A team to think about

Krellian

Sup guys, Krellian here!

Well, while we wait the e19 to be released, ive been thinking of a team of my own. A balanced and all around team to be used virutally with any battle (i know it seems impossible, but bear with me).

So, with that in mind, i thought of something like this:

- Reuniclus (tricky room setter - special attacker)

- Escavelier (tricky room user - physical attacker (kinda obvious, i know))

- Gigalith (tricky room user and sandstorm setter - also physical attacker)

- I thought of a mega venusaur here (or some other mega evolution)

- I dont know

- I dont know [2]

So, i would like some ideas for these slots and/or another option for Venusaur. Also, what do you say about this tricky room trio? they look interesting dont you think?

Anyway, i thank all for any opinion you may give 😉

PS: I WANT EPISODE 19!!! DEAR GOD, ODIN, ALAH! ANYONE WHO CAN HEAR MY PRAYER! lol

11 hours ago, Edo said:

Mega Steelix - takes advantage of Sand and Trick room with Sand Force and very low speed

Yeah I thought of him, but I'm that type of guy who doesn't like to repeat Pokemon types. I mean, we have 18 different ones! Why use 2 or even 3 of the same? You know what I mean? That being said, I could exchange escavelier with him though

@Krellian I love talking about my team, this is the best time! haha.

Long ago I had the same idea: a balanced team that I could use to beat everything on Reborn without have to change the mons. And I have achieved that. I don't know how to use many strategies, like trick room, so I can't help with mons to use, but if you know how I build my team, maybe you have some ideas for yours.

I won't tell how many changes I've done before coming to this team because there were some, but my goal was to have a fast and strong team, to hit first and hit hard, without repeating types (which is really hard) and having super effectiveness against all 18 types. So let's go:

Blaziken (Fire/Fight) @ Wide Lens

Ability: Speed Boost

EVs: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature

Moves:

- Bulk Up [Boost]

- Blaze Kick [STAB]

- High Jump Kick [STAB]

- Thunder Punch [Coverage]

Blaziken is to be my ace and my mega, considered the best mon in Reborn, has 120 Base Attack and 80 Base Speed, not that fast but with speed boost, it can get faster than any other mon on the team. I use Wide Lens because both kicks have 90% Accuracy and I don't like the frustration of them missing. I'll have to change the moveset once Blazikenite is available.

Greninja (Water/Dark/Psychic/Ice) @ Expert Belt

Ability: Protean

EVs: 4HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

Moves:

- Toxic Spikes / Ice Beam [when TM is available] + [STAB]

- Scald [STAB]

- Dark Pulse [STAB]

- Extrasensory[STAB]

Greninja could easily be ace here too, but there's no Ash-Greninja in Reborn, so let blaziken comfortable. With 103 Base Sp. Attack, Protean making everything STAB and the augmented damage with Expert Belt, Greninja is a great sweeper, plus 122 Base Speed, makes one of the fastest pokemons here.

Roserade (Grass/Poison) @ Leftovers/Amplifield Stone

Ability: Technician

EVs: 4HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

Moves:

- Toxic Spikes / Grassy Terrain / Sludge Bomb [when TM is available] + [STAB]

- Magical Leaf [STAB]

- Extrasensory [Coverage]

- Hidden Power Fire [Coverage]

Roserade is one of the mons I like most. I have won many Gym battles because of Grassy Terrain + Amplifield Stone. 125 Sp. Attack and a good moveset (if well bred) plus Techinician that grants 50% more power to every move with 60 or bellow. I just wish Venoshock was 60 Power too.

Excadrill (Ground/Steel) @ Life Orb

Ability: Mold Breaker

Jolly Nature

Moves:

- Swords Dance [Boost]

- Rapid Spin [Hazard Cleaning] / Stealt Rock [Hazard Setter]

- Earthquake [STAB]

- Iron Head [STAB]

When I was building the team, I needed a good mon against Electric and Fairy. With good base Attack and Speed, Excadrill came like a glove, plus the Hazard dealing, makes it a great addition to my team. Excadrill would be better if I have a Sandstorm setter, like Hippodown or Tyranitar, and the ability Sand Rush, but none of those mons are to my taste (low Speed 😞).

Weavile (Ice/Dark) @ Never-Melt-Ice

Ability: Pressure

Adamant Nature

Moves:

- Hone Claws [Boost]

- Ice Punch [STAB]

- Throat Chop [STAB]

- Poison Jab / X-Scissor / Brick Break / Toxic [Coverage]

Weavile is the only one that repeats type on the team (Dark), unfortunately, I can't find an Ice mon strong and fast enough to replace Weavile and I would need to make other changes on the team so it could work properly. The Ability on Weavile really doesn't matter, none is great for the battles, and so is the item, I just use Never-Melt-Ice to make Ice Punch stronger, I could change it for Life Orb or Leftovers.

Archeops (Rock/Flying) @ None

Ability: Defeatist

Adamant Nature

Moves:

- Acrobatics [STAB]

- Rock Slide [STAB]

- U-Turn [Coverage]

- Dragon Claw [Coverage]

Archeops was the last addition. Great Attack, Great Speed, nice moveset by lvl up and nice typing.

As you can see, I don't think about defenses. If my mons can hit first and OHKO, why would I worry about defenses? haha. Also, I have at least one move that is super-effective against every 18 types so I can cover any mon. And yes, I have beaten reborn, in E17 and E18 without changing any of these mons, I also have used the same team on Rejuvenation, unfortunately, Souta, the flying leader, has a strong advantage with the field and climate there, I had to do an adaptation with Altaria so I could win that specific battle, but at that time, my team was a bit different, I haven't tried with the addition of Archeops. 

Summing up, it's possible to build a team to win reborn without modifications. You just have to think it well, I can't give you suggestions to your team because I never played with a Trick Room team, but I hope you got some ideas seeing my team. And keep in mind a good breeding process for 5 IVs and egg moves, and EV training, this makes a lot of difference.

See ya~

Wow man.... what an insight! I really enjoyed the reading and i must that team is really balanced!

I have to agree that Blaziken is on steroids on Reborn, so i believe i may take your suggestion of Pókemon 🙂

Also, i was a purely offensive trainer just like you

I also read, somewhere in the forum, that, unlike the original games, a Reborn trainer should also think of defenses and hazards and stuff. Thats why i thought of using some mechanincs.

Anyway, i'll take your some of your ideas on my team. Thanks a ton!

2 hours ago, Krellian said:

I also read, somewhere in the forum, that, unlike the original games, a Reborn trainer should also think of defenses and hazards and stuff. Thats why i thought of using some mechanincs.

I think Reborn was made to be played as you would play competitively, that's why you should worry about stuff. That's why Reborn get a lot of players. Tell us your team when it's finished xD

See ya~

Okay... After quite some thoughts, i think i came up with an interesting team for your ratings 🙂  Here we go!

Reuniclus (Psychic) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic guard / Regenerator

EV: (252 HP / 4 Def./ 252 Sp. Attack)

Relaxed Nature

Moves:

- Psychic

- Psyshock (i dont have another one to up here)

- Trick Room

- Recover

Steelix (Metal / Ground) @ (Steelirite) (did i wrote it right?)

Ability: Sand Force

EV: (48 HP / 208 Atk. / 252 Sp. Def.)

Sassy Nature

Moves:

- Dig / Stom Tantrum / Earthquake (i know its a excellent move, but it will hit a friendly mon on doubles)

- Protect

- Stealth Rock

- Gyro Ball

Gigallith (Rock) @ Wide Lens

Ability: Sand Stream

EV: (252 HP / 252 Atk. / 4 Def.)

Careful Nature

Moves:

- Stone Edge

- Protect / Toxic

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake (i guess)

Cofagrigus (Ghost) @ Ghostium Z

Ability: Mummy

EV: (4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk. / 252 Sp. Def.)

Quiet Nature

Moves:

- Shadow Ball

- Trick Room

- Pain Split

- Nasty Plot

Primarina (Water / Fairy) @ Leftovers (how many do we actaally get?)

Ability: Torrent

EV: (16 HP / 240 Def. / 252 Sp. Atk.)

Relaxed Nature

Moves:

- Scald

- Moonblast

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

Machamp (Fighting) @ Flame Orb

Ability: Guts

EV: (252 HP / 252 Atk. / 4 Def.)

Brave Nature

Moves:

- Drain Punch

- Protect / Wide Guard

- Fire Punch

- Facade

Well, that's it i guess. Plz let me know what you guys think of this team! If you guys think its good, bad, what do i need to change, anything! All opinions will be appreciated 🙂

PS: Again.... I WANT EPISODE 19!!! DEAR GOD, ODIN, ALAH! ANYONE WHO CAN HEAR MY PRAYER! lol ( I should start praying for Amethyst i guess lol)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krellian said:

Reuniclus

I have a really hard time to fit Psychic mons in my teams because they are, most of times, poor on moveset through lvl up, and in Reborn it gets worse, because we don't have access to the majority of good TMs, which includes Energy Ball and Shadow Ball, that are, in my opinion, the only good offensive moves Reuniclus can learn with TM, if you think on a straigh-forward offensive team. I tried, for a while, fit Alakazam on my team, but it's moveset, GOD, only psychic moves, and Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam with TMs, a no go to my team. I have some suggestions for better psychic mons, but they are not fit for trick room. Maybe, think about Slowking, it learns Power Gem through move relearner, Water Pulse, Psychic and Nasty Plot through lvl up and it learns Ice Beam and Flamethrower through TM, the last one already being available on Reborn. I know, a Fire move for a Water mon, but I'm thinking about coverage here. With Trick Room setted up, you can deal easily with Grass mons. The same goes to Slowbro, which gives you an extra option for mega.

(i know its a excellent move, but it will hit a friendly mon on doubles)

If you pair Earthquake Steelix with a Flying mon, the last will never be hit :P, Excadrill works well with Archeops on my team.

Gigallith

Here you are repeating moves from Steelix, which takes out options for coverage on your team.

how many do we actaally get?

One, as far as I remember, but you can get through trade, or maybe do some jugglery with savefiles an Shared PC mod to get some 😉

Let's assume you'll always want to start the battle by setting Trick Room, and every mon on the battle is IV bred and EV trained. (If I'm not mistaken, from the Adrienn on, all Gym leaders have pokemons like this)

Now picture a singles battle between us. I know your team, and you know mine. If I start with Greninja, I can easily take out 5 mons with your team before you are able to set up Trick Room. Keep in mind that Trick Room has -7 priority. Maybe Cofagrigus can hold one turn and set it up, but I doubt a bit. . Steelix has high Def stats but very low Sp. Def. Only Primarina would give me some trouble because Greninja doesn't have anything super-effective against it.

Now, we continue knowing each other team. On a doubles battle, I can start with Greninja and Weavile, and I can't see you setting up Trick Room again.

This happens, first because Greninja is insanely versatile and has access to Dark Pulse (deals with Reuniclus and Cofagrigus), Scald (deals with Gigalith and Steelix) and Extrasensory (deals with Machamp). But mostly because your mons weaknesses are the same, as I just pointed, and aside from Steelix and Primarina, they don't have a secondary type to balance their weaknesses. Even if you don't want to set Trick Room on the first turn, as your mons are very slow, my team would be in advantage.

Now, if your opponent take out a Water Mon, how would you deal with it? Toxapex for example, it has great defensive stats and would benefit from Trick Room as well. You'd have Psychic moves to deal with Toxapex as it's also poison, but it would give some trouble because of the defenses + Regenerator abilitie, add the move Recover + Leftover being held, it'd take a while to get it down. Thinking only about water mons, you don't have a Electric or Grass move to deal. The same thought goes to Grass and Ground mons.

If you can set up Trick Room though, it would wreck my team, as they all rely on speed to get through. The way I can think to deal is to use Focus Sash on one of the setters.

See, I'm not saying Trick Room is a bad strategy, I just don't know how to play with it, but I have to know how to play against it as it f**** up my team.

• Thanks 1

LOL i understood you nicely. To be honest, this is my first time thinking of a team that relies on a field mechanics, like Trick Room (originally i used to focus on fast hard-hitting pokemons)

This setting is more of a way to understand more of competitive battles and strategies. Again, thanks a ton for the insight, for i'll use it to make the team better 

• Thanks 1