Project Reroll: A One-off Adventure Idea. [Low Impact RP System]

Raindrop Valkyrie

Hello everybody, this is your friendly neighborhood RP Sensei; Hukuna. I have an idea that was brewing in my head not for a specific RP, but, for a new kind of RP to be played here on the forum. We have n shortage of Long term RPs, but what about some short hand ones? It would be good to have some small time RPs that promote more activity in this Sub-Forum and they would also be a useful teaching tool for newbies and just a way to have fun without a lot of player prep. So what am I purposing? Well, how about you read along below and Find out?

What is a One-off?

Well it would be important to know don't you think?

A One-off is a one time scenario made to be played by players in a single session. Like for example if playing Dungeons and Dragons, or another Tabletop Pen and Paper RPG that would be completed in a 4-5 hour play session. They are missions or goal that are limited in scope so that they can reasonably be completed in a single session or maybe up to 3. They are designed to be able to enjoy a spot of Roleplaying, but not having to commit to a large grandiose Campaign.

They are perfect for newer players as well, allowing them to get their feet wet without a huge commit of time or effort and that is one of the overall goals of Reroll.

What is Project Reroll?

Reroll will be a certain kind of RP that hosts should be able to prep for rather quickly and get players straight into the action of the RP. They should be a short amount of time maybe about 3-4 months in scope.

Hosts will create a generic world, or use one that they have created prior to house the Reroll in. Then they will make the Rerolls. The host will create Player Characters for the RP and post them along with the scenario for players to see. I will explain more about this lower down, but bare with me, it is one of the big points of this project and makes it light and easy to pick up.

How the host goes about assigning the PCs to their players is more or less up to them, whether by first come, first serve Basis, or by random assignment or whatever else they decide to do. Once PCs are assigned, the scenario should be able to begin and get people getting into the action really quickly.

Why have the host create the PCs and not the players themselves?

Here are some bullet points explaining why I think this will be the best system.

- No emotional strings attached. One Shots are meant to be quick fast paced games, and the least attachment to the character the better. These characters won't be around long, so the more time a Player would spend creating them the more attached they would get to something that will not be long term. This will make them less willing to do just crazy stuff and try to keep their character alive until the end etc... So, the less they care about the time that went into creating the character, the more likely they are to be spontaneous and more willing to try crazy stunts.

- Ease of starting. For new players getting into RPing for the first time, making their own character can be frightening and a steep slope to climb. If being assigned a character, they have a little less to worry about and can get their feet wet without worrying if they made a good character, or trying to keep that character alive. They can play without worry of making mistakes because the character is more or less disposable. One Shots just end when the party wipes or loses way too many members to continue and that just shows how invaluable these characters are. They are the perfect way to feel your way around Roleplaying because it doesn't matter if they bite the dust. It gives room to experiment and learn.

- Easy Experimentation. This was partially explained above. But even veteran players will get to mess around with things and not feel like they wasted a bunch of time if they character bites the dust. Maybe they just try and scratch the itch of playing something new, or playing a new personality type for the first time. Ever wanted to play a crazy and rash barbarian that charged into all the fights without thinking? Maybe this is the time to try it when Character Death isn't very bad.

- On the Fly Character Playing. As the Great Philosopher Jagger once said, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well, you just might find, you get what you need. So, if forced to have a character, one has to be more creative, figure out the character they are given rather than tailor it to what they want. This promotes interesting problem solving skills and having to work with tools you might have never otherwise picked. It makes the dynamic different for every player and makes you have to react to a character who already have prescribed backstories and personalities. How much is true? Was the mysterious man who killed your character's family his UNCLE in disguise? Many interesting things can be made.

- A Balanced or Unbalanced Touch. The Host can tailor the party to suit the mission and give all the necessary tools. Or, he can not give all the necessary tools and force the players to improvise. ((I would highly advise you tell your players it is a game stacked against them at the ge tgo though. Nothing is more heartbreaking then realizing you had basically slim to none chances the whole time, but only just found out.)). The Host can balance the party in a way that is interesting for the players and have a more video game-esque feel like, like that everyone has their place on the team.

-Puzzles!!! When working with a fixed group of characters a Host can more easily create puzzle solving scenarios balanced ((or rigged against.)) the party. Some people like this type of thing in RPing, and it can really get those problem solving skills rolling and add an interesting dynamic that is a bit harder to pull off in other RPs.

Conclusion.

In short, Project Reroll is to get some Short term RPs kicking around the forums to get a bit more activity rolling around. They are meant for New Players and hell even new Hosts to be able to get their feet wet and try out new things or get started. It takes burden off players and gives new hosts an idea of what creating interesting characters is like ((as creating PCs for the players is like creating NPCs, but handing them over to the players to control.)) These need not be set in any specific campaign world, etc...

To denote a Reroll campaign, just place a [Reroll] tag in the description of your RP thread. ((Example [OOC/Reroll] for the Out of Character or [iC/Reroll] for the In Character. Sign-ups are up to the Hosts, but will most likely just be in the OOCs like normal. Hell less sign up is needed due to the Host Creation of the PCs.)).

So, what do ya'll think about this Idea? Do you think it will be good for the RP forums? Would anyone be interested in Hosting them or playing in them? Any ideas you think would improve the concept? Please comment below.

If you have any questions either ask them below or PM me them personally. ((don't bother Murdoc though, I kinda made this up without talking to him about it, so only I really know what is up with it lol.))

I have been Hukuna Sensei, and until we next me meet, Play more Roles` *puts finger at camera*. Yes I just Wil Wheaton'd you... what of it? *cuts a jig and runs out stage right.*

I think it's a great idea to be honest, don't see any real place the proposal could be improved, so... 10/10 would read again.

Quick question though; since these would be one shotters and not require nearly as long as a traditional Closed RP would to both create and play out, I'm guessing that Interest check threads won't be very necessary for these?

Hell, I might do a few of these in the future. Time to put Rajomaris and Reamica to a bit more use...

Hmmm... I might actually be able to participate in one of these, since the level of required commitment is somewhat lower... hmm...

Also, I assume that the notion of {Reroll} is that you can use the same setting and same characters in multiple rounds of RPing?

Yea, I mostly used the Term as you kinda Reroll characters every session as they are more or less not permanent, but, to also leave the option of Characters who didn't die to come back in another RP in another scenario if the host so wishes lol.

So in a sense yea you are right Acquie, but it is more because I wanted a catchy RP related name for it lol. ((GUILTY. *puts finger to his mouth and giggles.*))

You might get a better idea of what I mean when I get the Graterras one I plan on doing out.

((keep in mind characters are created by the Host in this, so there is very little player based prep.))

This is very much one of the ideas behind Project Reroll as well. They aren't as much of a time commitment so they should be easier to pop into then other RPs. This is the whole idea behind having the host write up the character etc... because it allows the players to just kinda slot in and enjoy the ride.

Ohh this is perfect.. Sensei you truly are a genius.. I salute you.. Plus this totally gives a chance to try out something I had in mind..

It is time for the Nonary Game RP!! Most of us must have played the game, and the reference in Reborn just had to have sparked some more curiosity.. May as well give this a shot.. I think it could even be Reborn/Pokemon based.. I am totally going to try working on this.. Though I would like some help.. So if anybody is interested please PM me..

Also I don't know if you all know the game Mafia, but I think it could fit in here quite well..

Hukuna-san, you just gave me an idea for Variants of this kind of RP: "Mix-and-Match"-style RPs. they're kind of a "Next Step Up" for the New Roleplayers, allowing them more customization options, but still not giving them free reign over making their Characters. It's also a good option for the Veterans who don't want to have to make up Abilities or Moves. here's the basis:

The Host makes the Character Classes and the Moves/Abilities, from which the Roleplayers choose for their Character. they start off with the Class, and then choose from the Moves/Abilities available for that Class.

Edited by K_H

Hukuna-san, you just gave me an idea for Variants of this kind of RP: "Mix-and-Match"-style RPs. they're kind of a "Next Step Up" for the New Roleplayers, allowing them more customization options, but still not giving them free reign over making their Characters. It's also a good option for the Veterans who don't want to have to make up Abilities or Moves. here's the basis:

The Host makes the Character Classes and the Moves/Abilities, from which the Roleplayers choose for their Character. they start off with the Class, and then choose from the Moves/Abilities available for that Class.

Basically D&D Character Creation. But let's get the whole reroll concept rolling first before we start considering the next step XD

Yea, would be best before we start going even more in detail lol. Getting very close to completion on ther first Reroll RP I am doing. Others can do these as well, if you are intersed in hosting one jsut talk to em about it I will help you set it up lol.

Basically D&D Character Creation. But let's get the whole reroll concept rolling first before we start considering the next step XD

Ahh..

i-see-what-you-did-there-and-i-like-it.j

Anyways, sensei, about the Mafia game.. I would like to give it a shot if possible..

• 2 months later...