Some Reborn fanart - featuring my personal spin on Decibel, Fern, and Florinia [Art]

SpectralSentinel

Since this is my first post (maybe my only post) here, I figured I should begin with a bit of an introduction before the art.

My name's Fernando, I go by he/him she/her and xe/xir. I first played Reborn 3 years ago. Couldn't get past the Aster & Eclipse battle on route 3, didn't touch it again for a long while. Despite forgetting a good majority of the story details over time, the game really stuck with me because of how incredibly well-designed it is (I study various art forms, including the art of game design). A year ago I replayed and managed to get all the way to Hardy's gym, and that second time around the story and characters left a much bigger impression on me.

I honestly love Pokemon Reborn and consider it one of my favorite games of all time. It has its flaws of course but there is so much tangible effort, soul, and love evident in almost every facet of the game's design. I find the gameplay incredibly engaging too as someone who used to love competitive Pokemon battling in gens 5-6.

Ultimately, I made an account here just to be able to express my gratitude for this amazing game. After my second playthrough I ended up feeling very motivated to draw a couple of pieces of fanart, and even a year later today I still like the drawings well enough, so I decided they might be better shared with the community rather than kept to myself stashed uselessly in my computer's files.

Anyway, the drawings!

First, here is a drawing I did of my Decibel-styled protagonist, Violet, with some information about xem as a character.

deci66.png

One of the things I love about Reborn is that there's a real sense of story immersion, which coupled with the dialogue choices, allows you to feel like you're actively roleplaying and developing the main character. It's easy to fill in their personality and imagine how they would act towards certain characters or events. Reborn is a good example of a silent protagonist done right: they serve as both their own character with a place in the Reborn world, and a medium/self-insert/OC for the player, without feeling like a power fantasy (i.e. NPCs are treated equally as important).

Moving onto the Fern stuff...
Just as a preface, I like to headcanon him as trans, I think it fits well with his character.

fern%20trans2.png

Got the idea mainly from his sprite ^

ferns59.png

Pissed off after losing a battle. ...It's kinda weird having a favorite character with the same name as you. (At least, I'm assuming Fernando is his full name, since it was said somewhere that he and Florinia are Hispanic) Some may be thinking "Ha! Shit taste!" when I call him my fave but I can't help it, I love antagonistic characters with jealous inferiority/superiority complexes. I feed off of their inner angst like a psychic vampire.

fern2.png

Do I even need to explain this

florinia%20and%20fern45.png

I think the conflict between Florinia and Fern seems interesting, hope we'll get to learn more about that, including whatever was going on in that weird trippy Gardevoir void death...place. Also I refuse to acknowledge any interpretation other than Florinia being noticeably taller than Fern and him having a manlet complex about it.

laff3.png

Another bad meme.
{ Violet in the jungle cage, groveling on the floor for Fern to let xem out: Ahhh please you have to understand, I'm just so dummy thick, the clap from my ass cheeks alerted the Nuzleafs x0 ;] ;]
Fern: ...K, this isn't fun anymore. Bye. }

Well, that's everything I had managed to draw before my motivation dried up. If at least one person sees these and enjoys them, then my work is a success. 👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you ( ´・ω・` )  Maybe sometime down the road I will replay and draw more, if not then whenever the next update happens, surely. I don't actually draw very often at all, so the fact that I made this much fanart for Reborn while playing it shows how much I loved it and the characters. (I know I mostly drew Fern but I do love all the characters a lot, except maybe Bennett and Sigmund lol)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking a lot of things right now:

Spoiler

1. Trans Fern is the headcanon I didn't know I had and I thank you for it

2. Your avatar is staring at me like it wants a very steamy tête-à-tête in an alleyway behind McDonalds and I don't like it

3. Honestly fuck Bennet and his equally asinine hair , that's 100% valid

4. Please come back one day, that's quality content right there

Edited by Promethe
grammar, honestly I wrote better in third grade christ
  • Haha 1