Help Beating A Certain Outcast in the Desert (Potential Spoilers)

pizzagod13

Edit: After a bit more grinding and planning, I managed to beat the fight. Still would like advice on revisions thought, cause I imagine the future fights are gonna be just as brutal. 

Hello I am playing through the game and enjoying it but have run into a bit of a snag. I got to the point where I have to fight Ren in the desert and oh boy am I not even close. No matter what I try I seem to get stomped. Additionally, this fight is the roadblock to leaving the desert, so I can't really get many new Pokémon to help me. 

My main issues with my current team is that they just get killed so easily. None of them survive for long. Espeon just implodes the second anything touches it, even special moves pop it. Same with Greninja and Oricorio. Venasuar and Incnaroar can take a hit or two but not much else, and Magnazone is just kinda trash, everything seems to one shot it into sturdy. 

The fact that the AI has perfect evs and mine are for the most part garbage doesn't make things better, one thing that I am is considering cheating to make my Evs perfect, but I don't really want to do that... which is why I am looking for suggestions instead.

One thing I am considering is a tanky sweeper with a set up move. The cacturne is a good chance to set up, but I have nothing like that. Maybe the piplup with sword dance would be a good choice? Apparently, my piplup does not have sword dance, no idea why I thougth it did...

But yeah my main party is definitely garbage and needs serious help, I am sick of only being able to win when I get perfect RNG. 

Note: I am also playing with no bag items in battle and set mode. Difficulty is normal.

Any suggestions on what to rework would be appreciated. My boxes/party is attached. 

box1.PNG

box2.PNG

box3.PNG

box4.PNG

box5.PNG

party.PNG

Edited by pizzagod13

First, try to roar Cacturne with a Houndoom. Reset until he sends out or Scizor. This will be important, since you need that one to die before Cacturne comes in again, in order to sweep him with Quiver Dance Ribombee. Houndoom deals well with Scizor, and lures in Greninja (reset if Flygon comes in). Sack Houndoom, and use Magnezone. This might take a few resets, but you should use Thunderbolt with Magnezone when it uses Scald. After that, he should send out Arcanine. Sack Ribombee, and then use Hippowdon to deal with Arcanine, and if it gets OHKO'd by Heat Wave, put a Teluric Seed onto it. After Arcanine is down, he'll send out Cacturne. Break its sash (since you'll be faster with the Telluric Seed) sack Hippo, and then you can just start quiver dancing for Silvally and Flygon.

12 hours ago, Gastronely said:

First, try to roar Cacturne with a Houndoom. Reset until he sends out or Scizor. This will be important, since you need that one to die before Cacturne comes in again, in order to sweep him with Quiver Dance Ribombee. Houndoom deals well with Scizor, and lures in Greninja (reset if Flygon comes in). Sack Houndoom, and use Magnezone. This might take a few resets, but you should use Thunderbolt with Magnezone when it uses Scald. After that, he should send out Arcanine. Sack Ribombee, and then use Hippowdon to deal with Arcanine, and if it gets OHKO'd by Heat Wave, put a Teluric Seed onto it. After Arcanine is down, he'll send out Cacturne. Break it's sash (since you'll be faster with the Telluric Seed) sack Hippo, and then you can just start quiver dancing for Silvally and Flygon.

This is honestly a really good strategy that I wish I heard before I brute forced the fight with numerous attempts over a few hours, until I eventually came out on top.

I did consider trying to use a Ribombee since I have a cuteifly with good Ivs, ultimately I felt like it would just die to Scizor/Arcanine priority moves and a sash would not help since spikes. The roar strategy is something I would not have ever thought of, which is strange since I did abuse roar against the "angel of death".

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions regardless.