Passwords

Poketool

Have been playing E1 for some time and was wondering about passwords. When the player starts they are asked by Ame to type in a password. Through the game the player is informed of various passwords. As far as I can tell there is no in game explanation for what these passwords as for.  Only after some research I have found out that the passwords implement various challenge modes impart various mods and so forth.

Would it not be useful to have some in game menu/guide for the player so as they know what these passwords are for. Perhaps an option at the start to implement a challenge mode, nuzlocke, monotype run or randomizer, and the game sets it up for you.

17 minutes ago, Mei-o_Scarlett said:

mean when they explain the password to you, it hints at what the password does

and theres an entire excel sheet for this anyways

Forgive me for being dumb. Where does one find this Excel spreadsheet? 

So you have to play through the game to find out passwords, then start a new game to input them when prompted by Ame?

28 minutes ago, Poketool said:

Forgive me for being dumb. Where does one find this Excel spreadsheet? 

So you have to play through the game to find out passwords, then start a new game to input them when prompted by Ame?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NmNBklcSI_OqWKMAaJ_WyqjBJ5J7lo3IuwTftIaJlIw/edit#gid=1480144547
the excel spreadsheet, you can add passwords when prompted by Ame or at a PC with a data chip.
PS: Passwords are modifications to the game and you don't necessarily need to use them, just some QoL upgrades and preferences.

Edited by Vibes

Anything that requires you to look outside the game in order to find out what it is, is pooly designed.

Look at it from the perspective of someone new. That person really shouldn't have to have 3 spreadsheets open just to play the game. That's not a friendly environment. If that's what you want, fair play. But it's a bad model to go for. You need to explain it and offer up easy-to-use UIs inside the game to make sure newcomers do not get overwhelmed by the amount of prep required just to play. And think how disheartening it is to find out later on what they mean, and then either having to grind for data chips or restart your game to activate some simple Quality of Life mods.. I'll say this, if that was me my first playthrough I would have quit then and there and not looked back.

Furthermore, QoL changes shouldn't be gated behind anything. Data Chips? The fuck is that. Why am I not just allowed to apply mods/challenges when I see fit? What's the thinking here, you know, besides making people spend more time grinding?

And, with respect, if I can't just activate whatever I want I'll just get mods that allow me to do so, without having restrictions like Data Chips. I appreciate the thought but your execution is wanting. The point of mods is to make life easier.. to cut down on the grind so we get to play the parts that matters, the parts that are fun and interesting. However if the system is kept as is, I would bet big money that there will be an increase in demand for mods like they used to be. Drop a folder and enjoy. Your job is to make it at least as easy or easier than that.

Grinding is not content.

At the start of the game, just like what's done in Pokemon Redux, just offer up a Yes/No question "Do you want to add mods or challenges?," pressing Yes opens up a new tab that let's you pick whichever mods and challenges are available.

Drop the Data Chips. It's pointless and a waste of time. And then drop the "passwords"-idea (it's bad) and implement the above.

It's in Redux. The fans of your game have literally told you exactly how they like it, EXACTLY how they want it.. why not listen? :/

It's that simple..

Sorry. Just read the message through and realized it came across a bit hostile. I was really excited to hear they had implemented these QoL changes, added in challenges into the game and then it's rather disappointing to find out the manner in which it's done. It's.. sad. Unprofessional, even. And honestly gating the features is straight up disrespectful to the players in my opinion.

It's still a beta version so I am hoping Ame learns and implements these features properly.

• Disregard 7

2 hours ago, Siv said:

Anything that requires you to look outside the game in order to find out what it is, is pooly designed.

Furthermore, QoL changes shouldn't be gated behind anything. Data Chips? The fuck is that. Why am I not just allowed to apply mods/challenges when I see fit? What's the thinking here, you know, besides making people spend more time playing the game?

**Grinding is not content.**

At the start of the game, just like what's done in Pokemon Redux, just offer up a Yes/No question "Do you want to add mods or challenges?," pressing Yes opens up a new tab that let's you pick whichever mods and challenges are available.

And drop the Data Chips. It's pointless and a waste of time.

It's that simple..

get over yourself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Siv said:

Look at it from the perspective of someone new. That person really shouldn't have to have 3 spreadsheets open just to play the game. That's not a friendly environment. If that's what you want, fair play. But it's a bad model to go for. You need to explain it and offer up easy-to-use UIs inside the game to make sure newcomers do not get overwhelmed by the amount of prep required just to play. And think how disheartening it is to find out later on what they mean, and then either having to grind for data chips or restart your game to activate some simple Quality of Life mods.. I'll say this, if that was me my first playthrough I would have quit then and there and not looked back.

Furthermore, QoL changes shouldn't be gated behind anything. Data Chips? The fuck is that. Why am I not just allowed to apply mods/challenges when I see fit? What's the thinking here, you know, besides making people spend more time grinding?

And, with respect, if I can't just activate whatever I want I'll just get mods that allow me to do so, without having restrictions like Data Chips. I appreciate the thought but your execution is wanting. The point of mods is to make life easier.. to cut down on the grind so we get to play the parts that matters, the parts that are fun and interesting. However if the system is kept as is, I would bet big money that there will be an increase in demand for mods like they used to be. Drop a folder and enjoy. Your job is to make it at least as easy or easier than that.

Grinding is not content.

Drop the Data Chips. It's pointless and a waste of time. And then drop the "passwords"-idea (it's bad) and implement the above.

It's in Redux. The fans of your game have literally told you exactly how they like it, EXACTLY how they want it.. why not listen? :/

It's that simple..

Sorry. Just read the message through and realized it came across a bit hostile. I was really excited to hear they had implemented these QoL changes, added in challenges into the game and then it's rather disappointing to find out the manner in which it's done. It's.. sad. Unprofessional, even. And honestly gating the features is straight up disrespectful to the players in my opinion.

It's still a beta version so I am hoping Ame learns and implements these features properly.

I think its clearly you who misunderstands and needs to take more time to understand something properly.  Both you and the OP need to realize a few things. Setting aside the spreadsheet "cheat sheet" :

Passwords are more or less Easter eggs/QoL stuff, that rewards you AS YOU PLAY THE GAME. You can find those passwords sprinkled throughout the game through exploring and talking to other characters. It rewards you for playing the game well, and so in turn give you some ways to make your life easier, especially since the game as a whole is meant to be played multiple times thanks to route splits. These passwords make the game easier in some cases, challenging in others, and even fun depending on what the player chooses to do with and make use of the passwords.

The passwords provided with the game are some freebies that you get right off the start of your adventure. There is way more than that, but those should be earned. Yes, you can google and search for additional passwords, but that's not the true spirit of the game, and frankly trying to tell someone you hope they "properly" implement your misguided understanding is just plain bad taste. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sirrobert said:

The readme.txt inside the game folder has a list of the basic passwords, and what they do.

It is typically a good idea to read the readme.

First off, I know.

Second, games are now suppoised to come with a how-to manual and homework?

1 hour ago, Ravenleaf182 said:

I think its clearly you who misunderstands and needs to take more time to understand something properly.  Both you and the OP need to realize a few things. Setting aside the spreadsheet "cheat sheet" :

Passwords are more or less Easter eggs/QoL stuff, that rewards you AS YOU PLAY THE GAME. You can find those passwords sprinkled throughout the game through exploring and talking to other characters. It rewards you for playing the game well, and so in turn give you some ways to make your life easier, especially since the game as a whole is meant to be played multiple times thanks to route splits. These passwords make the game easier in some cases, challenging in others, and even fun depending on what the player chooses to do with and make use of the passwords.

The passwords provided with the game are some freebies that you get right off the start of your adventure. There is way more than that, but those should be earned. Yes, you can google and search for additional passwords, but that's not the true spirit of the game, and frankly trying to tell someone you hope they "properly" implement your misguided understanding is just plain bad taste. 

Yes, QoL stuff. It should be an easy option to enable at the start. I can get behind the challenge stuff as it mostly applies to players who have completed the game before. But even still, I know a few seasoned Pokemon players who I've introduced the game to who love mono runs and jumped straight into them on their first go. What would the harm be in allowing them the mono-X-type password right off the bat? Why should it be a requirement to have to run through the game previously?

Both of them basically used mods in order to achieve the same thing.

Gating these features is only done to force people to keep playing the game. It would be nice if this was above that kind of "content." It's sad.

And by the way: You can't tell me the true spirit of passwords is to reward you as you play with "easter eggs (lol)" and then give away passwords before the game has even started.. that goes directly against your own idea of what they're "supposed to be." That's contradicting yourself.

It's a common and cheap tactic used in maaany games to keep players inside the game as long as possible. Can we at least not pretend it's anything but that?

2 hours ago, Faint said:

get over yourself.

no u

• Disregard 5

29 minutes ago, Siv said:

First off, I know.

Second, games are now suppoised to come with a how-to manual and homework?

Yes, QoL stuff. It should be an easy option to enable at the start. I can get behind the challenge stuff as it mostly applies to players who have completed the game before. But even still, I know a few seasoned Pokemon players who I've introduced the game to who love mono runs and jumped straight into them on their first go. What would the harm be in allowing them the mono-X-type password right off the bat? Why should it be a requirement to have to run through the game previously?

Both of them basically used mods in order to achieve the same thing.

Gating these features is only done to force people to keep playing the game. It would be nice if this was above that kind of "content." It's sad.

And by the way: You can't tell me the true spirit of passwords is to reward you as you play with "easter eggs (lol)" and then give away passwords before the game has even started.. that goes directly against your own idea of what they're "supposed to be." That's contradicting yourself.

It's a common and cheap tactic used in maaany games to keep players inside the game as long as possible. Can we at least not pretend it's anything but that?

no u

what on earth are you on? 

Nes%20manual%20bags%20001(1).jpg

That's back from the 80's. Reborn comes with a "readme" file, with "READ ME" literally in the name. You're fighting really hard to justify either your laziness or to hide you are embarrassed you're straight up wrong, but you're just making it worse. You are totally in the wrong, just cut your losses and accept that. Nobody is trying to make life harder on you, you're doing that to yourself with your ridiculous claims and trying to stand on a soap box taller than yourself. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Ravenleaf182 said:

what on earth are you on? 

Nes%20manual%20bags%20001(1).jpg

That's back from the 80's. Reborn comes with a "readme" file, with "READ ME" literally in the name. You're fighting really hard to justify either your laziness or to hide you are embarrassed you're straight up wrong, but you're just making it worse. You are totally in the wrong, just cut your losses and accept that. Nobody is trying to make life harder on you, you're doing that to yourself with your ridiculous claims and trying to stand on a soap box taller than yourself. 

Including control buttons, maps and potential strategies aren't the same as including what's supposed to be "easter eggs.," or QoL mods.

Could you give an example?

I've played various games at a high competitive level, I'm used to doing team practice, strategy analysis as well as PTR testing in order to stay ahead of the curve on release day. Don't talk to me about laziness lmao. That is not the same as having to read through a list of passwords for simple QoL changes when it is far better to include that into a simple and easy-to-use UI inside the game. And read below, I have no problem admitting to mistakes. We all fuck up, I just don't believe I'm wrong in this instance.

And again, none of this gives a reason why passwords are gate-locked features. Your reason is "they're easter eggs!" - so why would they be included in the manual? If they're meant to reward you for reaching certain milestones within the game or for exploration, why are they included in the read me? That's not what easter eggs are. That's distinctly the oppossite of easter eggs. Furthermore, can you give me a couple examples of easter eggs that drastically changes the game the way these QoL changes do?

That's like saying the Department Store Stickers are easter eggs, too. Lol. Smh.

Also, easter eggs aren't typically (if ever?) restricted behind something akin to their Data Chips-system. They're nuggets of lore or a homage that are found by exploring games. That's been my experience, at least and I welcome examples that shows me otherwise.

Why wouldn't I simply just add in the mods myself instead of going through the hassle? 

Pokemon Redux did it beautifully with their Hardmode, Randomizer, Item ban, etc features. Why not do the same?

What's the reason? What's the harm in allowing newcomers access to QoL mods? Challenge mods? Why lock those features behind a gate? Why not create a way to activate them like Redux did, so you 1) don't have to read through forum posts to find them and 2) don't have to read through READ ME for these mods?

Why even have Options in the game? Smh, just learn to code and change it yourself! Why even have Controls inside the game? Just include it in the READ ME and if people want to change controls - just learn to read code and change it yourself! Stop being lazy, people. Come on!

But hey, keep attacking me instead of making your arguments. If anything, you're really just letting me know you don't really know yourselves, because so far, you haven't answered anything at all.

I've seen it over and over and it's the same thing. Gate-locked features and content implemented purely to keep people on the hook. It's a sad and cheap trick.. and way too commonly used by developers :/

1 hour ago, Sirrobert said:

No, they're not now supposed to come with a manual.

They have always come with a manual.

You're right, I should have specified that I didn't equate these to reading through controls explanations and options. That's on me. I should have worded that differently.

Also, your only arguments are games from the 80s so far, are you saying we should stop improving? I know "everything was better in the 80s" but I thinik that's taking it a bit too far.

• Disregard 4

I can't believe it has to come to this.... This is my last put on this subject. I already blocked you, whatever else you want to argue is on you. But I will address a full "argument" for you based on what I saw you complaining about that you are assuring is the devs issues, inadequacy and no way you projecting your inability to read and follow basic instructions. I will put pictures in spoilers cus I am going to need a lot here since that makes things most clear.

firstly, you made fun of my use of term "Easter Eggs"...lets go to what an easter egg is defined as, per google, first result: 

Spoiler

image.png.0992ba8e70d9c805692ccc86b5a38e41.png

Going by that, the fact there is people that reward progress by playing the game and hunting and talking to various optional NPCs with hidden events, they, are in fact Easter Eggs. 

That out of the way, lets talk about the QoL you are so adamant that is lacking and mad about. Here is from the READ ME file directly with the game, which you not only are directed to in the files, but are encouraged to look at in general:

Spoiler

image.png.e87b542855ac59b848f68b4165524f3b.png

image.png.2ba49a5bbf23a4f5207a9addbe6c832d.png

Oh look, not only is there a whole thing that not only gives a bunch of passwords, but it DESCRIBES what they do, has that MONO RUN you were talking about, has HM stuff for QoL, and even tells you all sorts of other nice things, and...get this, the bottom line even lets you know MORE can be found in game.

Your whole schtick is this holier-than-thou thing about how they are "forcing inflated prolonging of the game"...that is literally a you thing. The Devs have spent significant time on this game, there is nothing gained for "forcing players" to play longer, its on you if its your type of thing or not. If its not, hey, they understand that. That's why this forum exists, you know, with people spoiling things and giving SPREAD SHEETS of all the passwords that aren't in the read me, as well as puzzle solutions, pokemon locations, and a plethora of other things. You have options. They made things as challenging as people want them to be, as easy as they want them to be. You're over here throwing a fit because you couldn't be bothered to read and are trying to talk about how "instructions and homework" are a thing now, but you literally never have to look up anything. You can just you know...play the game. You put that work on yourself. It's OPTIONAL. But you're complaining cus it isn't even more on a silver platter for you.

What? Then you want to claim you're being attacked because people pointed out the things you want and are claiming you "know", are right there and you didn't actually read? You want things your way as if it revolves around you instead of literally 100's of users that have different ideas of how to play. That's not cool. I will call you out on it. Or I would, but I have no desire to discuss anything with you because you're hell bent on trying to sound like you're some martyr for undue hardship about a POKEMON GAME that the devs spent YEARS developing and working on and is tons of hours long because you can't be bothered to use the resources here on the forums. The mechanics are built in game. 

This may come as a shock to you, but some people actually *LIKE* hunting and finding those passwords. They enjoy finding things on their own. There is a dopamine rush when a wild encounter happens you knew nothing about. That's a valid way of playing, not just you. You have access to what you want, it exists, this whole "they are forcing people to play longer" is utter nonsense. It's a game. You don't even have to play, nobody is holding a gun to your head. Likewise, nobody is sitting here and forcing you to do "homework" to find your easier way of play. It exists. However you want to encounter it, be it in game or via google or these forums.

I am so done with you.  I am sure you have way more to say, but I have neither patience nor the crayons to keep this going and explaining stuff to you when you are just going to go on and on and on and on how its not your fault you can't do things that most rational people understand and have been doing for years.

Edit: as stated, go ahead and make your case or whatever else have you on how this is me attacking you or whatever else nonsense you want on how there is no argument and you're totally right. I want no part of it, but whatever helps you rest at night I guess. I wasn't trying to be mean, still not, but its really exasperating how much you feel like you deserve easy things that other people have no problem with finding and doing just because you feel you can hide behind this thing of "its not how I like it".

Edited by Ravenleaf182
  • Like 4

Man I took actual lessons on game design 

Even got a diploma for it

And yea no dudes full of shit 

Reading a fcking text document that comes with the game is not bad design lmao 

There would be a point made about bad game design if 

Like say these passwords were to like give free legendaries or some game breaking thing like walk thru walls 

Actual game breaking content 

Literally the ONLY thing thats a good qol that may be needed is hardlvlcap which an npc explains before the first gym and u get a data chip very early on, if u don't want to waste it, u can even just restart your game 

Go touch some grass my brother

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi, locking this since it got so nasty. While discussion is fine, the kind of negativity and insults being exchanged is not. Please be polite when posting