V13 puppet master intense fight

7ravens

I've replayed the entirety of V13 up to the double battle against puppet master with aelita on intense. V13 is significantly harder as a whole and almost every major boss battle is harder. However, puppetmaster has been buffed so much compared to earlier versions that I don't see how he's beatable. All of their mons are insanely fast due to the terrain and will outspeed basically all of your and aelita's mons (almost every mon on their team also has 100% accuracy hypnosis and have a tendency to sleep you/aelita before you get to attack). They also hit way too hard, their psychic beatdown move will one-shot almost any mon. Also in V13 you cannot change the terrain at all, which you could in V12. They also have a bunch of sash mons and 2 different screen setters as well as 2 mega mons. The mega medicham in particular is silly, that thing can probably oneshot dark mons with psychic moves (its psychic beatdown 100-0'd my 252hp ev slowbro from neutral). The worst part is that aelita is near useless in this fight. Her mon's just dont hit hard enough and usually can't even 2hko most of the opposing mons. They will also die in one hit to any psychic/fairy move so your left in a 2v1 pretty quickly (at which point it becomes 100% unwinnable).  I have a team entirely tailored for this fight and i still can't win. Also another big issues, the break brick tm got moved and I haven't been able to find it in V13, so your pretty limited on choices of mons that have it to break the screens.

My current team is: Heracross, Volcarona (i got really lucky from the mystery egg), meowstic (for my own screens, although aelitas mons still die in one hit even with screens), Luxray with crest, noivern (i bring this one since it has hurricane and infiltrator and can outspeed and 1 hit the medicham), and slowbro (pretty much the only mon that can take more then one hit to get off twaves to cripple all of puppetmaster's fast mons). 

TLDR: Puppetmaster is buffed way too much, especially considering that aelita didn't get any kind of buff. (Actually she got nerfed, since she leads gliscor now instead of starraptor, and starraptor was a much better lead). 

If anyone has been able to complete this fight on intense i'm super curious how. 

Okay, so basically I had to make a completely new team for it.

2 infiltrator crobat with tailwind

protean greninja

magnezone

gengar

meowstic male to set up screens

It's a bit of a slog. I think that if I'd gotten a sticky web galvantula from the mystery egg, my life would've been a bit easier, but c'est la vie.

17 hours ago, SilentEevee said:

Okay, so basically I had to make a completely new team for it.

2 infiltrator crobat with tailwind

protean greninja

magnezone

gengar

meowstic male to set up screens

It's a bit of a slog. I think that if I'd gotten a sticky web galvantula from the mystery egg, my life would've been a bit easier, but c'est la vie.

I just managed to take him down. I had a similiar strategy with using tailwind+my own screens + breaking his screens. Then this bad boy put in some work:

Still, I think this fight is far too unfair. It requires VERY specific mons with specific moves for it to be remotely winnable. You must have your own tailwind and you must have a fast infiltrator mon that can one-hit the medicham (as far as I know noivern and crobat are the ONLY mons that fit the bill). You must also have mons that can set up screens, break screens, and take psychic and fairy hits while also being able to do massive dmg to psychic types. Once you progress to GDC, you can't even get those mons anymore since the only things you can catch anymore are the garbage mons in the city grass. Even with all the right tools and a monster volcarona (which most players wont have), I still only won with one mon left and none on aelitas side. Puppetmaster definitly needs to nerfed, or aelita buffed, or both. I think the easiest way to make this a fairer fight is to allow the player to change the terrain. All of puppetmaster's mons benefit way too much from it and aelita's team matchup vs puppetmaster is way too weak.

image.png

Edited by 7ravens

1 hour ago, 7ravens said:

I just managed to take him down. I had a similiar strategy with using tailwind+my own screens + breaking his screens. Then this bad boy put in some work:

Still, I think this fight is far too unfair. It requires VERY specific mons with specific moves for it to be remotely winnable. You must have your own tailwind and you must have a fast infiltrator mon that can one-hit the medicham (as far as I know noivern and crobat are the ONLY mons that fit the bill). You must also have mons that can set up screens, break screens, and take psychic and fairy hits while also being able to do massive dmg to psychic types. Once you progress to GDC, you can't even get those mons anymore since the only things you can catch anymore are the garbage mons in the city grass. Even with all the right tools and a monster volcarona (which most players wont have), I still only won with one mon left and none on aelitas side. Puppetmaster definitly needs to nerfed, or aelita buffed, or both. I think the easiest way to make this a fairer fight is to allow the player to change the terrain. All of puppetmaster's mons benefit way too much from it and aelita's team matchup vs puppetmaster is way too weak.

image.png

Yeah, the fight def needs a nerf.

It's not just the puppet master that got super buffed, but it's definitely the most unfair. At least with other gym leaders, you don't have to deal with a teammate who is weak to half the leader's team.

• 1 year later...