RedAlert's Grass Monotype [Previous Gym: Serra]

RedAlert

7 minutes ago, Orasha said:

Great work so far! Serra will definitely be a pain, but with Grassy Terrain and the ability to make a rainbow, you can hopefully negate her field's critical hits and the miss chance. :D 

It's at times like these I realize how stupid I am. Of course, the terrain, they're what that have been carrying me through this! :D

Thank you 

Edited by RedAlert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aya wasn't hard as I said though your strategy was different. I just recently defeated her in reborn hardcore grass mono with a ferothorn,ludicolo and exegcutor taking down her team without any help of course in normal reborn there is no chance to get a ferothorn . Now it's Serra get your cacturne and breloom ready

2 minutes ago, rayyan said:

Aya wasn't hard as I said though your strategy was different. I just recently defeated her in reborn hardcore grass mono with a ferothorn,ludicolo and exegcutor taking down her team without any help of course in normal reborn there is no chance to get a ferothorn . Now it's Serra get your cacturne and breloom ready

Yes, you did say that, I in fact was about to mention you but it must have slipped my mind.

A Ferrothorn would help me so much, especially in the upcoming gym...

9 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

It's at times like these I realize how stupid I am. Of course, the terrain, they're what that have been carrying me through this! :D

Thank you 

No problem! Terrain setters are godsends in monotype runs, especially in Reborn :P 

PART 9: Sigmund, Bennett and the Ice Model Serra!

Last time the pictures were a pain to screenshot and upload and were also the cause of major confusions. So like always, I'll be copying @Jess and using videos for the main battles.

Alright, let's get to it. First thing to do once we're done with Aya is to meet up with Cain in the abandoned Railnet. From there we take the single available path open to us, to the Yureyu Building. After double-battling our way through there (and Cain graciously healing us up each time no matter how stupid we are), we come across the doctor himself!

PS: Apologies about the videos first-hand, I was playing at night so I had the volume muted. I really don't like the Yureyu music very much. N-n-not that I was scared, seriously!

VS. Sigmund Connal

Spoiler

Pretty easy battle, and victory on the first and second try (I recorded the second try only)

Well, we save the damn kids, fix up the railroads and finally get access to the Move Tutor! We also gain a temporary home in a Hidden Cove, residence of the sisters (this seems eerie, but I don't really know their second names). We're asked to go get medicine as well, because that's what we are - slaves to kids' desires, so we head on over to Spinel Town. In the process, I meet and train up a couple new, very strong members:

image.png

image.png

Finally, a Stealth Rock setter! I traded over my Armaldo from my main game and bred it with another Cradily to get this grill, hopefully she does well!

image.png

image.png

Probably my Grassy Terrain setter for this gym, Jumpluff will be quite difficult to use here...

My nicknames are getting worse as the series progresses...

Anyways, as we all know for a long time, Spinel Town has been experiencing very strange phenomenons (which we later find out the cause for, of course). After helping a random lady with her things and getting an EXP Share and a Good Rod, we head on over to the Voclain Estate, home to gym leader Serra and her socially awkward kid, Bennett. This guy... anyways, more definitely shady characters walk in and say random stuff that is not important for now, so let's go get our next badge!

Bennett jumps in on us though, and challenges us to a battle with his unfairly advantaged bug-types, also unfair because of the stupid field effects. It doesn't help that all his mons are super fast as well, confusing and critical hitting all over the place. Apparently he "requests" battles with all his mother's challengers? What a fucking annoying piece of -gah.

VS. Bennett

Spoiler

This battle took me like 3 tries, I think, thanks to Jumpluff confusing and hitting itself 3 times in a row. I also completely forgot to Ability Capsule Cradily, which would've made this battle a hell of a lot easier.

Anyways, down to the gym badge, finally! No interruptions this time! I didn't get ones that I thought I'd use - Sawsbuck: it has pretty weak Sp. Defense and needs chlorophyll to be at its prime; Leafeon: not fast enough and lacks coverage; Roserade: makes the gym too easy sometimes, teaching it Nature Power --> Mirror Shot outsped and oneshotted almost all of her mons when I tried her, but ended up in her leveling up all the way to 52.

GYM #8 - vs. SERRA

Spoiler

Cacturne is the MVP.

I made a couple of heavy misplays here, I think they're fairly evident and don't need mentioning. However, I will mention that I stupidly forgot that bringing in Aurorus cancelled out my rain which I totally forgot about, and I expected Ludicolo to move first like always. The Revive on Breloom tho... *shakes head sadly*

I was stupidly lucky with the last Sucker Punch, despite the double evasion by Frosslass, as the first couple of times, I missed 3 TIMES IN A ROW against Jynx, so I was already like "This is gonna miss"

One of the hardest battles I've had yet, since the ZEL+Taka team up. On most occasions, Nature Power --> Mirror Shot would keep missing and not getting reflected for some reason, while hers would 100% of the time hit or reflect on to my mons with increased power. Missing for her = increased power, yay. Also didn't help that the team I used to take her were mostly physical mons, so not only would I miss out on a huge chance while missing, recoil damage would be significant as well. I wonder if anybody has experimented with High Jump Kick in this field? *shudders*

Anyways, that's it for this part, I'll hopefully cover enough till Noel in the next part? Let's see.

Thank you for watching/reading!

Cacturne and Breloom for the win! Tough battles vs two of your weaknesses, Bug and Ice, well, 3 if we count luck as well, cause we all know how evasion works! -1 in accuracy means 100% of us missing, while a +1 in our evasion means jack shit for the opponents!

I yelled a bit "Nooooooo" when you used Sunny Day vs Larvesta to be honest, but phewwwwwww!

You could've EV trained Sawsbuck in Attack and Speed and utilize Chlorophyll with Cherrim's Sunny Day as well! Jump Kick/Nature power would hit super hard ;) Sawsbuck is a solid pokemon. Even if I forgot to give it Chlorophyll in our battle and got destroyed xD @RedAlert

I hope you keep going <3

32 minutes ago, Jess said:

I yelled a bit "Nooooooo" when you used Sunny Day vs Larvesta to be honest, but phewwwwwww!

I always forget, like a fool, what Sunny Day does to fire type mons. But I needed to use it 'cause Larvesta is always inclined to use Bug Bite however against Ludicolo who was the mon I planned to use to take it down, for two reasons - 1, Cradily is slower than all her mons and despite its supposedly good defenses, would get taken out in two hits; 2, I needed the rainbow field to negate the unfair as hell evasiveness field

38 minutes ago, Jess said:

You could've EV trained Sawsbuck in Attack and Speed and utilize Chlorophyll with Cherrim's Sunny Day as well! Jump Kick/Nature power would hit super hard ;) Sawsbuck is a solid pokemon. Even if I forgot to give it Chlorophyll in our battle and got destroyed xD @RedAlert

I did that, twice, and Sawsbuck died immediately thanks to evasion both times, and critical hit Signal Beams both times. Plus it's special defense is not so good, and against Serra that means a lot. And I've EV trained him already :P

I've been trying to quote a particular part of your message which has ridiculously taken the last half hour (on a phone), so apologies for the delay in reply

54 minutes ago, Jess said:

I hope you keep going <3

Reassuring, thank you. I will :)

2 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

I needed the rainbow field to negate the unfair as hell evasiveness field

Ohhh I see, this makes sense :) 

3 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

I did that, twice, and Sawsbuck died immediately thanks to evasion both times, and critical hit Signal Beams both times. Plus it's special defense is not so good, and against Serra that means a lot. And I've EV trained him already :P

Awww, that's sad. In my original run, Sawsbuck proved itself to be excellent, by OHKO'ing Aurorus with Jump Kick and Jynx with Megahorn. It fainted afterwards, but got Vanilluxe to red HP as well ;) 

Maybe my Sawsbuck hated the mirrors less than yours! xD

5 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Reassuring, thank you. I will :)

Yayyyyyy! :D 

18 minutes ago, Jess said:

Awww, that's sad. In my original run, Sawsbuck proved itself to be excellent, by OHKO'ing Aurorus with Jump Kick and Jynx with Megahorn. It fainted afterwards, but got Vanilluxe to red HP as well ;) 

Maybe my Sawsbuck hated the mirrors less than yours! xD

Not that I dislike Sawsbuck, it's a great Pokémon. I'd breed Swords Dance on to it if it were possible. Only thing is that i several others that are so, so good. I feel forced to keep Sceptile since it's my starter; Roserade and Breloom are two must-haves, Breloom being an OU tier monster; Jumpluff is amazing with Acrobatics, Grassy Terrain and U-Turn; Ludicolo is vital with rain dance swift swim and has good synergy with Cherrim's Sunny day for Rainbow field, who in turn can rely on solarbeam spam and leech seed. I could list more (Cacturne, that beautiful thing) but I'll spare you the details. At times, I do try to twist my team around a bit so as to let everybody have a chance but STAB Super effective damage makes for a real game-changer.

I will try to use him more in the future, however, I know he's good

17 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Not that I dislike Sawsbuck, it's a great Pokémon. I'd breed Swords Dance on to it if it were possible. Only thing is that i several others that are so, so good. I feel forced to keep Sceptile since it's my starter; Roserade and Breloom are two must-haves, Breloom being an OU tier monster; Jumpluff is amazing with Acrobatics, Grassy Terrain and U-Turn; Ludicolo is vital with rain dance swift swim and has good synergy with Cherrim's Sunny day for Rainbow field, who in turn can rely on solarbeam spam and leech seed. I could list more (Cacturne, that beautiful thing) but I'll spare you the details. At times, I do try to twist my team around a bit so as to let everybody have a chance but STAB Super effective damage makes for a real game-changer.

I will try to use him more in the future, however, I know he's good

I know what you mean. Sawsbuck was in OU at some point too, mostly thanks to Chlorophyll and Swords Dance. Breloom is good, but its Speed is godawful :( It kinda makes up for it with Technician priority Mach Punch, but it still won't kill anything that Fighting moves are neutral against. Plus, it is even more fragile than Sawsbuck and with even less coverage. Sawsbuck will be a godsend with its Megahorn vs Radomus' and Luna's Contrary Malamars too. Just give him the Wide Lens (since you don't have access to Life Orb) and it's a beast.

Cherrim's useful for Sunny Day, but it has fallen off hard enough to make it only useful to set up sun now... And, even though altering the field is useful sometimes, I don't think it is useful enough to counter the fact that you'll be battling 5v6 in every Gym with Cherrim in...

I love Cherrim's design though, so I enjoy seeing you having it in team :) Just consider setting up sun with Bellossom, so that you don't waste a turn of Cherrim. Bellossom can take a hit better and then you will be able to utilize Cherrim's attacking potential too!

Also, Jumpluff is more like a speedy Leech Seeder. Its attack is too low to be able to use Acrobatics effectively later in game. But can be used amazingly to Seed people, then U-turn out ;) 

If I'd suggest a mon, it would be Victreebel. Chlorophyll, huge Attack AND Special Attack, Nature Power and Knock Off. And Leaf Blade/Storm and Venoshock. Enough said.

Edited by Jess

36 minutes ago, Jess said:

I know what you mean. Sawsbuck was in OU at some point too, mostly thanks to Chlorophyll and Swords Dance. Breloom is good, but its Speed is godawful :( It kinda makes up for it with Technician priority Mach Punch, but it still won't kill anything that Fighting moves are neutral against. Plus, it is even more fragile than Sawsbuck and with even less coverage. Sawsbuck will be a godsend with its Megahorn vs Radomus' and Luna's Contrary Malamars too. Just give him the Wide Lens (since you don't have access to Life Orb) and it's a beast.

Cherrim's useful for Sunny Day, but it has fallen off hard enough to make it only useful to set up sun now... And, even though altering the field is useful sometimes, I don't think it is useful enough to counter the fact that you'll be battling 5v6 in every Gym with Cherrim in...

I love Cherrim's design though, so I enjoy seeing you having it in team :) Just consider setting up sun with Bellossom, so that you don't waste a turn of Cherrim. Bellossom can take a hit better and then you will be able to utilize Cherrim's attacking potential too!

Also, Jumpluff is more like a speedy Leech Seeder. Its attack is too low to be able to use Acrobatics effectively later in game. But can be used amazingly to Seed people, then U-turn out ;) 

If I'd suggest a mon, it would be Victreebel. Chlorophyll, huge Attack AND Special Attack, Nature Power and Knock Off. And Leaf Blade/Storm and Venoshock. Enough said.

I didn't know Sawsbuck was in OU :o

But tiers aside, I haven't found her to be good enough yet, and strangely enough, Breloom is tanking everything! In a previous discussion with @Gentleman Jaggi, i found that Breloom was able to take a Psychic from Lucario's AND a STAB Future Sight from Espeon. I wonder if I have a good set of IVs, should check. Also EV training in speed makes up for such problems, and it is fully capable of OHKOing a lot of mons with 90 BP Force Palm (thanks to Technician). But I'll definitely use Sawsbuck against Radomus!

And yes, I plan on using Victreebel in the near future, it's been very useful actually. Chlorophyll on it and maybe breeding weather ball on to it will Be very useful.

1 hour ago, RedAlert said:

I didn't know Sawsbuck was in OU :o

But tiers aside, I haven't found her to be good enough yet, and strangely enough, Breloom is tanking everything! In a previous discussion with @Gentleman Jaggi, i found that Breloom was able to take a Psychic from Lucario's AND a STAB Future Sight from Espeon. I wonder if I have a good set of IVs, should check. Also EV training in speed makes up for such problems, and it is fully capable of OHKOing a lot of mons with 90 BP Force Palm (thanks to Technician). But I'll definitely use Sawsbuck against Radomus!

And yes, I plan on using Victreebel in the near future, it's been very useful actually. Chlorophyll on it and maybe breeding weather ball on to it will Be very useful.

Yes, you can still outspeed stuff and tank stuff without problems, because you are still early in the game. Charlotte is the first leader that has perfect IVs AND 252 EVs in the proper places. So, if you try to tank a Psyshock by Espeon in the battle vs ZEL in Devon with Breloom, you will just get 200% annihilated. As for speed issues, you will start seeing them soon, since Breloom is only as fast as Victreebel and the Big Top Arena with boosted Acrobatics (and Mienshaos) is approaching ...

Edit: @RedAlert, yes, Sawsbuck has been in OU... http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/sawsbuck/ou/

Edited by Jess

2 hours ago, Jess said:

Yes, you can still outspeed stuff and tank stuff without problems, because you are still early in the game. Charlotte is the first leader that has perfect IVs AND 252 EVs in the proper places. So, if you try to tank a Psyshock by Espeon in the battle vs ZEL in Devon with Breloom, you will just get 200% annihilated. As for speed issues, you will start seeing them soon, since Breloom is only as fast as Victreebel and the Big Top Arena with boosted Acrobatics (and Mienshaos) is approaching ...

Edit: @RedAlert, yes, Sawsbuck has been in OU... http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/sawsbuck/ou/

Ooh interesting information, I never knew. Thank you for this! <3

Charlotte being the first EV trained leader is something to be really considered indeed, that explains why I was stumped while facing her the first time..

These videos took forever to upload, yayy internet collection. Also my laptop broke down, so I had to go back a couple saves and redo them! Hopefully, you enjoy them :)

PART 10: Meet More Meteors [Noel Gym Battle]

Having collected the medicine for Anna (and also one for a mysterious teleporting woman), we head back to the Hidden Cove. Anna turns out to be alright and insists on a gym battle, with which we are of course delighted. However, delays are inevitable, and we soon end up as a protector, this time, facing Sirius.

Spoiler

Victory on the first try, surprisingly. Team Meteor has grown weaker with passing playthroughs... although the Ultra Potions are super super super annoying

Despite defeating Sirius, the Meteorites (lol) are successful in the capture of Anna and Noel, although it has never made sense to me, as well as Laura. How. I don't get it. She's part of the Elite Four. Seriously, the game is so good but it's parts like these that I really hate - the world's strongest trainers end up being the most susceptible to stupid traps. Anyways, as we proceed in tracking down the kiddos, complications arise and we're off... this time fighting something else completely.

Spoiler

Alright, got a little luck here on the second try, did not on the first, in any case, we're transported back to where the Abra was, and without further ado, let's get into that!

Spoiler

Another first-try victory, although none too pleasing. I could have ended it long ago with perhaps a Mach Punch or a Sucker Punch from Cacturne but I wanted the EXP to fall on to some of the others, hence the delay.

All things done, cutscenes follow up with Saphira getting seemingly annihilated by Meteor Boss Lin, but who cares about that, we're about to get another badge!

GYM #9 - vs. NOEL

Spoiler

I'm always so bad at guessing the number of Ultra Potions the enemy has, and I also have such bad luck with paralysis, at the worst times. In any case, this was yet another victory on the first time, thanks to Cacturne's beautiful intervention. Lax Incense on Shrooms is working perfectly! :D

Anyways, thanks for watching! Next time, it's the Adventurine Region coming up next and we'll hopefully catch a couple new Pokemon! ;)

@RedAlert See, your Roserade's Extrasensory didn't OHKO Hitmontop. But Fern's Roserade would've OHKO'ed it. It always does.

Also, great job with the Spiky Shield of Cacturne on Swellow. Made it lose enough HP to be taken out with a Sucker Punch, well played.

And I admit, I kinda yelled "Jesus Christ, fuck off Noel with the parahax and the 46237892 Ultra Potions you used on this fat-ass bunny" :D Super annoying!

43 minutes ago, Jess said:

@RedAlert See, your Roserade's Extrasensory didn't OHKO Hitmontop. But Fern's Roserade would've OHKO'ed it. It always does. 

And a fully EV trained Modest natured Roserade as well...

But on the other hand, the fully EV trained Modest natured Roserade was able to outspeed Fern's, so there's that! :P (which will be shown in a later episode)

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

And a fully EV trained Modest natured Roserade as well...

But on the other hand, the fully EV trained Modest natured Roserade was able to outspeed Fern's, so there's that! :P (which will be shown in a later episode)

Thank you!

My Crobat explained to Fern's Roserade what true Speed means, at Fiore Mansion xD

Outsped and destroyed! Revenge granted! :D 

Felt so good <3

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

My Crobat explained to Fern's Roserade what true Speed means, at Fiore Mansion xD

Outsped and destroyed! Revenge granted! :D 

Felt so good <3

Just imagine if his Roserade had outsped that xD enough to rage quit the game, really

But the revenge part is pretty accurate. Can I interest you in the story of my wee little Sneasel? He tagged along the team thanks to his trainer's stupidity and went to Pyrous mountain and ended up facing Solaris' Garchomp. However, years later, his daughter through a Ditto bore a son through a Beartic, and that son had work to do. Double battle vs. Solaris and John,  Garchomp one-shotted with an Icicle Crash. Felt SO FUCKING GOOD

I know it's a shitty story but it will almost be etched in my heart... A grandson that truly avenged

On 29/07/2017 at 0:17 AM, Neco said:

Just a random reader who documanted his mono Grass too, but involuntarily paused it because of University. I'll make sure to read yours and probably continue mine in a few days (:

The same. Uni has been getting to me and the fact that my laptop went for repair and for some reason is not loading reborn saves (it's loading other saves, like rejuvenation) does not help. In addition, the down arrow key on my keyboard stopped working. God damn me if I have to fudging click the down arrow button on the onscreen keyboard everytime I have to walk downwards xD

I will come up with a solution for this eventually, but for now my runs are on pause. Apologies to anyone following this.

And yes, I follow your run. :)

Edited by RedAlert