DJ Archlight problem. (Also spoilers for those who aren't far in the post city restoration)

Wolf5002

Good day everyone, I am in a bit of a pickle here.

As you can see the title I cannot for a life of me beat DJ Archlight in Devon Corp. I have tried some tactics to beat his team, but he uses random techniques, like sometimes he uses his hyper potion on his Noivern as I was about to use suckerpunch, or he doesn't use nasty plot on Raichu, or he kills/doesn't kill my Noivern. Short version of this, I can't know when he is about to do these stunts. And do I even need to mention his Mega Ampharos, that pokemon literally stops me in my tracks and no one can kill him.

As this is a Team Showcase I will show my team that probably isn't that good in your eyes, but hey I love this team and I cannot go back PC do to those damn electric tiles, so here we go:

Takumi the Decidueye - Suckerpunch; Leaf Blade; Spirit Shackle; Phantom Force;

Sonya the Noivern - Boomburst; Dragon Pulse; Hurricane; Air Slash;

Brunnya the Crobat - Air Slash; Leech Life; Cross Poison; Fly;

Azama the Simipour - Surf; Waterfall; Rock Smash; Dive;

Naesala the Scrafty - Crunch; High Jump Kick; Payback; Head Smash;

Hinoka the Arcanine - Strength; Crunch; Flamethrower; Heat Wave.

And I know that Simipour and Crobat are useless in a electric type battle, but there's no way I can train my Whishcash or any other pokemon and as I mentioned before, the tiles are basically my kryptonite. It would be very good to know any tips to beat DJ Archlight. Have a good day.

Tip for the future: Don't teach your pokemon only damaging moves, use some Status moves as well. Especially in difficult games, where strategy is important, it will make your life much easier.

Generally it's possible to predict what the AI is gonna do. When your opponent is on very low health, always expect that they might use a potion. Seems random sometimes since they're not always healing, but you should always keep that in mind before carelessly using Sucker Punch or a weak move because it "would do enough at this point". If possible, always go for the move that's overkill just to be sure.

Also I believe that the AI prefers to use a Potion when they know that your current mon needs several hits to defeat theirs. If you need only one or two hits they're unlikely to heal up, so you could gamble on that sometimes.

If the AI knows they can't kill you in one hit, and that they can live a hit from you as well, then they usually go for boosting moves if they have any. Raichu not using Nasty Plot might be either because you used a mon that was able to kill it in one hit, or because your mon wouldn't be able to survive so the AI opted for finishing you off rather than giving you time for a move.

If you repeat certain situations in the battle you can try to learn what the AI does in that exact moment and prepare for next time by choosing an advantageous action.

Noivern's Hurricane and Simipour's Surf are boosted on Electric Terrain, so if Arclight activates it you can use it yourself.

Try teaching someone Bulldoze, I think Arcanine can learn it. It's also really bulky, so it should survive a hit from Ampharos and deal good damage. Scrafty with High Jump Kick might be good against it as well.

13 hours ago, Edo said:

Tip for the future: Don't teach your pokemon only damaging moves, use some Status moves as well. Especially in difficult games, where strategy is important, it will make your life much easier.

Generally it's possible to predict what the AI is gonna do. When your opponent is on very low health, always expect that they might use a potion. Seems random sometimes since they're not always healing, but you should always keep that in mind before carelessly using Sucker Punch or a weak move because it "would do enough at this point". If possible, always go for the move that's overkill just to be sure.

Also I believe that the AI prefers to use a Potion when they know that your current mon needs several hits to defeat theirs. If you need only one or two hits they're unlikely to heal up, so you could gamble on that sometimes.

If the AI knows they can't kill you in one hit, and that they can live a hit from you as well, then they usually go for boosting moves if they have any. Raichu not using Nasty Plot might be either because you used a mon that was able to kill it in one hit, or because your mon wouldn't be able to survive so the AI opted for finishing you off rather than giving you time for a move.

If you repeat certain situations in the battle you can try to learn what the AI does in that exact moment and prepare for next time by choosing an advantageous action.

Noivern's Hurricane and Simipour's Surf are boosted on Electric Terrain, so if Arclight activates it you can use it yourself.

Try teaching someone Bulldoze, I think Arcanine can learn it. It's also really bulky, so it should survive a hit from Ampharos and deal good damage. Scrafty with High Jump Kick might be good against it as well.

Thanks for advice Edo, but I have defeated him finally and now I will take your advice about status moves. I guess I always don't think twice and then wonder why I am in these situations. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes use status moves, like Yawn, but I sometimes think that I will get rid of very good and powerful moves, so that's probably why I am not the brightest human.

TL;DR Thank you and I will take your advise of using the environment and status moves.

Have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Glad to hear you finally did beat him. Just wanted to let you know there will be a point later where you will be facing back to back to back to back tough battles so stat boosting moves, hazards, etc will be NEEDED. Definitely make sure to have some on your team. Additionally, I think it is really important to take advantage in this game of a really simple game mechanic- immunities. Having a ground type for electric immunity, flying for ground immunity, dark for psychic immunity, fairy for dragon immunity etc. is a really effective way of wasting your opponents moves and giving yourself the opportunity to re-assess/re-heal your team if needed. Certain abilities even grant immunity such as Dry Skin or Water Absorb, Flash Fire, Lightning Rod, etc. When you know you'll be hit by a specific attack, swap into your immune pokemon to waste their turn- and potentially take advantage of the stat boosting effects if it is from an ability. Taking that mechanic into consideration can seriously impact the ease of gameplay.