Mono Poison Battles (intense)

nonsensei

I started a mono Poison run & I felt like I wanted to share my endeavours here if that's alright.

So.. I know this is a weird place to start, but I started my run on normal difficulty as I've never tried a mono challenge before, but it was oddly smooth sailing, so I decided to try out intense mode to see how hard it is. Well.. it was hard, alright.
In the end, I decided to just nope Aerodactyl's Tailwind with a Quick Claw RNG check at the beginning of the fight & it finally worked out somehow. Milotic doing godlike job around the end, removing the 2 probably biggest threats. And if anyone wondering, I got Toxapex through mytery egg and often plays major roles in double battles.
I will eventually dig up my save files to redo previous battles on intense, but for now I will just keep progressing.

Edited by nonsensei
  • Like 1

Hello, this battle is definitely a little tricky but I do think some changes could have made this battle more hax free.

You could use slower but more bulkier and stronger mons like A Muk and Dragalge.

And you could also try to use nature power( though Idk how you would deal with typhlosion as every nature power user is grass)  and every nature power user has chlorophyl to match tailwind, this could be decent if you can sack one mon, get another and kill typhlosion.

Lastly you could have also maybe used Bulky Ariados w/ Webs as Aerodactyl always goes for tailwind and krookodile cant kill.

And here comes Amber.
Oh boy.. this was close. That specially bulky Alolan Muk is the MVP this time around. Pretty much my only option for priority moves. Then tricking the AI into using a Shadow Ball to safely pass some speed to Drapion. If you ask why not Knock Off, that's coz I usually keep Drapion around as a Sniper critter, but Night Slash without crit *just* didn't finish off Chandelure which was annoying, so I delevelled it a bit to learn Crunch instead. The rest is pretty straightforward.

5 hours ago, Grimvalent said:

Hello, this battle is definitely a little tricky but I do think some changes could have made this battle more hax free.

You could use slower but more bulkier and stronger mons like A Muk and Dragalge.

And you could also try to use nature power( though Idk how you would deal with typhlosion as every nature power user is grass)  and every nature power user has chlorophyl to match tailwind, this could be decent if you can sack one mon, get another and kill typhlosion.

Lastly you could have also maybe used Bulky Ariados w/ Webs as Aerodactyl always goes for tailwind and krookodile cant kill.

I tried quite a few approaches with bulky 'mons, as you can see in the Amber battle I got them around, just didn't quite work out. I certainly didn't try the Ariados approach, though. Maybe I will give it a shot later.
Thanks for the tip.

Edited by nonsensei

Nice Trick Room, Amanda... It would a shame if I brought my own slow 'mons & buy time until it runs out.
That Heat Wave crit at the end, though, oof.

And since these are pretty much back to back fights, I also got the Erick fight. He gave me a pretty hard time despite my initial assumption that I'd have it easier since Murkwater counts as homeground to me as well. Pretty much nothing I had was safe to switch in besides Nidoking. Good thing I had an old prototype in my PC. I had to adjust Muk's EVs to get a result where Electivire *just* dies by Murkwater on the 3rd turn. Then playing on Erick being dumb & keep targeting Scolipede with protect.

Okay, these siblings were annoying as hell to fight.
Starting with Flora, in the beginning I needed Alolan Muk to wake up right away... or Power Whip to miss which was rather wishful coz in intense, our opponents seem to have a +10% accuracy. (No, I'm not polarizing, I've literally never seen a 90% move miss). That poison on Ludicolo made things go in a weird direction, but nothing too off course. And changed Roserade's nature to Nature Cure to ensure the final stretch against that annoyance of a Prankster Whimsicott.

Florin just attempts to wear you down, so I took a similar approach instead of trying to stomp it. That Cross Chop crit in the beginning is essential, but I got 50% chance with Scope Lens, so wasn't too bad, then letting the DoTs run wild while picking out the potential threats with my other 'mons. I kinda wished I could set Aevian Milotic up for a sweep, but alas...

Aaand chapter11 done. I excluded the Zetta vs. Aelita coz that doesn't have much to do with my mono Poison.

One of my first tries, nothing too hard since no pesky fields to make my job 10x harder. I didn't even realise I was using an underlevelled Weezing.

This was actually a first try, similar to before, easy without fields around. That said, his team is pretty solid... except for that last one.

This was surprisingly smooth despite both Aelita & I going up against a weakness. Praise Infiltrator Crobat & Dark type's immunity to Psychic.

Edited by nonsensei

Halfway(?) into chapter12, so here comes Vivian & Valarie:

Vivian gave me a pretty hard time. Decided to just poison stall Tyranitar which meant waiting out on double PP Stone Edge to run out first. Then switching around using immunities to get the right match ups.

Gosh.. Valarie is such a dork.
Anyway, this fight was surprisingly tough coz I hardly had anything to hit super effective dmg. Took me several approaches to get it done. (I just knew that Extrasensory I kept on Roserade for ages would eventually be useful!)

Edited by nonsensei

Finished the alter timeline arc, so it's Kenneth, Melia & Melanie incoming.

Kenneth's proved to be another tough fight, especially coz Lucario's Psychic somehow hit Alolan Muk when I tried to switch it in which made me misinterpret some mechanics on the field. And as such, it turned out to be revenge killing back & forth for the most part. I quickly realised dark is still immune to Psychic afterwards, but I was lazy to backtrack.

RIP Melia. This field doesn't help her too much, at least not against me, so she got pretty much run over.

This was actually a first try after I came up with the strat, but it went flawless.
Luckily, almost her whole team is affected by Toxic Spikes, so I was looking for a chance to pass a speed boost to Aevian Milotic to set it up for a sweep that I was always looking for. And it turned out to be very much successful. I removed Corviknight in the beginning coz I knew she would send it back once the screens expire to set them up again, giving me free turns to target her other 'mons with my guaranteed crits.

This was satisfying.

And here's the Souta fight. Ugh... of course my only flying type doesn't learn Sky Attack through egg moves.
I initially intended to just go full throttle Counter/Mirror Coat with Nidoqueen & Tentacruel (which is plenty functional & I still consider justified, though), but Red Card removing the insanely fast Hawlucha opened up a way to a bit less cheesy approach. Anything besides Braviary getting dragged out into Counter was fine since that's the only one that would go down with a single hit, anyway. After that, putting the next target to delayed sleep, providing Scolipede a free 2HKO (it's either Thundurus or if dead, Hawlucha) & weakening the next since it outspeeds anything by then. The rest is straightforward.

I will be revisiting act1 battles on intense mode with this done, then progress with the rest. (Rock, ground & steel type leaders incoming, uh-oh..)

Edited by nonsensei

Things go pretty fast if I don't have to run around collecting items & progressing story events, so done with chapter1-2 battles. Which means Venam, Rorim B. & Novae, Keta1, Madelis1 and finally Keta2 incoming. I skipped the battles directly before & after Venam coz they're either not even full team or just low levelled... or both.
I will just leave a link to the playlist coz 5 embed is a liiittle too much, I guess.

Venam: the only real difficult with her is the field damaging your 'mons which doesn't concern me, so after a bit of wearing down, I just sent in Seviper with Venoshock & be done.
Rorim B. & Novae: this was pretty difficult until I picked up Intimidate Arbok & focused Rorim B. down first while letting Charjabug with atk down attempt to do dmg.

Keta1: that goddamn Lucario... similar strat as above, but I needed that def down from Rock Smash to finish it off next turn. I gotta say Ariados learning Swords Dance & priority moves this early is pretty nifty, though.

Madelis1: not sure how I feel about this fight, but the key point is having 2-3 'mon remaining on both sides to take out Shadow Mewtwo.

Keta2: Hidden Power Ice being useful (yes, I trained a special attacker version of Seviper). I took Swalot to outlive Lapras coz I didn't really have anything to destroy it, the rest is just whacking each other.
(Highlight of the bundle at Madelis1: Me: "Oh, the A.I. can't be dumb enough to Fake Out a faster 'mon also having it.", then the A.I. goes doing just that.)

Edited by nonsensei

Another 5 incoming in playlist format: Amanda2, Marianette, Aelita1, Eli & Shanon Sharon2 & Geara1.

Amanda2: There's nothing really stopping me from setting up Ariados for a sweep besides that confusion, so there it goes. RIP Amanda
Marianette: This battle gave me trouble even on normal mode due to still not getting any extension to my 'mon choices since start, so I played safe & used a seed. Luckily, Toxic Spikes works, so Seviper with Venoshock made a perfect sweeper after a bit of set up.

Aelita1: nothing too hard here, but I love this theme & Aelita is my favourite character besides Flora. (yes, Flora, go ahead & cast stones at me)
Eli & Sharon2: Not exactly difficult, just the mascots(?) of Team Xen, but they put a proper fight. I just leave Durant running around as it keeps spamming Dig on my poison types which gives me more opportunities to target the other side than it hurts me.
Geara1: The A.I. just loves to focus on Scolipede despite having Protect. Setting up Toxic Spikes in the beginning, then removing Marowak right away as it is pretty strong at this point with damn Thick Club. Then the rest is just business as usual.

Edited by nonsensei

Ren & Narcissa incoming. Phew.. pretty tough ones.

As for Ren, this isn't exactly how I planned this fight, but it works.
Corviknight at this point is pretty annoying for me, so my only chance was relying on sleep & Hidden Power Fire. Then Swalot wearing his team down unexpectedly well. Then just pew-pew.

In Narcissa's case, Ariados with Insomnia saves the day by taking care of the otherwise pretty annoying Drifblim.. and for some reason, Chandelure, too. I'm getting lucky with flinch procs, but I had my way around Dusclops by putting it to sleep with Venusaur before it uses Rest. Then weakening Aevian Mismagius, so Crobat wouldn't be stopped by its Focus Sash.

Chapter5 done, Nim2, Madelis2, Neved & Valarie fights incoming. Didn't have much trouble with these.

Nim2: What happened to the background? RIP Nim, though. Falling into the usual targeting Scolipede mistake, but it goes to the extremes here.
Madelis2: Cave field helps a lot here with boosted Rock Tomb to get rid of her Houndoom & Crobat, so I didn't really have too much trouble. That Fletchinder is.. you probably know.

Neved: Toxapex makes its "first" appearance & is majorly useful fending off that 2 Blizzard, so Hawlucha lives to actually deal some damage. Overall, not too difficult with 12vs6 & still not up against properly EV trained stuff.
Valarie: I think Water Surface is my favourite field now... So you go back to Akuwa Town, catch a Tentacool, train it, then feed it 3 Rare Candies to overcap & learn Sludge Wave, evolve it afterwards & level back. Then profit.

Or at least, I do. Murkwater even gives her water stabs poison sub typing, making my job pretty easy.

Getting close to the end of act1. This time, I got Geara2, Zetta2 & Novae3.

Geara2: How convenient you get a Ducklett egg in Akuwa Town to pass Defog... As usual, that Marowak hurts, so slowing it down in order to have Nidoking still outspeed it with -2. Then getting rid of the annoying entry hazard with Crobat which makes the rest of the fight much easier.
Zetta2: Dealing with that constantly critting Hitmonlee with Unburden is the biggest issue here. I relied on Skuntank's Aftermath to weaken it, then Nidoking could KO it. Once I got rid of that, the rest of his team wasn't too hard.

Novae3: Switches. Switches everywhere. I didn't really need to stall Lycanroc, Tentacruel could OHKO it with Surf just fine, but I was kinda traumatised by flinch proc from Zen Headbutt 5 fights in a row... Some misplay at the end against Passimian, but I sometimes forget fight type isn't resistant to poison & I wasn't sure if Flamethrower could KO it.

Aaand done with the next 4 fights of Rorim B.2, Ren4, Crawli & Sam+Alex. Only Angie remaining & the revisit of Geara+Zetta fight for a less "hax" approach. (Oh, there's Madelis aaand, Aelita..?)

Rorim B.2: Didn't have much trouble with this. Tailwind & rain can be a pain, but the former doesn't last long, the latter is only really an issue on Ludicolo. And I got a Scolipede to make up for speed differences, too.

Ren4: No more screwing around with Swalot like last time. Instead, I screw around with Toxicroak absorbing water attacks. It really came in handy to prevent a few unnecessary casualties.

Crawli: Destroying the key of Crawli's strat with a single Feint.. and the noble sacrifice of Crobat. The fight is much easier without the annoying entry hazards. That, and Tentacruel can actually single-handedly tank his team (-Galvantula) with an Acid Armor & its passive heals. Well, if he doesn't land a crit.
Sam+Alex: I swear these guys gave me more trouble than their boss. The first few tries, I was trying to just mow them down, but eventually went back to the Tentacruel tank approach since it works here as well, just a tad bit slow.

Edited by nonsensei

I made a big mistake on Valarie fight. No idea why I thought Tentacool is available in Akuwa Town, but it is not. Of course utilising debug mode to skip catch/breed/train stuff (that I recently learnt how to use) would backfire on me. Major oopsies.

Anyway, the strat itself is still available, just with Muk. And the flow of the fight turned out to be similar on a ridiculous level. Same order of 'mons, same moves used, heck, same 3 rare candies used, just for learning Acid Armor in this case.

Edited by nonsensei

Phew.. I managed to get through Angie. So here comes Madelis+Grunt & Angie battles.

Playing around with Murkwater, again. And that alone was basically enough to sweep through their teams. Venoshock just murders most stuff on this field.

Oh, boi... this battle is tough even if you alter the field.
Luckily, as long as you got a 'mon active with Wide Guard, the A.I. will mostly refrain from using multi-target moves after the first attempt which means no Cold Truth or Blizzard to change back to the Frozen Dimension. Since I needed Toxapex's constant presence, Regenerator didn't have a point, so I changed it to Merciless to be able to deal some damage with it & bypass potential Aurora Veil. Had to use a seed on Salazzle to outspeed Mamoswine in order to destroy the field & KO the initial two. The rest is just reaping the results.

Edited by nonsensei

Got around to finish the revisit of act1 battles: Aelita2 & Geara+Zetta.

Since it's directly after Angie & without field, I left my 'mons at lv50. I decided to get Tentacruel go full def up since her team is mostly physical, but I didn't expect it to be this effective. And at the start, Hidden Power Ice is still being useful.

I initially thought Crobat doesn't have access to Tailwind, but it seems gen8 dex fixes that which opened up a way for me.
In the beginning, Skuntank's Sucker Punch helped quite a lot, KOing Aerodactyl before it could attack & causing significant damage to Typhlosion before it could use Eruption. I had to use a seed for def up on A.Milotic to safely get rid of Dragonite while saving Crobat from KO to get Silvally. And yay, finally Sludge Bomb available.
(Also, somebody explain me how the hell Shell Trap is supposed to work coz it clearly didn't go off on Dragonite.)

Edited by nonsensei

And I finally return to the post Souta parts. Done with chapter13, so Ren5, Novae4 & Adam up next.

I'm going oddly passive on this one for myself, but Ren also seems keen on killing off his 'mons, so I just help him a bit.

Okay.. this was just dumb. Screwing over the A.I. so bad with Toxapex & Scolipede.
Anyway, this fight was honestly quite annoying with all her speedy 'mons until I found that strat. I especially hate on every single Lycanroc I have to fight. Damn those things.

So Adam tells us he only lost coz of that cursed Inverse Field. And damn right he is. (Or at least, it definitely didn't make my job any harder.)
I finally got access to Gengar & Aevian Parasect. I was planning to do some Hex/Venoshock sweeping with Gengar after setting up Toxic Spikes, but Aerodacytl would have stopped me, so in the end, I didn't even get a chance to use it. RIP Adam.

Edited by nonsensei

Today's progress is a lot of diving. I got Karrina2, Neptune & Aya who I totally forgot about, oops.

Last time Karrina was underlevelled & had no field, but she was somewhat of a challenge this time.
I mostly had trouble with her Incineroar & in the end, had to add a Qwilfish to my roster. Her Fearow is somewhat scary, but not too hard to outspeed & rather squishy. And Nature Power is OP on this field.

Sweet, sweet watery fields. I love (to pollute) them. Underwater battles are very annoying by default, but become much easier to manage if you change the field. Murkwater is homeground to me, so once that was done, I could sweep through her team.

So, I levelled back my 'mons to 80 since this fight is available in the last chapter.
The amount of curses I cast in my head on every single Lycanroc user... I once again used Qwilfish & decided to just give it a seed to counter hers. That Z move, though.. it destroyed a full on special wall Tentacruel. Her team in general is quite devastating if you let them do their thing & I kinda did. The end is sort of all over the place for that reason, but I was happy to get through that goddamn Lycanroc & didn't feel like retrying.

Entering the Zone Zero parts, the dreaded Ryland fight is not far off, but first Eli+Sharon3 & Lorna1.

Sucker Punch mind games, anyone?
This was surprisingly tough nut to crack. Well.. their initial two, mostly. I had Salazzle relearn Toxic, so I could get rid of them both at once with Heat Wave. That said, it sometimes didn't go for Sucker Punch which was rather annoying. The rest was oddly smooth sailing compared to the struggles I had with those two.

Trick Room time, so I bring out my slow 'mons which result in using a not too diverse team. I even got confused which Muk is which coz the shiny is special bulk while the other is atk trained.
I get rid of her Aromatisse ASAP, so it doesn't set both screens up. Then slowly taking out Aevian Lapras & putting FusionRock to sleep, so it doesn't have a chance. I had a cold sweat when I saw Trick Room run out, but apparently, my other Muk was faster than Darmanitan, so it worked out.

Alright, another 2 fights done with one major concern out of the way, namely Ryland. And somehow got through the question marks, too.

That took a lot of struggle, but the moral is: praise the sun!
Luckily, his Nidoqueen tries to set Toxic Spikes up which is literally useless against me. I was worried that crit in the beginning changes something, but fortunately, it didn't. I have no idea why Gliscor didn't straight attack Gengar, but I ain't complaining. Afterwards, setting sun up again, so my Chlorophyll Venusaur with timid nature barely outspeeds his Excadrill. And that balloon on Salazzle at the end saved the day. This was stressful.

Lots of question marks.
This fight is full of RNG factors with crits & misses which can change the result of every single run, leaving me without any specific strategy to come up with. So I kinda just grabbed my first successful attempt, enjoy me thinking for sometimes a minute or so, trying to read the A.I.'s next move in the 836th unfamiliar scenario. The basic idea was that I let my partner do the work with all the seeds & whatnot while I provide support. At the end, I really should have gone for Megahorn instead of Rock Slide to KO the weakened Aegislash, but I was on negative brains by the time I reached there.

Edited by nonsensei

Finishing up chapter14, I got Venus, Isha & Melia4 in my pockets.

That Tauros was super annoying.
I ended up using Life Orb on Crobat to OHKO it with Acrobatics. But then the A.I. goes switching out, so first had to deal with Steelix. After that, Aevian Parasect just destroys the remaining of her team.

I didn't have much trouble with this fight since I released Giratina previously. The biggest issue was that Probopass, but putting Toxicroak back on team solved the issue (even if I didn't end up needing it for the kill). Pretty much just having the right match-ups here.

Melia finally gets a field she can make use of.
Go to 1:25 if you don't want to witness the epic showdown between Toxapex & mega Snorlax. Her Aegislash on this field is a goddamn monster that demanded at least one sacrifice since I couldn't OHKO it. Then there's Mimikyu who I ended up using a seed against.. and it still murdered my Drapion. And Aevian Milotic just had to miss at the end which had Scolipede get one more to the Hydreigon kill count. That always ends up being Scolipede's task.

I'm on a roll, so got 4 fights done: Angie+Cera, Lorna2, Madelis4 & Cassandra. Putting the playlist link, instead as usual for 3+ fights.

Angie+Cera: Angie returns! And her battle didn't change much, so I had a pretty easy job with this one since I already had a working strat from last time, just improved 'mon pool.
Lorna2: Someone's Trick Room is getting nope'd hard. But really.. praise Sludge Wave that I finally got access to. And that's really all there is to it. She's screwed if she can't set Trick Room up.
Madelis4: Florges was just asking to set Salazzle up on it for a sweep. The start was a bit awkward, but her Cincinno is actually bulky enough to tank a Megahorn from Scolipede. And luckily, Florges tries to heal first, so I used my chance to buff up.
Cassandra: Look, it's another one of my favourite: Lycanroc! (Though, there are lots of other threats here.)
The worst part is that I couldn't even send Aevian Parasect against it coz I needed it to avoid losing a 'mon against Shadow Bisharp. Luckily, Qwilfish can make a decent dent on it while lowering atk & it just Life Orb suicided afterwards. Mega Mawile falls to the good ol' Sucker Punch mindgames against Corrosive Salazzle. Unlike Madelis', this Cincinno doesn't live Scolipede's Megahorn, so RIP. Finally, making her Aevian Milotic use Recover to safely pass speed to Nidoking who finishes the fight.

Edited by nonsensei