragon or electric/bug vibes from it but definitely electric.

The ant line intrigues me; it's not something I'd see as a Pokémon but you guys have done a great job in it's design.

Criticisms:

Honestly, not a lot

the only thing I can say about the dragonfly line is that maybe the bottom right wing could be a little more rounded like the others; unless it's intentional

As for the ant line I can't find faults with it, it's really well done

Compared to when you guys first started, these are major improvements; shows how far you've come

Once again good luck with everything

Keep up the awesome work ^,^

• Like 2

Good luck with your exams as well 😄

You guessed right! the dragonfly is indeed a bug+electric mon. I see what you mean with the wing and I agree. We will get that fixed.

Thanks, as always, for your support! It's been really helpful and has helped us improve a lot 🙂

So, I just read through this topic. 

First of all I have to say I'm really impressed with the sprites. I can really see how much you guys improved in terms of making them. The sprites on the first page were a bit off at times, but there's hardly anything wrong with the most recent ones. Great improvement! And I really like the final evolution of the water starter. 

I really like the dragonfly line, it looks great! Just two things: the line has two 'spikes' on the head. With the first evolution it looks like the 'spikes' are meant to be ears. But looking at the other two, they're clearly not meant to be ears. Maybe it's just me, but I thought I'd mention it. Also, one paw of the final evolution seems kinda weirdly placed? The most visible one, I think I'd place it higher up the body, near the head. 

As for the ant line: for me the two evolutions are a little bit too different, so it feels like they're not part of the same line (again, might just be me). And you could consider adding feelers to their heads? (but that's just an idea and not necessary).

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot! It's great to see that our hard work pays off 🙂The water starter is my favorite too! (That's why I have it as a cover mon for now)

For the dragonfly line: The spikes are not ears, they are supposed to be spikes like the ones the next forms have. But I guess the placement of them give the feel them being ears. We will work on it since we weren't ourselves completely satisfied with how the first stage came out. Maybe that's the reason!

Also good point on the leg. Feels somewhat off and somewhat right at the same time 😞

For the ants, I agree with what you said. The second stage is more like a stag beetle than an ant. But we have seen more weird evolution lines in pokemon, haven't we 😃?

To tell you the truth, I had completely forgotten about feelers. I will try adding them and if it turns out better, we will update it here.

Anyway, thank you for your post! Glad you liked our work! We have a lot more fakemon to come!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, how have you all been? Exams are almost over for us so I have a little bit more time to work on the game 🙂

When I got some free time during this period, I worked on some features for the game coding-wise. The one I would like to talk about is the trainer class feature that's mentioned in the first post of this thread.

For those who are not familiar with this feature, here is what it does:

Spoiler

1. In this game, trainers have also stats which allow them to interfere more in a battle by giving extra orders to their pokemon.

2. By defeating other trainers, (not wild pokemon) you can raise your stats.

3. Another way to raise your stats is by using some special items called "skill points".

4. Every trainer in the game have their own stats, not only you!

5. You can gain stats in 4 different categories called "Trainer Classes". Each class allows you to use a different order in battle.

6. The original "Trainer Classes" are: Attacker, Defender, Disruptor, Racer (There are some differences with the first post but they are pretty much the same). We will explain what each class does later).

7. The orders will have a certain chance to be issued. So the feature is a bit based on luck, but it gives some nice bonuses in battle!

This pretty much sums up what we originally had planned for this feature. But... we decided to add some more things 🙂

1. Combination Skills: If you reach a certain level in two or more different classes, you will have access to some special orders in battle.

2. Pokemon Stat increase: Something like the badge system, where when you gain some badges, you get a slight boost in some stats.

3. The more stats you have in a certain class, the more powerful the effect will get in battle. (the original idea was to just boost the chance of the order to be issued but we decided this idea was better)

You can view your stats from your trainer card. Here is a prototype for that:

image.png.e9e7b7a065779dda4113da11af9a2414.png

Any thoughts and comments on the idea would be really appreciated!

@groniack

Good luck to you all with the rest of your exams. I only had exams on two days in the first week so I've been on break ever since 😉

So I don't remember how well detailed I went when I commented on the skill system last time, so sorry if I repeat myself, but if I remember correctly I don't think I commented on points 2-4 so:

I like that it's done only with trainer battles so it doesn't get overly spammed with wild battles, not that wild battles are fun after certain periods of time

Skill points remind me a lot of the bottle caps in [(ultra)] sun and moon

I like that other trainers have them too, it would definitely take the challenge out of it if only the player had them

As for the new points:

1. That sounds pretty interesting, I do have some questions

- are there different sp. skills based on which skills you choose to lv up or are they set in stone? e.g. would lv. up attack and defender be different to attack and racer? would this lead you to getting all sp. skills eventually? (sorry if this doesn't make sense)

2. Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's a nice addition to a unique system but I don't think that it's entirely necessary.

- If you guys are implementing gyms, I think the time and space between gyms would be a variable, considering how that system works vs. your system. Too many trainers between gyms might make it too easy in a sense. So do the number of trainers from point A to point B outweigh the bonus from the gym reward? (I don't think I'm making sense, but thank you for reading anyway)

- If you aren't implementing gyms, I think that it's a good way to provide players with those stat increases

- I also feel like it wouldn't make too much of difference though; I'm probably contradicting myself at this point

3. I like that you have a power effect rather than a luck effect. The closer it would get to 100% accuracy the more likely it is that battles won't become much of a challenge; although with my luck even if you had it at 99.99% I would never get it 😜 (games hate players)

I think the trainer card layout looks quite clean and simple, so I quite like what you've done so far 🙂 

Well this was long (sorta), sorry if point 2 was confusing.

Keep doing great work guys 🙂 

Once again, good luck with the rest of your exams✌️

• Thanks 1

@Felcatty Thanks! I only have one exam left and I will finally be free!!

Woah! That's a really detailed response. I love it! 🙂

To answer your questions now:

1. Yeah, the special skills will be different. For example if you level up Attacker and Defender you will get a skill that when you get hit you have a chance of returning some damage back to your opponent. Attacker and racer will give you an effect like parental bond on mega Kangashkan.

As for the other thing you said, that's also correct. If you manage to master everything, you will get all the special skills. But don't think it's unfair 🙂 The strongest trainers in the game will also have a lot of things mastered.

2. I think I didn't word it correctly here. I meant that it will be similar to the gym system in the sense of having a small boost in the stats. The actual way of gaining the stats would be to reach a certain level in a class. Like if you reach level 50 in the attacker class, all your pokemons' attack and special attack will be boosted.

Thanks a lot for the comments on the feature! In the future we will post a more detailed guide on the system. Like what each class does, what combos can be achieved, when you get your boosts in stats and stuff like that. Most of the things I talked about are already implemented in the game but might changed based on the opinions we get 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So exams are over! That means we got some time to work on the game 🙂

We did a lot of things and the game is coming along nicely! Our main focus for now is eventing and testing up to a certain point. But that doesn't mean the game is close to having its first release... Many things need to be done. Spriting alone takes a lot of time... those backsprites for the new pokemon have been quite troublesome and time-consuming...

On another note, I would like to announce that we are adding items that will replace the HMs. So you won't be forced to have an HM slave in your team. I have added some of them, mostly those that will be available in the first release. I will figure out how to script the rest later on!

Bonus sprites! Here are some fakemon we have been working on:

Spoiler

image.png.338a4d138c4897741f5b8791a1509171.png

1st stage, Puppyrain: A playful puppy that enjoys riding big waves. Surfing is its favorite activity.

2nd stage, Jedog: It wanders around in old, abandoned ports waiting to meet an old-school sailor to lead it to new adventures.

image.png.6d304196419e91bcd91282395705d1b7.png

Still thinking about the names. You can make some suggestions if you want. It would be a huge help 🙂 Their theme is a saber-tooth. 

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Hopefully we can update more regularly during the summer. So what are your thoughts on all these? 

@groniack congrats on finishing your exams

I love it when games replace the hm slave, as much as I love having a bibarel/pelliper on my team it's just a waste of space

Puppies are adorbs, always, that's just a win right there

Saber-tooth cats love em, I love diego in ice age, only character I like in that movie (no offence). I love the armour on it, definitely gives it a fierce look. My initial thoughts before reading was a cougar/puma (thought they were different animals, apparently they're the same....I'm ashamed I didn't know that) so I thought, couten and satoogar .... look I'm no good at names, that was just mindless fun. Nearly every dark type pokemon, I call it midnight, umbreon; midnight, zoroark; midnight, except absol, that's crescent or celeste depending on the gender... I'm not original is the point I'm trying make. 😜 

critisisms;

My main issue is the outline on jedog, the purple tuffs of fur have blue outline (collar, tail, head). I don't know what your going for with the fins, the blue looks a little off for the veins, my only suggestion here would be to try and make them bigger so that the blue can be its own thing, taking another look at it though it may be an issue with the highlight. The blue vein doesn't become lighter with the shading and it just stays flat so it looks a little off, maybe the fins just need a little more shading. Something is putting me off there. The lower half is really light, I think the claws really need a black/dark blue outline. I also feel like the leg 'breaks' away from the body with the dark-light-dark outline, I think just one outline for it would make it look a little better or just darken some of what you already have. I feel like the collar is also a little jagged at the front, but maybe that's just me. Jeez I've really ripped this one apart, sorry.

As for the saber, I love it, my only issue with it is that final evo's tail seems too wavy or too jagged that it appears unnatural. That's all I got.

Keep up the great work guys 😄 

• Thanks 1

@Felcatty Haha, don't worry about ripping the designs apart, that's a good thing for us 🙂 That really help us improve. We were already feeling that something was off with jedog, so thanks for pointing all these things out! I agree with what you said about the sabertooth's tail, too. We will try to get all that fixed.

As for the names you suggested, I personally really like them! We will discuss them and we might include them in the game! 

Thank you for all your help! It's really appreciated! 

I am in the difficult position to announce that this project will be put on hiatus for the time being... Real life can hit you hard in the most unexpected ways and times. These are really tough times for me and my brother. I hope time solves everything.

We will definitely not forget this project and we will get right back at it when everything settles back.