Help to beat Admin Taka and Zel.

Shadowbolt192

Okay, ever since the newest episode download and restarting the game to get Speed Boost Torchic, I lost most of my original team I had. I thought when restarting the game there will be better early Pokemon since the game got updated, but it didn't. I can't get a Crobat no more since Zubat got replaced by Noibat and Crobat was so useful to me.

Next one was Magby who got replaced by Pansear. Pansear would be a good Pokemon early on, but there is no fire stone early on, so I refuse to raise a Pansear and Noibat because Noibat evolves at 48. Magmar was more useful since Magby doesn't evolve by a Fire Stone and Magmar is a second stage after all. I have a crap team now to face admin Taka and Zel.

This is my team when I face them:

Jellal the Combusken(I wanted a female Speed Boost Torchic named Erza.)

Laxus the Manectric.

A Kricketune who is surprising strong sweeping the second gym and one of my strongest members minus it having Modest nature.

A Tranquil(I have to use it. I'm limited to certain Pokemon right now and don't want to pass the level limit.)

And a Azuril who I'm trying to evolve to the final stage(It doesn't have Huge Power), but he is being so stubborn to evolve.

And I can't beat the two admins no matter what I do. My Crobat and Magmar beat most of the Pokemon before, without them, I'm hopeless. I could try Beedrill to set up Toxic Spikes only, but that won't help in a long run. The admins take me down to my last two Pokemon before I can even get to their last Pokemon. Even when I do get to last Pokemon, my last two Pokemon are at red or yellow hp while their last Pokemon are at full hp. How do I beat them?

Edited by Shadowbolt192

Okay, so, depending on which of them is the bigger threat... you wanna take that one out first. Make it a 2 on 1, because you're gonna want it to be 2 on 1. In my experience, ZEL's Eeveelutions are worse, so I'd usually focus on those guys first. Lileep is annoying spamming Confuse Ray, but it's not very threatening otherwise.

I can't offer you much more advice than that, really... open with Combusken (and maybe Azurill, if it has Thick Fat), try to take Glaceon down fast, then Kricketune can pretty easily clean up Espeon and Umbreon by stacking Fury Cutters. I'd have Persim Berries on hand to deal with Confuse Ray, too, but I don't know if you feel like backtracking to buy those.

As for Ralts, you won't be able to get it until after your fifth badge. The only hint I'm going to give you to point you in the right direction once you're there is that you need Rock Smash, but it's not rocks you should be trying to smash...

My advice is teach Combusken Bulk Up and get it to +6 in the battle, it can take lileep's and glaceon's attacks pretty well and when you're low on health just heal, afterwards proceed to sweep with double kick, thats how i beat them with my Combusken.

I found a Ralts now. I just had to pay this guy some money to enter a house that has Ralts in it. Where can I get a Persim berry anyway? It can help me out in a good run. I could try to take out Zel's Pokemon first then. They are a threat.

And I could raise Combusken to lvl 28 for that, but I'm in a pitch with money in the game. I have around 17584, but I'm not to spend it alot. I guess I can buy some Super Potions. But there is a problem. Confuse Ray. The higher your attack is, the more damage you take from confusion.

Edited by Shadowbolt192

My advice is teach Combusken Bulk Up and get it to +6 in the battle, it can take lileep's and glaceon's attacks pretty well and when you're low on health just heal, afterwards proceed to sweep with double kick, thats how i beat them with my Combusken.

you can take it to +6??? even with heal, you just waste a turn to bulk up, so basically how can you take it to +6?? (all zel's pkms attack on special side, so the defense boost means nothing). and 50% confuse rate makes Bulk Up sometimes...hitting your self. Basically i think your strategy CAN work, but it need a LOT of hax. So you shouldn't advise someone with this kind of strategy. They need a strategy can work most the times, not something depends on hax. And i don't think this topic is about "how DID you beat Zel and Taka". This is about "how CAN i beat Zel and Taka with this team".

Edited by gutten_tag

I found a Ralts now. I just had to pay this guy some money to enter a house that has Ralts in it. Where can I get a Persim berry anyway? It can help me out in a good run. I could try to take out Zel's Pokemon first then. They are a threat.

And I could raise Combusken to lvl 28 for that, but I'm in a pitch with money in the game. I have around 17584, but I'm not to spend it alot. I guess I can buy some Super Potions. But there is a problem. Confuse Ray. The higher your attack is, the more damage you take from confusion.

Ah, you're playing an older episode... that would explain the Azurill without trading, actually.

You can buy Persim Berries on the second floor of Obsidia's Department Store, iirc.

If you want to try Bulk Up, give Combusken a Persim Berry and let it get set up- it'll snap out of confusion once, basically giving you a free pass. Getting set up is risky, but it can work in your favour, too. Plus the Defense boost from Bulk Up will help you stave off confusion damage a tiny bit, too.

Edited by Lost Lore

True. I will think of something.

And I'm playing an older episode? I swear I downloaded the newest episode. I didn't know. I'm lucky then I guess. Bulk Up can be risky as well. Now I know where the berries are at.

Edited by Shadowbolt192

you can take it to +6??? even with heal, you just waste a turn to bulk up, so basically how can you take it to +6?? (all zel's pkms attack on special side, so the defense boost means nothing). and 50% confuse rate makes Bulk Up sometimes...hitting your self. Basically i think your strategy CAN work, but it need a LOT of hax. So you shouldn't advise someone with this kind of strategy. They need a strategy can work most the times, not something depends on hax. And i don't think this topic is about "how DID you beat Zel and Taka". This is about "how CAN i beat Zel and Taka with this team".

It is just a suggestion, it worked for me, its his choice to take it or not, I'm just leaving an option.

I do happen to have strats against these guys in their double battle- But they're still extremely hard to beat even in e11. It took me 3 tries or something, with a relatively powerful lineup. I blame the Tangrowth still.

But in e12.. I don't wanna know how bad it'll be.

For the record; tips and hints can be found here: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8017

To be fair this battle is probably substantially more difficult with the PULSE form in E12 and I will likely have to change it.

..IF you're going to remove its ability, or change anything- What could make it easier..?

Edited by RainbowDash

To be fair this battle is probably substantially more difficult with the PULSE form in E12 and I will likely have to change it.

Oh you have got that right. I just beat this battle and it was the hardest thing I've faced in reborn to this date. I had a really good team for that point, Herdier, Vespiquen, stuff like that but the only way I could win is by spamming minimize on my Grimer and taking advantage of the fact that Tangrowth doesn't go PULSE until the start of the first turn it's out to poison it before it became grass/poison. I also had to make sure that I wasted Taka's two super potions on his Lileep. Just before I won I was seriously considering grinding my pokemon to level 30-32 in order to get loads of evolutions happening. They were around 25, so that's definitely considerable overleveling. I do refuse to use healing items though so that's something, and I did win so it isn't impossible.

Edited by Sheep93

Honestly it is, but only because the the Pokemon being sent out first. Glaceon and Lileep have attacks that hit both Pokemon, and these attacks decrease stats. It would be better if another Pokemon was sent out first instead of Glaceon and Lileep, without the constant Icy Wind and Acids. Or maybe they need and alter in the moveset, or decease in their stats?

Moving on the way I beat them in my second(third counting Nuzlock) playthrough, I got a Ledian with Reflect, Light Screen, Safegaurd, and Mach Punch, and a Vivillion with Stun Spore, Stuggle Bug, Sleep Powder, and Bug Bite. I sent out Ledian and manged to set up a Safegaurd to protect against Confuse Rays. I could've easily swept this whole team if it wasn't for Lileep's Water Absorb. But the Glaceon is the most threatening Pokemon in this battle, and must be taken down immediately.

Get a Scatterbug and evolve it. Let Combusken use Bulk up at least twice, since it has Speed Boost you don't have to worry about Glaceon's Icy Wind, but you do have to keep concern for that Espeon. I suggest getting Kricketune to use a Bug attack on Espeon(Fury Cutter would be great). As for Umbreon, just Double Kick and Fury Cut it to oblivion.

Lileep isn't much of a threat but is a quite a nuisance. Fighting or fire moves will work great on it. Taka then may switch to PULSE Tangrowth, or Chatot. Chatot often uses Nasty Plot first, but be cautious if it uses Chatter, you may need to switch Combustion for Manetric. As for Tangrowth, it's going to PULSE evolve and will become a Grass/Poison Type, I believe. Surprisingly it's slow, so hit it with all you got, NEVER USE SPORE MOVES ON IT, I LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY AND LOST MY SUPPORT POKEMON. After that you should be good go fight Corey, he has a new field. Kill the Skerlp and save Townsville.

Well wouldnt it be enough to take of the attack boosting Items from ZELs eeveelutions as they are the only real problems in this fight. Or let him send out Umbreon first as it is his weakest Pokemon and you have more of a choice who you gonna beat first.

• Administrators

There gonna be a 12.5?

Hellllll no.

..IF you're going to remove its ability, or change anything- What could make it easier..?

I'm pretty happy with how Tangrowth plays, but as has been alluded to, it's ZEL that's too strong.

I strongly disagree with that. I don't think ZEL is too strong at all. Not with a good strategy. ZEL is tough, yes, but beatable. And battles like that make the game, at least for me, more interesting. I kicked ZEL and Taka's teams just with combusken and kricketune... and I did not grind more than with the trainers I was forced to battle (level 25-30, I guess). Kricketune took out umbreon, espeon, tangrowth and chatot with fury cutter, and combusken beated lileep with double kick and glaceon with ember. That's all.

Edited by Alaris

Here, a strategy I've developed... use it to raise levels or get things to evolve or whatever you so please for it...

a Strategy I call "Phoenix Sweep".

It's effective if your team is a bit underlevel, or you want to evolve something (Though, the pokemon in question should have decent defenses to survive combat) I suggest spending all your cash on medicinal items before starting though, as one of the key points of this is to lose... Repeatedly, And it would be a shame if you lost all your cash during this process because you didn't invest wisely...

Anyway, here is a basic rundown

1. Before the major battle (I used this strategy to eventually beat Corey after three or four tries), Switch the lead of your party with the pokemon you intend to level up/evolve. (Again, should have decent defenses, as things could go bad and it may be forced to fight it's way out of the battle)
  2. Initiate the major battle
  3. After your lead is thrown in (Pokemon to be leveled) Switch it out with a stronger pokemon (Ex. For Corey, I sent in my level27 Teddiursa against his Trubish, then switched Teddiursa out immediately for Braxien)
  4. Use said stronger pokemon that has been chosen to defeat the Foe.
  5. When prompted, send out the intended leveler again, repeat steps 3-5 as nessacary, throwing in other members of the party when strategically valuable (Ex. I sent in Pidgeotto to lower his Skunktank's Attack with Feather dance, lowering it's massive attack stat and making it safer for other's to come in and finish it off. Pidgeotto fainted in the process, but it's like I said before, lossing is key)
  6. Eventually, you'll be brought to your last stand if you aren't strong enough to finish the fight in your favor. You'll lose. Don't get discouraged, You barely lost any cash because you didn't have any if you followed my advice on buyig medicine. (Note: For steps 1-6, it is vital that you lose little to none healing products, as those should be saved for the real fight.) Get back in there and rematch. Lose again, but you still come out of the fight with some levels gained if you played your cards right. Keep on persevering until you feel your strong enough to stop this charade and actually fight seriously. (By the time I finished with this technique on Corey, Braxien, Emolga, And Teddiursa had gone up by about 3-4 levels, and Teddiursa evolved into urasing. We went in there and Crushed corey in five minutes the next time we fought him.)
  7. This should work just fine against any other leader/ Boss battle, some notes though:
  • since corey specialized in poison, I made sure that my ace (The one who was getting swaped in to handle the Foe.) had a good pyschic type move (Braxien had Psybeam, and actually learned psyshock thru gaining levels in the fight) Making taking the Enemy out much easier (Type effectivness is also quite important) Seeing as how Aya also specilizes in Poison, I suggest you get something that knows Either Psychic or Ground moves (Psychic is better, seeing as how her team is rather bulky and will better withstand Physical moves, as most Ground moves are)
  • Teddiursa got a big boost in power after evolving to urasing, which was my cue to crush the enemy at last.
  • As I said before, use the rest of your party as well, don't let them sit there. sent them out when they have moves that prove useful in a certain situation. If they faint, Good then. It will free up a share of the Exp for the others battling.
  • It's called phoenix sweep because you will fail time and time again, but eventually rise up from your ashes more powerful and wiser to the opposing side than you were when you started.

Now, I don't really know how efficient it is with double battles or if it can help you right now.. but it's worth a shot anyway, right? I actually used this to take down cory with a so-so team...

(Note: it's currently formatted for single battles... see if you can get it to work for doubles though... I'l play around with it to see if I can't find an efficient version of the Phoenix sweep for this situation...)

Edited by Stratos

• 3 months later...

Personally, I have no clue what everyone is freaking out about, I actually found this battle to be way easier than Taka in a single battle. I had my trusty Protean Fragadier, Manectric, Onix, Kricetune, Litleo (or maybe Pyroar, I don't recall if it evolved or not), and Gothita. With an early game Physic type, I actually find PULSE Tangrowth way easier than the regular variety, since Gothita can just kill it with a nice stab attack. My only real problem was Chatot, so I trained up my Manectric and Onix and went to town on it.