BS Gym Leaders

Lizard Troop

Let me just start by saying this is the best Pokemon game I have ever played, ever. However, I made an account just to rant about the ludicrously unfair gyms in the game. It seems every gym I've beaten so far I've only done through sheer luck, and I don't really feel accomlished doing that, but that's how I have to do it. The fighting leader flinched me three times in a row, I was paralyzed three times in a row, then I got frozen all in the same battle. The odds of that happening in actual pokemon is basically 0, but it's possible, so I played on and won through RNG. I'mm currently on the normal gym, and if I flinch from tail slap on the first turn one more time from a move that doesn't have any flinch chance, I'm done.

Let me just start by saying this is the best Pokemon game I have ever played, ever. However, I made an account just to rant about the ludicrously unfair gyms in the game. It seems every gym I've beaten so far I've only done through sheer luck, and I don't really feel accomlished doing that, but that's how I have to do it. The fighting leader flinched me three times in a row, I was paralyzed three times in a row, then I got frozen all in the same battle. The odds of that happening in actual pokemon is basically 0, but it's possible, so I played on and won through RNG. I'mm currently on the normal gym, and if I flinch from tail slap on the first turn one more time from a move that doesn't have any flinch chance, I'm done.

I've been playing the game with the team below and so far "Se Jun" came through in every gym and OMG Bulletproof is so overpowered against "The Forest Creator" but anyways my points aside....

The reason you flinch is because of the item King's Rock, it's a 10% chance that's activated with each slap. I raged so much when that happened to me the first time but believe me it's possible for your pokemon to not flinch. Just be patient and paralyze it.

Edited by Bowser

This "gym" is impossible. Tail slap does half of all my pokemon's hp with it being burned, tri attack does 75% of everyone's hp, and all his pokemon are faster than all mine. Were I to send out ampharos to paralyze anything, it would die in 2 turns. I can't win this.

I feel that, with the right pokemon, you can strategize and find atleast a few ways to win, or atleast have a better chance. I mean, I myself used a Garbodor, a GARBODOR, to sludge wave and toxic spikes for field hazards to beat Noel. While many would tell you to 'abandon your sanity.', it sounds more like you need to accept the RNG or grab a new strategy.

This "gym" is impossible. Tail slap does half of all my pokemon's hp with it being burned, tri attack does 75% of everyone's hp, and all his pokemon are faster than all mine. Were I to send out ampharos to paralyze anything, it would die in 2 turns. I can't win this.

Ampharos with Cotten Guard and Charge Beam almost swept Noel for me.

It seems that you need to train a new team (or at least a new team member) to beat Noel, since it's a Normal Gym i recommend a Fighting Type (cuz you know "normal") but it should be a "fast" (or bulky) one and a Rock Type (or a Pokemon with a good Rock move)

am I the only one who wants them harder, we know what type they will be so we tend to build teams just to counter them, the grass gym, lets bring some flying and fire pokemon, so I think they should have slightly higher pokemon levels to counter this

I totally agree about making them harder but most of the people don't (sadly)

am I the only one who wants them harder, we know what type they will be so we tend to build teams just to counter them, the grass gym, lets bring some flying and fire pokemon, so I think they should have slightly higher pokemon levels to counter this

Well we should wait until every Gym Leader has his own field (which should happen at Episode 15) so Ame can balance there team aroud it. Also the trainer AI is still be worked on. Even so it wouldn´t stop people to build their Team to counter them so they can steamroll the Gym Leader.

It's all possible if you got the right pokemon[and items]

Before I started over my game, I just caught a Steel-type from the Abandoned Power Plant and trained that, namely Magnemite. Teach it Discharge/Thunder Wave and hope that RNG falls into the right places and you should be fine.... that is, if Ame still left the Power Plant the same and Magnemite/Klink is still catchable there ._.

BTW the Se Jun Duo is a beast.... Nuzzle + Electro Ball

That's the power of a Skill Link/King's Rock Cinccino. The game is intended to be hard as most gyms' mons generally have movesets you wouldn't see out of place in competitive battling, so this is why you'll frequently get yourself caught off-guard.

There are really specific Pokemon that perform so well against each gym leader, so here's pretty much one of the best ways that I used to go about battling the gym leaders:

Julia - Goldeen w/ Lightningrod or Pachirisu w/ Volt Absorb.

Florinia - Gyardos Kriketune w/ Fury Cutter

Corey - Gyarados Diggersby

Shelly - She's a double battle now, so anything that can learn Rock Slide early enough.

Kiki - Azumarill w/ Huge Power

Aya - Malamar w/ Contrary

Serra - Drought Vulpix was best prior to her being nerfed

Noel - Aggron or Escavalier

You should get the idea from there. Think about the type of Pokemon you are going against and figure out what can really stop them in their tracks.

Just waiting for ep.15 to see Serra's field. (i know we're on ep.13, but that's the episode Ame said Serra would receive a field)

That's going to be an awesome field

inb4 snow field raises ice pokemon evasion by 50%

Let's be serious, unless gym leaders start having a 'roster' of pokes to 'randomly' choose six, there will always be player teams that either get wreaked, or in turn wreck that gym. The hope is to never end up 'counter teaming', yet being able to be ready for it.

I beat Noel by giving my Golem a Quick Claw and having it use Explosion. Then I'd send out a chump to give him Cotton Candy. Once you get rid of that Cincinno, the rest is doable. If you encouter another problem child, just blow it up with Golem again.

Though it's a bit riskier, you could try and give a Quick Claw to a pokemon with Minimize and hope for the best. In fact, just grab a Quick Claw. It'll make your life easier.

(I used Golem, but any Poke who learns Explosion will do.)

It really isn't hard, it's just that you have to get a little lucky, which can be frustrating.

There are really specific Pokemon that perform so well against each gym leader, so here's pretty much one of the best ways that I used to go about battling the gym leaders:

Shelly - She's a double battle now, so anything that can learn Rock Slide early enough.

You should get the idea from there. Think about the type of Pokemon you are going against and figure out what can really stop them in their tracks.

Would like to add Vulpix with Flame Burst against Shelly, if you have a strategy set up to obtain Vulpix as early as possible. (My personal strategy that works most of the time is to get a Plusle with Lightningrod, level her twice to learn Encore, teach her Charge Beam. Thunder Wave first turn, hope the KingKlang uses either Discharge or Charge Beam, and encore it. Congratulations, you got a Level 45 KingKlang helping a Level 17 Plusle demolish it. Nets you Vulpix before the 2nd gym.)

Vulpix's Flame Burst turns Shelly's forest into a burning field that automatically KOs almost all of her Pokemon in 2-4 turns. Get another Pokemon with Nature Power to start spamming Flamethrower as well. Ironically I found her even easier to beat with the forest field compared to before.

(As an aside, I find Nature Power to be an insanely fun move to use now, thanks to all these new fields. Nature Power Discharge or Ampharos with Plus using Discharge in double battles at the factories is hilarious.)

Edited by Alilatias

For KiKi, I'd suggest Granbull too. Not only does Granbull wall it type wise, it also gets Intimidate and Charm, and Medicham knows Thunderpunch for Pokemon like Azumarill.

Someone forgot about Zoroark wrecking Shade. Especially now that Night Daze is buffed by his field.

But nah, it comes down to the RNG in every Pokemon game. Reborn's Gym leaders just are better suited to take advantage of it. Considering you can go charging in to see what they have first, and plan accordingly afterwards? I'd say you have the advantage anyway.

Vulpix's Flame Burst turns Shelly's forest into a burning field that automatically KOs almost all of her Pokemon in 2-4 turns. Get another Pokemon with Nature Power to start spamming Flamethrower as well. Ironically I found her even easier to beat with the forest field compared to before.

I agree. Shelly was much harder in previous episodes. Her previous team members were better threats (Dwebble and Scyther) than the ones that they were replaced with (Illumise and Anorith).

I'm quite happy with the difficulty of the Gym Leaders. Of course as you do more runs of the game, you know all their strategies so the battles get slightly easier, but on the first encounter... yeah a lot of rage is experienced.

Now if only the Leaders were capable of using Revives... oops

Someone forgot about Zoroark wrecking Shade. Especially now that Night Daze is buffed by his field.

But nah, it comes down to the RNG in every Pokemon game. Reborn's Gym leaders just are better suited to take advantage of it. Considering you can go charging in to see what they have first, and plan accordingly afterwards? I'd say you have the advantage anyway.

Zoroark is actually more useful with Radomus. Triple Boost with Nasty Plot due to Field Effect = Easy Win.

Edited by Xiri

Sucker Punch Furfrou is your friend.

Also, Hurricane Noivern works very well too. I beat Noel with the Furfrou *Fur Coat halves physical damage*, Noivern, and an overleveled Delphox who mercifully chose better attacks than I did.

As for feeling like you are only doing this through luck, try a different approach. Don't think of it as a game, think of it as going on a real adventure.

If you win a fight through "luck" rather than any strategy you came up, then you can interpret that as your pokemon coming through for you. Be proud of your team when this happens, you'll find much more satisfaction.

Tried to lend a hand and fix up that rad gradient of yours. ~B. Guardian