What should I add to my team?

Joevahkiin

This is my team so far. I'm just about to head off to Luna's gym and I cant decide to fill out what to fill out my team with so opinions please. All these pokes are bred with decent IVs and have been EV trained:

Gengar

Levitate

Timid

Moves:

Hypnosis

Destiny Bond

Shadow Ball

Dark Pulse

Jynx

Dry Skin

Hasty

Moves:

Lovely Kiss

Shadow Ball

Powder Snow

Psychic

Arcanine

Justified

Adamant

Moves:

Flare Blitz

Outrage

Extreemspeed

Rock Smash

Magnezone

Analytic

Timid

Moves:

Flash Cannon

Thunder Wave

Discharge

Charge Beam

Scraggy (currently EV training)

Moxie

Adamant

Moves:

Hi Jump Kick

Crunch

2 others

So yeah, not sure what the last spot should be here. I'm mainly looking for type coverage but any opinion is appreciated thanks :)

I would suggest a water-type because with the coming Episode we will most likely get HM Surf and need it to advance... that way you would have a well trained water-type to use it with, when you get it.

In that regard I could recommend Swampert (get Mudkip in Byxbision Wasteland event, if you haven't already)

With it's Water/Ground type it is only vulnerable against Grass (but that 4x). since we will have to face Titanias Steel-Types, Hardy's Rock-Types and Charlottes Fire-Types, Water and Ground are a pretty solid choice for them to take them down with.

If you are looking for something that is viable in short term, get a flying type for Samsons Fighting type.

Are you really using a Jynx? Why? Well if you like it that's up to you hmm ok i would recommend a Steel type (for the future Rock/Fairy gyms) like a Metagross for example.

Edited by Gaunt

Jynx has saved me a surprising amount of times. The high accuracy of Lovely Kiss is a godsend and she took on most of Aya herself, but I admit she won't hold out for the whole game. She will change when something else comes along.

AND WE CAN GET BELDUM NOW???? WHERE!

EDIT: Im just gonna close this topic now - my computer crashed and my save corrupted. 70hrs down the drain. Frack everything.

AND WE CAN GET BELDUM NOW???? WHERE!

Well, let me give you one hint: You can get a taurus to aya´s mom´s house, if you walk from there to route 1 without fainting or going to another pokemon center. Mount a taurus and faint and BAM you´re there. Now you can explore the whole area with taurus ^^" (It´s intended, which you can kinda see if you get to Beldum and read the dialogue of the shields and the machine)

Im just gonna close this topic now - my computer crashed and my save corrupted. 70hrs down the drain. Frack everything.

Goddammit. Ah no, I feel really sorry for you :( I hope you´ll replay the game again one day, still worth it. Now you might know what you can get, so you could make another team to have more variety in your second run ;)

Using Jynx on Luna would´ve been a bad idea. It´s always good to have some kind of roster with a variety of types. It´s what I have and I´m somewhat prepared for the next gyms. Luna can be really difficult, but if you play again: A good bug-type and another good fighting-type will save you. She can be quite difficult,

because her pokemon have nicknames and you don´t know what she´s going to send out next (unless you try again, ofc)

Probably should replace gengar's dark pulse. There's very little reason to use dark pulse on gengar, as it offers the same coverage as shadow ball, but does not get stab. You'd be much better off using something else to deal with normal types, than to try kililng one with dark pulse.

I would NOT use the Scrafty. It's a powerfull Pokémon, true. But the leader after Luna eats Dark Types as a snack. I sugest you would get a decent Bug Type.

No need to ditch a pokemon over one leader, though.

OP - Your team has decent synergy, but your movesets suck. Put Sludgewave on Gengar, get rid of rock smash on Arcanine in favor of nearly anything,replace powder snow on jynx with Frost breath.

As for an additional member, your team is vulnerable to ground, and somewhat to fighting besides Gengar, who doesn't have the defenses to take a coverage move from a strong ground or fighting type. Also a bit vulnerable to fire. Consider adding a bulky water type. Water/Ground would be nice since you'll also be able to hit Electric types which you currently can't, so get Swampert/Gastro/Quag

Put Sludgewave on Gengar

It can't learn it. However, OP can get a male Stunfisk, level it to level 45 to have it learn Thunderbolt, breed it with a female Grimer/Muk, level the new male Grimer to level 26 for Sludge Bomb and breed that with a female Gastly/Haunter/Gengar. That gives OP a Gengar with Sludge Bomb and Thunderbolt. Hypnosis is worthless and Dark Pulse has the same coverage as Shadow Ball, minus the STAB. Destiny Bond is neat.

Jynx can be bred with either Drowzee/Hypno or Croagunk/Toxicroak for Nasty Plot, though I don't know how you got Psychic onto Jynx. And yeah, Frost Breath>Powder Snow.

Instead of Rock Smash, get Arcanine's Thunder Fang or even better Crunch, TF won't one-shot any water types, but can help vs Flying types.

No comment on Magnezone as I've never used one.

Scraggy/Scrafty can breed for Zen Headbutt with Spoink/Stantler/Girafarig/Tauros/Psyduck/Golduck, for the 3 Elemental punches with a Buneary/Loppuny which has bred with Hitmonchan, and for Dragon Dance with Gyarados/Altaria.

You lack Ground, Rock, Bug, Grass, Fairy, Water, Ground and Flying, quite a few. Possible team members would be:

Archeops provides Bug, Rock, Flying and Ground for your team. U-Turn, Rock Slide, Acrobatics and it also has Dragon Claw and Crunch and Earth power from Corsola.

Crustle which has been bred with Geodude for EQ and the level-up moves Rock Slide and x-Scissor. The fourth slot could be Stealth Rock or Shell Smash, use Weak Armor with SS. You would have to wait until after Luna for this one.

Excadrill which has been bred with a Zangoose for X-Scissor. XS, EQ, Rock Slide and I guess Hone Claws would be great for it.

Durant which has been bred with a Shuckle for Rock Slide. Dig, Iron Head, Crunch, XS, Rock Slide or maybe Hone Claws with Hustle is godly, just keep it away from special attacks and fire. This thing could solo Luna.

It can't learn it. However, OP can get a male Stunfisk, level it to level 45 to have it learn Thunderbolt, breed it with a female Grimer/Muk, level the new male Grimer to level 26 for Sludge Bomb and breed that with a female Gastly/Haunter/Gengar. That gives OP a Gengar with Sludge Bomb and Thunderbolt. Hypnosis is worthless and Dark Pulse has the same coverage as Shadow Ball, minus the STAB. Destiny Bond is neat.

Jynx can be bred with either Drowzee/Hypno or Croagunk/Toxicroak for Nasty Plot, though I don't know how you got Psychic onto Jynx. And yeah, Frost Breath>Powder Snow.

Instead of Rock Smash, get Arcanine's Thunder Fang or even better Crunch, TF won't one-shot any water types, but can help vs Flying types.

No comment on Magnezone as I've never used one.

Scraggy/Scrafty can breed for Zen Headbutt with Spoink/Stantler/Girafarig/Tauros/Psyduck/Golduck, for the 3 Elemental punches with a Buneary/Loppuny which has bred with Hitmonchan, and for Dragon Dance with Gyarados/Altaria.

You lack Ground, Rock, Bug, Grass, Fairy, Water, Ground and Flying, quite a few. Possible team members would be:

Archeops provides Bug, Rock, Flying and Ground for your team. U-Turn, Rock Slide, Acrobatics and it also has Dragon Claw and Crunch and Earth power from Corsola.

Crustle which has been bred with Geodude for EQ and the level-up moves Rock Slide and x-Scissor. The fourth slot could be Stealth Rock or Shell Smash, use Weak Armor with SS. You would have to wait until after Luna for this one.

Excadrill which has been bred with a Zangoose for X-Scissor. XS, EQ, Rock Slide and I guess Hone Claws would be great for it.

Durant which has been bred with a Shuckle for Rock Slide. Dig, Iron Head, Crunch, XS, Rock Slide or maybe Hone Claws with Hustle is godly, just keep it away from special attacks and fire. This thing could solo Luna.

I was surprised to find out that Gengar can't learn SW by TM. Huh.

I was surprised to find out that Gengar can't learn SW by TM. Huh.

Me too, especially as Aya´s Gengar knows SW. Turns out it can only learn it through Dream World.

Edited by Yazmat