Removing pixelation in the graphics

Progfan_r

Hello all,

I absolutely love Reborn and Rejuvenation, but one thing I have always disliked about the games (including other fan-made games made with Pokemon Essentials) is that fact that the games appear highly pixelated in full-screen mode. This is unlike fan-made rom hacks where you can use filters in the emulators to vastly reduce the pixelation. Screenshots are shown below for reference and comparison.

Reborn:

image.thumb.png.d77f52e674db369193f07425a872767e.png

A rom hack:

image.thumb.png.b35a75a3b06a7627c4deb38f1891cec7.png

Is there anyway to achieve the same level of graphics in Reborn/Rejuvenation or other Essentials games? Is anyone aware of someone who is working or has worked on something like this?

The best I could find is this post on this forum from 2015.

• Global Mods

There was this old program that did the same kind of smoothing just on the image files themselves. the predone pack is probably outdated but the program should work if you set it up right?

• Like 1

Thanks!

I don't know how I missed that post when I was searching earlier. The results look very promising. I will definitely give it a try.

Is there any particular reason such programs aren't used by the game devs? Would love to see Essentials fan games have such texture smoothening by default.

• Global Mods
48 minutes ago, Progfan_r said:

Thanks!

I don't know how I missed that post when I was searching earlier. The results look very promising. I will definitely give it a try.

Is there any particular reason such programs aren't used by the game devs? Would love to see Essentials fan games have such texture smoothening by default.

Since a bunch of people probably prefer the more "authentic" look, outright replacing it wouldn't be a great idea (and you can't really do the reverse from smooth to pixel as easily), and supporting both would either significantly increase filesize (two of every graphic) and extra development work to maintain, or a bunch of extra processing power to do it in-place as the game is playing, causing the game to run slower.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Progfan_r said:

Thanks!

Smooth textures are quite unpopular actually.
Majority of players actually prefeer pixelization. I personaly like pixels over smooth too. I think they look way nicer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIGFriv said:

Smooth textures are quite unpopular actually.
Majority of players actually prefeer pixelization. I personaly like pixels over smooth too. I think they look way nicer.

I find that extremely surprising. To each their own.

But it's not just about how it looks, for me the issue is also that my eyes get strained due to the pixelation.