Poison Semi-Monotype a la Cain

Etesian

Well I have no Idea for a good set for Toxicroak. Used some strange set with Rock Smash, Nasty Plot, Poison Jab and Mud Bomb. Nasty Plot + Mud Bomb Combo mainly for Aya but you can also consider Sucker Punch isntead. Most of the time I had a strange Move set for my Pokeon like a special Skuntank and Nidoqueen. Your Venomoth set is pretty good although it can´t learn Sludge Wave. Give it a Zoom Lens because most of the time it will be outspeeded by something until you get a few Quiver Dances.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ri-ight, Accuracy sucks! Shelly was actually the toughest so far, but my issues with accuracy were the main reason for that. Before I fought her, I used 3 heart scales for Arbok's Ice Fang and Venomoth's Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz. I also used 2 Rare Candies on the level 32 Stunky cause Stunky, unlike it's evolution, sucks.
Victoria was also the first victim of a Sleep Powder-Quiver Dance sweep. It was glorious.
What I also think is worth mentioning is that my game glitched. I was able to use Rock Smash as soon as I got it. Not that that's a bad thing, I instantly went and got the mining kit and mined some stuff, including a Toxic, Mind and Ground Plate :3 Oh well.

And now, the team!
024.gif
Arbok Lv 32
Intimidate
Lonely
Screech
Glare
Ice Fang
Crunch

435.gif
Skuntank Lv 35
Aftermath
Timid
Flamethrower
Rock Smash
Acid Spray
Screech

049.gif
Venomoth Lv33
Tinted Lens
Modest
Sleep Powder
Bug Buzz
Quiver Dance
Psybeam

502.gif
Dewott Lv 34
Shell Armor
Adamant
Razor Shell
Revenge
Fury Cutter
Aqua Jet

088.gif
Grimer Lv 28
Poison Touch
Jolly
Mud Bomb
Minimize
Disable
Sludge Bomb

and a Skorupi I haven't caught yet. Trubbish is gone cause It's bad.

So my strategy for the start of this fight was rather pointless. The idea was to send my level 26 Trubbish to set up TS and get killed, but Dwebble kept using Shell Smash spamming Shell Smash and...it was bad, okay? I reloaded until it killed Trubbish in 2-3 turns, then neutralized it with Dewott's Razor Shell.
Her next choice was "Heather" the Yanmega. Intimidate Arbok with Glare made it worthless. Almost killed it with 3 Ice Fangs, but she used a Hyper Potion and when it was almost dead again switched for Scyther.
For Scyther, Arbok was a tad too weak, so I swapped it for Grimer. Died in 2 shots and Sludge Bomb did next to nothing. The 15-health-remaining Arbok came in, Intimidated, Ice Fanged for half health and fell.
So I brought out Skuntank. Oh, boy Flamethrower 2-shot anything I used it on. Scyther-dead. Yanmega-dead. Wormadam- I was expecting the grass form and thought I'd give Venomoth some time to shine. It was Steel Wormadam. Venomoth missed Sleep Powder 3 times in a row. Venomoth died. Dewott missed Razor Shell (95 base Acc) 3 times in a row. Dewott died. Skuntank came back for revenge, secretly laughing at my stupidity, I'm sure.
And then came Volbeat. The only dang thing to get Poisoned by TS. Confusion hax got Skuntank from 120HP to 26HP.
Man, is Moonlight annoying. It took 7-8 Flamethrowers to kill it, but we got it done.
Aaaaaand that's that. Easy enough if we disregard Accu/Confusion hax. The toughest gym so far.

Now, I'm off to catch a Skorupi. I've already put Croagunk in my team instead of Trubbish. Who should I switch out for Skorupi/Drapion? I'd say Grimer, but what do you think?

........now that was easy. Way too easy. Shade's entire team was swept by Venomoth! Skorupi set (unnecessary) Toxic Spikes and died to Rotom in 3 hits, just as planned. Then, Venomoth used Sleep Powder and 6 Quiver Dances to get to max Sp.Atk, Sp.Def and Speed. It took a while because Rotom kept using Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray, but we got the full buff.

And the sweep began. Only Chandelure, the second foe, took 2 hits. Alternating between Psybeam and Bug Buzz swept the entire gym no-prob. Man, I can't wait until Kiki! Until then, here's what I've got!:

049.gif

Venomoth Lv 39

Tinted Lens

Modest

Sleep Powder

Psybeam

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

451.gif

Skorupi Lv 35

Battle Armor

Impish

Toxic Spikes

Poison Fang

Venoshock

Bug Bite

024.gif

Arbok Lv 37

Intimidate

Lonely

Screech

Glare

Crunch

Ice Fang

435.gif

Skuntank Lv 39

Aftermath

Timid

Flamethrower

Rock Smash

Acid Spray

Screech

503.gif

Samurott

Battle Armor

Jolly

Razor Shell

Revenge

Grass Knot

Mega Horn

454.gif

Toxicroak Lv 37

Dry Skin

Gentle

Mud Bomb

Sucker Punch

Revenge

Swagger

I'm not really satisfied with Toxicroak's and Skorupi's Natures, but I got tired of trying to catch a perfect one, so I settled for whatever wasn't terrible.

Actually, Magma Kingpin Maxwell was waaay tougher than Shade, although all my team members were around level 35 when we fought. Vulpix was killed by Toxicroak's Swagger and Sucker Punch/Arbok's Glare and Crunch. Arbok almost defeated Charmeleon, which ended up eliminating Arbok, Venomoth and Skorupi, the latter 2 were neutralized in 1 shot each. Skuntank conquered Charmeleon and used 3 Screeches and 1 Rock Smash to almost put an end to Houndoom. Houndoom was actually banished by Skuntank's Aftermath, so that's like 3000+ XP down the drain :P

This has been smooth sailing so far, though I'm still anxious for Radomus. We'll see when we get there.

(I should really stop stopping the playthrough whenever the site is down)

Edited by 13243546

Congratulations on beating Shade. This was my strategy for him and many fights after him too. You should watch out for Kiki as her Machamp has Rock Slide or Rock throw which could be dangerous against Venomoth. Aya is fodder for Venomoth and Toxicroak as long as you don´t beat anyone of her Pokemon before setting up Quiver Dance and Nasty Plot. A shame you didn´t choose Bulbasaur as your starter as Leech Seed on Muk would make your Venomoth pretty much invulnerable. Against Radomus you shouldnt use Venomoth as it has now a 4 x Weakness against Psyshic because of his Chess Field and should probably take Nidoqueen/-king instead as they only take neutral damage from Psychic.

Edited by Yazmat

Congratulations on beating Shade. This was my strategy for him and many fights after him too. You should watch out for Kiki as her Machamp has Rock Slide or Rock throw which could be dangerous against Venomoth. Aya is fodder for Venomoth and Toxicroak as long as you don´t beat anyone of her Pokemon before setting up Quiver Dance and Nasty Plot. A shame you didn´t choose Bulbasaur as your starter as Leech Seed on Muk would make your Venomoth pretty much invulnerable. Against Radomus you shouldnt use Venomoth as it has now a 4 x Weakness against Psyshic because of his Chess Field and should probably take Nidoqueen/-king instead as they only take neutral damage from Psychic.

Yeah, I can't really use more than one Quiver Dance because there really are no good chances to buff. Then again, Lucario is really the only one that might outspeed Venomoth and I plan to use Skuntank's Flamethrower/Toxicroak's Revenge on that one. Toxicroak and Skuntank (possibly Drapion) will really be the ones that take home the victory, I think.

I'm also planning on taking a Nidoqueen. It's got more bulky than Nidoking, and can learn Superpower via heart scale as opposed to Nidoking's Megahorn which would be my third Pokemon with bug moves. Nidoking extra power hardly matters with Sheer Force, which is perfect for it's moveset.

Yet again, the Fire-type trainer before the Gym Leader was tougher than the actual GL.

For Cal, Drapion and Toxicroak(it was raining) did most of the work, Arbok helped out with debuffs. Toxicroak was spamming Mud Bomb and Drapion kept using Knock Off (which I relearned instead of Night Slash. 5 base power less and gets rid of held items). Nothing survived more than 2 hits.

For Kiki, Drapion set TS (which her Toxicroak absorbed soon) and used Knock Off for Machamp's Leftovers(want!). And then, Venomoth came. Used Sleep Powder on Machamp, got 2 Quiver Dances, used Psywave. When Lucario came in, I got another 2 Quiver Dances. Only Gallade and Lucario didn't get eliminated in one shot, though they were too busy buffing themselves to actually do anything. I'll take it.

I promise not to use Venomoth's QD in Aya's gym, it'd completely kill this very lively topic.

As always, the team (trying something new here):

452.gif049.gif024.gif435.gif454.gif503.gif

Drapion Lv40 Venomoth Lv42 Arbok Lv39 Skuntank Lv40 Toxicroak Lv41 Samurott Lv43

Battle Armor Tinted Lens Intimidate Aftermath Dry Skin Battle Armor

Impish Modest Lonely Timid Gentle Jolly

Shadow Ball Sleep Powder Screech Flamethrower Mud Bomb Razor Shell

Poison Fang Psybeam Glare Shadow Ball Sucker Punch Revenge

Toxic Spikes Quiver Dance Acid Spray Acid Spray Revenge Grass Knot

Knock Off Bug Buzz Ice Fang Screech Shadow Ball Megahorn

So yeah, Arbok is mainly a supporter now. It can lower attack, both defences and speed via Paralysis. I'll swap Ice Fang for Thunder Fang when I get a Heart Scale. I'll also need a Heart Scale for Drapion's Bug Bite.

And now we get to the area I've been looking forward to for quite a while. The WASTELAND!! Oh, wait, it's not a fun place. It should be Wasteland, especially considering how many Poison types I can get there! Scolipede, Crobat, Gengar... and that's it. There's not many, but still more than enough for me(though Scolipede is kinda unnecessary).

well build team. I think this is the best poison team till that moment in-game. When you can reach Wasteland maybe it will be over with 4 new powerful poison pkms: Gengar/ Crobat/ Nidoking/ and Scolipede (this thing is so underated- just breed Sword dance, Poison Jab for him, and with Speed Boost you can reach a "poison form" of Blaziken, or you can just Baton Pass that buff ATK and SPEED for Drapion and let it sweep).

Edited by gutten_tag

well build team. I think this is the best poison team till that moment in-game. When you can reach Wasteland maybe it will be over with 4 new powerful poison pkms: Gengar/ Crobat/ Nidoking/ and Scolipede (this thing is so underated- just breed Sword dance, Poison Jab for him, and with Speed Boost you can reach a "poison form" of Blaziken, or you can just Baton Pass that buff ATK and SPEED for Drapion and let it sweep).

AND there's the Whatever Stone for Roserade on Azurine Island. Thing is, I have no flippin' idea who to switch with who. Sure, I'll swap Venomoth for Scolipede (improved sweeping) , but that's all I know for now. Any recommendations from you?

Personally, I'd keep the venomoth and drop skuntank for scolipede. Venomoth feels far more useful than skuntank imo.

Question: how do you breed swords dance onto scolipede? The TM isn't compatible with venipede.

Edited by Hally

AND there's the Whatever Stone for Roserade on Azurine Island. Thing is, I have no flippin' idea who to switch with who. Sure, I'll swap Venomoth for Scolipede (improved sweeping) , but that's all I know for now. Any recommendations from you?

i'll make some advices here, but maybe it'll take some hours to do all of it, so maybbe you just pick one if you like:

1, when you get Gastly, use Stunfisk and Muk to breed Thunderbolt and Sludge Bomb for Gengar, then replace Abrok with it. You will need that Thunderbolt for coverage.

2, Scolipede is very important, so my idea is breed Sword Dance for it, then use it for Baton passer (it only need one atk move- Megahorn) and replace Venomoth with this.

3, Roserade (that Whatever Stone is Shiny Stone -_-) is so power. 125 base sp.atk. But still, it need breeding for Sludge Bomb (and you can breed even Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb for it- like what i'm doing now :v, but it will take lots of chain-breed and i think Giga drain is enough).

4, Keep Drapion. This thing will love the passer Speed Boost and sword Dance. And it destroy Randomus.

5, Toxicroak is useless. When we can get epi 12, I got a chain breeding for Toxicroak with this moveset: Bulk Up/ Drain Punch/ Sucker Punch/ Poison Jab, and maybe till this time he will be useful. Revenge got -4 priority, so you can kill something with it, and the next turn you die. It can't tank too much hit. For now, mostly useless. And replace it with Crobat or Nidoking.

6, Finally: Skuntank. Keep it. Fire move is important. If you can get Technician Hidden power Fire Roserade (like me -_-), you can kick this thing out, but now it still useful.

EDIT: now i remember: still need Fighting move for Luna team (especially Tyranitar). But Revenge Toxicroak will never work, because Tyranitar will OHKO you with Earthquake. Seriously, Dark team is a problem. And Toxicroak still useful bcz it can use Sucker Punch against Randomus, but i don't think it can OHKO anything when lacking STAB. Maybe you'll need some hax :v

Edited by gutten_tag

To be honest, you'll notice that Cain breaks his monotype with another pokemon later on. You'll find out soon enough. >>;

Get a sandile.

Look at the top of the page. I'll try to keep this a "pure"-ish run.

i'll make some advices here, but maybe it'll take some hours to do all of it, so maybbe you just pick one if you like:

1, when you get Gastly, use Stunfisk and Muk to breed Thunderbolt and Sludge Bomb for Gengar, then replace Abrok with it. You will need that Thunderbolt for coverage.

2, Scolipede is very important, so my idea is breed Sword Dance for it, then use it for Baton passer (it only need one atk move- Megahorn) and replace Venomoth with this.

3, Roserade (that Whatever Stone is Shiny Stone -_-) is so power. 125 base sp.atk. But still, it need breeding for Sludge Bomb (and you can breed even Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb for it- like what i'm doing now :v, but it will take lots of chain-breed and i think Giga drain is enough).

4, Keep Drapion. This thing will love the passer Speed Boost and sword Dance. And it destroy Randomus.

5, Toxicroak is useless. When we can get epi 12, I got a chain breeding for Toxicroak with this moveset: Bulk Up/ Drain Punch/ Sucker Punch/ Poison Jab, and maybe till this time he will be useful. Revenge got -4 priority, so you can kill something with it, and the next turn you die. It can't tank too much hit. For now, mostly useless. And replace it with Crobat or Nidoking.

6, Finally: Skuntank. Keep it. Fire move is important. If you can get Technician Hidden power Fire Roserade (like me -_-), you can kick this thing out, but now it still useful.

EDIT: now i remember: still need Fighting move for Luna team (especially Tyranitar). But Revenge Toxicroak will never work, because Tyranitar will OHKO you with Earthquake. Seriously, Dark team is a problem. And Toxicroak still useful bcz it can use Sucker Punch against Randomus, but i don't think it can OHKO anything when lacking STAB. Maybe you'll need some hax :v

1.Will do. I'll gladly switch Arbok's support for Gengar's power and Levitate.

2.Who would be best for breeding SD onto it?

3.I'd settle for Giga Drain, though it could use Sludge Bomb.

4.I wasn't planning on switching it out, so yeah.

5.Yeah, it's not that great. I think Crobat will take the spot.

6.I don't think my Roserade will have Technician, Roselia doesn't have Leaf Guard right now and breeding till I get one feels like too much work for me. How would I get Hidden Power onto it?

7.In my regular run, Leavanny destroyed most of the gym, so I'll settle for a buffed Scolipede or Drapion, maybe even Samurott(has Megahorn).

Edited by 13243546

2.Who would be best for breeding SD onto it?

6.I don't think my Roserade will have Technician, Roselia doesn't have Leaf Guard right now and breeding till I get one feels like too much work for me. How would I get Hidden Power onto it?

For the sword dance, there are only 2 choices for you: Gligar in episode 9 or Pinsir in Advanturine Forrest.

And for the hidden power: only luck can get you that hidden power fire. You can check Hidden Power type in Appocaphill Gym (an old man in a small room). But anyway, Fire move is improtant, or you will have a very hard time against Fern's Ferrothorn. I might suggest Venusaur with this moveset: Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Growth, Giga drain/ but basically it comes late, you have to get a Chimecho, you need a lot of chain breeding, and basically Roserade can do much better than Venusaur (the only thing Venusaur better than Queen of Grass type is Chlorophill and Drought Ninetales, but you can't use nine-tail-fox, so ignore it). Good luck ^_^

You can check Hidden Power type in Appocaphill Gym (an old man in a small room)

Yeah .. Hidden Power is sorta 'broken' in e11 in that when Fairy types were added, one of the internal metrics isn't working as intended. This guy'll correctly tell you what the Hidden Power type is ingame (he has a dialogue newline problem though) but if you were to use an online calc to figure out what it should really be, it would be different.

For the sword dance, there are only 2 choices for you: Gligar in episode 9 or Pinsir in Advanturine Forrest.

And for the hidden power: only luck can get you that hidden power fire. You can check Hidden Power type in Appocaphill Gym (an old man in a small room). But anyway, Fire move is improtant, or you will have a very hard time against Fern's Ferrothorn. I might suggest Venusaur with this moveset: Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Growth, Giga drain/ but basically it comes late, you have to get a Chimecho, you need a lot of chain breeding, and basically Roserade can do much better than Venusaur (the only thing Venusaur better than Queen of Grass type is Chlorophill and Drought Ninetales, but you can't use nine-tail-fox, so ignore it). Good luck ^_^

Pinsir it is, then. If I didn't go back to E10 to get a super-early Zubat, I sure as hell won't go back for Gligar.

And for Hidden Power, I didin't mean: "How do I get HP Fire onto Roserade?" I wanna know how to get the actual move Hidden Power. If there's a TM in Reborn, I definitely haven't found it.

Yeah .. Hidden Power is sorta 'broken' in e11 in that when Fairy types were added, one of the internal metrics isn't working as intended. This guy'll correctly tell you what the Hidden Power type is ingame (he has a dialogue newline problem though) but if you were to use an online calc to figure out what it should really be, it would be different.

So if he tells me I have HP Fire, it will be HP Fire? Is there any way to figure out the type before I get to him?

Edited by 13243546

Pinsir it is, then. If I didn't go back to E10 to get a super-early Zubat, I sure as hell won't go back for Gligar.

And for Hidden Power, I didin't mean: "How do I get HP Fire onto Roserade?" I wanna know how to get the actual move Hidden Power. If there's a TM in Reborn, I definitely haven't found it.

So if he tells me I have HP Fire, it will be HP Fire? Is there any way to figure out the type before I get to him?

yeah, if he says HP fire, then it will be Fire type move in-game (actually i don't check that IVs in real main seri-games about that, but sure the HP type in-game is correct). Hidden Power is a reward for beating Noel (Normal gym leader), so you will have to wait -_-.

yeah, if he says HP fire, then it will be Fire type move in-game (actually i don't check that IVs in real main seri-games about that, but sure the HP type in-game is correct).

If he says it'll be HP Fire, then it'll be HP Fire in-game for e11 .. but I've since fixed it in e12, so it'll change to whatever the "true" HP type is.

I'm pretty sure Noel gives it to you.

LOL, you don't need Hidden Power fire really. Try this. I've just use this move set for Roserade. Fern will cry when he meet you: (how could i forgot that Roserade got Weather ball via Heart scale- so sad), Weather Ball in Sunny day is 150 Fire power. Destroy every Grass on the field. You could run both Roserade and Venusaur with this moveset, and Roserade hold Heat rock (Venusaur with Growth and Chlorophill will love it). Sunny will bring tear to Luna too (when it'll deactivate the "darkness field"). So stupid Fern and Luna are no longer problem :v :v
imo, just this combo from Venusaur and Roserade is enough. 2 vs 6 of Luna, i'll try it right now when i grind both of them EVs train and to lv 60 :v

yeah, if he says HP fire, then it will be Fire type move in-game (actually i don't check that IVs in real main seri-games about that, but sure the HP type in-game is correct). Hidden Power is a reward for beating Noel (Normal gym leader), so you will have to wait -_-.

Wow, I completely forgot that. I guess having a purely Physical team does that to you.

LOL, you don't need Hidden Power fire really. Try this. I've just use this move set for Roserade. Fern will cry when he meet you: (how could i forgot that Roserade got Weather ball via Heart scale- so sad), Weather Ball in Sunny day is 150 Fire power. Destroy every Grass on the field. You could run both Roserade and Venusaur with this moveset, and Roserade hold Heat rock (Venusaur with Growth and Chlorophill will love it). Sunny will bring tear to Luna too (when it'll deactivate the "darkness field"). So stupid Fern and Luna are no longer problem :v :v

imo, just this combo from Venusaur and Roserade is enough. 2 vs 6 of Luna, i'll try it right now when i grind both of them EVs train and to lv 60 :v

Using both might make it too easy + I'm no fan of Venusaur. Though that Roserade does look amazing. Who do I use to get Sludge Bomb onto it? And is the Sunny Day TM before or after Radomus?

EDIT: Actually, who could I use to breed Venoshock onto it? Might be more useful than Sludge Bomb if I get someone to use Toxic Spikes, perhaps Scolipede, that could work.

Edited by 13243546

Using both might make it too easy + I'm no fan of Venusaur. Though that Roserade does look amazing. Who do I use to get Sludge Bomb onto it? And is the Sunny Day TM before or after Radomus?

EDIT: Actually, who could I use to breed Venoshock onto it? Might be more useful than Sludge Bomb if I get someone to use Toxic Spikes, perhaps Scolipede, that could work.

good idea indeed. even Roserade can lay some Toxic spike too (roselia can learn it), but i still like Sludge Bomb more. Reliable power, 30% poison, and it can hit Flying type (who immune to spikes) much better. And to breed Sludge bomb for Roselia, follow these steps (i know, too much works, but it's a worthy reward):

Muk------> Stunfisk (you still need it for Gengar) -----> Wooper (too easy to get on Azuril Island)------> Snubull (an event pokemon) ----> Roselia. That's what i use.

And for Venoshock, I got no idea how to breed it to Roselia. Maybe i'll search for it if you want (because i've never used it before)

And yeah, i think this combo Roserade- Venusaur with Sunny is too powerful for Fern or Luna to handle -_-

And for the TM Sunny day, i joined Magma gang (the only way to get Lanturn in-game), so i got it long before Randomus. If you go with Aqua gang, you have to go to 7th street to get it (so it'll be after Randomus)

Edited by gutten_tag

I just tried pinsir. Male pinsir with swords dance and female scolipede. The hatched venipede does not have swords dance.

I just tried pinsir. Male pinsir with swords dance and female scolipede. The hatched venipede does not have swords dance.

wow, my bad. Venipede can't learn Sword Dance. So sorry about that. So the best options to breed for Venipede now is Poison Jab and Toxic Spike (both can learn from a male Breedril is the easiest way) and you can get this moveset: Poison jab/ Megahorn/ Baton pass/ Toxic Spike or Iron Defense (for passer) or whatever you like. (and Speed boost of course)

When breeding move, you have to make sure that the pre-evolution of that pkm can learn the move. Like Nidoking can learn Flamethrower, but Nidoran can;t learn it, so you can't breed it. This is my false @@. Sorry again @@.

EDIT: reallllllly sorry again. This is the result of "searching" but not "real doing" things. I breed too much in game, but i still cannot breed all of it to make sure all things work. :'(

Edited by gutten_tag