Custom Character swap during an in-progress game

Colthorn

So I figured out how to create custom characters, but what I'm curious about is how the sprite swapping actually works. I have a game going on right now that I would like to use a custom character for, but I don't know if swapping sprites in the middle of a game would break anything or not. I suppose I could try using a different computer to run tests with, but it'd be really sick if someone already had an answer. Many thanks!~

If I'm not mistaken, it loads all the sprites and such each time you launch the game. So as long as the game isn't currently running there shouldn't be anything that would go wrong. I'm not an expert though so if you want to wait for someone more experienced in this topic to reply that's fine, but I think you should be ok.

5 hours ago, Rendolf said:

If I'm not mistaken, it loads all the sprites and such each time you launch the game. So as long as the game isn't currently running there shouldn't be anything that would go wrong. I'm not an expert though so if you want to wait for someone more experienced in this topic to reply that's fine, but I think you should be ok.

Awesome, thanks! This was super helpful

I'm no expert either, but I've customized shiny sprites in Pokemon Rejuv, Reborn, and Desolation, though only swapping color palates. If you changed them while the game was open, it would not register the change until you reloaded it.

The same likely goes with editing the other sprites. Not sure on the creating part, though, as that mighty involve editing save files and script editing,