[WIP] EV Training Spots

Woobowiz

So, there's no easy place for an electric type to train Sp.Atk or Def is there?

Like, most of them are grass types... and the unknown would create an issue as I try to train against them since I already have 148 EVs in my Mareep...

And then most of the defense ones available to us are ground types, unless I missed something?

I'm not learned in the ways of EV training, but if you're looking for defense, wouldn't Venipede and Whirlipede be a good target? If you have access to Byxbysion, that area carries both during the day for +1 and +2 according to the wiki. There's also Koffing and Weezing which also give +1 and +2 defense in the same area. Skorupi give +1 def. None of those are resistant to electric but the alternative is most of the rock types which are resistant to electric.

For Sp. Attack, wouldn't just splitting your training spots to 2 areas be best? Fill out your defense in Byxbysion and the stroll over to Azurine for your oddish and glooms.

Another target for your electric defense EVs would be klinks and klangs in the underground railway but they are high level (30s-mid40s). Not sure if that's undesirable. But an electric looking for defense might aim for bugs and steel types.

I'm not learned in the ways of EV training, but if you're looking for defense, wouldn't Venipede and Whirlipede be a good target? If you have access to Byxbysion, that area carries both during the day for +1 and +2 according to the wiki. There's also Koffing and Weezing which also give +1 and +2 defense in the same area. Skorupi give +1 def. None of those are resistant to electric but the alternative is most of the rock types which are resistant to electric.

For Sp. Attack, wouldn't just splitting your training spots to 2 areas be best? Fill out your defense in Byxbysion and the stroll over to Azurine for your oddish and glooms.

Another target for your electric defense EVs would be klinks and klangs in the underground railway but they are high level (30s-mid40s). Not sure if that's undesirable. But an electric looking for defense might aim for bugs and steel types.

Well, I suppose you have a point.

Although, I must admit, I was looking for easy and simple things to oneshot.

Like, the bugs won't be too much of a problem.... the resistances are annoying for the Sp.Atk.

Is there like an EV checker in the game?

You know how in the other games, 3rd gen and beyond, there's usually a person who tells you if your Pokemon has 510 EVs in them?

They'll say something like, "This pokemon has given a lot of effort" and then give it a ribbon if it has, or say, "I think this Pokemon can put in a little more effort, if it does, I have a reward for it."

This is a very good guide, thank you for it. <:D

I still need to get Department Store stickers so I can get EV lowering berries before I start EV training... Once I do I'll be sure to use this guide and maybe even look for good spots to share with everybody else.

Thanks again.

Is there like an EV checker in the game?

You know how in the other games, 3rd gen and beyond, there's usually a person who tells you if your Pokemon has 510 EVs in them?

They'll say something like, "This pokemon has given a lot of effort" and then give it a ribbon if it has, or say, "I think this Pokemon can put in a little more effort, if it does, I have a reward for it."

I can probably script this if people want it.

I can probably script this if people want it.

That would be really nice if you can put it in!

And, maybe when Hidden Power TM is out, there can also be an IV checker that tells the player what HP type it is too? I know we have Kecleons that can be used to find the type, but they can be pretty difficult to find.

I'm still curious what makes a good EV training spot.

For instance, Beedrill is listed for Special Defense EVs but it only buffs Spec def by 1 and Att by 2 and they don't seem very common.

But a better spot, to me at least, would be Azurine Island on headbuttable trees. The pokemon encountered are Pineco (+def) and Burmy (+spec def) and occasionally Exeggcute (+def), Yanma (+speed) and Farfetch'd (+att). You'll get a lot more Pineco and Burmy through for both your defenses and just avoid Yanma and Farfetch'd.

Would that be considered a good spot? I think the only problem is Burmy use Protect occasionally and Pineco sometimes has Sturdy both requiring using 2 attacks.

I found a better spot to train attack. In the hidden cove at nighttime you find stantler, paras, karrablast, swinub, bellsprout for +1 and ariados, weepinbell for +2(parasect +2 attack but it also gives +1 defense). This place was very easy to train my gallade as it 1 shot everything with psycho cut.

• 5 months later...

My current favorite spot to EV train is just outside the Grand gate. Tauros for +1 atk and +1 speed, or bouffalant for +2 atk. They're lvl 52, so a little high, but you're guaranteed the pokemon you want. Once you've beat both that are just outside the gate, just go back through the gate and they're back again. Been using my spiritomb to kill them for my lower lvl pokemon, since tauros has no moves that can hit spiritomb.

• 2 months later...

Im not sure if anyone has said this yet. But if you go to the pokemon's stat page and press C, you will be able to check the amount of evs it has.

Yes, most people, if not all, know about this as this was a new feature added.

Edited by ~Derpy Simon