Battle Pavilion Strategies

Vulnona

Hey-ho! 

Yup, this is a bit embarrassing, but... 

Spoiler

I'm at the very last Tier 7 postgame quest and to start the hunt for Mewtwo, I need to win five consecutive battles in the Battle Pavilion. 

And I'm struggling. 

I wonder whether some people found a good, reliable strategy to carry them through the pavilion battles. 

(I have found that I rely WAY too much on Revival Herbs and battle items, and since they are banned there...) 

It actually isn't that easy! I try to never use any legendaries, but had to use a magearna this time. Trick room is a reliable strategy, and got me to the 5th battle quite frequently. I mainly led carbink to set it up and for some utility/ chip damage, then dealt damage with alolan marowak or magearna. Thing is, for any strategy you choose you will find some teams that counter you, so you'll likely need some tries. A mon I had tried and gave me incredible results was wobuffet, guaranteed kills in 1v1, if in trick room may take 2 thanks to destiny bond. 

Other strategies you may use would be electro web galvantula, or a prankster screen/terrain setter, and then a set up sweeper, giving maybe a berry for status conditions. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 6:30 AM, Vulnona said:

Hey-ho! 

Yup, this is a bit embarrassing, but... 

Hide contents

I'm at the very last Tier 7 postgame quest and to start the hunt for Mewtwo, I need to win five consecutive battles in the Battle Pavilion. 

And I'm struggling. 

I wonder whether some people found a good, reliable strategy to carry them through the pavilion battles. 

(I have found that I rely WAY too much on Revival Herbs and battle items, and since they are banned there...) 

Use OU Smogon strategies and turn off fields.
Or something. 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:58 AM, Blontary said:

It actually isn't that easy! I try to never use any legendaries, but had to use a magearna this time. Trick room is a reliable strategy, and got me to the 5th battle quite frequently. I mainly led carbink to set it up and for some utility/ chip damage, then dealt damage with alolan marowak or magearna. Thing is, for any strategy you choose you will find some teams that counter you, so you'll likely need some tries. A mon I had tried and gave me incredible results was wobuffet, guaranteed kills in 1v1, if in trick room may take 2 thanks to destiny bond. 

Other strategies you may use would be electro web galvantula, or a prankster screen/terrain setter, and then a set up sweeper, giving maybe a berry for status conditions. 

I DID IT I DID IT YOU ARE BEST PERSON!!!!!! 

Edit: I used Sticky Web Ribombee, Garchomp, and Magearna. Also, I realised that due to the new way IVs can be gained through EVs, I had essentially crippled all my 252 Pokémon into completely muddled EVs because I had no idea that was happening. (Like, I saw these phrases pop up that some Pokes gained speed, but I had no idea what that was all about... until today.) 

... Good, I'm just so happy I can continue postgame!!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vulnona said:

Edit: I used Sticky Web Ribombee, Garchomp, and Magearna. Also, I realised that due to the new way IVs can be gained through EVs, I had essentially crippled all my 252 Pokémon into completely muddled EVs because I had no idea that was happening. (Like, I saw these phrases pop up that some Pokes gained speed, but I had no idea what that was all about... until today.) 

Congrats! The Battle Pavillion isn't all that difficult, but you need to bring a proper 3 mon strategy rather than a generally well-balanced team of 6, which throws a lot of people off.

15 hours ago, Vulnona said:

The EV turning into IVs is a mod dude though

2 hours ago, Blontary said:

The EV turning into IVs is a mod dude though

Yeah, I messed up 😭

I have a clean copy of the game on my laptop and a modded version on a second device. I had originally only installed it to check whether you can obtain this awesome Crystal Aegislash, but then I won against Eclipse and didn't want to do that on the clean file, too, so I just kept going 😅

And now I'll have to EV retrain my favourite eight Pokémon again... or just beat Eclipse a second time. 

Spoiler

But aaaaaah, then I will have to do the Pavilion again, and GOD, that Anna fight at the end!! Noooooooo!!!! Too soon 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Vulnona said:

Yeah, I messed up 😭

I have a clean copy of the game on my laptop and a modded version on a second device. I had originally only installed it to check whether you can obtain this awesome Crystal Aegislash, but then I won against Eclipse and didn't want to do that on the clean file, too, so I just kept going 😅

And now I'll have to EV retrain my favourite eight Pokémon again... or just beat Eclipse a second time. 

Hide contents

But aaaaaah, then I will have to do the Pavilion again, and GOD, that Anna fight at the end!! Noooooooo!!!! Too soon 

Hide contents

Well EV training is kinda easy with the objects, come on ;) 

54 minutes ago, Blontary said:

Well EV training is kinda easy with the objects, come on ;) 

Haha, yeah, you're right, it's a dream😊

And eh. I'll probably start a new run anyway once my Pokedex is full :)

Can't wait to meet Ace! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah I remember doing this as well. I used to play a lot of competitive singles back in gens 5-6 (when I didn't have a job) so instead of giving you exact pokemon I'll give some general things anyone reading this will want

1. Since singles is only 3 pokemon, hazards (aside from sticky webs) aren't really that big of a deal. If you're using a pokemon with a 4x weakness to rock (most likely charizard or volcarona,) then I highly recommend adding a defogger/rapid spinner to your team.

2. Every pokemon should have a different role. Since singles is with only 3 pokemon, the roles I suggest having are

a. offensive lead. Usually this mon is responsible for hazards but since hazards aren't as big of a deal with 3 pokemon I suggest a decently bulky pokemon that hits hard and that can easily pivot into your other 2 mons. Examples include volt switch Rotom (recommend wash since heat is gonna take 1/4 dmg to stealth rock) and u-turn gliscor

b. wall. Tanky, reliable, and can easy to switch into. Think of this as the pillar to your team. Usually walls will stall with toxic damage and can heal themselves. Examples include ferrothorn, regenerator toxapex, unaware quagsire/clefable, amoongus, and eviolite chansey.

c. cleanup. Fast, powerful, and usually bad defenses. Cleanup mons outspeed partially damaged pokemon and finish them off with ease. Recommended that this pokemon uses the attack type your lead doesn't (i.e special attacker if your lead is a physical attacker.) Examples include speed boost blaziken, moxie gyarados, and excadril.

Additional info: If possible make sure your team doesn't have 2 pokemon weak to the same type. Light clay with a screen setter such as alolan ninetails or prankster meowstic will also be really nice, especially if you want to sweep with a single mon (e.g dragon dance gyarados or swords dance excadrill.) Give items that work well with pokemon, and don't ignore the fact that you have access to every single weakness berry. 

If you want to know what I ran to win though here's what I ran (I did not breed for IVs)

1. Togekiss (Defensive Lead)

Item: Light Clay

Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe 252 HP 6 SpA
Light Screen
Reflect
Air Slash
Wish

2. Quagsire (Wall for setup mons)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 Sp De 252 HP 6 De
Curse
Earthquake
Toxic
Recover

3. Blaziken (Cleanup)
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Spe 252 Atk 6 HP
Protect
High-Jump Kick
Flare Blitz
Swords Dance

If you want to copy that by all means do so. All you really need to do is set up screens with togekiss, wish, switch into blaziken/quagsire, and usually you'll be able to win from there. If you are having trouble with the... last battle, then sub out any of these mons for something like aegislash or weavile. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...