Discharge or Thunderbolt?

VeronSP

First post--sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this.

In a traditional Pokemon game, Thunderbolt is usually better than Discharge for the higher BP. In Reborn, though, it seems like discharge interacts with field effects more, and there's also more of an abundance of double battles where hitting two targets is helpful. In this game, which is better?

My Pikachu obliterated Shade with Lightningrod and Discharge on the factory/short circuit fields. It's going to learn Thunderbolt in a few levels, but after that fight, I'm not sure I want to lose the field control. 

Any advice?

I'd say Discharge, unless you're going for something like Nasty Plot + Thunderbolt. You'll unlock the move tutor pretty soon anyhow iirc, so you can change to Thunderbolt later.

There will be double battles as well as more battles on fields where Discharge increases in power. For what it's worth, that 30% paralysis chance can come in clutch. Of course, if you don't have good partner Pokemon to work with Discharge, then you might want to opt for Thunderbolt instead.

If you decide to go with Discharge, try to pair your Pikachu/Raichu with a Ground-type or a Pokémon with Volt Absorb like Lanturn to avoid hitting your partner Pokémon. Also, TM Thunderbolt is available in the current version, but it's hidden behind a very frustrating puzzle in the late part of the game. So if you decide you prefer Thunderbolt over Discharge, there's an option to change it later on. 

Why not both? There are few things that your Pikachu soon to be Raichu needs, right?

If I had to make a choice, even if Discharge is cool in double, you'll need the good team mate. Otherwise, I'd rather see my frail Pikachu to K.O. with a stronger move instead of having him taking hits back...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, Nocturne93 said:

If you decide to go with Discharge, try to pair your Pikachu/Raichu with a Ground-type or a Pokémon with Volt Absorb like Lanturn to avoid hitting your partner Pokémon. Also, TM Thunderbolt is available in the current version, but it's hidden behind a very frustrating puzzle in the late part of the game. So if you decide you prefer Thunderbolt over Discharge, there's an option to change it later on. 

Isn't it available after Hardy? At that point it's not going to matter much.

But the Move Tutor is always there.

So I would say plan ahead if you know what's coming.