Aya Problems

Evilevo666

I am completely stuck on Aya,

my team is;

swampert lvl 45, moves: mud bomb, mud shot, muddy water, take down

magnazone lvl 46 (doesn't obey) moves: charge beam, electroball, flash cannon, metal sound

magmar lvl 45 moves: sunny day, fire punch, lava plume, faint attack

persian lvl 44 moves: swift, nasty plot, power gem, faint attack

unfezant: lvl 43 moves: roost, air slash, gust, quick attack

hariyama lvl 45 moves: strength, rock smash, vital throw, force palm

currently training lantern and Muk to use against her,

Anyone got any advice or tips on how they beat her would be very helpful

A psychic type would really help you out, i suggest either the Ralts or the Abra you find in the beginning of the game but you will have to train them up. Also Woobat can be caught around the area too.

Edited by Pokewatt

yeh i am still having more problems then I thought i would i may try leveling my golem to 44, he may have just enough speed to take out muk and tentacruel and use the oppurtunity to set up sunny day so muddy water doesn't become a problem. i get up to seviper and drapion but thats it...

Aya also has a Nidoqueen that knows Earth Power and a Gengar whose moveset I don't know of (I had a Gardevoir destroy it with a boosted Psychic once it came in). That Drapion is a pain for me to deal with since it knows both Aqua Tail and Night Slash for my Ground and Psychic pokemon, and it's pretty bulky to begin with. It may help to equip Brightpowders to your pokemon for that occasional miss as well.

I managed to beat her using magmar sunny day + fire punch to take out muk and hariyama as a tank until nidoqueen was took out and used faint attack on persian to beat gengar, i then just used magnazone, golem and swampert to sweep the rest of the team thanks for all the help

Heh, which pokemon learns Sunny Day?

Curious if the OP finally beat Aya. After I beat Fern with a lot of struggle, I ended up waiting and training up my Pokemon and swapping out my Infernape for Arkanine.

She's full of surprises, like the Icy Winds, Aqua Tails and Earths Power. I lost the first two times messing around with tactics but finally pushed to get my Flygon. For a Psi pokemon, I recommend Mr. Mime! Substitute is just really nice for the cheap shots she tries, swapping out her Nidoqueen for her Gengar to get off a fast Night Slash to try and take him out of the picture. I got lucky and Dragon Tailed the Gengar for the Seviper and one-shot it the next turn :)

Also, if you're not opposed to using items, use the battle items! My Arkanine with an X-Special easily put the pressure on her team once she swaps to Drapion by spamming Heatwave.

Another piece of advice I'd give is looking to see what levels a pokemon learns moves before evolving them. You can save yourself some time and frustration by training a non-evolved pokemon high then de-leveling it so you can use it. Like Flamethrower on my Arkanine would be good, but Heatwave is better and hits all enemies. Discharge is a lot more powerful of an electric attack for Magnezone but if you evolve it fast, you have to wait until later after Aya (lvl 51) or train Magnemite to 42 instead! And Discharge paired with a ground type in your 2nd slot or a pokemon with Lightning Rod is a good way to pressure Aya at the start.

And you don't need lvl 44 pokemon but they make things easier :) I managed it with a 40-42 team + Flygon (lvl 45) as a ringer but only needed him when she started spamming poke-swaps :( That's when Flygon said SWAP THIS! and the defeat train started with a forced Dragon Tail swap :)

Heh, which pokemon learns Sunny Day?

The Magby line can learn it and Drought Vulpix/Ninetails can summon it without spending a turn using the move. There are other Pokemon who get it, but these two are the easiest ones to get that I can recall.

Curious if the OP finally beat Aya. After I beat Fern with a lot of struggle, I ended up waiting and training up my Pokemon and swapping out my Infernape for Arkanine.

She's full of surprises, like the Icy Winds, Aqua Tails and Earth Powers. I lost the first two times messing around with tactics but finally pushed to get my Flygon. For a Psi pokemon, I recommend Mr. Mime! Substitute is just really nice for the cheap shots she tries, swapping out her Nidoqueen for her Gengar to get off a fast Night Slash to try and take him out of the picture. I got lucky and Dragon Tailed the Gengar for the Seviper and one-shot it the next turn :)

Also, if you're not opposed to using items, use the battle items! My Arkanine with an X-Special easily put the pressure on her team once she swaps to Drapion by spamming Heatwave.

Another piece of advice I'd give is looking to see what levels a pokemon learns moves before evolving them. You can save yourself some time and frustration by training a non-evolved pokemon high then de-leveling it so you can use it. Like Flamethrower on my Arkanine would be good, but Heatwave is better and hits all enemies. Discharge is a lot more powerful of an electric attack for Magnezone but if you evolve it fast, you have to wait until later after Aya (lvl 51) or train Magnemite to 42 instead! And Discharge paired with a ground type in your 2nd slot or a pokemon with Lightning Rod is a good way to pressure Aya at the start.

I mean if you're going to train them and then de-level them you may as well have gone for Flare Blitz on your Arcanine for a few more levels - it's Attack is a higher stat (so you likely won't need the item boost) and STAB Flare Blitz can probably one-shot many of her Pokemon. Hell, you could've picked up Outrage and Crunch on the way for a decent Arcanine set. There's lots of other useful moves he can learn, like Close Combat + Morning Sun through breeding and Wild Charge is a solid TM to use on him (whenever it becomes available).

And you don't need lvl 44 pokemon but they make things easier :) I managed it with a 40-42 team + Flygon (lvl 45) as a ringer but only needed him when she started spamming poke-swaps :( That's when Flygon said SWAP THIS! and the defeat train started with a forced Dragon Tail swap :)

Similarly, Trapinch can get Earthquake (although it's at level 55...) to make this gym a bit easier.

Just a few tips I've picked up through playing through Reborn a few times.

Just a few tips I've picked up through playing through Reborn a few times.

It's about opportunity costs too.

To train to get Flare Blitz, my pokemon must become out of my control.

At no point do my pokemon disobey me. Ever. Monferno (Infernape) found out the hard way what happens to my pokemon when they disobey during the first gym.

Also, I do like to train pokemon, but I also have a life :) Training an Arkanine to get Heatwave took a meer afternoon...with time to start training a Magnemite to get Flash Cannon and Discharge early. And I love me some Earthquake, but it was pain enough training to get Flygon period. Not subjecting myself to the insanity of swap-training or sugar rushing a Trapinch to 55!

Also, now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to teach Arkanine Flare Blitz :)

Arkanine is my support-offensive flame type. I have Infernape for full-on offensive flame type. Arkanine was the ringer in that double battle because of Safeguard and Heatwave (also Crunch). I swapped Arkanine in because the gym is poison and he's not natually weak to it like Infernape :)

Edited by LeoG

It's about opportunity costs too.

Ok, sure I guess.

To train to get Flare Blitz, my Pokemon must become out of my control.

While this is true, you can get an Exp Share from the Lottery Corner and you wouldn't have to worry about that whatsoever.

At no point do my Pokemon disobey me. Ever. Monferno (Infernape) found out the hard way what happens to my Pokemon when they disobey during the first gym.

Also, I do like to train Pokemon, but I also have a life :) Training an Arcanine to get Heatwave took a mere afternoon...with time to start training a Magnemite to get Flash Cannon and Discharge early. And I love me some Earthquake, but it was pain enough training to get Flygon period. Not subjecting myself to the insanity of swap-training or sugar rushing a Trapinch to 55!

I mean in terms of Arcanine Flare Blitz is only 4 levels higher, with Outrage in between at 43. It's not that much farther than you've already trained him to. I'll give you that training a Trapinch to 55 is a bit much though, in my latest playthrough I personally only went as far as Bulldoze for the time being and I'll give it Earthquake when that TM is available.

Also, now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to teach Arcanine Flare Blitz :)

Arcanine is my support-offensive fire type. I have Infernape for full-on offensive flame type. Arcanine was the ringer in that double battle because of Safeguard and Heatwave (also Crunch). I swapped Arcanine in because the gym is poison and he's not naturally weak to it like Infernape :)

Uh..what? Infernape doesn't have a poison weakness so I'm not sure what you mean here. As for using Arcanine as a supportive Pokemon, that's fine I suppose as he has decent bulk and with Intimidate it gets better. Morning Sun becomes a much more desirable move in this case though you wouldn't be able to get it until near the 7th gym at least. Personally, I like him as a physical attacker as he has great coverage but to each his own.

I was merely offering suggestions mate, but it seems that you've got your own way to play and that's cool too.

• 3 weeks later...

To train to get Flare Blitz, my pokemon must become out of my control.

At no point do my pokemon disobey me. Ever. Monferno (Infernape) found out the hard way what happens to my pokemon when they disobey during the first gym.

Pretty sure if you Rare Candy a Pokemon up to learn a move, then Common Candy it back down, it keeps the move. Just a thought...

Wow that is a pretty good trick lol. May have to use that in my Playthrough lol. actually 'nother question......is the Link Stone obtainable before you get to Aya? i want to use Alakazam as my Psychic Poke....and while Kadabra is good and all, I would love the extra damage.