[Suggestion] HM replacements

Manveru

This is going to be a simple, yet a rather interesting suggestion (I hope). Namely: how about adding items that replicate HMs? We seem to be getting more and more of these every episode. I'm already stuck with a HM slave, and it looks like that soon I'll need two. This would allow everyone to actually use a full team at all times, without having to drag useless slaves around just to cut a god damn tree or break a rock. HMs are generally the worst idea in the Pokemon games ever.. but I digress.

The idea is: an item that replaces, for example, Cut (let's call it Treehugger), would only be usable if player already has HM Cut in his inventory, and meets the requirements to use it (a proper badge). Considering that this game already adds new mechanics, not seen in "normal" games, I believe that this simple change would not mean the end of the world - in fact, it would probably mean that it's the first game in the series that actually makes a little bit of sense.

So, for example, the character can carry around a drill to break through rocks? I mean, we already have explosives in Black Powder, so it's not TOO outlandish.
The problem would be that this game is made with the Pokemon Essentials Kit, which probably incorporates HMs and Badge requirements, meaning that doing something new like this could be tricky.

Hello Zeta/Cron

thought the same thing.

Above all Items I would want from this... is a replacement for Rock Smash (I friggin hate that move... and it pissed me of that I had to relearn this just to get to Luna...) and Rock Smash isn't even a HM but a TM but I don't bother to relearn it every time I encounter a pesky breakable rock and then relearn another TM...

Hello Zeta/Cron

Exactly. Having an HM slave or wasting a slot for a HM move makes the game a bit harder...

Something that i believe Ame wants. This isn't X and Y, it's supposed to be a game that is going to kick your ass. Even if Ame can do something like in Zeta, i doubt she's goign to do it.

Maybe in the aftergame, but even then, i doubt it.

i dont get how people can have hm slaves, with having only 3 (soon to be 4) hms there shouldnt be a need for slaves i have them spread through out my team and last time i checked rock smash was a tm in reborn if im wrong about rock smash thats only 5 hms 2 of which are type speficly tought almost.

also ame will you be allowing rhydon to learn surf and dive in this game?

Edited by sandy

It does not make the game harder. It makes it annoying. It doesn't matter if I can bring 1 pokemon or 6 if my Blaziken can sweep the gym leader either way (not to mention that most gym leaders and serious opponents don't need a HM slave to get to them). It gives you diversity, allows you to use a proper team the whole time. The game does not suddenly become easier because of it.

It does not make the game harder. It makes it annoying. It doesn't matter if I can bring 1 pokemon or 6 if my Blaziken can sweep the gym leader either way (not to mention that most gym leaders and serious opponents don't need a HM slave to get to them). It gives you diversity, allows you to use a proper team the whole time. The game does not suddenly become easier because of it.

When you have a set amount of moves or pokemon to use, and you have to waste one just to access a certain area or something, then yes it makes it a bit harder. A wasted move slot is always heavy, doesn't matter the situation. You can bring your Blaziken to sweep a place, but what if you can't do that? What if you mispredict and you fail do to so?

At any rate, keep in mind this is just my opinion on it. I also think it's annoying too. But the thing is: This is already an idea from another game. Unless Ame (Or someone) can come with an original idea for it, i doubt it's going to be considerated.

But hey, i'm not Amethyst, so i can't just give a "real answer" on that... We can wait and see Ame's opinion on this. Because iirc, this wasn't suggested before. If it was, i missed it. That doesn't matter though, we shall wait to see Ame's take on this.

• Support Squad

Rather than completely circumvent the moves with tools, why not buff them to at least make them usable. Even a STAB cut from a good normal type attacker isn't going to do shit against most pokes.

• Administrators

Not really interested in HM items because they take the Pokemon out of Pokemon. I think the point of HMs is to feel like you're working together with your Pokemon to navigate these areas, and if the trainer can just hike up rock climb walls instead, what's the point? It's any other game.

What I will not do, though, I promise, is pull an HGSS where you pretty much have to be carrying an HM slave in order to reach a boss that having a slave makes especially difficult. I don't want to make the game challenging in false ways like that.

I agree with both sides of this issue. Having players use items instead of pokemon would most likely break the immersion of you working with your pokemon. However, it is really annoying to force player to use these moves that take up battle slots. Sadly players of this day and age have come to use pokemon for labor while naming them HM slaves. Tragic I say..I think this problem should have been fixed way before we got Ruby and Saphire.

There's nothing wrong with having your pokemon work with you to overcome field obstacles. It would probably be better if gamefreak made every hm forgettable. Or even better just have other moves classified as cutting, smashing, or strength/moving. There are alternatives but they're not being used and I don't see why not.

I'm gonna name a few but this time I'll attempt to put a goof cap on.

Cut or

Slash: what's the difference?

Night Slash: still slashin

Psycho Cut: if there's a difference I don't see none

Air Cutter: I cut the air man so trees count too

Air Slash: hack an slash there ya go

Sacred Sword: master sword man! you can cut grass with it!

Rock Smash or

Brick Break: ey man you saying I can bust bricks and shatter magic walls but I can't smash this rock?

Zen Headbutt: I'm using my head man!

Hammer Arm: no need for a hammer I got this arm

Karate Chop: man did it before

Razor Shell: that's a hard shell man

Razor Leaf: Bulbasaur cut a rock once

Hyper Beam: should blast a line of them rocks in one go

Strength or

Superpower: We gotta power so lets move stuff

Giga Impact: why not we push it one space at a time anyway

Bulldoze: come on man its common sense

Telekinesis: mind over matter

Gravity:its on hill man so its sliding cause of gravity no what I'm sayin

Smash every rock around you Draco Meteor: it better do something

That was horrible. My point is that maybe if we had more options using other moves it wouldn't be as frustrating. In Reborns case I don't know that's a bit of hard coding so I don't know if its possible. The main series however needs to update HMs.

I agree with both sides of this issue. Having players use items instead of pokemon would most likely break the immersion of you working with your pokemon. However, it is really annoying to force player to use these moves that take up battle slots. Sadly players of this day and age have come to use pokemon for labor while naming them HM slaves. Tragic I say..I think this problem should have been fixed way before we got Ruby and Saphire.

There's nothing wrong with having your pokemon work with you to overcome field obstacles. It would probably be better if gamefreak made every hm forgettable. Or even better just have other moves classified as cutting, smashing, or strength/moving. There are alternatives but they're not being used and I don't see why not.

I'm gonna name a few but this time I'll attempt to put a goof cap on.

Cut or

Slash: what's the difference?

Night Slash: still slashin

Psycho Cut: if there's a difference I don't see none

Air Cutter: I cut the air man so trees count too

Air Slash: hack an slash there ya go

Sacred Sword: master sword man! you can cut grass with it!

Rock Smash or

Brick Break: ey man you saying I can bust bricks and shatter magic walls but I can't smash this rock?

Zen Headbutt: I'm using my head man!

Hammer Arm: no need for a hammer I got this arm

Karate Chop: man did it before

Razor Shell: that's a hard shell man

Razor Leaf: Bulbasaur cut a rock once

Hyper Beam: should blast a line of them rocks in one go

Strength or

Superpower: We gotta power so lets move stuff

Giga Impact: why not we push it one space at a time anyway

Bulldoze: come on man its common sense

Telekinesis: mind over matter

Gravity:its on hill man so its sliding cause of gravity no what I'm sayin

Smash every rock around you Draco Meteor: it better do something

That was horrible. My point is that maybe if we had more options using other moves it wouldn't be as frustrating. In Reborns case I don't know that's a bit of hard coding so I don't know if its possible. The main series however needs to update HMs.

I like this idea a lot, but there's only one question: Can Essentials do that? You know what i'm talking about.

If yes, then i see no reason to not do it. Unless of course, it breaks other stuff... but i don't know how to code anything so derp

Probably could do it.

It may involve creating custom moves instead of modifying the old moves, and change the learnsets to the new custom made moves. -OR- Creating elseifs in the conditional check for having specific moves; depending on how essentials has HM interaction coded.

Edited by Hally

Not really interested in HM items because they take the Pokemon out of Pokemon. I think the point of HMs is to feel like you're working together with your Pokemon to navigate these areas, and if the trainer can just hike up rock climb walls instead, what's the point? It's any other game.

What I will not do, though, I promise, is pull an HGSS where you pretty much have to be carrying an HM slave in order to reach a boss that having a slave makes especially difficult. I don't want to make the game challenging in false ways like that.

Yeah. Of course it does.

pokemonHM.jpg

HMs are not what make Pokemon games popular.

Carrying a slave does not make the game any more difficult (for me at least). The only thing it does is it discourages me from working on my team properly (like, I never really bother with EVs), since I feel that the team is half-assed anyway if it can't be assembled fully, and juggling pokes through the PC is just annoying. Being forced to use obscure moves on my pokes just to cut a tree or being forced to carry a useless pokemon made just for removing such obstacles is what takes Pokemon out of Pokemon for me. I don't really care about it in "normal" games, as they're so incredibly easy that anyone can clear them by pressing random buttons (hi Twitch Plays Pokemon), so I always have high hopes when it comes to pokemon hacks. I was never really satisfied, though. No idea what Zeta/cron is, but since it was mentioned, I guess it's worth checking out?

Not that any of that is actually needed to make any progress. This is just a game after all, and AI opponents will never be as good as other humans. Considering that we're already playing a game where a word "good TM" does not exist and a "very strong Pokemon" means "just a few that happen to be obtainable", I was hoping that at least this part could be made less tiring.

Edited by Manveru